• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Euro 2016 |OT2| Portugal eurowns France + Moths to become champions!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tugatrix

The South remembers...

the king in the south

13256330_890438781078596_9189721287503062421_n.jpg

I've actually enjoyed watching Portugal in the tournament. Nani and Pepe have tremendous. The whole team have shown great ability to turn opposition attacks into mere glancing blows with limited numbers at the back and have got forward a lot actually. This wasn't a park the bus but more like neutralizing the opponent and they keep trying to come up with a goal. Not saying it's been pretty or cavalier but this wasn't one of those 70-30% possession backs to the wall jobs that some are making out.

Deschamps really did waste Pogba playing him so deep. Sissoko and Matuidi had good tournaments though.

Hopefully England can one day stop believing hype we're full of talent and come with a gameplan and drop a few names. Well done Portugal.

Surprised more people aren't talking about the poor roster decisions here. Every game there was a new midfield starting. Pogba, Matuidi, Payet, Kante, Sissoko, and on and on.

You gotta pick a team and live with it otherwise these guys are playing musical chairs. Also you got Coman, Martial, and Gignac getting no time because Giroud is out there playing like trash.

Berto

Such an incredible feeling! All my life I was used to loose big european finals as Portugal and Benfica supporter. To actually win is tremendous and ... man I cannot express it. In my work we had a running joke that Eder would score in the final the winning goal, when I saw him shoot and score I didn't scream Goal! I scream "IT WAS EDER!" xD

Banned
My sporting checklist to witness during my life:

Benfica Champions League Win
Portugal World Cup Win
Portugal Euro Cup Win
Toronto Maple Leafs Stanley Cup Win
Toronto Raptors NBA Championship
Toronto Blue Jays World Series Win (I was 5 when they won in 1993 and don't remember)
Tennessee Titans Super Bowl Win

airjoca

I understand everyone that's bitter and resentful towards our win. In 2004 it took me a long time to accept that Greece were the better team and deserved to win. That's football.

Portugal won thanks to Ronaldo not being a dead weight holding the team back, once he went out they were able to pull their best show in the whole tournament.

Good for the team that he decided to fake an injury to protect his ego and to elude any sentiment of disappointment and actually let a competent player take his role and do something useful with it.

Congrats to Portugal on being the better team, well deserved.

Croyles

France lost to Portugal almost the same way Germany lost to France. Truly weird Euros. Quality of football wise, this has IMO been the worst I have seen, but that's not to take anything away from Portugal! Time to move on.
Grats Portugal!

No after that abysmal performance with France. I'm sorry but no.

Whereas Italy would have? :)

Let it go my friend.

Lucc

The better team doesn't always win a tournament. But this time the team that deserved it more won.

Portugal had more heart. Look how devistated Ronaldo was when he had to leave the field.

I'm curious how different the game would have been if Payet didn't foul Ronaldo out of the game. I regard it just as how Neymar got fould out in the WC. He robed us of a more interesting match.

Putzweg

Sure maybe this year Portugal did not deserve it but in the long run they did (poetic justice, golden generation, 2004 etc). So i am happy for Portugal.

Croyles

The better team doesn't always win a tournament. But this time the team that deserved it more won.

Portugal had more heart. Look how devistated Ronaldo was when he had to leave the field.

I'm curious how different the game would have been if Payet didn't foul Ronaldo out of the game. I regard it just as how Neymar got fould out in the WC. He robed us of a more interesting match.

Ah the "more heart" debate, always a classic.

Massa

Portugal won thanks to Ronaldo not being a dead weight holding the team back, once he went out they were able to pull their best show in the whole tournament.

Good for the team that he decided to fake an injury to protect his ego and to elude any sentiment of disappointment and actually let a competent player take his role and do something useful with it.

tumblr_inline_mstv2ge1091qz4rgp.gif

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Clearly Gaf needs a Portuguese mod, title still not changed ;_;

Can't tell if this is serious or bait

thenameDS

I can't believe what I witnessed today. I was devastated when Ronaldo got injured and thought that was it for us, but the team stayed strong and we won.

No we didn't have a pretty tournament but we leave unbeaten and that's all that matters. I genuinely had tears of happiness when Eder scored and eventually when the final whistle blew and we lifted the trophy. So proud to be Portuguese. Just a shame I live in Wales and wasn't at one of the fan zones in Portugal or Paris.

What a shit result. France was so good throughout the tournament...shame they choked.

I don't think is as true as you'd think. They were average in the group stage and essentially rode Payet through it. Then they played Ireland, Iceland, and a depleted Germany that was doing really well until Bastian made the biggest mistake of his career.

Lucc

Ah the "more heart" debate, always a classic.

Yeah, that game was the very definition of "more heart" imo. The underdog defended against the ocelot of the favorite. They were helplessly inferior to the french team but stood their ground and took the deserved victory after they took charge in extra time while France fell apart.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Who came out valued or devalued out of that you think?

Sissoko valued for sure. Guerreiro and Patricio for Portugal probably. Maybe João Mario.

feel

Soooo happy right now!! 😭🎉

Thanks to all of you who had kind words for us the Portuguese, thanks for letting us have this joy once in our lives, even if we weren't a great team to watch at times, I guess we did what we had to do.

A big thanks also for those who embarassed themselves with the salty or clueless posts, great laughs were had.

"One man team" wins the title without the man. Incredible night, still can't believe it. Never in a million years I thought this could happen.

Boring match, boring final, the more boring team wins.

Soccer.

I wasn't having fun when Spain was dominating, but at least they could be fun to watch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom