• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Destiny Alpha Withdrawal Thread

Frostburn

Fun times this weekend. Wish I had more chances to play it but I was already interested and had pre-ordered a long time ago but getting to play it and affirm how good it is, all I can say is I can't wait to play more.

1.) What class did you find most appealing? Why?

I picked Warlock and enjoyed it right from the start. Seemed like the caster type, I like flinging spells if I can.

2.) What race did you pick? Why?

Went Human for my Warlock and he came out okay but I also really like Exo (Made an Exo Hunter that looked badass). I usually play human males in most games, just feels right when I can create a character though I'm not opposed to playing other genders/races in games as long as they are cool.

Fuckin lol.

I logged off the alpha for the last time and looked at my 30+ deep steam backlog like. ..
"Mannnnn I don't wanna play any of this crap. ."
I love this thread and the OP

:Group hug: we'll get thru this together!

Mikey Jr.

Guys, that speeder.

THAT FUCKING SPEEDER.

It is so fucking perfect. They absolutely nailed the way it moves. It is just so god damn fun.

Plus its in MP too. I feel so badass driving around on it on the moon.

Guys, that speeder.

THAT FUCKING SPEEDER.

It is so fucking perfect. They absolutely nailed the way it moves. It is just so god damn fun.

So much this. Easily the best vehicle to pilot that Bungie has ever developed. I keep expecting to hear the deep bellow of the Star Wars speeder when I boost though.

I was hyped for this game prior to the alpha, but after playing the alpha, my hype level is just now through the roof. I seriously cannot wait for the beta and the official launch.

Kelsey

Banned
I pre-ordered on PSN. I'm assuming they're going to send me another email when the beta comes out that has the code. They did that with the Alpha, which was a nice surprise.

Guys, that speeder.

THAT FUCKING SPEEDER.

I was blown away when I realized you could use it in PvP. Being able to instantly summon a vehicle is so god damn cool. And it handles like a dream.

Kelsey

Banned
I was blown away when I realized you could use it in PvP. Being able to instantly summon a vehicle is so god damn cool. And it handles like a dream.

The upgraded version handles even better. Adds left-right shift to the L1 R1 buttons.

I pre-ordered on amazon and got a beta code but can't redeem it. Assuming i can't until the beta actually starts right?

Read the email. It tells you where to redeem it.

Question for everyone; would love to see what GAF chose:

1) Played both Hunter and Warlock. I prefer the double jump over whatever it is the Warlock has. Outside of that I think I like the Warlock more. I'd need to see all their skills in action but off of the descriptions I think I'll go with Warlock the first time around

2) I liked Awoken the most. Pretty cool aesthetic with the weird translucence to their skin but otherwise humanoid appearance. I can never get into full blown aliens. This is about as close as I'll go.

Adding another question

3) Did you play as a chick? Be honest

Yes. Yes I did. If there were beards I would have played a dude without question. Can't relate to these smooth faced freaks

No problem, sorry for the snark, just feeling super excited to be in the beta without committing to a purchase.

That was snark?

Zok310

Banned
Shit, it's only been an hour and I can't seem to get it through my head that I won't be able to log on and get a quick game.
The next 30 days are gonna be hard.
So cool for Bungie to make us play the alpha.

This alpha was better than most
Finished games.
The bounties alone gives the alpha massive replayability.

jaaz

I really don't think there has ever been a game with a more brilliant execution of an alpha OR beta. That alpha alone probably convinced thousands to buy the game who were previously on the fence.

Maligna

Banned
Just spent an hour making a sharefactory video with all my clips from the Destiny Alpha. I'll always have the memories now.

Toxa

I'm so sad such a great game, can't wat july 17th and the september

10344215_10204139309430010_4944851709347339777_o.jpg

10446113_10204144691524559_7416045264168505524_o.jpg

fishbang

1) I played all three, but I enjoyed the Titan the most by far. I greatly prefer their jump special and find it the most flexible and controllable. I also like their base grenade type (disorient) well enough, and I appreciate the extra armor and survivability. I also play paladins/warriors/barbarians and tanks or heavies of any sort when I can, so it's a natural fit.

2) I played (and prefer) Exo (male), because the antenna options are better than the hair.

Ha, good addition!

I can say that I didn't play as a woman this time. Funny, because I often do. I made a real bad ass looking human female Hunter, but ended up not really playing her. I really liked the male Exo designs, so I went male.

jaaz

1) Played both Hunter and Warlock. I prefer the double jump over whatever it is the Warlock has.

Did you unlock the Warlock attribute that lets you have more control over the hover jump he/she does? Once I did, there was no going back to the Hunters or Titans jump. Hovering around in mid-air and them unleashing the Warlock's super at the height of the hover was so damn fun and looks so damn cool.

Not payed that much attention to the story, and I'm probably wrong - but damn does the traveller seem evil to me.

Society gets destroyed and this thing shows up just in time to "save" everyone, and humanity is just indoctrinated into this weird-ass cult. Then on the word of the traveller and a talking iphone you go attack a "hostile" alien race who are living in the old colonies.

And look at your reverence! You fools are all buying into it.

BokehKing

Banned
I just wanted to take one more screen shot
Find one more dead ghost
Turn one more corner I didn't discover all weekend.... It was just an alpha but I treated her like a full retail game. Easily will be my game of the year.... Sure other games will come out (Batman, evolve, cod)
But this will be my jam..
Beta in July then I'll have Diablo 3 to hold me down until this releases...

GOD damn I miss her, such a beautiful tease

Revengineer

Unconfirmed Member
That was snark?

Well, not really, but I could see that it could be perceived as me being a dick!

EDIT - I played as a chick for my second two characters to see what the females for the human/human-like races could look like. Very good models, and I love the hair. I like that none of them are oversexed, but all of them are interesting in their own right.

1) Played all three but still in love with my first pick the warlock. The super is brillant and the powers were great.

2) Awoken - to basically create my new alien waifu (seriously i am talking liara levels here). I just hope she actually speaks in the campaign.

TwoDurans

"Never said I wasn't a hypocrite."
Goodnight, sweet #Destiny Alpha; and flights of angels sing thee to thy rest.

I'll see you all in the Beta.

1.) Originally, the Warlock is what intrigued me. But after playing all three classes, it's a tough choice between Titan and Warlock. I love the space magic, but also being clad in heavy armor reminds me a lot of the Spartans from Halo, and smashing stuff was a blast.

2.) Exo is by far my favorite. Who doesn't like sentient robots? Also, they kind of remind me of Bionicles.

You know what the alpha was so damn good I think Im good to go till September. Will be a sucky wait but every little worry I may of had is gone and every thought I had as to how amazing this game could end up being was basically confirmed.

Loved every second. Now will go on media blackout for this and Bloodborne till release. Want to go in almost like it is a new game to me.

Kelsey

Banned
Adding another question

Of course. They're easier on the eyes, and in any game with a third person view they take up less room on screen, and since they're almost always smaller than their male counterparts, they also give the illusion of moving faster.

nI2AI3o.jpg

usoBU1w.jpg

Ever since these images, I'd been wanting to play as an Awoken Warlock, so that was the first one that I made. I reached level 6 before I started to notice that I wasn't particularly enjoying it. I didn't like the jump or weak melee and how the grenade stuck to walls instead of bouncing. As for aesthetics, I thought the robes and helmets were nice, but the gauntlets, boots and bands we had available were either really loud or really dull. Nova Bombing an Interceptor on First Light was probably the highlight of my initial Warlock playtime.

I ran into a Hunter who had a cool looking cloak and it piqued my interest. The way the hunter looked with the hooded cloak while sniping and using the golden gun was straight badass. I mean, the cloaks are the most "identifiable" aesthetic when it comes to destiny characters (and really, those damn cloaks are perfect), so seeing it in action got me to start over with a human Hunter.

I grew to like the Hunter's abilities considerably more. The melee felt more threatening and I made good use of the agility of the double jumping. I also liked bouncing the grenade around walls on unsuspecting enemies. It felt more suited to my selective-aggressive play style, even though I tend to gravitate more towards more "fantastical" characters so to speak. I know the Golden Gun can use a bit of work, but the biggest drawback with the Hunter for me are those uglyass helmets. Like they spent an afternoon in a steampunk store in the mall and bought everything they could find.

I gave the Warlock another chance though and I eventually started to see its good points. The jump is reaches max heightwhen double-tapped quickly, and you can also do a very short jump by triple tapping, which is good for decreasing your time in the air when you're being shot at. The melee also has a fast recharge and a good range despite being relatively weak (which I imagine it makes up for with its energy drain). Perhaps the best attribute of the Warlock lies in its grenades. The Vortex grenade stops some enemies dead in their tracks and it does consistent damage very rapidly. This makes it a must for boss battles and especially essential in taking out those pesky ?? enemies.

Ultimately, I like both of these classes for different reasons, so I'll probably end up playing as both in the beta and retail as well. I didn't get to spend much time with the Titan, but I don't think it's for me.

Did you unlock the Warlock attribute that lets you have more control over the hover jump he/she does? Once I did, there was no going back to the Hunters or Titans jump. Hovering around in mid-air and them unleashing the Warlock's super at the height of the hover was so damn fun and looks so damn cool.

Interesting. Never did get that. I think I saw that in one of the trailers. Nice.

Sawneeks

Banned

1. Tried out all 3 and I'm #TeamHunter all the way. That double jump is God-like.

2. Exo. I played the Alpha as an Exo Male but after seeing that the female models have actual armor I'm definitely rolling Female Exo for Beta/Launch. Why? Because why be a human when I can be a Bionicle.

SnakeEyes

Banned

1) Warlock. I loved the idea of being a "Space Magic" character in the truest sense of the word, with the Nova Bomb/Fireball. In fact, I loved the Warlock class so much that I didn't bother playing with either of the other 2 classes.

2) Exo. C'mon, who doesn't like robots?! Although I may reassess this when the full version hits, and see if I can find any other combos I like in the Awoken and Human races.

Top Bottom