• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official December NPD HW Prediction thread (Today's the day)

GhaleonEB

Dahbomb said:
Its November + Decembe sales for 360, which are actually more like 1.4-1.5 million for 360 (November's NPD for 360 were 512K), 1.3 million for Wii and 550K for PS3. It's NOT 2 million for 360 in December alone.
And bear in mind those are for NA, not just the US. So 360 probably breaks down something like this:

511k November US
~90k November rest of NA
1.2m December US
200k December rest of NA

Total 2m

Just guestimating, but a bit should be backed out for the NA --> US difference.

jamesb23

The numbers in the CNBC video that gamesindustrybiz cited are BS. Those are IDC forecasts and NOT NPD numbers. I just checked with the NPD rep who confirmed to me that the confusion is from "sloppy reporting."

CSFB NPD PREVIEW

NPD Preview & January Release Update

Release: Jan 11
Dec Sales up 15-20% YOY - The acceleration in December from November’s +15% y/y will come from increased supply of the Wii and PS3 as well as continued strength across the PS2, NDS, and 360 platforms

EA Flat YOY

Activision’s +15% y/y (Guitar Hero II, Call of Duty 3, and Marvel Ultimate Alliance)

THQ’s +25% y/y (WWE Smackdown vs. Raw 2007 and the continued strength of the PS2 and NDS platforms.)

Take-Two -15% y/y (lack of product for the Wii and NDS systems, offset by a full month of sales for GTA: VCS and the company’s lineup of sports titles.)

farnham

Banned
sonycowboy said:
CSFB NPD PREVIEW

NPD Preview & January Release Update

Release: Jan 11
Dec Sales up 15-20% YOY - The acceleration in December from November’s +15% y/y will come from increased supply of the Wii and PS3 as well as continued strength across the PS2, NDS, and 360 platforms

EA Flat YOY

Activision’s +15% y/y (Guitar Hero II, Call of Duty 3, and Marvel Ultimate Alliance)

THQ’s +25% y/y (WWE Smackdown vs. Raw 2007 and the continued strength of the PS2 and NDS platforms.)

Take-Two -15% y/y (lack of product for the Wii and NDS systems, offset by a full month of sales for GTA: VCS and the company’s lineup of sports titles.)

THQ is strong on the NDS platform.>?????:lol

elostyle

Never forget! I'm Dumb!
farnham said:
THQ is strong on the NDS platform.>?????:lol
B000FM0SSM.01._AA280_SCLZZZZZZZ_V62643727_.jpg
B000ERVLZM.01._AA280_SCLZZZZZZZ_V64254703_.jpg
B000A3ON5A.01-A1NDBS7YGOPBD6._AA223_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

B000FDDO82.01._AA280_SCLZZZZZZZ_V62644018_.jpg
B000FLZF90.01._AA280_SCLZZZZZZZ_V62643992_.jpg
B000FII14E.01._AA280_SCLZZZZZZZ_V62644195_.jpg

B000CQ75RI.01-A23NLORBGXOLEO._AA280_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg
B000ARJIAG.01._AA280_SCLZZZZZZZ_V64699412_.jpg
B000FNY4TA.01._AA280_SCLZZZZZZZ_V40386383_.jpg

B000ARJIA6.01-A23NLORBGXOLEO._AA280_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg
B000AMJVE4.01._AA280_SCLZZZZZZZ_V40908888_.jpg
B000K7UE7C.01._AA280_SCLZZZZZZZ_V48566623_.jpg

B000BLFAOO.01._AA280_SCLZZZZZZZ_V64700218_.jpg
B000A3ON50.01._AA280_SCLZZZZZZZ_V64700266_.jpg
B000FDDN4C.01._AA280_SCLZZZZZZZ_V62643811_.jpg

B000CNGBJY.01._AA280_SCLZZZZZZZ_V40908855_.jpg

?

I even omitted ping pals!

farnham

Banned
elostyle said:
B000FM0SSM.01._AA280_SCLZZZZZZZ_V62643727_.jpg
B000ERVLZM.01._AA280_SCLZZZZZZZ_V64254703_.jpg
B000A3ON5A.01-A1NDBS7YGOPBD6._AA223_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

B000FDDO82.01._AA280_SCLZZZZZZZ_V62644018_.jpg
B000FLZF90.01._AA280_SCLZZZZZZZ_V62643992_.jpg
B000FII14E.01._AA280_SCLZZZZZZZ_V62644195_.jpg

B000CQ75RI.01-A23NLORBGXOLEO._AA280_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg
B000ARJIAG.01._AA280_SCLZZZZZZZ_V64699412_.jpg
B000FNY4TA.01._AA280_SCLZZZZZZZ_V40386383_.jpg

B000ARJIA6.01-A23NLORBGXOLEO._AA280_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg
B000AMJVE4.01._AA280_SCLZZZZZZZ_V40908888_.jpg
B000K7UE7C.01._AA280_SCLZZZZZZZ_V48566623_.jpg

B000BLFAOO.01._AA280_SCLZZZZZZZ_V64700218_.jpg
B000A3ON50.01._AA280_SCLZZZZZZZ_V64700266_.jpg
B000FDDN4C.01._AA280_SCLZZZZZZZ_V62643811_.jpg

B000CNGBJY.01._AA280_SCLZZZZZZZ_V40908855_.jpg

?

I even omitted ping pals!

okay those games completely fell out of my radar...:lol
how are these games anyway.. never understood the buzz about spongebob

i always thought THQ = Wrestling only

DS>>>>PS2>>>360>Wii>>>>>>>>>>PS3

I think that previous thread with 360 at 2million won't be borne out, however it would be some indication that $400 is only really feasible expenditure at Xmas. If 360 does hit around the 1.4 million needed to hit 2 million Nov/Dec then I expect it to be <200k a month in 2007 until the inevitable price drop.

I'll stick my neck out and predict that 360 will only just scrape past a million.

jamesb23 said:
The numbers in the CNBC video that gamesindustrybiz cited are BS. Those are IDC forecasts and NOT NPD numbers. I just checked with the NPD rep who confirmed to me that the confusion is from "sloppy reporting."

I've heard the same. The person who made the December predictions was IDC analyst, Billy Pidgeon.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
farnham said:
THQ = Wrestling only
Well that was a wasted thought, THQ has always been the biggest company to make crappy licensed games off kids movies and cartoons.

threeball

Banned
jj984jj said:
Well that was a wasted thought, THQ has always been the biggest company to make crappy licensed games off kids movies and cartoons.

Some THQ rep came by the Circuit City at the PS3 launch. She was gorgeous...

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
sonycowboy said:
I've heard the same. The person who made the December predictions was IDC analyst, Billy Pidgeon.
It's too bad that the CNBC video isn't free anymore (it was when it was first posted here) so there would be less confusion.

Sharky

Banned
However, IDC's projections might be fairly close to the final numbers. While NPD hasn't publicly announced any preliminary numbers for December hardware sales, Wedbush Morgan Securities analyst Michael Pachter mentioned some figures this morning in a note to investors regarding Electronic Arts. Pachter referenced an "early assessment" by the NPD "suggesting" December Wii sales of 1.3 million systems and Xbox 360 sales of 1.5 million units. Combine that with the already announced November sales figures for those systems and you wind up with almost 1.78 million Wii systems and just over 2 million Xbox 360s sold for the holiday season, essentially the same numbers estimated by IDC.

Gamespot to the rescue?

http://www.gamespot.com/news/show_b...d=25281280&sid=6163714&tag=latestnews;title;4

At the risk of buying into more Xbox360 overhype, 1.5m=very nice if it pans out. Well above any month Xbox1 ever had.

That would put USA LTD sales at just under 5m, and by my extrapolation methods put WW sales at over 8 healthy million. Meaning 10m shipped is likely. Which it was all along, Ms would have shipped a mil to Bill Gates Grandma if neccesary,

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Pachter referenced an "early assessment" by the NPD "suggesting" December Wii sales of 1.3 million systems and Xbox 360 sales of 1.5 million units.
Poor Odysseus. :(

Sharky

Banned
Of course just now the thought occurred to me that maybe Pachter is just using the same erroneous games industry biz report as the basis for his "npd" figures (remember, the original GIbiz report refers to them as NPD not IDC, maybe pachter never got the correction memo)..

Oh well we'll see I guess.

The predicted numbers on CNBC were incorrect.
arstechnica contacted NPD group and here's what they responded:
We release monthly data only for video games and Dec./year-end data won't be released until next week. The only data we've released is Nov. sales data, nothing more.

NPD hadn't released any numbers. In fact, the information cited by the outlets reporting the story was "simply incorrect," according to NPD. I later received the following e-mail from NPD:

http://arstechnica.com/journals/thumbs.ars/2007/1/3/6462

I guess we just need to wait.

JCBossman

Banned
Ok here goes Nothing(my first guesstimate) of Next gen sales for FULL month December
X360= 1.6million
Wii = 1.1Million
PS3 = 680K

Xbox360 sold Strong in Canada due to the great bundle deals, did well in the US, because of same
Wii would have done better, but the "strap" situation slowed them down from restocking.
PS3, besides launch, sales IMHO have been lackluster

Sharky said:
Gamespot to the rescue?

http://www.gamespot.com/news/show_b...d=25281280&sid=6163714&tag=latestnews;title;4

At the risk of buying into more Xbox360 overhype, 1.5m=very nice if it pans out. Well above any month Xbox1 ever had.

