• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Feb. 12th Primary Thread (Obama/McCain Beltway SWEEP SWEEP)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Zeed said:
Found a lengthy article about the current situation with Edwards:

http://www.abcnews.go.com/Politics/Vote2008/story?id=4281404&page=1

It seems that he is indeed leaning Clinton, but at the same time is apparently still "torn". He may still remain neutral, or he might even throw in behind Barack. It's described as a "heart" versus "head" dilemma, with Obama being the former and Clinton somehow being the latter.

The reasons he's reluctant to endorse Hillary are the same ones that we've been bringing up in this thread. But at the same time he seems to resent Obama and doubt his mettle.

Obama really came out of nowhere and threw a money wrench in both Hillary and Edwards' 08 plans; Hillary's been planning a presidential run for years, and it must be frustrating to have a junior senator come out of nowhere and beat the shit out you. And in the case of Edwards, Obama essentially made him irrelevent. He's gotta be saddened by that

sangreal

ZeroTolerance said:
Is it just me or is there some kinda of bias with the picture above ?

Well my first thought is you have way too many Obama tabs open

My second though was Obama murdered his pregnant wife

Not sure what you are referring to

edit: I see its circled now :)

grandjedi6 said:
Yeah I've read that before. But what do you expect? Hillary to outright critisize her husband's Presidential decisions?

If her much-vaunted 'executive experience' is at least partly based on her husband's record as president then she can't run away from it when it's inconvenient. Maybe she should have thought of that before running...

I don't blame her for trying to spin and deny it, but criminals do the same when caught by cops.

HolyStar said:
So is Obama's middle name Hussien? I need to know to shut some people up in Tennessee.

People are insane to be against Obama because of his middle name.

I swear America is the melting pot of silly people
If this man loses on issues like this, the world will never see America the same again.
We already gave them a Bush

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
sangreal said:
I found the transcript of the press conference and here is the quote in proper context

In hindsight I find the MTP piece somewhat misleading

I thought so. Tim Russert has failed

Humourously enough, I've discovered that Hillary loves saying "I think on balance [insert subject here] has been good for America but [insert complaint here]"

How would heart vs. heart lead to Hillary being the head? Her performing better at this point would only lead to a brokered convention which would hurt the party. He should've endorsed Obama right after he dropped out if he wanted anything for it.

Wow a poll from Feb 15 has Obama in the lead 48-42

http://americanresearchgroup.com/

Also, the Democrats should abolish the "superdelegates." They were explicitly setup with the intent of overruling the voters if the party elite didn't like their choice but if now they're not going to use it and people are saying "we don't want to overrule the voters" then you just lost your raison d'etre.

Deku

Banned
StopMakingSense said:
I am starting to believe he just won't endorse, this election is too much of a powder-keg.

Wishful thinking maybe. The unions going to Obama would really weaken any sort of endorsement he may do.

And with the race seemingly tied possibly till the DNC convention, he could well wait till then to release his 26 delegates and possibly get a better deal.

Who knows.

Loudninja

Synth_floyd said:

Also, the Democrats should abolish the "superdelegates." They were explicitly setup with the intent of overruling the voters if the party elite didn't like their choice but if now they're not going to use it and people are saying "we don't want to overrule the voters" then you just lost your raison d'etre.

Man, you guys keep posting this...

numble

Synth_floyd said:

ARG = unreliable pollster.
4-pm-021308-median-hi-level-all.JPG

sangreal

Smiles and Cries said:
democrates have 22 but only half a vote = 11 delegates

it would be 15 votes

the 14 pledge delegates have half a vote, and the 8 super delegates have a full vote (I believe -- otherwise some DNC members got a raw deal)

Amir0x

Banned
I definitely think Hillary is going to beat Obama in Texas, but this is one prediction I'd love to be wrong about. At that very moment, she'd basically have officially lost the campaign no matter what she does... I think I may tear up at that moment!

Rur0ni

Well, first Obama has to win Wisconsin and Hawaii. From there the rolling can continue. Cannot afford a speed bump along the way to the wall that is March 4th.

I'll breath easier when he wins those two states.

Edit:

typhonsentra said:
When will the abroad count be announced?
Not sure.

Amir0x

Banned
Speevy said:
So what's the most probable thing that's going to end up winning this for Obama?

Most probable thing would be... he keeps it with 3~5 points in Texas, Ohio and PA and would still have the delegate lead if he wins Wisconsin and Hawaii next week. And a nice delegate lead to boot. Michigan and Florida hold a run-off caucus (which would favor Obama, good chance of crushing all Hillary hope). Or gets delegates allocated based on popular vote/current pledged delegate tally... Both would get even odds from that, so there'd be no real change in the current leader (which would be Obama). Better would be if he could retain the popular vote as well.

Popular Vote + Pledged Delegate Lead + Won most states = Superdelegates would have to think long and hard before destroying the Democratic Party = Obama wins

Zeed

Banned
Speevy said:
So what's the most probable thing that's going to end up winning this for Obama?
What do you mean?

If you mean what the decisive moment would be, it'll probably come on March 4 unless Wisconsin fucks things up.

Time Magazine made a strong argument that Ohio could go to Obama, and the big union endorsements will help there and in Texas. If he takes either...well, that's game.

v1cious

Banned
Amir0x said:
I definitely think Hillary is going to beat Obama in Texas, but this is one prediction I'd love to be wrong about. At that very moment, she'd basically have officially lost the campaign no matter what she does... I think I may tear up at that moment!

like i said a few pages back, she probably will win, but don't expect much of a victory. she's only ahead 10 points at best, and i don't think that factors in the recent union endorsements. for Texas to matter at all, she's gonna have to destroy him by at least 20 points.

Deku

Banned
Amir0x said:

dont be so pessimistic.

sangreal

Amir0x said:
Hawaii is his. If he lost that, huge WTFs all around.

He was born in Hawaii and has his sister campaigning for him but the establishment there is supporting Hillary. Chelsea was over there campaigning for her too. The asian demographic has also largely gone for Hillary

I think he can win, but its not a sure-thing. Hillary was born in Illinois, didn't help her any

Zeed

Banned
Hillary's really been putting all her eggs in one basket, hyping up Texas/Ohio and March 4 as their defining moment. It really looks like the final blows will be struck there. Personally I'm hoping for a miracle that will have Obama taking both - now that would be a decisive conclusion.

sangreal said:
He was born in Hawaii and has his sister campaigning for him but the establishment there is supporting Hillary. Chelsea was over there campaigning for her too. The asian demographic has also largely gone for Hillary

I think he can win, but its not a sure-thing. Hillary was born in Illinois, didn't help her any
I doubt Hillary has a shot at Hawaii. It's Obama territory through and through, not to mention it's a caucus on top of all that.

Amir0x

Banned
sangreal said:

I didn't say it's a sure thing (is anything sure in this election cycle), it would just genuinely shock me.

Triumph

Banned
PhoenixDark said:
He just wants me to stay around, that's all
I don't think anyone really wants that.

Smiles and Cries said:
I'm sure you can take back that ban bet if you endorse Obama now

don't be an Edwards
No no no. After all the dumb shit he's said, the only way this can end is with his banning after a night full of mocking on the 4th.

Triumph

Banned
Zeed said:
What was his bet again?
If Obama wins Texas, he is banned for a month.
If Hillary wins Texas, I am banned for a month.

Either way I win- I will have cleansed the forums from Pee Dee for a month and Obama will be the nominee, or I will have a month to relax and get non forum related shit done.

Zeed

Banned
I'm both excited and worried about Tuesday. I'm going to be in Texas on business and the results will probably come in while I'm in the air. It'd be such a donkey punch to return to find that Wisconsin went to Clinton.

Triumph said:
If Obama wins Texas, he is banned for a month.
If Hillary wins Texas, I am banned for a month.
Eesh, you're a brave man.

So we're all settled on pitchforks and torches if Clinton works some dark magic, but what's everyone going to do if Obama wins? I haven't decided yet.

Maybe I'll get drunk like the Kenyans.

Mandark

Small balls, big fun!
I just wanna say that Triumph's wholehearted riding of a center-left candidate's bandwagon is really creeping me out.

Zeed

Banned
Mandark said:
I just wanna say that Triumph's wholehearted riding of a center-left candidate's bandwagon is really creeping me out.
As was pointed out in another thread, this race has redrawn the political lines on this forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom