• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Gameboy Advance Software Thread of Micro Pleasures for Great Pocket Justice

Just started playing F-Zero Climax again and I think it should get a mention.

Although you'll probably complain that no-one can buy it :p

Also how come Megaman Zero is called Megaman Z in the list?

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
i found broken sword for $3.99 at gamestop, yah!

diffusionx

Gold Member
I recently got a DS and picked up Zero Mission and Yoshi's Island. Zero Mission is.... soooooooooooooo awesome. Yoshi's Island is, well, what can you say about that game? I love how crisp it looks on the DS. I'll be picking up Metroid Fusion soon and also added a bunch of games to Goozex (Mario & Luigi, Fire Emblem, River City Ransom, SMB3) so hopefully I'll have a lot more soon.

Link Man

Banned
Just ordered Klonoa: Empire of Dreams from Amazon. $3.59 + $3.99 s/h, cart only but label intact and excellent condition.

mjc

Picked up:

Spyro Eternal Night
Kingdom Hearts Chain of Memories
Summon Night 2
Kirby Nightmare in Dreamland
Zelda Minish Cap
Gradius Galaxies
Game & Watch Gallery 4
Megaman & Bass

Arctic Feather said:
Just started playing F-Zero Climax again and I think it should get a mention.

Although you'll probably complain that no-one can buy it :p

Also how come Megaman Zero is called Megaman Z in the list?

Reading that game has a track editor makes me wanna plop down $41 after shipping for one of those copies on eBay

rareside

Does anyone have strong feelings about Magical Vacation?

Thinking about buying, but I've only played 2 JRPG's on the GameBoy. One was Tomato Adventure (5 years ago) and the other was Mother 3 a year ago.

Something about reading too much kanji on the tiny screen...

wii_HD

Neo Member
acr0nym said:
again... way to recommend a game no one can buy :D

Got mine some 18 months ago via eBay, after seaching for proberly over a year on and off.

French store - altiude import -

Strange thing is he had about eight copies all original, all new.

Course I was dubious but bought a copy anyway and true enough its a Nintendo pcb with cart label stamp with professional printed booklet and box so I guess its an original.

Also for some reason a search with eBay UK set to worldwide did not bring the game up I saw it when I checked the sellers other auctions.

shot1smallcf6.jpg

shot2smallfe4.jpg

Overture

Neo Member
I honestly didn't think there were so many games i'd want to play. Looks like i'll be getting a Micro sometime soon. Good work Arturo.

btw is there still a big piracy problem with GBA games on ebay? IIRC the majority of games a few years ago were yarred.

Overture said:
btw is there still a big piracy problem with GBA games on ebay? IIRC the majority of games a few years ago were yarred.

Yeah, there's still an awful lot of pirate games on there, but it's usually easy enough to tell them apart.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
I just ordered the Tiny Toon game Treasure made, I can't believe I let this one under my radar. Also, I've beaten Legacy of Goku II and I kind of want to buy and get right into Buu's Fury, despite the numerous GBA games I've already bought in the last two weeks.

Arturo

Princess Skittles said:
I just ordered the Tiny Toon game Treasure made, I can't believe I let this one under my radar. Also, I've beaten Legacy of Goku II and I kind of want to buy and get right into Buu's Fury, despite the numerous GBA games I've already bought in the last two weeks.

ippo.jpg

I found Hajime no ippo: The fighting! in eBay, by Treasure too, in a really good condition (actual game in the photograph). I haven't heard about that Tiny Toon game, so please give us your comments when you receive it.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
okay, here's my big question to you guys:

anyone who's imported mother 3.......if i wouldn't understand any of the text, is it still worth buying if i'm a huge earthbound fan? are there faqs that can give me the jist of what just happened and i can still enjoy the graphics and gameplay? or is it not worth the import?

mother3ghosts.png

Arturo

Just added:

Guru Logic Champ

gurulogicchamp-box.jpg

• Developer: Compile
• Publisher: Compile
• Release: JP 2001
• Genre: Puzzle
• Description:
The game's story mode sees the Champs, small yellow bird-like creatures who attempt to help free inhabitants of their neighbourhood. To do so, they must complete a series of logic puzzles. Each stage requires the player to complete an image by placing and removing blocks on the board.

