• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Feb. 9-10th Primary/Caucus Thread (Obama = Weekend Sweep)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zeed

Banned
grandjedi6 said:
Joe Sestak is only a congressmen because the Clintons donated funds to him to campaign in the first place
Now the difference in superdelegates makes sense. They're bought and paid for by the Clintons.

Duke Togo

Amir0x said:
Of course! But all the more reason for him to grab my gargantuan cock and suck that shit dry until he begs for my load.

I fucking hate this superdelegate bullshit, and corrupt Washington. This shit needs to change.
Obama will smite the corrupt masses of Washington with his hammer of change. 08AMA!!!!!

Triumph

Banned
grandjedi6 said:
Joe Sestak isn't moving from Hillary camp guys. He endorsed her months ago and is a part of her base of endorsements.
We know how to handle that.

bringoutthegimp.jpg

Bring out the gimp.

tralfazz

grandjedi6 said:
Joe Sestak is only a congressmen because the Clintons donated funds to him to campaign in the first place
Which is all fine and good, but the almost intolerance bordering on venom he had in the piece was amazing. Sounded like a Bushie defending his idol. I swear I must find this video. I think it was Philly CBS tonight after the Grammy's, but don't hold me to it.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Justin Bailey said:
Is there any way to find out who a particular superdelegate voted for? Or is it all private?

Voted for in their state's primaries? No way to find out, their vote is private like everyone else.

Find out who they are likely to vote from as a superdelegate? Easy, many of them offically endorse candidates. The Democratic Convention Watch lists them out

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
AniHawk said:
Do the DNC guys hate the Clintons? I heard somewhere that they (Clintons) tried getting Dean fired or something.

Dean hates the Clintons but alot of the other DNC members from the states support the Clintons

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
AniHawk said:
Do the DNC guys hate the Clintons? I heard somewhere that they (Clintons) tried getting Dean fired or something.

I've also heard Howard Dean isn't too fond of the Clintons, does he have any sway when it comes to the super delegates?

Triumph

Banned
AniHawk said:
There's different camps. Clintons = old guard. Deaniacs = new hottness. Howard Dean deserves a lot of credit for the dems winning congress in 2006 and what Obama is doing now. The funny thing is, the infrastructure was there for Hillary to take advantage of if she wanted to, but she ran a very, very stupid campaign early. Obama was able to sneak in and use the 50 state strategy apparatus to his advantage.

AniHawk

Triumph said:
There's different camps. Clintons = old guard. Deaniacs = new hottness. Howard Dean deserves a lot of credit for the dems winning congress in 2006 and what Obama is doing now. The funny thing is, the infrastructure was there for Hillary to take advantage of if she wanted to, but she ran a very, very stupid campaign early. Obama was able to sneak in and use the 50 state strategy apparatus to his advantage.

Thanks for the clarification. I really hope it gets to the point where everyone jumps the Clinton ship, but I don't know how far their influence reaches, so it has me paranoid.

Amir0x

Banned
AniHawk said:
Thanks for the clarification. I really hope it gets to the point where everyone jumps the Clinton ship, but I don't know how far their influence reaches, so it has me paranoid.

Obama is in the best shape he's ever been, which is what we should take solace in.

But yes, you're absolutely right... the roots of the Clinton political machine are massive. They extend everywhere, and it's incredibly cagey. To me, it's almost inconceivable she'd go down without a massive fight - even if Obama somehow sweeps Ohio/PA/Texas, she may still try to court more superdelegates and bring it to the convention.

Everyone knows the picture. Make no mistake, this is a fight for the Clinton legacy. Building a dynasty has been in the cards for them for over a decade, and to have the voters roundly reject the idea of more is devastating for them. It is not an acceptable outcome for them. It is a life or death political fight, they have no alternative. Obama won't need Hillary to be on his ticket to win the presidency.

Triumph

Banned
Cheebs said:
Anyone think there is a chance Virgina could pull a NH and vote for Hillary just so she isn't crushed?
If it was earlier in the season, yeah. Now, not so much. People are making up their minds now. Also, 20% black = win win win for Obama. I expect Maine/LA numbers for VA and MD. DC, of course, will be a slaughter old Roman stylee. I'm talking killing the children and salting the earth afterwards so no one can use the land for anything.

Cheebs

Amir0x said:
Obama is in the best shape he's ever been, which is what we should take solace in.

But yes, you're absolutely right... the roots of the Clinton political machine are massive. They extend everywhere, and it's incredibly cagey. To me, it's almost inconceivable she'd go down without a massive fight - even if Obama somehow sweeps Ohio/PA/Texas, she may still try to court more superdelegates and bring it to the convention.

Everyone knows the picture. Make no mistake, this is a fight for the Clinton legacy. Building a dynasty has been in the cards for them for over a decade, and to have the voters roundly reject the idea of more is devastating for them. It is not an acceptable outcome for them. It is a life or death political fight, they have no alternative. Obama won't need Hillary to be on his ticket to win the presidency.
which is why they'd attempt the super delegate card. To them the POSSIBILITY of saving their legacy outways tearing the party apart.

If someone thinks they will step down "for the good of the party" ala Romney then you dont know the Clintons. They will try anything they can all the way to the convention. Every card they can pull out.

They clawed their way out from Monica, they aren't going to give up now.

Amir0x said:

But she has a senate seat she can return to. Just like for Obama and McCain.

mj1108

If Ohio and Texas don't pan out for her, I expect her to make a big stink about Michigan and Florida in trying to get those delegates.

Triumph said:
She doesn't give a shit about that seat. She ran for Senate solely so she could run for President.

Yes, I know, but it makes her politically relevant and on the off chance that Obama would lose to McCain in November, there's nothing stopping her from trying again in 2012.

Amir0x

Banned
Instigator said:
But she has a senate seat she can return to. Just like for Obama and McCain.

It's irrelevant. This is a fight for the presidency. The sole reason she joined the senate in NY was to become president. That was literally the only reason. Any bullshit she flung about "wanting to help change America" was just filler to build a compelling base and secure a state with a lot of delegates.

Yes, she can run again. But the fact that she would have lost the nomination to an up-and-coming newbie would have absolutely destroyed the idea that she has a great foundation to build on, no more inevitability or anything. It'd be questioned even what type of asset the Clintons are.

Bill Clinton himself has worked hard to build on his legacy, and believe me he LOVES the limelight. He is a brilliant, calculating politician and an unbelievable campaigner, but as we see now it's a double edged sword: he does not know how to handle being less than center focus, and it has been a distraction when Hillary least needed it. This whole run has been carefully maneuvered and the voter rejection of the methods, the politics and the legacy of "CLINTONIA" is like someone stepping on his massive ego and then diarrhea-ing into his face.

Cheebs

Instigator said:
Yes, I know, but it makes her politically relevant and on the off chance that Obama would lose to McCain in November, there's nothing stopping her from trying again in 2012.
this is it, she is not going to try again. People who run multiple times are the young upstarts who have all the time in the world. She is not that. McCain is exception to that rule.

Tobor

Cheebs said:
this is it, she is not going to try again. People who run multiple times are the young upstarts who have all the time in the world. She is not that. McCain is risen from the grave.

Mumei

I've heard about the Clintons trying to get Dean fired, but I must not have been keeping up with politics when it occurred; does anyone have an article, something I could look at?

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
The takeover, the break's over
God Prez, me, O-Bama
Hey lil' soldier you ain't ready for war
My campaign too strong for y'all
It's like bringin a knife to a gunfight, pen to a test
Your chest in the line of fire witcha thin-ass vest
You bringin them Girls n' Women, HOW them girls gon' win?
This is grown man BIA, get you rolled into triage
Beatch - your reach ain't long enough, dunny
Your peeps ain't strong enough

I tried

tralfazz

I'm sure that Obama has Dean on his side quite a bit. Isn't Obama's way of running this campaign similar to Dean's run in '04? Just that Obama is more popular. I'd think Dean would be proud of it.

Amir0x said:
It's irrelevant. This is a fight for the presidency. The sole reason she joined the senate in NY was to become president. That was literally the only reason. Any bullshit she flung about "wanting to help change America" was just filler to build a compelling base and secure a state with a lot of delegates.

Yes, she can run again. blah blah etc

no, she can't. Assume for a moment Obama wins the presidency. That's a minimum 4 year wait until the next election. Outside of a Royal, ROYAL screwup like..oh, another iraq war..Obama will be the incumbent nominee. The odds of her successfully getting the nomination over the sitting dem president is slim to zero.

so win or lose, now we're looking at EIGHT years before she has a shot at the nominee, and the fact is that barring someone incredibly unlikable i.e. Cheney or a complete moron i.e. Quayle, the VP of The dem president will be the likely nominee. Her BEST chance at a presidency would be in a minimum 8 years, should Obama lose re-election to a republican, and quite honestly hillary is too old to wait that out.

For hillary it's now or never.

zou

Tobor said:
You're right, that stunt can't keep working.

Not only that, but right now Obama is pretty much the forerunner. He has won the last 5 or so states, won Super Tuesday and has been gaining in pretty much every demographic. It worked for Hillary after Iowa because at that point people weren't sure about Obama's electability. Now however, any signs of weakness on Hillary's part would only drive them to Obama.

Amir0x

Banned
Manmademan said:
no, she can't. Assume for a moment Obama wins the presidency. That's a minimum 4 year wait until the next election. Outside of a Royal, ROYAL screwup like..oh, another iraq war..Obama will be the incumbent nominee. The odds of her successfully getting the nomination over the sitting dem president is slim to zero.

so win or lose, now we're looking at EIGHT years before she has a shot at the nominee, and the fact is that barring someone incredibly unlikable i.e. Cheney or a complete moron i.e. Quayle, the VP of The dem president will be the likely nominee. Her BEST chance at a presidency would be in a minimum 8 years, should Obama lose re-election, and quite honestly hillary is too old to wait that out.

Manmademan, you really wanted to analyze the comment but um all it meant is that she technically can run. My entire argument is effectively that there's no chance she will run.

But there's no doubt if McCain were to win she COULD be back in 4 years, or if Obama were to win she COULD be back in 8 years. It's just extremely unlikely.

tralfazz said:
I'm sure that Obama has Dean on his side quite a bit. Isn't Obama's way of running this campaign similar to Dean's run in '04? Just that Obama is more popular. I'd think Dean would be proud of it.

I'm waiting for Obama's inevitable scream speech.

Cheebs

zou said:
Not only that, but right now Obama is pretty much the forerunner. He has won the last 5 or so states, won Super Tuesday and has been gaining in pretty much every demographic. It worked for Hillary after Iowa because at that point people weren't sure about Obama's electability. Now however, any signs of weakness on Hillary's part would only drive them to Obama.
Never under-estimate the empathy of female voters.

Manmademan said:

so win or lose, now we're looking at EIGHT years before she has a shot at the nominee, and the fact is that barring someone incredibly unlikable i.e. Cheney or a complete moron i.e. Quayle, the VP of The dem president will be the likely nominee. Her BEST chance at a presidency would be in a minimum 8 years, should Obama lose re-election to a republican, and quite honestly hillary is too old to wait that out.

Well there's always Chelsea.

D:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom