• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Klonoa: Door to Phantomile (Wii) Discussion Thread of "I'm back, bitches!"

Stumpokapow said:
There's a wide gulf between $30 and $40 as well.
That goes without saying, but I think the perception gap between $40 and $50 is specifically relevant because $50 is what brand spanking new software goes for on Wii. Naturally I'd like to see it released as affordably as possible, but as a port they need to at a bare minimum keep it priced a notch below completely original software. Whether it's $30 or $40 is less vital so long as it's not in the same neighborhood as something developed from the ground up.

Ranger X

Kilrogg said:
Why couldn't you use the buttons to throw the enemies with the Wiimote? The game has like, 2 actions. I know they said they'd have motion controls in the US version, but I don't think they'll be mandatory.

They are not mandatory. That's the reason why i'm happy :)

GhaleonQ

1. Mission accomplished. Klonoa (the character) salvaged.

2. Honestly, this will be the 1st time that I buy a game and trade it in the next day. I don't really need another copy of the 1st Klonoa, but I really want any compilations, sequels, spin-offs, or un-localized games to be released here. Donation + 1.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Mejilan said:
I'll definitely be re-buying this. Still disappointed that I can't get my PSOne copy to work on my PSP.

Oh snaps! I think I might have managed to create a fully playable PSP conversion, at last!
It's not perfect, but I've just 100%'ed Visions 1-1, 1-2, 2-1, and 2-2 with only minor issues. I'm now on Vision 3-1, something I've never been able to achieve on the PSP!

Woohoo! No worries! Still buying the Wii remake once it hits NA!

Mejilan said:
Oh snaps! I think I might have managed to create a fully playable PSP conversion, at last!
It's not perfect, but I've just 100%'ed Visions 1-1, 1-2, 2-1, and 2-2 with only minor issues. I'm now on Vision 3-1, something I've never been able to achieve on the PSP!

Woohoo! No worries! Still buying the Wii remake once it hits NA!

No wonder the game never showed up on PSN if you're having such troubles to run a rip...

This game will probably be 40 dollars just like Tales of Symphonia 2. Price doesn't matter anyway. I would buy this game if it were 80 dollars... Just like I did the original. =D

baka kitsune said:
This game will probably be 40 dollars just like Tales of Symphonia 2. Price doesn't matter anyway. I would buy this game if it were 80 dollars... Just like I did the original. =D

That's certainly motivation for me to buy the original now, without feeling stupid.

The PSP rip might have to do with the firmware. Newer firmwares probably have better support. In addition, ripping software might have improved since the last time you tried to rip.

Mejilan

Well, I just finished the game with all 72 bastards saved. I even finished the Extra Vision.
I found 3 reproduce-able show-stoppers, all in all. The first is easily avoided, the second and third occur during a stage transition. So long as you save after completing the affected stages, you can reload and continue even if the game hands during that first transition.

Mejilan said:
?
Klonoa 2 hit the PS2 ages ago.
Agreed though, a Klonoa 3 would be nice.

Klonoa 1 hit the PS1 ages ago, but I'm still buying the Wii version. I'm hoping that they add to Klonoa 2 in some meaningful way.

Mejilan

Oh, you mean a Wii port of Klonoa 2?
I suppose it depends on how this Klonoa 1 remake sells.

Mejilan said:
Oh, you mean a Wii port of Klonoa 2?
I suppose it depends on how this Klonoa 1 remake sells.

That's the idea. The devs brought it up in the last issue of Nintendo power. They said they hoped that the remake sold well enough so they could port over the second one. If that sold well enough then they'd make Klonoa 3 for the Wii as well.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Or they could be nice and port the Wii port to PSN/Live. The series never had much success at retail but this port bombed pretty bad in Japan, where as it might do alright as a downloadable.

Mejilan

Yeah, not a huge fan of the changed voice, but in all honesty, I didn't much like it before either. Dude playing in those two videos sucked balls, though.

baka kitsune said:
Ugh, they changed Klonoa's voice in the English version. I don't think I like it very much. He doesn't sound cute anymore. >=(

http://www.gamespot.com/wii/adventu...17/klonoa-gameplay-movie-3?tag=videos;title;1

Heh, it's awkward as I'm obviously used to the higher-pitched, more younger sounding Japanese voice. But I guess they're trying to make a the game more NA friendly without going too far (as in that poochie look that they thankfully dropped). But don't forget, apparently in the Japanese version, you can choose between the default Japanese language, or the original gibberish language, that may be so here, thus we get an additional English choice!

And here's the NA box:

135420e.jpg

Like I said in the box thread, I actually prefer the logo over the original, but I'm wondering... is that underline nessesary? It'd be better without it in my opinion.

Also notice that Klonoa and his Jell-o friend and higher on the box than before. Don't know why.

GhaleonQ

Hero of Legend said:
But I guess they're trying to make a the game more NA friendly without going too far (as in that poochie look that they thankfully dropped).

To be fair, you can absolutely tell that this voice actor was originally hired to do the Poochie voice.

GhaleonQ said:
To be fair, you can absolutely tell that this voice actor was originally hired to do the Poochie voice.

My thoughts exactly. But hey, it's not that bad. It's not the first time a character with a squeaky young voice in the Japanese version of a game was dubbed with an older, more pre-teen voice.

Chip is another example.

Mejilan said:
Huepow is not a Jell-o friend. :(

So? I just forgot his name! :lol :p

GhaleonQ

http://www.1up.com/do/previewPage?pager.offset=1&cId=3172337&p=

Mielke said:
1UP: Will we ever see a port of the Klonoa game for WonderSwan in any form? Or were the GBA games close enough for your tastes?

HY: For now, we don't have anything planned, but I believe the WonderSwan version is a superb action puzzle game and I really want to remake it.

1UP: Will we ever see an all-new, next-gen Klonoa game? Does Namco's continued revival of the older games mean they're still supporting the franchise? Klonoa's game mechanics seem like it could lend itself to some Shadow of the Colossus-style vertical challenges.

HY: We currently don't have anything planned, but I'm hoping we will be able to come up with a new Klonoa game.

Wonderswan Klonoa brings me 1 step closer to having all of the Klonoa games in English.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Hero of Legend said:
Heh, it's awkward as I'm obviously used to the higher-pitched, more younger sounding Japanese voice. But I guess they're trying to make a the game more NA friendly without going too far (as in that poochie look that they thankfully dropped). But don't forget, apparently in the Japanese version, you can choose between the default Japanese language, or the original gibberish language, that may be so here, thus we get an additional English choice!

And here's the NA box:

135420e.jpg

Like I said in the box thread, I actually prefer the logo over the original, but I'm wondering... is that underline nessesary? It'd be better without it in my opinion.

Also notice that Klonoa and his Jell-o friend and higher on the box than before. Don't know why.
The Jello thing's colors clash with the background IMO.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
jeez that box art's terrible. it looks so...sterile.

buying anyway.

yuck.

They could have done worse, I suppose. Namco box art has never been really impressive. Whomever they have working on their box art should be replaced.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
what the fuck -- klonoa's voice was awesome. as if making it slightly deeper makes the game SUPER MANLY. will not play

Can someone update the OP? If I hadn't checked the last page of this thread I'd still be thinking this wasn't confirmed for a US release.

d+pad

NA game companies are so funny :lol Do they really think adding a spunkier (for lack of a better word) voice will make the game all the more appealing to young male gamers? Oh well, I'm going to buy it anyway - as long as it isn't too expensive...

Ranger X

d+pad said:
NA game companies are so funny :lol Do they really think adding a spunkier (for lack of a better word) voice will make the game all the more appealing to young male gamers? Oh well, I'm going to buy it anyway - as long as it isn't too expensive...

Yeah it's ridiculous and they really think they know what they are doing. All the while we read books, watch movies and listen to music from everywhere without particular changes outside translation...

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Yay platformers on the Wii! Will definitely buy this despite having absolutely no exposure to the Klonoa series prior. Gotta get the rest of the series remade too, somehow. :D

By chance, does anyone know of any other Wii platformers coming out this year? 2007 was Galaxy, 2008 was LostWinds/Wario Land/Megaman, 2009 is Klonoa and...?

jarrod

Banned
They should definitely remake Moonlight Museum for DS!

iirc, the "Klonoa Works" team has a lot of crossover with the "Driller Project" and Pac-Man teams.

schlew

GhaleonQ said:
1. Mission accomplished. Klonoa (the character) salvaged.

2. Honestly, this will be the 1st time that I buy a game and trade it in the next day. I don't really need another copy of the 1st Klonoa, but I really want any compilations, sequels, spin-offs, or un-localized games to be released here. Donation + 1.

That'll likely result in someone buying a used copy over a new one. So, then that's -1 for Klonoa.

Compass

Banned
God all fucking mighty, the new voice sucks, and was, of course, a completely unwarranted, unnecessary, and ill conceived change.

I knew it was too good to be true when they didn't go with the ridiculous Poochie character redesign. (And the fact it was ever even on the table speaks volumes about the whole company.) They just couldn't leave well enough alone, though, could they? Yeah, I'm sure Klonoa will be a HUGE hit, now that they've "manned him up" for all the Madden/GTA fans who couldn't give two shits about this franchise in the first place.

Namco is an awful company re-confirmed yet again.

Davey Cakes

The voice work should NOT be a deciding factor for anybody. If you don't like it, boohoo, but the game still looks really fun.

Alcibiades

:lol

Scamco strikes again... not the least bit surprised... after the success of casual stuff on the Wii it's a great way to give hardcore gamers a middle finger...

jarrod

Banned
Y'know, at this point I'm honestly thankful we're getting it all. I weep for The Sky Crawlers and Tales of Hearts. :(

Alcibiades said:
:lol

Scamco strikes again... not the least bit surprised... after the success of casual stuff on the Wii it's a great way to give hardcore gamers a middle finger...
If you refuse to play a game over something as insignificant as the sound effects that the main character makes then you aren't really a hardcore gamer. Hardcore whiner, maybe.

Ranger X

Rash said:
The voice work should NOT be a deciding factor for anybody. If you don't like it, boohoo, but the game still looks really fun.

So you perfectly understand why we are surprised than Namco changed it to something worse! Good.

Alcibiades

nincompoop said:
If you refuse to play a game over something as insignificant as the sound effects that the main character makes then you aren't really a hardcore gamer. Hardcore whiner, maybe.
I never said I refused to play the game or wouldn't buy it, just wanted to join the chorus of those saying the voice change sucks... The voice won't affect my decision to play it or not, but it does seem like a bone-headed move.

Top Bottom