• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Destiny Alpha Withdrawal Thread

RoKKeR

I was always going to get it day one, but I was getting exceedingly wary with each successive trailer they released.

Alpha put all my fears to rest. Beautiful environments, great gameplay, fantastic UI and menu presentation, addictive loot systems and all built around a cohesive interface that puts the focus on your character.

Totally won me over, can't wait for the beta.

Vire

Game Informer publicly posted their cover story on the game a while back, but a lot of people may have missed it.

http://www.gameinformer.com/p/destiny.aspx

Lot's of good video features and articles about the game.

*Sigh*, it's going to be a long wait till September. Seems kinda insane to me that they have three more months to work on this game when it felt practically finished.

DC1

So I played the first Halo. Didn't like it and never touched another Halo since (while I completely respect the space that it occupies)

However Destiny is the most reward 'felling' FPS I have played...and it's in Alpha mode!

*Please don't change a thing Bungie.

Question:
Halo players, does Destiny 'play' mechanical like Halo?
Because if it does... I might have to re-engaged

Cynar

I was always going to get it day one, but I was getting exceedingly wary with each successive trailer they released.

Alpha put all my fears to rest. Beautiful environments, great gameplay, fantastic UI and menu presentation, addictive loot systems and all built around a cohesive interface that puts the focus on your character.

Totally won me over, can't wait for the beta.

Exactly my situation. Now to sadly wait. :(

So I played the first Halo. Didn't like it and never touched another Halo since (while I completely respect the space that it occupies)

However Destiny is the most reward 'felling' FPS I have played...and it's in Alpha mode!

*Please don't change a thing Bungie.

Question:

It feels kinda like halo in some ways but it's definitely its own thing. ADS and no items around to pick up change it up quite a bit but the speed is very similar. I got a lot of good vibes while playing.

Gaz_RB

Question for everyone; would love to see what GAF chose:

1.) What class did you find most appealing? Why?

2.) What race did you pick? Why?

1.) I picked Warlock at first because, like most pre-release MMO tests, I always pick the class that I think I won't like or pick in the actual game. I fell in love though. Warlock is the best for PvP, imo, and I've played all 3 classes in the Crucible for a shameful 30+ hours. It's melee may be a little weaker, but it lunges/locks on like a goddamn sword from Halo. Shotgun+Melee combo is executed best with Warlock. In addition, their jump has far much control in both degree of height and amount of time spent in the air, which is crucial for the Crucible. Their fast regenerating health is also the best out of the 3 classes' special abilities. Titan's health boost isn't meaningful enough to really matter for the most part, and Hunter's speed boost is miniscule. Their super is also fine. They all have their strength and weaknesses.

That said, I think Titan class and armor looks the coolest, especially with an Exo with Batman ears. Hunter's helmet looks kind of bad to me.

2.) I picked a black dude at first, like usual, but then I picked an Exo and fell in love. Still not sure why there is a female Exo though...

Game Informer publicly posted their cover story on the game a while back, but a lot of people may have missed it.

*Sigh*, it's going to be a long wait till September. Seems kinda insane to me that they have three more months to work on this game when it felt practically finished.

Just imagine how much better it's going to be after the next few months of intense polish!

CGwizz

Hunters have the best grenades, best powers , they have cloaks but they have the worst looking gear, masks look bad. Titans have the best balance between great aesthetic and skills.
warlocks are shit to play.

they all have poor costumization ...

if i pick the game i will play awoken.

Rixxan

I gotta say, I'm in love with this game but its pretty tragic watching that pvp video and seeing a beautifully smooth framerate, dunno what it is but it's making me seriously miss 60fps for this title

It's honestly my only complaint

Teknoman

Exactly my situation. Now to sadly wait. :(

It feels kinda like halo in some ways but it's definitely its own thing. ADS and no items around to pick up change it up quite a bit but the speed is very similar. I got a lot of good vibes while playing.

The cool thing is that you can still hit things without ADS ala Halo. Wish more fps would take note. ADS should only help you hit things that are really far away.

bumpkin

mPT7oiL.jpg
That screen is the only thing I've seen. :(

Got in the Alpha, didn't have any time this weekend to try it, and hoped the servers would still be up tonight. No such luck. *sigh*

So much for it being extended I guess.

RoKKeR

Sort of. The overall game design and fundamental ideas behind gameplay are different, but it feels like Halo at it's core, whether it be movement or general shooting feedback.

PvP plays differently though because of all of the different things going on in terms of load outs, supers, etc.

Oh yeah, and ADS. I still don't like it in this game, and I tried too often to play it like Halo and the game punishes you for not using ADS in a lot of situations.

Kade

Yes. I went from complete disinterest to preordering it.

I went from "This looks pretty cool but I'll wait" to this. I haven't been this excited about a video game in a looooooooooooong time. I'm just sad that it's not on PC so I won't get to experience it with my regular group of friends (some who don't own consoles and/or don't have intentions of getting one) but it's a chance to make some new ones.

Gaz_RB

I went from "This looks pretty cool but I'll wait" to this. I haven't been this excited about a video game in a looooooooooooong time. I'm just sad that it's not on PC so I won't get to experience it with my regular group of friends (some who don't own consoles and/or don't have intentions of getting one) but it's a chance to make some new ones.

Haha I wish I was around for the Halo 3 hype. Must of been magnificent.

Vire

Haha I wish I was around for the Halo 3 hype. Must of been magnificent.

The Halo 3 OT was pretty legendary... or should I say OT's. There were like 8 of them haha.

urk was just a regular neogaf super fan back then, now he gets paid to be a shill.

Jagxyz

Absolutely loved the alpha, had a small problem though -

My bullets seemed to have a delay on them? I'd shoot someone in the crucible, and it sometimes wouldn't register for a couple of seconds.

Here's a video to help illustrate - http://youtu.be/SSbHw6498vw

Did anyone else have this issue, or is it something on my end?

sidenote - the video also illustrates some of what I loved about the game, the thumping music and the 1v1 fight while jumping and gliding around.

I maxed out my character and did the strike mission like 3 times total all the day before it ended so I was getting kind of board with it not being able to advance any farther but it did get me excited for the full release. Definitely went from a not interested to must buy for me after playing it

My bullets seemed to have a delay on them? I'd shoot someone in the crucible, and it sometimes wouldn't register for a couple of seconds.

I had a split second of lag sometimes, where I'd melee them and they'd fall over a hair of a second later, but nothing this severe.

Rixxan

Holy shit I just raged watching that.

Never happened to me and if it did broken controller pieces everywhere

Does look like a connection issue though

I reaaaaaly hope there will be a Destiny novel. The Halo novels are a huge guilty pleasure for me. I want to know more about
this universe.

Im so loving all this positivity towards this game. Before the alpha people were very iffy it seemed. Bungie didn't duo the best job showingit off before. But even then this was my most anticipated game since halo 3 just because i love bungie so much. And now long time ps only people can see why bungie is loved so much. Can't wait for the beta and more importantly the game!

Karl Hawk

Banned
I reaaaaaly hope there will be a Destiny novel. The Halo novels are a huge guilty pleasure for me. I want to know more about
this universe.

I'm hoping for a huge artbook of Destiny. I wanna have the chance to look at Bungie's amazing artwork of Destiny, like ALL OF IT!

Chidori00

Banned
No withdrawals, after doing the story missions and same maps over and over it got boring, but still had a lot of fun with it and can't wait for the release.

Gaz_RB

sidenote - the video also illustrates some of what I loved about the game, the thumping music and the 1v1 fight while jumping and gliding around.

This happened to me a few times. You shoot them and you don't see their health bar go down. It seems to be a network issue on their end and not yours. I actually had a weird experience with this. I was playing Crucible, and was having some serious network problems for some reason, like my router was failing. I was also watching a stream on my laptop of a guy playing with me, and he was on the other team. I killed him, and it was weird because he was a great player and came up behind me. I watched his stream, which was delayed like 15 seconds, saw him trying to kill me, and it was exactly what happened in your video. He shot me but nothing happened. Hopefully Bungie can look into it.

ShinMaruku

Question for everyone; would love to see what GAF chose:

For me:
1.) Warlock because as much as I enjoyed playing with the Titan, I just didn't like the Titan's powers. Also, I really like the Warlock grenade power. For whatever reason the Hunter didn't click for me, though I did really like the feel of the double-jump.

2.) I went Exo. I love robots and I loved their look. Was difficult to imagine picking anything else. I hope there are some good lore hooks for the different races or some other racial benefits.

1. Warlock I just love their abilities and their super ,armour look appeals to me the best. Titan is a close second they are a joy to play but their super is not as appealing to me as the warlock and the warlock grenade mods are soooo good.

2. I chose Awoken blue glow eyes people I like the way they look and the outlandish hair colours

DC1

Sort of. The overall game design and fundamental ideas behind gameplay are different, but it feels like Halo at it's core, whether it be movement or general shooting feedback.

PvP plays differently though because of all of the different things going on in terms of load outs, supers, etc.

Oh yeah, and ADS. I still don't like it in this game, and I tried too often to play it like Halo and the game punishes you for not using ADS in a lot of situations.

Hmm...maybe I misjudge you Halo?

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
I bought Transistor+Child of Light to fill the void from not being able to play this game for a month. ಥ_ಥ

Top Bottom