• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official FootballSoccerFútbol Thread 2009/2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

markao

SteelAttack said:
Good game, with a much better second half from my team than the abhorrent first one. Van Persie showed some serious skill with both his goals.

I know Aguirre is still trying out stuff now that he has a chance, but it feels so weird to not have a defined starting 11 yet, or so it seems, with the first WC match taking place in two weeks. He [Aguirre] probably knows already what his starting squad will be, but some of the choices he keeps playing with, especially on defense, are puzzling.

At any rate, the team showed some good stuff on the second half, even though some of them were fighting for balls with way more intensity than a training match (2 weeks before WC and with rainy weather) should warrant. Thankfully nobody got hurt.
I thought Mexico played a lott better against England (specially 1st half), although score might suggest otherwise. Lott's of movement and technique, just lacking in "shape/defense", they give away to much room to the opponent to play in. And what's up with the lack of length, all Mexicans that small :D

For my team, reasonable/good first half, mainly impressed by Afellay (looks he want to show he can go one higher > PSV/Dutch league) and second 1/2 showed B-team + those guys not going to the WC are not good enough :D

Curious to hear tomorrow, who out of those guys playing today, will not go to the WC.

It's no surprise that they turned the offer, or at least the initial one, but the last paragraph is pretty strongly worded. Arsenal are publicly declaring that 1) they will not enter any discussion about him and 2) putting Barca's word out in the open for people to see. If Barca again make another bid, then it undermines their integrity as they have on more than one occasion stated that they will respect Arsenal's decision. Well the decision has been made. The only person that can make this deal work is Cesc and his family making pleas to Wenger to let him go. That would probably be more effective than any bid from Barca. But Cesc himself has distanced himself from the decision making.

So what's likely to happen now? Will either club making a humiliating U-turn or will Cesc hand in a transfer request and destroy relations at Arsenal?

In the end, as with all transfers, it rests with the player. If he wants to go, he'll go. He'll make a song and dance about it and leave his team with little choice but to transfer him. Even the great Henry that Arsenal fans love so much, spat his dummy out when he couldn't go to Barca the first time.

A few rumours coming out tonight. According to BBC Sport Rafa Benitez has been offered a £3m severance deal to leave Liverpool. Sounds like they're hoping he makes it easy for them, he only signed a new 5 year contract last summer so is entitled to alot more than £3m.

I literally cannot comprehend the insanity that must be in place within the Liverpool boardroom that has led to the attempting to pay Benitez to leave.

First of all, they have no money and to be spending so much getting rid of a perfectly good manager is madness.

Secondly, who are they going to replace him with? With no money and no Champions League... It's not like they have Mourinho lined up, ready to step in as soon as Benitez is gone. Dalglish is probably the best they could do but I seriously doubt he would want to put himself in that situation.

I hope they end up with Gareth Southgate. :D

£3m is cheap compared to what it could cost them. If he refuses and then they sack him he could demand what he is owed for his contract, or at least the majority. That could cost them upto £15m, but by doing what they've done they would have no choice. Think they were hoping Real Madrid, Juve or Inter would take him off their hands!

defel

I cant see Torres and Mascerano staying if Benitez is forced out. Losing Benitez will mean losing players as well. If Benitez has been unhappy with the amount of transfer money in the kitty for the last few years then I dont think any other manager will be happy either. Paying to get rid of Benitez is glossing over the deeper problem.

Garjon

It's not just the owners, the entire club is in turmoil. A lot of the fans and the top players want Benitez out, so that's what they're going for. At this stage though, sacking the manager is a terrible idea, at least until the finances are under control.

elseanio said:
My club is fucked. Going to Anfield tomorrow to protest these twat owners.

Don't blame you, if it was my club i would do the same. They've put themselves in a corner, as there is no way Benitez is staying, they're hoping he takes the deal in the interests of the club. Wouldn't blame him for refusing it though the way he has been treated.

The owners comments that the club has progressed under their ownership is ridiculous, worse league finish for years, no CL football and massive debts prove otherwise!

elseanio

Garjon said:
It's not just the owners, the entire club is in turmoil. A lot of the fans and the top players want Benitez out, so that's what they're going for. At this stage though, sacking the manager is a terrible idea, at least until the finances are under control.

Mostly paper talk that though. As stated above, someone said Torres will leave if Rafa goes, yet papers are saying he (and Carra and Gerrard) will go if Rafa stays. The owners, and the board room, are solely to blame for this mess.

Once Rafa has gone, these fans who have been calling for it will realise what a huge fuck up this will be

Edit* They're doing this to make Rafa the bad guy. Read a few comments saying Rafa should show dignity by walking.

defel

If I was a Liverpool fan I would suck it up and welcome a few years of 10th-4th place in the league and spend the time rebuilding. Its either that or spend the next 5 years in limbo with Benitez as manager, the board providing a pittance and a squad without the depth or talent to challenge for the top of the league again.

Garjon

elseanio said:
Mostly paper talk that though. As stated above, someone said Torres will leave if Rafa goes, yet papers are saying he (and Carra and Gerrard) will go if Rafa stays. The owners, and the board room, are solely to blame for this mess.

Once Rafa has gone, these fans who have been calling for it will realise what a huge fuck up this will be

Edit* They're doing this to make Rafa the bad guy. Read a few comments saying Rafa should show dignity by walking.
Yep, but the whole failure to get 4th place is a major contributing factor also.

It's the greatest case study for a catch-22 situation. The owners will now have to decide which player move will damage the club the least :/

elseanio

Was it Rafas achievement we came second the year before? Of course. We only have 2 players left over from the previous management, its all his signings that have giving Liverpool a new expectation to challenge for the title. It's the owners who needed to back the manager and build on these achievements.

Gerrard was missing all season (Managers fault? Maybe). Torres was mostly injured. These things happen. The difference is (between us and united/chelsea/city/spurs), had we had ANY money we wouldn't be brining on the likes of Ngog and Lucas to replace these star players, we'd have a little more quality to tide us over. Rafa has done extremely well on his budget of £0 for the last 3 seasons. He'll do even better at Inter with any transfer budget of over £0

Garjon

Hey! Leave Lucas alone!
I was actually being subjective; simply put I don't think Rafa deserves the walk, but when you are confronted with the present scenario, your list of options starts to decrease. Rapidly. Basically, Gillet and Hicks have until the end of the World Cup to decide:

Try to continue ownership of the club, keep Rafa but risk the ire (and departure) of several key players and the fans.

As above but get rid of him then lead yourself into quicksand when other key players leave and you become a club without a settled manager.

Sell the club at a lower price than what they're currently asking for and let the new guys handle it.

Garjon said:
Hey! Leave Lucas alone!
I was actually being subjective; simply put I don't think Rafa deserves the walk, but when you are confronted with the present scenario, your list of options starts to decrease. Rapidly. Basically, Gillet and Hicks have until the end of the World Cup to decide:

Try to continue ownership of the club, keep Rafa but risk the ire (and departure) of several key players and the fans.

As above but get rid of him then lead yourself into quicksand when other key players leave and you become a club without a settled manager.

Sell the club at a lower price than what they're currently asking for and let the new guys handle it.

I don't know where you're getting it from that the fans want Benitez out. From my experience most of the Liverppol fans want him to stay and understand that they will be fucked if he leaves.

elseanio

I'm a massive supporter of Lucas! Would have his name on my shirt if I bought one. I just don't think he was ready for a full season as a key player in midfield.

To be honest, the squad players Rafa brought in (Sortis, Maxi, Lucas, Yossi) have been some of our better players this season.

As for the fans: Those who want him out are the fickle ones who will love him when we win, and slate him to no end if in hindsight he gets something wrong. I sit on the Kop, and most will get behind Rafa whatever the outcome.

Guess we have to come to terms with: Rafa or no Rafa, Liverpool is in a horrible mess :(

sohois

Harry_Tequila said:
I don't know where you're getting it from that the fans want Benitez out. From my experience most of the Liverppol fans want him to stay and understand that they will be fucked if he leaves.

Maybe, but part of the reason fans feel that way is because there's no viable way to replace him. With the financial and ownership situation, no competent manager would want to come in, which basically leaves Liverpool with either promoting internally, in which Dalglish is the only option, or hiring some unknown/rookie manager, which isn't really an option at all. Further, any new manager would be stuck managing what is basically Benitez's team with no money for rebuilding available. If Liverpool suddenly got new owners tomorrow, most fans would probably be ok with replacing Benitez.

I think it all hinges on whether or not he's fallen out with Gerrard & Torres. A lot of the papers are claiming the players wanted him to leave, but I've seen no independent confirmation of this (and there probably won't be until after the World Cup). If he had lost the dressing room than this outcome was inevitable. If he hasn't, then I don't know WTF they're up to.

Reno7728

Absolutely gutted Rafa's gone, stupid decision and looking at the potential odds for a new manager we are fucked

would be happy happy with Pelligrini or Biliic - both out of work

As a reader of Paul Tomkin's blog I'm probably biased, but I'm utterly gutted. We are utterly screwed now, and the short-term simpletons can be happy until the new guy (if there is one) comes in, clears out 6 players at a knock-down price and spends on 2 maximum, then proceeds to fail even harder.

Edit: Also now apparently, Gerrard is now bigger than the club. Because this:

Torres-Gerrards-reactions-to-Benitezs-subbing-El-Nino_1270431796635.png

Is apparently how you get the manager sacked. Never mind Torres was proven to be carrying an injury and did get injured a few games later. Gos almighty.

Edit 2: Here's Tomkins take on Benitez departure, sums up my feelings completely. Watch the man go to Inter and eclipse Mourinho, they'll probably beat Madrid in next year's champions league.

I have a question for you long time EPL followers, has a mid level team ever won the EPL? I'm a huge Sunderland fan and have been following the EPL now for about 4 years, but I get the feeling they will never even break into the top 4. As an American who watches the NFL, NBA, and MLB, going into a season with a real chance of your favorite team winning it all makes the season so much more interesting. I love me some soccer, but it's like if your favorite team is not ManU, Chelsea, or Liverpool you have no chance of seeing your team win the title. It's almost like the rest of the 17 teams are just playing to not get relegated.

sportzhead said:
I have a question for you long time EPL followers, has a mid level team ever won the EPL? I'm a huge Sunderland fan and have been following the EPL now for about 4 years, but I get the feeling they will never even break into the top 4. As an American who watches the NFL, NBA, and MLB, going into a season with a real chance of your favorite team winning it all makes the season so much more interesting. I love me some soccer, but it's like if your favorite team is not ManU, Chelsea, or Liverpool you have no chance of seeing your team win the title. It's almost like the rest of the 17 teams are just playing to not get regulated.

Yes once; Blackburn won it in 1995. BUT that was after Jack Walker (local businessman) basically invested his entire £70million fortune into the club.

Google

sportzhead said:
I have a question for you long time EPL followers, has a mid level team ever won the EPL? I'm a huge Sunderland fan and have been following the EPL now for about 4 years, but I get the feeling they will never even break into the top 4. As an American who watches the NFL, NBA, and MLB, going into a season with a real chance of your favorite team winning it all makes the season so much more interesting. I love me some soccer, but it's like if your favorite team is not ManU, Chelsea, or Liverpool you have no chance of seeing your team win the title. It's almost like the rest of the 17 teams are just playing to not get regulated.

Chelsea and Man United were both mid level teams before they won their titles.

Feathers

sportzhead said:
So basically you need a huge amount of money to do anything in the EPL.

It helps, though Wenger seems to have gone on a crusade to prove otherwise. Teams may sometimes have more luck in the cup competitions, although that's usually dominated by the usual suspects as well.

Btw Liverpool, my condolences.

So apparently Sven is positioning himself for the Liverpool job after he has finished in the World Cup with the Ivory Coast. Would be a good signing as he knows Gerrard / Carragher from his time as England boss.

Funniest thing i have heard today though is that Barcelona think their £29.2m bid for Fabregas was 'fair market value'. :lol

Ataturk

Dear God, not Sven, I couldn't bear it! First of all he claims to be a Liverpool fan and he talks to the Sun? He plays the most Godawful football on top of being a slimy moneygrabber, the only one worse I've seen linked is Mark Hughes :/

elseanio

Seein that in town the day Rafa news was confirmed did indeed cheer me up a bit.

As for Liverpool manger, it really doesn't matter until the Americans sell up. Sky are reporting Harry Redknapp is being lined up, too.

Talon

Baconsarnie said:
So apparently Sven is positioning himself for the Liverpool job after he has finished in the World Cup with the Ivory Coast. Would be a good signing as he knows Gerrard / Carragher from his time as England boss.
Ah hahahahaha

Knows how to not utilize them correctly, amirite?

Baconsarnie said:

Funniest thing i have heard today though is that Barcelona think their £29.2m bid for Fabregas was 'fair market value'. :lol

I trust Dalglish to put a stop to any thoughts of getting that slimeball in the door. But God knows who we'll actually get.

elseanio said:
Seein that in town the day Rafa news was confirmed did indeed cheer me up a bit.

As for Liverpool manger, it really doesn't matter until the Americans sell up. Sky are reporting Harry Redknapp is being lined up, too.

I don't see any chance of Redknapp leaving Spurs after getting them into the CL for the first time ever. He'll probably have more money to spend at Spurs and a stable ownership as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom