• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Destiny Alpha Withdrawal Thread

GQman2121

Banned
Anyone out there that didn't enjoy their experience with the alpha?

I only played 15 minutes or so before I turned it off. I just wanted to get a feel for what it was like and not really spoil myself on it... and I still don't know how I feel about it - good or bad.

I thought it looked and played fine for a shooter. Though I think the ships that fire rockets on the moon map are a terrible idea and kill the otherwise solid pvp combat.

I did, however, grow tired of the gameplay by the time I maxed out my rank (lvl 8). Traveling from point to point and shooting enemies with no repercussions for death just didn't do anything for me. It seemed very rise and repeat. The motivation to continue to kill for loot and XP was decent, it just wasn't enough to hook me.

And I didn't appreciate being forced to use L2/R2 for ADS and firing. There's no reason not to have an L1/R1 option.

ekgrey

I managed to find the cool cave with the ?? level enemies and the giant Ogre on my last session, great way to close out the beta.

That wasn't actually possible to beat was it? I found two caves like that and both times couldn't make a dent in any enemy's health. I'm gonna be pissed if I was doing it wrong.

I miss you Destiny!!!!

Here are links to all the screenshots and panoramas I have taken and posted during the Alpha:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=116629487&postcount=8187
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=116630207&postcount=8197
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=116631545&postcount=8211
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=116632649&postcount=8241
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=116659520&postcount=8519
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=116773820&postcount=10148
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=116663039&postcount=8568

Wow, I did not realize I took so many screens, over 250 screens captured on my PS4 and almost 2 hours of video.

Cannot wait for July 17!!! I hope the beta lasts longer and allows us to transfer to the retail release.

I feel like I just got back from an amazing vacation spot and am nostalgic to revisit.

xewind

What a great time I had with the Alpha. I was kinda interested on the game, but the Alpha made it a day 1 purchase for me. Just a few more months to go :(.

I stopped playing the alpha after a few hours specifically so I wouldn't experience any withdrawal. I saw all the content that was there and decided to end it after that first taste. I'm really excited for the beta, which I imagine I'll give a much longer look, and then the full release, which I fully expect will consume my life.

Anyone out there that didn't enjoy their experience with the alpha?

I only played 15 minutes or so before I turned it off. I just wanted to get a feel for what it was like and not really spoil myself on it... and I still don't know how I feel about it - good or bad.

I played for 25+ hours and disliked many aspects of the PVP, lack of variety, unrepsonsive controls, voice acting, "meh" shooting, and the low FOV. I even got bored of it. Despite that, I still enjoyed it enough to keep my preorder in place for the game.
So I guess I didn't fully enjoy it.

Lan Dong Mik

And why would I want them?
9c351def6ea9611aade322559e18b62f.jpg

Goodnight sweet alpha! See you in beta next month.

Kelsey

Banned
PVP sucked. Explore mode quests sucked. Tower was great. Strikes are great. I got addicted to running the strike mission trying to best my number of kills and precision kills. As a shooter with tons of guns and cool abilities it pales greatly compared to Borderlands, but as a co-op experience it bests it imo. Checking out all the vendors shows that it's going to be a grind-fest if you want the cooler gear, but as long as its not grinding PVP, I think I'm going to like this. Contemplating canceling my Diablo 3 pre-order, because I know I'll only have time for one of these.

Had a great time with the alpha! Playing with fellow GAFfers was super fun. See everyone in the beta!

And thanks to Dax for making the alpha impressions thread. Guess this thread is where I'll hang out till the beta thread is up.

Question for everyone; would love to see what GAF chose:

1.) What class did you find most appealing? Why?

2.) What race did you pick? Why?

For me:
1.) Warlock because as much as I enjoyed playing with the Titan, I just didn't like the Titan's powers. Also, I really like the Warlock grenade power. For whatever reason the Hunter didn't click for me, though I did really like the feel of the double-jump.

2.) I went Exo. I love robots and I loved their look. Was difficult to imagine picking anything else. I hope there are some good lore hooks for the different races or some other racial benefits.

Mr Jared

I loved playing around with the personal speederbike. Would LOVE to see some sort of race content.. then again, I also just really miss that mode from the earlier Halo games.

Destiny is why I bought a next generation console.

That's not hyperbole. It's fact.

Yes, I'm going to get The Last of Us, CounterSpy, Madden and NBA 2k15 this year for my PS4, but if there were no Destiny I'd still have my PS3 and I'd play that until it blew up.

I'm getting up there in years and free time to game is going to be less than it's ever been. I was hoping to find one game that would be my mainstay. The one game which would scratch multiple itches (mmo, shooter, social, rpg single player) and last me for a long time.

I already know Destiny is going to be that title that will always be on my PS4 hard drive.

Good job Bungie. You got my $$$$.

Hunter because I identify with lone wolves and rogue archetypes (e.g. Han Solo, Boba Fett) the most. Titan is too generic and militaristic. Warlock didn't look or feel badass enough. Edit: Also, throwing knives and double/triple jump.

Question for everyone; would love to see what GAF chose:2.) What race did you pick? Why?
Awoken because they look pretty and had less generic customization options than humans

How did you do that? The codes don't seem to work on psn store

I got mine a little after I preordered. Longest it can take is 2 days

Brb pre-ordering

1. titan because hulk smash and big bulky badass looking armor and i like being the big guy that takes all the damage

2. Exo because robots

AlexIIDX

Echoing what ive seen many say already, but before the alpha I thought Destiny was...Meh....After the alpha, I couldn't be more psyched for the beta.

Kelsey

Banned
The code you get from Amazon isnt for PSN. It's for the Bungie beta site. The same code Amazon gives you if you pre-order for PS4 will also work if you changed your mind and wanted to use it on Xbox One. And vice versa.

legbone

best time i've had with a "game" all year. and it was just an alpha. that includes wolfenstein which is saying a lot. cannot wait for the beta. preorder justified.

Gaz_RB

Destiny is why I bought a next generation console.

That's not hyperbole. It's fact.

Yes, I'm going to get The Last of Us, CounterSpy, Madden and NBA 2k15 this year for my PS4, but if there were no Destiny I'd still have my PS3 and I'd play that until it blew up.

I'm getting up there in years and free time to game is going to be less than it's ever been. I was hoping to find one game that would be my mainstay. The one game which would scratch multiple itches (mmo, shooter, social, rpg single player) and last me for a long time.

I already know Destiny is going to be that title that will always be on my PS4 hard drive.

Good job Bungie. You got my $$$$.

Thanks to your post I learned what CounterSpy is. Looks brilliant.

1. Hunter. Speed, double/triple jumps, knives and a gun made of gold. Oh, and sweet cloaks

2. Exo. I was almost going to go Awoken, but when I saw the character creator, I knew my Guardian must be a robot. They look super cool and how many games let you choose "robot" as a race?

Kelsey

Banned

1 - Hunter. They look like Tali from Mass Effect. Double jump felt better to me than jump+hover

2 - Human with purple hair. Made her look similar to my very very old PSO character. Another reason I love the game despite thinking it does a lot of things wrong is that it has a huge PSO vibe to it. The Tower is part PSO and part Citadel from Mass Effect. It's just awesome and I hope it expands in the full game. Or at least in future games. Exploring the Tower was a lot of fun, and like all great MMO-esque games, there's a meta game of seeing how many weird places you can climb to.

Killah

1) Titan, because lunging at players/enemies and coming down on them with the force of a thousand suns is awesome.

2) Human. Would've went with Awoken but Awoken look ugly and Humans look more natural. If I had the chance to go back though, I'd have chosen Exo instead.

fishbang

I was very skeptical of the game pre-alpha. I had good reasons, I think, and they were largely due to Bungie being so precious with their information, but that doesn't much matter now.

I got all three classes to 8, and had good gear in every slot but one. Those shitty armguards on my Titan and that one unredeemed bounty on my Warlock are going to annoy me for days.

I did (I think) everything I possibly could in the alpha, and I still wanted more. I can't imagine the game not satisfying me come beta or release, even if I live it and breathe it for a month and walk away forever. It won't be everything I want it to be, but I think it'll be cleanly built and very satisfying for a time, and that's all I ask.

I can't stop thinking about it now. There really is no zealot like a convert.

Shadownet

Banned
I'm thinking about making a DestinyGAF Clan. we already have a group, why not an actual clan?

Yay or Nay? I'll post the link if you guys think I should make one.

I raced home from work. I turned on the game thinking it would be down. I connect. I quickly chose crucible. It starts loading. 1/12 Guardians. 2/12 Guardians..3..4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, excitement rising..11...12.. YES!...SERVER OFFLINE!!. Gah!..
Grab a tub of Haagen Dazs to cheer me up. Put on watchdogs.. meh. Look at calender... sigh.

Edit: did anyone make a Destiny community thread or is it too soon for that?

For me:
1.) Warlock because as much as I enjoyed playing with the Titan, I just didn't like the Titan's powers. Also, I really like the Warlock grenade power. For whatever reason the Hunter didn't click for me, though I did really like the feel of the double-jump.

2.) I went Exo. I love robots and I loved their look. Was difficult to imagine picking anything else. I hope there are some good lore hooks for the different races or some other racial benefits.

1) Titan, loved the powers involved. Didnt get to try the other two jobs.
2)Played the blue people race because I liked the hairstyles for the females more. Loved the crazy rooster mohawk.

Ricker

I had a wonderful time. Riding my sparrow, shooting things, watching people drop in/out. I'd say I didn't get used to the PvP because I was busy just kind of drifting. It was beautiful! Smooth as hell for an Alpha, can't wait for the July Beta! And then September!

iNs4qx5byR5Wg.jpg

The calm before the Storm ;)....nice screenshot there.

I think I will play beta a bit,try out the 2 other classes but only to level 8 or so like this weekend,want to go in almost totally fresh in September.

Top Bottom