That would put USA LTD sales at just under 5m, and by my extrapolation methods put WW sales at over 8 healthy million. Meaning 10m shipped is likely. Which it was all along, Ms would have shipped a mil to Bill Gates Grandma if neccesary,

Pacther got tripped up by the CNBC thing, the same as thousands of "news" sites out there. It ALL goes back to that IDC analyst. His NPD preview should be out Monday/Tuesday.

Also, Gamestop will be having a conference call to go over their holiday sales tomorrow.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
sonycowboy said:
Pacther got tripped up by the CNBC thing, the same as thousands of "news" sites out there. It ALL goes back to that IDC analyst. His NPD preview should be out Monday/Tuesday.

Also, Gamestop will be having a conference call to go over their holiday sales tomorrow.

Managers hear that conference call tomorrow, right? If so, my boy Brad is getting a phone call

Mifune

Mehmber
Wedbush Morgan Securities analyst Michael Pachter mentioned some figures this morning in a note to investors regarding Electronic Arts. Pachter referenced an "early assessment" by the NPD "suggesting" December Wii sales of 1.3 million systems and Xbox 360 sales of 1.5 million units.

360 sales of 400K confirmed.

AniHawk

If Pachter's close, that'd be a helluva lotta of Wiis for its first two months. Doesn't leave much for Canadia.

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
I think the Wii and 360 will have disappointing sales now that the IDC analyst got our hopes up. I really believe there is a good chance both will be under a million.

jon61586

duderon said:
I think the Wii and 360 will have disappointing sales now that the IDC analyst got our hopes up. I really believe there is a good chance both will be under a million.

Just Curious how do you explain this reasoning?

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
jon61586 said:
Just Curious how do you explain this reasoning?

For Wii I have to question whether Nintendo was able to ship a million consoles in December. They were always sold out, but shipments seemed to be few and far between. 360 now has next gen competition and i don't think it's going to hold up as well as the IDC analyst predicted. The tracking period for December could invalidate these points but i don't think either will be over a million.

Some nice Datapoints the past couple of days.

Gamestop

"same-store" sales up 24% YOY and 29% overall (including new stores)

Gamestop said:
The top five new video games sold during the holiday period were GEARS OF WAR from Microsoft, FINAL FANTASY XII from Square Enix, LEGEND OF ZELDA: TWILIGHT PRINCESS from Nintendo, GUITAR HERO 2 from Activision, and WWE SMACKDOWN vs. RAW 2007 from THQ.

Best Buy

"The entertainment software product group posted a comparable store sales increase of 8.8 percent, as strong gains in video gaming more than offset continued softness in CDs and DVDs. Gaming delivered a solid double-digit comparable store sales gain, reflecting the addition of new platforms and a variety of price points."

Circuit City

"In the entertainment category, Circuit City produced a double-digit comparable store sales increase in December, reflecting a strong-double-digit comparable store sales increase in video gaming products and accessories. Comparable store sales of video software increased by low-single digits, and comparable store sales in music software declined by double digits."

Lazard Capital (analyst)

Expects 5% increase in SW, with overall sales up 10% (PS3 @ $600 helps)

The Lazard Capital analyst believes that the top titles for the month included Call of Duty 3, Guitar Hero 2, WWE Smackdown vs. Raw 2007, Gears of War and Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess, adding: "We also believe that Red Steel (for Wii) and Resistance: Fall of Man (for the PS3) were among the top sellers on the two new console platforms."

IDC (market research)

Expects 1.5M 360's, 1.4M Wii, & 550k PS3

starship

psycho_snake's and The Black Brad Pitt's B*TCH
sonycowboy said:
Some nice Datapoints the past couple of days.

Gamestop

"same-store" sales up 24% YOY and 29% overall (including new stores)

Best Buy

Circuit City

Lazard Capital (analyst)

Expects 5% increase in SW, with overall sales up 10% (PS3 @ $600 helps)

IDC (market research)

Expects 1.5M 360's, 1.4M Wii, & 550k PS3
Ubisoft is happy with the sales of Red Steel.

RamzaIsCool

The Amiga Brotherhood
Wow the new NPD is like one week away....time goes by fast, it has been 1.5 months since the PS3/ Wii launches. Does this mean we can stop using the next gen word and go over to current, previous and waggle gen.

starship

psycho_snake's and The Black Brad Pitt's B*TCH
Estimates of 1.4m for Wii and 1.5m for X360 from IDC? These estimates are very close.
GAF will assplode if Wii outsold X360 in Dec.

Krowley

starship said:
Estimates of 1.4m for Wii and 1.5m for X360 from IDC? These estimates are very close.
GAF will assplode if Wii outsold X360 in Dec.

It would definitly cause an explosion on the boards, but i personaly don't think it would be all that shocking... not because x360 is in trouble or anything, but just because wii is the new hot item at the moment...

I'm sure they could have outsold 360 if they had the supply. Same goes for ps3 probably. The new hotness is always gonna have a sales boost.

the only surprising thing about it would be that nintendo got that many systems into circulation.

donny2112

sonycowboy said:
If it's out on legitimate media sites, it's fine to post.

What about NPD numbers released by Nintendo on their media site?

You have to have the media username and password to access it. However, that is usually public knowledge around E3, and there are press members here who have access to it, too. It's being released by Nintendo to the "press," so I'd interpret that as them intending it for public consumption.

Solsc

Krowley said:
It would definitly cause an explosion on the boards, but i personaly don't think it would be all that shocking... not because x360 is in trouble or anything, but just because wii is the new hot item at the moment...

I'm sure they could have outsold 360 if they had the supply. Same goes for ps3 probably. The new hotness is always gonna have a sales boost.

the only surprising thing about it would be that nintendo got that many systems into circulation.

I agree with you on the point that the Wii would have out sold the 360 if the supply was there but I have to disagree with you when you say so would the PS3.

By the end of December the supply was greater then demand for the PS3 in most places.

Krowley

Solsc said:
I agree with you on the point that the Wii would have out sold the 360 if the supply was there but I have to disagree with you when you say so would the PS3.

By the end of December the supply was greater then demand for the PS3 in most places.

Yeah if the reports are true, that appears to be the case, but with the ps3, there was a problem with early supply. I think they created the perception in consumers that the ps3 was unavailable in the early going, then when they increased supplies, People had already spent their money on other things during the holidays.

With an item as pricey as the ps3, that kind of thing can make a difference. I think price/demand might be a big issue with the ps3 in the long term, but i think if they had been as readily available as wii from the beginning, they could have sold a similar number this christmas.

edit// assuming that they really did undersell, obviously.. I think there is still a chance that they sold more than anybody is predicting.

PistolGrip

sex vacation in Guam
Solsc said:

Yes because a few people in middle america posted they saw PS3s in their stores.

Don't people think critically anymore? Hey Solsc I saw a bunch of DSes at my local store I guess the DS is selling like ass

GhaleonEB

Krowley said:
Yeah if the reports are true, that appears to be the case, but with the ps3, there was a problem with early supply. I think they created the perception in consumers that the ps3 was unavailable in the early going, then when they increased supplies, People had already spent their money on other things during the holidays.

With an item as pricey as the ps3, that kind of thing can make a difference. I think price/demand might be a big issue with the ps3 in the long term, but i think if they had been as readily available as wii from the beginning, they could have sold a similar number this christmas.
Random anecdotal note: I actually got to some stores today, first time in a month. Target had a full case of PS3's, full case of 360's. Probably 10 each. EB had four PS3's at the top of the shelf behind the counter. Of course, this was in some podunk town just accross the border in Washington (population ~20k) so it's not the best example. That said I absolutely could not find a 360 when I was looking in March - it took until the first week of April before they were on shelves regularly here. From reports Sony has ramped up their production much faster than MS was able though.

I personally don't read anything into that just yet, but since anecdotal reports are all the rage I thought what the hell. Sales in January-March will be more indicitive of the supply/demand situation, since I still think 99% of what hit stores sold in December.

Solsc

TheProfessor said:
Yes because a few people in middle america posted they saw PS3s in their stores.

Don't people think critically anymore? Hey Solsc I saw a bunch of DSes at my local store I guess the DS is selling like ass

Its more then just "a few people in middle america" I have seen many claims of PS3s sitting on store shelfs (I personally have not (except for the bestbuy.com thing) and for all I no they could be lieing)

But there are other ways to tell about the lowering demand of the PS3 including the decline in the price on Ebay and the increading price of the Wii.

And you can't compare a system that came out OVER 2 years ago still being in stock compared to a system that came out a month ago.

AlternativeUlster

Absolutely pathetic part deux
TheProfessor said:

Yeah but I have seen a lot of them. A freaking lot.

fusoya59

lets give this a shot:
1) ds - 2.5 million
2) ps2 - 1.1 million
3) x360 - 980k
4) wii - 950k
5) gba - 755k
6) ps3 - 620k

ds cuz of the 2.5mill / month thing
ps2 cuz it's a damned nice present for $ 129
x360 cuz of the price tag
wii cuz of the 4 mill end of year thing (guessing 1m jpn 1.6m usa 0.4m canada 1m other)
gba cuz of production cuts
ps3 cuz of price tag + low supply

Top Bottom