• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official DS Lite Japanese Launch Thread!

inthegray

img4405fac6d1e6d.jpg

TehOh

Play-Asia.com order #2547963 from Feb 09, 2006
Preorder / Backorder

Estimated shipping date: On or before Mar 13, 2006
Please note that the estimated shipping date can be exceeded in exceptional cases.

Your credit card ending with **** and expiry date **/**** will be charged US$ 211.00 on shipping date.

Product name Qty. Price/Unit Price
Nintendo DS Lite (Enamel Navy) (Japanese) Release date Mar 11, 2006 1 US$ 169.90
2046 (Two Zero Four Six) (Hong Kong, DVD Region Free) 1 US$ 12.90

Sum US$ 182.80
Shipping US$ 28.20
Total US$ 211.00

Come on Play-Asia, don't let me down now! :)

Nick

All I have to say is: wow. That is seriously the coolest handheld I've seen, and that screen looks to trump even the PSP.

Yeah I want one.

RaidenZR

I placed my order on Feb 10th and it's ship date is still holding strong at March 2nd. If this all works out, I'm gonna be Play-Asia for life!

I ordered white, btw.

Yamauchi

Banned
Wait, people are lining up for this? Does that mean it's going to be sold out on the first day? And then there'll be the extra colors, then those will be sold out for the rest of the month? That's a bit ridiculous.

Yamauchi said:
Wait, people are lining up for this? Does that mean it's going to be sold out on the first day? And then there'll be the extra colors, then those will be sold out for the rest of the month? That's a bit ridiculous.

you had thought otherwise? i dont think pictures were really needed to confirm this. by all estimations ive seen, there will be less handhelds available in the next two weeks than some "Easter" weeks in December sawsold through.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
As if March wasn't crowded as is, I might import one JUST to enjoy Metroid and Tetris on the improved hardware sooner rather than later. Oh dear.

Is this slated as a May launch in US?

Yamauchi

Banned
meltpotato said:
you had thought otherwise? i dont think pictures were really needed to confirm this. by all estimations ive seen, there will be less handhelds available in the next two weeks than some "Easter" weeks in December sawsold through.
I thought they would ship more than 450,000 for the first month, yes.

ant1532

Banned
i got an off topic question...

in Japan are you aloud to wander around these places in the middle of the night when everything is closed?

2_5.JPG

1_4.JPG

Thank god, my Play-Asia pre-order is still listing as shipping on or before March 3rd (pre-ordered in January). Hopefully that date will stick.

aparisi2274

I just spoke with NCS, and they think there is going to be some severe price gouging... If that happens I will be pissed, because I really want one of these by the weekend. I asked if they knew if the price was going to get jacked up, and they said they wont know until tonight when they speak with their distributors in Japan....

arrrgghhh... i really hope my friend who is waiting in line right now in japan could score me one...

aparisi2274 said:
I just spoke with NCS, and they think there is going to be some severe price gouging... If that happens I will be pissed, because I really want one of these by the weekend. I asked if they knew if the price was going to get jacked up, and they said they wont know until tonight when they speak with their distributors in Japan....

arrrgghhh... i really hope my friend who is waiting in line right now in japan could score me one...

I hope not... argh.... I hope reaaaaaaally NCSX comes through for us....

Mashing

I wonder if Children of Mana can manage to sell nearly 1:1 with the DS lite on the first day? And even if it does how the hell would we know. TEH HORROR!

Mashing said:
I wonder if Children of Mana can manage to sell nearly 1:1 with the DS lite on the first day? And even if it does how the hell would we know. TEH HORROR!

with a projected 91.000 available for launch, i think it is quite possible. 1:1 tie ratio. :lol wow.

ant1532

Banned
Mashing said:

why not? theres barley enough dss.

Mashing

meltpotato said:
with a projected 91.000 available for launch, i think it is quite possible. 1:1 tie ratio. :lol wow.

Oh shit, I missed that... I saw people complaining about supply but I had no idea it was THAT bad.

