• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Euro 2016 |OT2| Portugal eurowns France + Moths to become champions!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well it was quite the journey guys, and we have another Greece Euro type win.

Congrats to the Portuguese for the win... See you guys in the next world cup thread!

IceCold

So is Ronaldo considered the best Portuguese player of all time, of all time? And one of the top 5 players ever? Justica

Imo it's between him and Eusébio. I'd say Ronaldo simply because he has played at a ridiculous high level for so long. I can't think of many players who have been as consistent as him. Dude has been scoring 50+ for how many seasons now? It's nuts. He has also helped Portugal win this cup and if you look at the past 10 years, Portugal has never been as successful as it is now. Eusébio is a beast, a legend, he rests in the national pantheon in fact, but it's hard to compare him objectively with the current players without being affected by nostalgia a bit (and also the fact that many Portuguese are Benfica fans so there could be a bias there). I've never watched Eusébio play, minus the occasional highlights vid on youtube, so maybe I'm wrong. Also, if Ronaldo is one of the best players of all time, like top 3, then he has to be the best Portuguese player as well by extension.

Thinking about it, I'm very sad that he hasn't lived to see this moment. I know this would have meant a lot to him. RIP.

Hydrus

So with Ronaldo starting to enter his thirties, and what maybe the later part of his career, Who is going to be Portugal's next mega star? Seems like we've always had one.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
So with Ronaldo starting to enter his thirties, and what maybe the later part of his career, Who is going to be Portugal's next mega star? Seems like we've always had one.

There isnt one tbh.

Maybe Renato Sanches if he develops into what he looks like he could, let's see what happens at Bayern.

João Mario could / will easily be another Nani / Quaresma, but probably not another Rui Costa/Figo/Ronaldo.

Sporting has a few more kids that could break out big.

Banned
There isnt one tbh.

Maybe Renato Sanches if he develops into what he looks like he could, let's see what happens at Bayern.

João Mario could / will easily be another Nani / Quaresma, but probably not another Rui Costa/Figo/Ronaldo.

Sporting has a few more kids that could break out big.
Watching the U-21 teams and such, I'd say the next big talents are Bernardo Silva, Renato Sanches and Adrien Silva.

jts

...hate me...
Well it was quite the journey guys, and we have another Greece Euro type win.

Congrats to the Portuguese for the win... See you guys in the next world cup thread!
If you support England, according to avatar, I wouldn’t be too confident in making it there.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.

Berto

If everything goes on naturally it's Renato, he's too good for his age. It will depend on his mentality though, all the big national superstars like Figo, Rui Costa and Cristiano are very strong mental individuals. From what we can see, he looks like a guy that goes the extra mile to improve and is already extremely charismatic.

Melfice7

93gpuHL.gif

Party like it's 2004, Justiça

The concept of a team "deserving" a championship or win is totally bizarre and antithetical to me. Two teams play each other and one team wins. That's how sports work.

Anyway, congrats Portugal! Here's hoping the quality at the WC is higher.

Just losers mentality

No one gives a shit about the "better team" losing or winning ugly in history, it's always just going be remembered as "Portugal - Euro 2016 champion"

It was hilarious hearing the ESPN French analyst after the game saying how poor Portugal was and the better team lost

You will not have one and will be a better team this way.
Sanches is no where near mega.

longdi

Banned
I think euseibio and figo have to step aside for Ronaldo today.

I saw figo play and he is a chubbier less goal happy version of cr7. With this win, i think Ronaldo is up there with pele maradona and fatnaldo. What a beast! He deserves it for his relentless pursuit of no.1. That selfless passion he showed in this tourney, he probably can play the next Euro if nothing bad happens to his body.

Mimosa97

I think euseibio and figo have to step aside for Ronaldo today.

I saw figo play and he is a chubbier less goal happy version of cr7. With this win, i think Ronaldo is up there with pele maradona and fatnaldo. What a beast! He deserves it for his relentless pursuit of no.1. That selfless passion he showed in this tourney, he probably can play the next Euro if nothing bad happens to his body.

Both Messi and Ronaldo are up there with the likes of Pelé, Maradona, Beckenbauer, Crujff, Zidane, il fenomeno Ronaldo etc...

What I don't like is people who try to rank players based on stupid stats. These are all legends of the game in their own rights. For the life of me I wouldn't be able to rank them.

Berto

One thing that always bugged me is why Portugal was never a power in the past, in the 60's and 70's we had fantastic players and Benfica was always fighting for the European Cup. 1966 was the only exception, it's trully bizarre. The national team only exploded when the portuguese clubs started to decrease their influence on the continent.

Iceternal

The concept of a team "deserving" a championship or win is totally bizarre and antithetical to me. Two teams play each other and one team wins. That's how sports work.

Anyway, congrats Portugal! Here's hoping the quality at the WC is higher.

France NEEDED the win, but didn't deserve it.

If they did, they would've won.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
Neither team deserved the win. They just should've handed the cup back to UEFA and said "we'll try again in 4 years." Bloody hell what a dread this tournament, in that regard the finale was an excellent closing match. If my grandchildren ever come up to me and ask me to tell them about the EC of 2016, I'll tell them it never happened.

Tubie

Neither team deserved the win. They just should've handed the cup back to UEFA and said "we'll try again in 4 years." Bloody hell what a dread this tournament, in that regard the finale was an excellent closing match. If my grandchildren ever come up to me and ask me to tell them about the EC of 2016, I'll tell them it never happened.

Being salty is never the way to go about things.

