• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Call of Duty®: Advanced Warfare - A New Era of Multiplayer

I've watched at least an hour of multiplayer streams combined at this point, and I think this game is really going to alienate some of the Call of Duty faithful. The movement abilities so drastically changes the flow of combat that I think a lot of people who just love pure COD gunfights are going to be turned off immediately. I've already seen this happening in streams, where the guy playing is complaining about it.

I like what I see, because I'm open to some change, but I might be in the minority on that.

I kinda wonder if they're letting you use the exo abilities a little too frequently. I watched a very high level player and he was flying all over the place. Toning down how frequently you can boost might help to alleviate some of that alienation.

I've watched at least an hour of multiplayer streams combined at this point, and I think this game is really going to alienate some of the Call of Duty faithful. The movement abilities so drastically changes the flow of combat that I think a lot of people who just love pure COD gunfights are going to be turned off immediately. I've already seen this happening in streams, where the guy playing is complaining about it.

I like what I see, because I'm open to some change, but I might be in the minority on that.

I've been wanting more mobility mechanics in shooters since forever. Gonna eat this shit up.

woen

Damn, there are so many of you getting physical copies of Call of Duty. I should check callendar if it really is 2014 outside.

Oh yeah, paying 70€ a game digitally is definitively a better option than paying it 50€ physically with a physical blu-ray and the possibility to share or sell it.

Calmine

Yep I got a pretty good price on the Atlas Edition back in July which is why I've got it preordered with Tesco, but if it doesn't turn up I'll just return it and get it elsewhere.

The thing that really concerns me and makes me think it's possible is how they seem to be refusing to say when orders are going out on social media. Wheras with Destiny there was a ton of people asking and they said "they're all going out today" etc. Doesn't seem to be the case with cod, just the usual canned response of "we aim to get all preorders there for the release date".

I don't want to end up buying from somewhere else. I reckon they're bring hush about on social media cause its Call of Duty. Destiny was a big title but they treated it as just a new release.

Yeah, I'm stuck with Destiny for life. :(

Don't give up on Destiny yet, it could be a different game in 6 months.

I like buying digitally, it's just so much easier. Sure I could go into gamestop a year from now and sell AW for 15 bucks but in the event that it's actually good I may want to pick it up and play randomly from time to time. Plus I avoid gamestop like the plague. But I'm not saying buying physically is a bad thing, it's just not for me these days.

If I didn't just recently take off work to go on my honeymoon I'd take off work on Monday just to get the most out of the 2XP. Oh well, I'll just pick it up after work.

This is the first time I've preordered and traded at Best Buy too. I called GameStop and they wanted to give me $13 for Ghosts. Best Buy gave me $30 ($20 plus $10 coupon). I wouldn't have preordered if not for that. I think I may be done with GameStop now after I pick up Dragon Age.

Lol feel you there. If i spent only $40 i wouldnt be as disappointed. It's a 1/4 of what they "promised us". 2 Lvl 30s and i'm bored stiff :/

AW has me even more excited that Destiny (thats just crazy/wrong) and i might go digital for the quick switching even though half of me wants to go disc to return it if there is BO2 style lag comp / hit detection issues.

TTUVAPOR

Banned
This will be the first cod game i buy since cod4. After watching the mp trailers, im super excited for the new arena style combat moves. This game reminds me a lot of unreal tournament and quake.

I also wonder if this is activisions way of competing against halo mcc and halo 5?

RulkezX

Now a guy on HUKD told me he spoke to them on the phone and the guy told him they're sending them all out on Saturday evening... I seriously hope that's not true, otherwise they're going to have a ton of pissed off customers.

Seriously if do that then so much for the Day Zero release promise. No way will it arrive on Monday if dispatched Saturday evening. Only reason why I ordered from Tesco was day zero and 5 quid off first order.

It's 2014 guys, the mail still moves on a Sunday.

Don't give up on Destiny yet, it could be a different game in 6 months.

I like buying digitally, it's just so much easier. Sure I could go into gamestop a year from now and sell AW for 15 bucks but in the event that it's actually good I may want to pick it up and play randomly from time to time. Plus I avoid gamestop like the plague. But I'm not saying buying physically is a bad thing, it's just not for me these days.

The big problem is when you buy a game you don't really like at all, and if you realize that a week or two after buying it, you can actually get $40 back from a place like Best Buy. I just got $40 back for Destiny, and I'm going to do the same for Driveclub this weekend. It's a huge thing to be able to get back 2/3 of your money a couple weeks after a game comes out.

When you buy digital you have no options. You pay the same price, and often more, and you have no way to recoup any of that if you're disappointed.

Duxxy3

I kinda wonder if they're letting you use the exo abilities a little too frequently. I watched a very high level player and he was flying all over the place. Toning down how frequently you can boost might help to alleviate some of that alienation.

I think this is why they included the classic playlist. For those players that got into a match with one of those crazy pros that uses a scuf very well.

I just hope those maps are balanced enough without the exo abilities.

I am gonna try out standard mode at start, but if I feel that the movement creates too much of an imbalance, I'll fall back to classic.

TTUVAPOR

Banned

Most likely they cant play arena style shooters with lots of vertical gameplay. Your avg cod player is so used to everything staying on the ground, point and shoot simplicity.

Bought DZ edition on PSN this morning. I've been watching streams all week and it looks very good.

Have to agree with the poster comparing this to Quake. I get that vibe too from the pace and lateral/vertical movement.

Caffeine

Damn, there are so many of you getting physical copies of Call of Duty. I should check callendar if it really is 2014 outside.

i kinda have to get a physical pc version because internet speed is abyssmal now there is no way im downloading a 30+GB cod game again.

TTUVAPOR

Banned
Bought DZ edition on PSN this morning. I've been watching streams all week and it looks very good.

Have to agree with the poster comparing this to Quake. I get that vibe too from the pace and lateral/vertical movement.

I really do think this is designed to compete with halo 5, because halo 5 is allegedly suppose to be much more arena shooter focused with different ability moves like dashing, stomping, sliding, etc.

Usually activision foresees these things, just like how they competed with bf4.

Most likely they cant play arena style shooters with lots of vertical gameplay. Your avg cod player is so used to everything staying on the ground, point and shoot simplicity.

It's not about what they can't or can do, but it's about what they expect from a Call of Duty game. This game doesn't play like any COD before it, so a lot of people are gonna be shocked by that.

The big problem is when you buy a game you don't really like at all, and if you realize that a week or two after buying it, you can actually get $40 back from a place like Best Buy. I just got $40 back for Destiny, and I'm going to do the same for Driveclub this weekend. It's a huge thing to be able to get back 2/3 of your money a couple weeks after a game comes out.

When you buy digital you have no options. You pay the same price, and often more, and you have no way to recoup any of that if you're disappointed.

True, it's a risk to go digital for sure. Maybe part of it is I'm so used to using Steam over the last few years that it's transferred to my console habits. But I've been lucky, I'm fairly careful with my purchases and enjoy all the games I currently have. I'm more tempted to go physical if it's a single player only game that I know won't have much replay value to it.

Don't prove my ways wrong, Advanced Warfare.

E92 M3

Unfortunately, I've only see 2 maps so far from all of the streams lol. Are the maps in general more midsize to small?

LOL. I don't HAVE the game, obviously I do, but I'm playing on a JTAG console.

Get the fuck outta here.

I don't understand what you just said? He was playing on JTAG? I already switched streams because he was only playing bots.

TTUVAPOR

Banned
It's not about what they can't or can do, but it's about what they expect from a Call of Duty game. This game doesn't play like any COD before it, so a lot of people are gonna be shocked by that.
And if i was to be brutally honest, i would say its time to take the traditional cod design and let it die. This series has been in a design slump since cod4.

RS4-

Unfortunately, I've only see 2 maps so far from all of the streams lol. Are the maps in general more midsize to small?

I don't understand what you just said? He was playing on JTAG? I already switched streams because he was only playing bots.

Oh sorry, he's playing a pirated copy.

Duxxy3

And if i was to be brutally honest, i would say its time to take the traditional cod design and let it die. This series has been in a design slump since cod4.

Some people LIKE that it's, roughly, the same every year. Madden and FIFA succeed because in the end they are still what they were in years passed, with just enough changes. EA probably would not have taken the risk that Activision has taken.

Then make a new franchise?

This is where I'm going with my comments. This seems like a dangerous move by Activision. COD still sells over 10 million copies a year, and those customers expect it to play a certain way. The franchise is slowly losing ground right now, and I fear that a misstep like this, that really alienates the faithful, could be a huge blow to them going forward.

Like I said, I'm cool with the changes, but I think a lot of people are gonna rage come Monday.

LeFAIS

So Activision ninjas have given up? A lot of Germans got early ps4 copies and they are streaming it for a couple of hours now, Multi-player and everything.

This is where I'm going with my comments. This seems like a dangerous move by Activision. COD still sells over 10 million copies a year, and those customers expect it to play a certain way. The franchise is slowly losing ground right now, and I fear that a misstep like this, that really alienates the faithful, could be a huge blow to them going forward.

Like I said, I'm cool with the changes, but I think a lot of people are gonna rage come Monday.

They will have classic playlists as well so everyone should be happy

Duxxy3

I don't think people will rage much, what's likely to happen is the classic play style will be the most popular.

If that happens, which I think is possible, but not at launch, they will need to add more classic modes to the game.

why would i go digital when i can trade/sell my physical copy if I don't want to play anymore? besides not needing to swap discs, what benefits are there to buying digital? I'm doing bestbuy's GCU program so that gets my 20% off the game as well

Well everything else got pushed to 2015, so what else are they gonna play?

In all seriousness, I'm happy with the direction for this year's COD. So much so that I decided to pay full price and I may even pay for a map pack or 2 depending on the quality of the game when those packs release. This is coming from a casual COD player who hasn't bought one since Modern Warfare 2.

I doubt classic will be the most popular. The maps are designed around vertical movement and vantage points. They probably don't work as well if nobody has exo suits. Plus, I've watched a few videos of people who really understand how the jumping and dashing work, and it looks incredible.

Euron

Yep. Destiny burned me hard. That's why I won't buy a digital copy anymore unless it's something I know will be amazing with tons of replay value.

If reviews are out on Monday, I'll probably make a decision of whether or not I want to buy CoD: AW before the regular edition releases.

Natels

Nice! How easy/hard was it to create an Aus account? Will PS+ carryover from the U.S. account? Any gotchas or things I need to watch out for?

Really easy, just create an email (or use some spare email you have) and follow the steps on the PS when creating the account. PS Plus will carry from your US account. :)

Anyone know if Headquarters has been renamed to Hardpoint right? HQ was the main thing my buddies and I played, we skipped Ghosts because of it.

TTUVAPOR

Banned
Some people LIKE that it's, roughly, the same every year. Madden and FIFA succeed because in the end they are still what they were in years passed, with just enough changes. EA probably would not have taken the risk that Activision has taken.
Madden and fifa are sports games, cod is diff, cod4 to me was a huge change from cod2 and funny thing is, most cod players have never even played cod2, so they cant mentally compare. I think that since cod4, the game has gotten more and more stale. Im not the demographic for cod, at least not since post-cod4, i love arena shooters and titanfall was a huge letdown. If codaw can bring in new arena shooter gameplay mechanics and it works, then thats a success to me, even if it means losing the cod faithful, they will just be replaced with new blood, itll even itself out.

Natels

Anyone know if Headquarters has been renamed to Hardpoint right? HQ was the main thing my buddies and I played, we skipped Ghosts because of it.

Nope, it's different. Hardpoint you have to control an area of the map and 1 second = 1 point. Your team needs at least one player in that zone to get points, and if there is an enemy player aswell it gets contested and neither team scores

Top Bottom