Definately exceed 1:1 then.

ant1532

Banned
Ign has a nice diss to the psp

Ign insider said:
If you doubt the DS Lite, one touch will clear the bad thoughts away.
This is what the DS should've been all along, with a bright set of
screens and so much style that the PSP might need a redesign.

i like :lol even though the white psp i think looks mabye better than the lite, not sure though

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
DS Lite makes the PSP look like it's made up of millions of pieces while DS Lite looks like it all fits together perfectly imo.

ant1532

Banned
jj984jj said:
DS Lite makes the PSP look like it's made up of millions of pieces while DS Lite looks like it all fits together perfectly imo.

nice decription. ds lite does look simple like an ipod.

jj984jj said:

true, but by most accounts, the interior (interface once flipped open) supposedly looks a bit cheap. although i tend to think that the psp looks cheap so...

I emailed Play-Asia about this:

How is the DS Lite (Enamel Navy) pre-order situation looking? I've heard
reports of possible backorders or increased prices...

Their reply:

The stock for the item should not be enough to fullfill the great demand.
The prices may increase if the price of the item provided by the
manufacturer becomes higher.

DONT LET ME DOWN PLAY ASIA. *raises fist*

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Well, I feel like a japanese guy as I would surely be in the line as well. It's been a looong time since I enjoyed a system as much as the DS.

I want, I need my DS Lite :lol

Bebpo

Banned
jj984jj said:

Let's not get carried away with the launch hype here. DS Lite is an excellent looking system with screens that now match the PSP and a sleek look that matches it as well. But at the end of the day it just went from ghetto-DS -> PSP-DS, and isn't some "omg this looks like it's worth $300" piece of fancy equipment like the PSP is.

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
Those guys are about to queue overnight ...to collect their new DS (or hope theres enough for them) ....and......... THEY PLAY THEIR OLD DS WHILE THEY'RE WAITING!

Thats like....holy-crap-DS-addiction-to-the-max.

kaizoku

Bebpo said:
Let's not get carried away with the launch hype here. DS Lite is an excellent looking system with screens that now match the PSP and a sleek look that matches it as well. But at the end of the day it just went from ghetto-DS -> PSP-DS, and isn't some "omg this looks like it's worth $300" piece of fancy equipment like the PSP is.

Yeah the PSP is nicer than the DS, the white is even a nicer shade of white, perfect shade in fact. DS is a bit off which is a shame. The screen is also capable of displaying better graphics so ....lets not get carried away. DSL rocks, but PSP has its plus points too. We don't have to big one up by trying to place it above another.

DAMN IT

Just went down to Sofmap at 6.30am and they're already have enough people waiting in line to know that they're sold out. No Lite for me today >_<

Bebpo said:

Well yeah that's what I got from his post... the PSP looks like the expensive high tech gadget with lots of stuff crammed into it, while the DSLite is just designed to look sleek and appealing with less stuff crammed into it.

I don't think anyone can actually say the DSLite looks as expensive as the PSP does.

kaizoku said:
Yeah the PSP is nicer than the DS, the white is even a nicer shade of white, perfect shade in fact. DS is a bit off which is a shame. The screen is also capable of displaying better graphics so ....lets not get carried away. DSL rocks, but PSP has its plus points too. We don't have to big one up by trying to place it above another.

Well, your first phrase is already guilty of that! :p

kaizoku said:
Were you completely trying to troll the DS there or what?

:lol :lol

They better be in that line to snag some units up for profit. I mean, YOU ARE PLAYING THE CONSOLE ALREADY! Pre-order or wait a couple of weeks you crazy dudes.

Seriously, I bet there's some mind control app built into those brain training games. Hope they don't take it out of the US version.

cvxfreak

I wonder how long it'll take before the DS lite can outsell the PSP in Japan. If supply were plentiful it could be fairly soon.

Is it really sad to wish I was one of those poor souls who's camping out in front of a store 12 hours before it opens on a rain soaked day? It actually looks like a lot of fun :D

kaizoku

AndoCalrissian said:
Were you completely trying to troll the DS there or what?

What the fuck, stop being so paranoid. I'm a Nintendo fanboy if anything. I'm just expressing my opinion. PSP white is a perfect shade of white.

PSP black however is ugly.

*bit agitated that in one thread I get accused of trolling Nintendo and in another fapping over them* What is this paranoid season?

clearacell said:
Is it really sad to wish I was one of those poor souls who's camping out in front of a store 12 hours before it opens on a rain soaked day? It actually looks like a lot of fun :D

I can't wait to see the line for the Revolution.

Top Bottom