• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Grand Theft Auto: Vice City Stories thread

Does the story get better? The redneck stuff is depressing:( I also think the writing is a lot raunchier, instead of being clever they just toss in a lot more swears:/ So far Vic is rather two dimensional and I hate his woman.

The rest is great, just not a huge fan of the story atm. First thing that really impressed with were the character models, they're not a huge leap but there's certainly a lot more detail in them. I didn't play LCS (just used it for homebrew), so I can't compare it but I really miss having the right analog to look around. I get soundtrack skips like everyone's said, and the atv can't turn left half the time on the analog nub (wtf, dpad controls are fine, though).

Sugarman said:
Does the story get better? The redneck stuff is depressing:( I also think the writing is a lot raunchier, instead of being clever they just toss in a lot more swears:/ So far Vic is rather two dimensional and I hate his woman.

The rest is great, just not a huge fan of the story atm. First thing that really impressed with were the character models, they're not a huge leap but there's certainly a lot more detail in them. I didn't play LCS (just used it for homebrew), so I can't compare it but I really miss having the right analog to look around. I get soundtrack skips like everyone's said, and the atv can't turn left half the time on the analog nub (wtf, dpad controls are fine, though).

It gets a lot better when Lance arrives.

Oni Jazar

Sugarman said:

I agree with you about the characters. Reminds me of Saints Row more then GTA. :/ I'm not very far at all though.

BTW I've been thinking, there's no way in here that San Andreas will come to the PSP in its full land size. The UMD just can't hold that much. Maybe it'll be Los Santos Stories or something.

I'm not going to hold my breath, but yeah that's the one I'm really excited about seeing. If they can pull of San Andreas then Rockstar am PSP Gods. :bow

scarybore

Chris Michael said:
Did this thread really need a sticky?

:lol Bit sad really but what can you do? I am sure the game will still sell well regardless.

Either way, there was a update released for the custom firmware I am using that allows you to run from the UMD without updating to 2.81 apparently so I'll be buying the game once I have recieved and finished Phoenix Wright 2.

Chris Michael said:
Did this thread really need a sticky?

Well ya gotta realize that you got a lot of other high profile games being talked about now as well, like Gears, FFXII, Resistance, the new Zelda trailer, and the whole NFS: Carbon rapage.

I'm not suprised about the little bit of talk for Vice City Stories.

Ranger X

gutter_trash said:
what's with the inflated price tag? 59.99 CDN, what's Rockstar smoking

LCS was also sold at 10$ more if i remember right. Huge titles are already 49$ and because it's GTA they take 10$ dollars more for you. Name power.
Same happened with SA and previous GTA on console too, they were always costing more because GTA3 took the world by storm.

It doesn't mean you should buy it at 59$ mind you. As far as i am concerned they can shove it up their ass.

It's sad how quickly PSP topics die on GAF now, especially the Power Stone one. A few months back all I heard from the supposedly hardcore crowd was about how much they missed the series and wish it'd get a chance at a revival. Yet when the chance finally arises where the hell are you people?

Little spoiler action concerning ambulance missions I just got a few hours ago:

If you complete 15 ambulance missions you get unlimited sprint...had a buddy who told me it was 30 but after 15 I was able to sprint nonstop from one end of the island to the other

Ranger X said:
LCS was also sold at 10$ more if i remember right. Huge titles are already 49$ and because it's GTA they take 10$ dollars more for you. Name power.
Same happened with SA and previous GTA on console too, they were always costing more because GTA3 took the world by storm.

It doesn't mean you should buy it at 59$ mind you. As far as i am concerned they can shove it up their ass.
The Best Buy promotions department was sadly asleep at the wheel for GTA: VCS launch week. They've got it priced at $39.99 CDN in next week's flyer. Early adopters am screwed. Serves me right for snapping it up on impulse when hitting EBGames for their Collector's FFXII. Should have known better.

Ranger X said:

for LCS i got lucky with a 10 bucks release day rebate at EB,

I will wait for VCS to come down in price, I don't like the idea of PSP games costing more then PS2 games, especially when games such as God Hand were abailable at 35.99 CDN at Wal-Mart... no portable game should cross over the 49.99 CDN boundery

Ranger X

B-Rad Lascelle said:
The Best Buy promotions department was sadly asleep at the wheel for GTA: VCS launch week. They've got it priced at $39.99 CDN in next week's flyer. Early adopters am screwed. Serves me right for snapping it up on impulse when hitting EBGames for their Collector's FFXII. Should have known better.

YOU SERIOUS??? when is this promotion starting? Next monday?

evil ways

The game's great so far, but yeah, they're really pushing the raunch to the max. It's no longer subtle like in the previous games, hell the 2 DJs from Flash FM are pretty potty mouthed and crazy.

Also, maybe my memory is a bit fuzzy but I don't remember a huge mexican or Cholo gang movement in Miami during the 80's. I guess they took a liberty with that.

evil ways said:
The game's great so far, but yeah, they're really pushing the raunch to the max. It's no longer subtle like in the previous games, hell the 2 DJs from Flash FM are pretty potty mouthed and crazy.

Also, maybe my memory is a bit fuzzy but I don't remember a huge mexican or Cholo gang movement in Miami during the 80's. I guess they took a liberty with that.

You should hear the DJ from Fresh FM... That Luke...

Oni Jazar

evil ways said:

What is up with that? Cholos? Was this in fear of the Miami mafia or something?

evil ways

Oni Jazar said:
What is up with that? Cholos? Was this in fear of the Miami mafia or something?

I don't know, but the Cubans are still there along with their Hermes cars and
Umberto Robina

M3wThr33

Banned
Arde0 said:
Little spoiler action concerning ambulance missions I just got a few hours ago:

If you complete 15 ambulance missions you get unlimited sprint...had a buddy who told me it was 30 but after 15 I was able to sprint nonstop from one end of the island to the other

Every GTA has that.

M3wThr33 said:
Every GTA has that.

I never played the GTA series really until LCS and once I finished the missions and storyline I never went back. This time I am going to to take my time and enjoy this game.

Ranger X

Arde0 said:
I never played the GTA series really until LCS and once I finished the missions and storyline I never went back. This time I am going to to take my time and enjoy this game.

That's cool. It's worth it to do extra stuff at the same time you continue the story/missions. There's alot to discovers in GTAs and many usefull things also that will actually help you alot in completing the story/missions anyway.

Enjoy! ;)

GameSpot has a problem with reviewing PSP games using PS2 standards :/.

Cons: no real forward progress for the series to be found here

Well it's a handheld duh.

It's a rather big step up from Liberty City Stories, which was first game of that type on a handheld console. There's no chance that PSP will get GTA that's better than San Andres, it just isn't possible.

I can agree with hate on the story, characters, art style, but not with hate for issues because the game doesn't look technically better than PS2 games and doesn't have more advanced gameplay.

Maybe now we should also hate DS games, cause they aren't as advanced as GCN games?

That's just stupid, Gamespot blows.

Yeah, that's retarded. I was going to mention it. This ain't a PS2 game, folks. It's a handheld game. Remember 3 years ago when ****ing mode 7 was still impressive for GBA games? This is Vice City running on a handheld. The expectations can't be exactly the same as a console. That's absurd. The standards of evaluation = need to be more clearly differentiated.

Ranger X

Well, it's not totally offset to expect a PS2 game here. Fact is both hardwares are comparable. This means you can expect a "PS2 quality" game on the technical side. (Not a full-crazy last years PS2 game there. I mean, "generally speaking".)

It's the same for DS. Of course we don't expect DS games to be like GCN games, the hardware isn't comparable at all.
DS = You expect SNES or more for 2D and for 3D it's "PS1 or better".

Ranger X

I just bought Vice City Stories at Best Buy here in Montreal.

Up until the 9th of November, the game is sold 39$ CDN.

Ranger X said:
Well, it's not totally offset to expect a PS2 game here. Fact is both hardwares are comparable. This means you can expect a "PS2 quality" game on the technical side. (Not a full-crazy last years PS2 game there. I mean, "generally speaking".)

It's the same for DS. Of course we don't expect DS games to be like GCN games, the hardware isn't comparable at all.
DS = You expect SNES or more for 2D and for 3D it's "PS1 or better".

I don't think they are comparable. While the PSP might be on par with the PS2, it's still a portable. Lots of games are deliberately gimped because they are meant for portable play (things like shorter missions, no free-roaming so as to reduce disc access, etc), but most reviewers still judge them by PS2 (or greater) standards.

And what's worse, is they seem to be judge PSP games by current PS2 standards. Not PS2 games at this point in the PSP's lifetime.

And I think the DS gets something of a pass. I know Gamespot rated Madden DS's graphics higher than the PSP versions, yet Madden DS is far uglier than football games on the N64 (and the PSP version of Madden actually looks quite good, easily better than early PS2 Maddens).

gutter_trash said:
what's with the inflated price tag? 59.99 CDN, what's Rockstar smoking

Well, gee, why don't they just give the game away? Voice actors cost money. Licensed tracks (100 of them) cost money. Actually hiring decent programmers costs money. Not to mention it comes with a full color manual and a fold out map...

trancejeremy said:
Well, gee, why don't they just give the game away? Voice actors cost money. Licensed tracks (100 of them) cost money. Actually hiring decent programmers costs money. Not to mention it comes with a full color manual and a fold out map...

Defense Force post of the month

Ranger X

trancejeremy said:
I don't think they are comparable. While the PSP might be on par with the PS2, it's still a portable. Lots of games are deliberately gimped because they are meant for portable play (things like shorter missions, no free-roaming so as to reduce disc access, etc), but most reviewers still judge them by PS2 (or greater) standards.

You see, here again it's a small difference. There isn't as much stuff that distinguish itself as "portable" on the PSP than on the DS per example. Most PSP games ARE like PS2 games sorry. I think the PSP would need to differenciate itself more for me to not compare it to the PS2.

trancejeremy said:
And I think the DS gets something of a pass. I know Gamespot rated Madden DS's graphics higher than the PSP versions, yet Madden DS is far uglier than football games on the N64 (and the PSP version of Madden actually looks quite good, easily better than early PS2 Maddens).

The Nintendo DS cannot even filter a texture like the N64 does. The only edge that is apparent over a PS1 is that the DS can do "perspective correcting" wich prevents textures from warping when you look at them at some angles. The whole "DS = N64" thing is only some good Nintendo PR. In reality it's bullshit.

elostyle

Never forget! I'm Dumb!
Ynos Yrros said:
Cons: no real forward progress for the series to be found here

Well it's a handheld duh.
That's a retarded argument. What does being-on-a-handheld have to do with it?

M3wThr33

Banned
God damn! SHUT UP!
I'm sick of you bitches complaining.

It's a PSP game with a shitload of content! Get over it.
It won't be ported. That'd kill GTA4 sales next year.
It controls fine. The game isn't compromised.
You aren't saying anything new. Stop trolling the thread.
It's more than worth the price. Especially since current-gen stuff will now be $60.

Talk ABOUT the game, not about how you hate the game or firmware or anything else.

Argh. Why the hell are you guys so focused on this crap?

On a good note, I completed all 15 extortion missions. (Took a few tries)
I'm going to try to take over a bunch more of the city before going back to the airport mission.
Top rank: Ultimate Badass. I can live with that.

Ranger X

M3wThr33 said:
God damn! SHUT UP!
I'm sick of you bitches complaining.

It's a PSP game with a shitload of content! Get over it.
It won't be ported. That'd kill GTA4 sales next year.
It controls fine. The game isn't compromised.
You aren't saying anything new. Stop trolling the thread.
It's more than worth the price. Especially since current-gen stuff will now be $60.

Talk ABOUT the game, not about how you hate the game or firmware or anything else.

Argh. Why the hell are you guys so focused on this crap?

On a good note, I completed all 15 extortion missions. (Took a few tries)
I'm going to try to take over a bunch more of the city before going back to the airport mission.
Top rank: Ultimate Badass. I can live with that.

You're right but the only thing i can't agree with you is the price point. This game is 10$ bucks more than ANY other game and it's because it's GTA. That's it. There is absolutely no other reasons. I can't agree with this line of thinking. I don't want to pay for god damned names (that are worth nothing anyway -- anybody can make a bad game).
I'm happy to see that Best Buy sold this one 39$ and that the game IS AWESOME

On your other points, i want to push the firmware thing....
SHUT THE FOCK UP ABOUT FIRMWARE UPDATES. Don't buy your god damned PSP for emulation or piracy you stupid cocks. Upgrade and just shut up already.
Go emulate the life out of this world through your PC or something.

Ranger X said:
SHUT THE FOCK UP ABOUT FIRMWARE UPDATES. Don't buy your god damned PSP for emulation or piracy.

Yeah, because there's no legitimate reason for me to want to play games at a higher clock speed with shorter loadtimes on a format much more efficient than UMD. And there's obviously no legitimate reason for me to want to play my NES/SNES/Genesis/GBA/SCUMM/Doom engine games on one handheld. Upgrading deprives you of a lot of amazing features and the ability to play a lot more games.

For $250 plus $100 for a memory stick, I don't see what's wrong with people wanting to get the most out of a handheld that otherwise would have a fairly small library of compelling exclusive games. If I own Earthbound, I have no problem with going through a couple extra steps to play it on a handheld.

I've never pirated a game. I don't have any games on my PSP that I don't own. And I still think the 1.5/2.71SEB rocks. Letting users customize their PSP in any way they see fit is an amazing, brilliant thing for a handheld, even if it's not authorized. The PSP is a beast, and it's capable of a lot more than Sony tells you.

So don't knock it.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
M3wThr33 said:
I just realized. Is Louise's baby the first child to ever be in a GTA game?

whoa, there's a baby in this GTA?

i was already 100% sure of getting this game, now i'm like 110% because it piqued my interest in that regard.

Top Bottom