• Screenshots:

gurulogicchamp-ss01.png
gurulogicchamp-ss02.png
gurulogicchamp-ss03.png

gurulogicchamp-ss04.png
gurulogicchamp-ss05.png
gurulogicchamp-ss06.png

--------------

Thanks to womp!

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
mattiewheels said:
okay, here's my big question to you guys:

anyone who's imported mother 3.......if i wouldn't understand any of the text, is it still worth buying if i'm a huge earthbound fan? are there faqs that can give me the jist of what just happened and i can still enjoy the graphics and gameplay? or is it not worth the import?

mother3ghosts.png

I've been contemplating the same thing for a long while now, since the fan translation project's slower than molasses. So much of the charm in Earthbound came from a good translation though.. I don't know if I'd ruin the experience playing through the game with a FAQ.

mjc

Are the Legacy of Goku games even that great? I played through most of the first one and I didn't really dig it too much.

bgudna

BorkBork said:
I've been contemplating the same thing for a long while now, since the fan translation project's slower than molasses. So much of the charm in Earthbound came from a good translation though.. I don't know if I'd ruin the experience playing through the game with a FAQ.

well there´s a translation on gamefaqs that you can use, that shows you all the text in the game. I guess it just depends on how badly you wanna play, I played through my copy of mother3 that way and got used to it pretty quickly ... the game is awesome by the way and if youre a earthbound fan then it´s a must get ;)

fushi

I wish I knew where to get Ninja Five-O/Ninja Cop. The only copies on eBay are way too high priced.

Edit: Ninja Cop is the European name. You should update your list with it, Arturo.

womp

fushi said:
I wish I knew where to get Ninja Five-O/Ninja Cop. The only copies on eBay are way too high priced.

Edit: Ninja Cop is the European name. You should update your list with it, Arturo.

No clue for the name change, Ninja Five-O is so much more superior. Must be a cultural thing.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
mjc said:
Are the Legacy of Goku games even that great? I played through most of the first one and I didn't really dig it too much.
I heard the first one was pretty crappy but I haven't played it myself. The second one is actually good, the battle mechanics could be better but it's a solid game if you're a Dragon Ball Z fan and aren't a fan of fighting games. Apparently the third one, Buu's Fury, is even better.

Zoc

This seems like a good place to ask... inspired by GAF, I bought two Famicom versions this week, and I want to get some multiplayer bit generations going.

Now, I'd rather just get a cable than two wireless adapters, but I can't seem to find confirmation anywhere that games designed for the wireless adapter will also work with a wire. Seems like a silly question, but I want to be sure before potentially wasting money on something I'll never use.

Anyone played bit generations multi with a wire?

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
I'm pretty sure they'd work wired. Making them wireless only would make zero sense.

It's too bad Nintendo couldn't get the Wireless Adapters to work retroactively, it was a seriously missed opportunity.

GasMan

Thanks for the Max Payne recommendation. Picked it up this morning for a few quid and have managed to sneak a few sessions in over lunch. Bloody brilliant it is. The atmosphere, the style and the action all in one small package. Loving it. Never did play Max Payne on console right enough so that might have something to do with it, but this is a cracker so it is.

Arturo

Captain N said:
I'd like to suggest a few games

Rebelstar Tactical Command
Disney's Aladdin
BookWork
The Tower

Hi, Captain N!

Rebelstar Tactical Command was already on the list :) I will add The Tower later today, but I just can't seem to find any info on BookWork o_O

Arturo

Just added The Tower SP

Thanks, Captain N!

--------------

The Tower SP

thetower-box.jpg

• Developer: Vivarium
• Publisher: SEGA/Nintendo
• Release: US 2006 | EU Not released
• Genre: Simulation
• Description:
While it seems a bit dated, The Tower SP offers some solid gameplay for fans of micromanagement. The Tower manages to work surprisingly well as a handheld. The options are laid out in menus that are easily accessed by a press of the right shoulder button. Navigating through the building is simple, and the pause feature allows you to see the satisfaction level of the various offices and businesses. Addictive like only simulations can be. The game is a bit too easy and really offers up no challenge, but it¿s a lot of fun watching the building grow.

• Screenshots:

thetower-ss01.png
thetower-ss02.png
thetower-ss03.jpg

thetower-ss03.jpg
thetower-ss05.jpg
thetower-ss06.jpg

Missing:
Kirby & The Amazing Mirror
Klonoa 2: Dream Champ Tournament
DK: King of Swing

As well as others, sure, but not as essential as those. You could add the DKC trilogy, but as they're ports I'm not sure. Then again, the whole SMA series is there so...

Arturo

Princess Skittles said:

Thanks!

Just added SSFII Turbo Revival and Doom

--------------

Super Street Fighter II Turbo Revival

ssfturborevival-box.jpg

• Developer: Capcom Production Studio 3
• Publisher: Capcom
• Release: US & EU 2001
• Description:
Super Street Fighter II Turbo Revival is definitely a good game for the GBA, and it's a no-brainer as a purchase if you're itching to get a little one-on-one action in on the handheld...especially if you dig the Street Fighter II series as a whole. The port went over smoothly in most all areas except controls, as the four button configuration and layout just doesn't cut it 100%. But give it time...it's not a perfect compromise for the hands, but your fingers will definitely find the zone after a few rounds. Super Street Fighter II Turbo Revival is definitely a good game for the GBA, and it's a no-brainer as a purchase if you're itching to get a little one-on-one action in on the handheld...especially if you dig the Street Fighter II series as a whole. The port went over smoothly in most all areas except controls, as the four button configuration and layout just doesn't cut it 100%. But give it time...it's not a perfect compromise for the hands, but your fingers will definitely find the zone after a few rounds.

• Screenshots:

ssfturborevival-ss01.png
ssfturborevival-ss02.png
ssfturborevival-ss03.png

ssfturborevival-ss04.png
ssfturborevival-ss05.png
ssfturborevival-ss06.png

--------------

Doom

doom-box.jpg

• Developer: David A. Palmer Productions
• Publisher: Activision
• Description:
Yep, Doom on the Game Boy Advance turned out extremely well. It's definitely thrilling to see such a small system push a game only the big boys have been able to push -- Doom on the Game Boy Advance is excellent fun that's hurt only by its unestablished multiplayer mode and its overall been-there-done-that feeling. The game does have some holes that needed filling during development, but even so, it's an absolute keeper for your GBA library.

• Screenshots:

doom-ss01.png
doom-ss02.png
doom-ss03.png

doom-ss04.png
doom-ss05.jpg
doom-ss06.jpg

meppi

More games that deserve to be added:

Korokoro Puzzle: Happy Panechu!
Advanced Guardian Heroes
Karnaaj Rally
The Pinball Of The Dead
Dr. Mario & Puzzle League
Kuru Kuru Kururin
ChuChu Rocket
Kururin Paradise
Final Fight One
Elevator Action Old & New
Final Fantasy Tactics Advance
Gekido Advance
Krazy Racers
Ghouls 'N Ghosts
Kikikaikai Advance
Klonoa G2
Double Dragon Advance

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
Now I want to find a copy of BookWorm. We need more board and card games.

Also, I've been looking for Elevator Action Old & New for a long time now.

Arturo

And the last ones for today: Kirby Nightmare in Dream Land and Final Fight One.

Thanks everybody for the suggestions. Just have a little patience ;)

--------------

Kirby Nightmare in Dream Land

kirbynightmareindreamland-box.jpg

• Developer: HAL Laboratory / Flagship (JP)
• Publisher: Nintendo
• Release: US 2002 | EU 2003
• Description:
It's definitely one great looking GBA platformer. It's not a hugely challenging game, and don't be surprised if you blow through the game to the end in a sitting or two. But keep in mind that there's a lot of discovery and, yes, a little strategy in order to complete the game 100%, and you'll want to do that to get the "extra" something. The level designs aren't exactly taxing, but they do hide some of the hidden exits pretty well. That's where the challenge lies. Excellent pixel-art animation of all the Kirby morphs and enemies, with wonderful painting background elements that utilize the GBA's color capabilities.

• Screenshots:

kirbynightmareindreamland-ss01.png
kirbynightmareindreamland-ss02.png
kirbynightmareindreamland-ss03.png

kirbynightmareindreamland-ss04.jpg
kirbynightmareindreamland-ss05.jpg
kirbynightmareindreamland-ss06.jpg

--------------

Final Fight One

finalfightone-box.jpg

• Developer: Capcom Production Studio 3
• Description:
It's hard not to like Final Fight One on the Game Boy Advance. The game is a classic with challenging gameplay and a real energetic feel throughout the adventure. It's not an entirely deep game, but it's very satisfying from start to finish...and the addition of the battery means that if, by some odd twist of gaming taste you grow tired of the repetitive nature, you can just switch it off to take a break, knowing full well that you'll pop right back at the start of the level you left. This is a great example of a SNES conversion done right on the system...and it helps that the original game is a good one, too.

• Screenshots:

finalfightone-ss01.png
finalfightone-ss02.png
finalfightone-ss03.png

finalfightone-ss04.png
finalfightone-ss05.png
finalfightone-ss06.png

Banned
Great updates!

Hey, does anyone know the maximum size Mini SD card you can put in a EZ Flash IV? I want to use a Gameboy Micro for music homebrew.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
I heartily endorse the two Shaman King: Master of Spirits games, they are basically sisters to the GBA Castlevania games. They are by Konami and they are totally solid. I just picked up the first one for $2.50 new and sealed at the Best Buy.

What's the deal with all the good licensed anime games on the GBA? :lol

Oh, it's $10 new on Amazon still (the first one). BUY IT.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0001ZZNN8/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Rhythm Tengoku get!

IMG_02881.jpg

Not being able to understand Japanese is no problem for this game. Lack of rhythm, as the name suggests, is however. But I'm making my way through it.

This site and this guys YouTube videos are great for understanding how to play correctly.

Some take a lot of tries. For instance.

Arturo

New update: Karnaaj Rally
The game with the worst box art ever? Possibly… but the game is as good as ugly is the box art :)

--------------

Karnaaj Rally

karnaajrally-box.jpg

• Developer: Paragon 5 / Infinite Dreams
• Publisher: Jaleco
• Release: US 2002 | EU Not released
Apart from the lame character presentation (which ultimately affects the box art direction) and poor choice of title that's just as difficult to read as it is to spell, Karnaaj Rally is an excellent racing game that's a bit slow-going at the start. Give it a few trips around the track, though, because the challenge definitely increases as time goes on. The faster the cars, the more difficult it is to complete the circuit. The game's graphics are downright gorgeous, with a super ambitious combination of 2D and 3D elements used to great effect on the Game Boy Advance system.

• Screenshots:

karnaajrally-ss01.png
karnaajrally-ss02.png
karnaajrally-ss03.jpg

karnaajrally-ss04.jpg
karnaajrally-ss05.jpg
karnaajrally-ss06.jpg

meppi

Arturo said:
Karnaaj Rally

• Release: EU Not released

I was just about to say that this can't be since I just bought my second copy last weekend on a trip to Holland, but I just checked both copies and they are indeed US versions.

Arturo

And another one: Super Ghouls'n Ghosts, the most difficult game ever made :)

--------------

Super Ghouls'n Ghosts

superghoulsnghosts-box.jpg

• Developer: Capcom
• Release: US & EU 2002
• Description:
This game is the most difficult game ever made :) But what's interesting is that as frustrating as it is, the game is still fun to play. The game should lighten up on gamers, at least in the first level, because there are some places that are just way too unfair to those just starting out. But even with the difficulty breaking the "expert" scale, this is a keeper...and it'll take you quite a few times through to see everything. Thankfully the game offers that necessary cartridge save. This game is definitely recommended...but take some stress pills before you boot up the cartridge.

• Screenshots:

superghoulsnghosts-ss01.png
superghoulsnghosts-ss02.jpg
superghoulsnghosts-ss03.png

superghoulsnghosts-ss04.jpg
superghoulsnghosts-ss05.jpg
superghoulsnghosts-ss06.jpg

Top Bottom