Rhaknar

Selección EspañolaVerified account
‏@SeFutbol
Tras 2.933 días como campeones, entregamos el cetro europeo a Portugal. ¡PARABÉNS @selecaoportugal! #EURO2016

Classy Spain <3

Nestunt

How are you more entitled to win a competition when you cannot even beat the team that did not "deserve" to win? Sports pundits have their own rules for philosophy's logic.

bjaelke

July FIFA Ranking Top 20
1. Argentina
2. Belgium
3. Colombia
4. Germany
5. Chile
6. Portugal
7. France
8. Spain
9. Brazil
10. Italy
11. Wales
12. Uruguay
13. England
14. Mexico
15. Croatia
16. Ecuador
17. Poland
18. Switzerland
19= Hungary
19= Turkey
RG0BS1U.gif

This is a very special title. As I wrote in a past post, this Portugal team was not even liked here in pt (not because the style of play) mostly because of club reasons. This is a transitional team between uprising players who have yet to play at the big leagues (patricio,mario, william, adrien, renato,guerreiro) , top players (ronaldo,pepe) and then a mix between players in a downward trajectory (nani,quaresma,moutinho, carvalho) and a few others like cedric who had the chance to do what the first group will do (play in better leagues) and you can see that he is much more used to a certain physicality and pace, and Fonte. We have no strikers, and its a huge limitation that almost no other national team has.

Because of this context, it«s really hard to expect Portugal to behave like it has done in the past. When almost half of the team still plays in the Portuguese league, that comes with the price. They will flourish in bigger clubs and get used to a different pace, but for now they have a great sense of positioning and control. Even this team it's very unnatural. Mario is a center midfield and was obliged to play next to the lanes. Nani and Ronaldo were put in the center. William/Adrien/Renato were forced to play with a defensive mind that none goes through the year. It's a huge accomplishment considering the context.

We've been very consistent. Since 2000 we've been in the semi/final/quarter/semi/final in Euros. We lost to France (who won), Germany and Spain (who won). There has to be respect for what a small 11 million country is able to accomplish in this tournaments consistently.

Congrats boy. Really happy for all, but specially for Sporting players and Sporting former players who are basically the skeleton on this team (10 Sporting youth played yesterday in the final, which might a record).

It's one of those victories that will never be forgotten in history.

France-Gaf, we know the felling. I'm not very attached to national teams so. at the time, that didint really affected me. But it's a shitty situation that will pass. We know what France has been through and you guys deserve to be happy but i also want to note that Portugal since 2009 has been through a lot. People don't know how hard things can be here, we live in Europe but we're not prosperous at all. Football is, by far, our greatest passion. The whole country fucking deserved to be happy.

Rhaknar

Ronaldo the Coach

also Renato Sanches: "Tonight all my friends can celebrate with me, almost all of them are for Sporting" lol, guess they couldnt celebrate with him a few months ago :D

J Jizzle

Other than the run Wales & Iceland went on, I really didn't enjoy this EUROs. I know they won't go back but the 24 teams really didn't help.

Rhaknar

not gonna lie. Kinda salty about no title change tbh :/

Osahi

This is a very special title. As I wrote in a past post, this Portugal team was not even liked here in pt (not because the style of play) mostly because of club reasons. This is a transitional team between uprising players who have yet to play at the big leagues (patricio,mario, william, adrien, renato,guerreiro) , top players (ronaldo,pepe) and then a mix between players in a downward trajectory (nani,quaresma,moutinho, carvalho) and a few others like cedric who had the chance to do what the first group will do (play in better leagues) and you can see that he is much more used to a certain physicality and pace, and Fonte. We have no strikers, and its a huge limitation that almost no other national team has.

Because of this context, it«s really hard to expect Portugal to behave like it has done in the past. When almost half of the team still plays in the Portuguese league, that comes with the price. They will flourish in bigger clubs and get used to a different pace, but for now they have a great sense of positioning and control. Even this team it's very unnatural. Mario is a center midfield and was obliged to play next to the lanes. Nani and Ronaldo were put in the center. William/Adrien/Renato were forced to play with a defensive mind that none goes through the year. It's a huge accomplishment considering the context.

We've been very consistent. Since 2000 we've been in the semi/final/quarter/semi/final in Euros. We lost to France (who won), Germany and Spain (who won). There has to be respect for what a small 11 million country is able to accomplish in this tournaments consistently.

Congrats boy. Really happy for all, but specially for Sporting players and Sporting former players who are basically the skeleton on this team (10 Sporting youth played yesterday in the final, which might a record).

It's one of those victories that will never be forgotten in history.

France-Gaf, we know the felling. I'm not very attached to national teams so. at the time, that didint really affected me. But it's a shitty situation that will pass. We know what France has been through and you guys deserve to be happy but i also want to note that Portugal since 2009 has been through a lot. People don't know how hard things can be here, we live in Europe but we're not prosperous at all. Football is, by far, our greatest passion. The whole country fucking deserved to be happy.

Well said, and parabéns!

I wish I was in Portugal right now. My wife and I considered to go to our appartment in São Martinho for a moment to watch the finals in our go-to restaurant where the owner (nicest guy ever) always watches and talks football. But work obligations (and high flight ticket prices) meant we couldn't really. Now that they've won, I regret not making it happen even more. Would have loved to see the guy go crazy after that goal. Would have loved to join in the festivities afterwards.

Both Messi and Ronaldo are up there with the likes of Pelé, Maradona, Beckenbauer, Crujff, Zidane, il fenomeno Ronaldo etc...

What I don't like is people who try to rank players based on stupid stats. These are all legends of the game in their own rights. For the life of me I wouldn't be able to rank them.

You missed Sir David Beckham from your list, mate.

Glad this tournament has ended. It was boring from the first minute until the last. Sums it up when the team that won it won just one game in 90 minutes.

Iceternal

This is really hard for France, the country really needed the win, after everything that's happened and that is happening right now...

I would've honestly prefered to lose against Germany.

It was an ugly game to watch too ...

But still, congrats Portugal !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom