• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Klonoa: Door to Phantomile (Wii) Discussion Thread of "I'm back, bitches!"

GhaleonQ

Also, doesn't this screw up the contrast between Klonoa and Guntz?

(And thanks for posting the survey, by the way.)

I took the survey and used my best pouty unsatisfied consumer reasoning at the end.

"As a Klonoa fan I am heavily partial to the original character design which is original and charming. The redesign shown in this survey appears to be a misguided attempt to retool the character to be more edgy and modern for cynical marketing purposes. In reality it comes across forced and highly derivative of mascots from other series. I'm pleading in all earnestness for you to maintain the original design. For me it will make the difference between a preorder/day one purchase or picking it up from the used game bargain bin some time down the road. "

Cliffnotes:
Fuck with the character design and you will not see my money.

:lol

bdouble

wow that is a horrible redesign. Cmon people in NA don't hate cute that much. Really will that make it more appealing to the GTA/Fo3/MGS fan anyways or whoever they are trying to appeal to? What are they trying to accomplish with that?

Eteric Rice said:
Is it me, or do some of those screens look like the game has bump mapping?
eh? Yes. Hell Dewy had it. It is possible on the Wii

Eteric Rice

bdouble said:
wow that is a horrible redesign. Cmon people in NA don't hate cute that much. Really will that make it more appealing to the GTA/Fo3/MGS fan anyways or whoever they are trying to appeal to? What are they trying to accomplish with that?

eh? Yes. Hell Dewy had it. It is possible on the Wii

Well, it's just surprising considering hardly anyone ever uses it. :|

I think Nintendo and Konami (Dewey) are the only ones so far.

Oh god no :S How the fuck is he going to flap those ears?

This has got to be an attempt by Namco to rile up the base. I cannot make any other sense of it. They couldn't possibly actually do that. :(

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
It's like Scamco goes out of their way to piss us off, even when they're trying not to piss us off.

bdouble

Eteric Rice said:
Well, it's just surprising considering hardly anyone ever uses it. :|

I think Nintendo and Konami (Dewey) are the only ones so far.

Its actually showing up a bit more. Looks like both Sonic games have it. Hell F5 did it with Rogue Leader. The GC/Wii just does it differently though with its TEV if I'm not mistaken. I think it takes a bit more work to do it with decent performance and most Wii games to this point just haven't had the time put in them.

Anyways this game does look good and me not even playing the first it would make me really disappointed if they changed the model.

Took the survey, put 1 in every opinion about the new look, and 5 in every opinion about the classic look.

I told them, that North America does love cute, non-edgy animals, and that Pokemon is the best example of that.

Comic

If they don't change the design, I'm pre-ordering this. I am excited, though if they change the design... no way.

Cosmozone

Come on, the new design isn't too bad. However, as an outsider, I don't like both of the designs too much. The old one has this silly hat and boots and weird ear positioning. The new one looks too "cool" for it's own good. I'd prefer a more friendly looking character.

Cosmozone said:
Come on, the new design isn't too bad. However, as an outsider, I don't like both of the designs too much. The old one has this silly hat and boots and weird ear positioning. The new one looks too "cool" for it's own good. I'd prefer a more friendly looking character.

Hey, I'm not one to overreact, but I'd say it's clearly a confused step down. The original Klonoa is meant to be a cutesy character that fits his world and background - this is not Crash or Sonic. The new one is definitely an edgy "poochy" take.

If Namco has so little confidence in their series that they feel like changing character designs on marketing guesses, then I can't really feel confident buying the game.

EDIT: It is strange saying that, though. Countless redesigns have hit characters like Megaman without this kind of commentary. I suppose the problem is more that they think the original game was held back by the character design. A new game might have not had this response.

Crazymoogle said:
Hey, I'm not one to overreact, but I'd say it's clearly a confused step down. The original Klonoa is meant to be a cutesy character that fits his world and background - this is not Crash or Sonic. The new one is definitely an edgy "poochy" take.

If Namco has so little confidence in their series that they feel like changing character designs on marketing guesses, then I can't really feel confident buying the game.

I'm inclined to agree with this

Gilgamesh said:
Took the survey and expressed my displeasure at the redesign.

Same

Sagitario

People is over reacting... Namco is asking what design to use, is not like the decision has been made (just to piss you off) yet...

Crazymoogle said:

What? How does that even make sense? You refuse to buy a good game because you don't think the publisher has confidence in the tittle [yet they're asking about the designs to appeal to the majority or to a broader audience]... Yeah, that will show them...

KevinCow

Banned
bdouble said:
They're not trying to get the GTA crowd. They're trying to appeal to today's kids. Back in the '80s and early '90s, mascot characters could be cute and cuddly, but ever since Sonic, kids seem to have grown more and more fond of the cool and edgy style and less fond of the cute and cuddly style.

It sucks, and I hope they go with the original design, but that's just how it is.

Farore said:
People is over reacting... Namco is asking what design to use, is not like the decision has been made (just to piss you off) yet...
Yea, some are over reacting.

But as for the whole "the choice has yet to be made" bit . . . I think thats just a fools dream. I don't remember Nintendo ever asking fans "do you like this Mario design ORRR this new one? What do you like or disslike?" (bad example) or Sega or Capcom or Ubishit every asking Western fans if they like this out-of-the-blue design for a platforming character over the old design for them for a game that will be out in Japan soon.

The simple fact that their asking is enuff for me to figure that, yea, they plan on changing his design regardless at some point and just want to have a grip on what people think. But that could be a good sign . . . as in, they plain on backing the series and bring it back with new games (for the Wii, home of the plateformers!) so they want him to be as appealing as he can be to the new people.

I liked the lil servey. It made me really pick apart the new design. I actually like the jacket and shorts much more than the org design as well as the face fur (it's much less tense/ pointy on the new one). In the end I chose to give them some real talk after saying that I know theres a good chance of them changing his design either way by the fact that they are asking about it.

My list went like this . . .

1. Give him a hat. It's like Mario's/ Link's hat or Sonic's shoes. Change it's shape, make it look different . . . doesn't matter, just give him the hat.

2. Make the ears white-on-black with no pink. The pink makes him look like a bat. If your going to keep that than give him more of a tail so that people can see he is a cat and not a bat or a rat or something.

3. I really like the new collar, shorts, face fur and jacket more (but it would look cooler if he only had the collar with out a jacket) so that could stay.

4. Make the boots like his org design. Larger and more cartoony.

5. Make his ears floppier! The new one's ear's are too tense looking. If they are dead set on that new ear shape than so be it . . . atleast make it half as floppy as the org one's so that they lay down abit

So, in other words, mostly a half way point between the 2 bodies with the org boots and the new threads.

Thats basically what I said at the end.

Crazymoogle said:

EDIT: It is strange saying that, though. Countless redesigns have hit characters like Megaman without this kind of commentary. I suppose the problem is more that they think the original game was held back by the character design. A new game might have not had this response.

I agree with this.

Not trying to overract either, fully aware that Namco isn't exactly changing the design just yet. But the fact that they are even thinking of it as a possibility makes me wonder "what's going on there, Namco?"

Perhaps Megaman never got this kind of commentary because the main basis of Megaman is still the same - blue dude with a gun arm. Everything else they've done to him still fits within that range, with minor "accessory" tweaks. With Klonoa here, they're changing the main characteristics of what Klonoa is known for - the floppy ears and cutesy style. When you do that, you have a completely different character.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
It will if they go with that scruffy the fuck-dog design concept they've been kicking around.
I'll buy it day 1 regardless, but YIKES if they make me play a game with that horrendous mascot in it.

Mejilan said:
It will if they go with that scruffy the fuck-dog design concept they've been kicking around.
I'll buy it day 1 regardless, but YIKES if they make me play a game with that horrendous mascot in it.

It'll bomb no matter what Scamco HomeWrek does.

Yeah, it almost certainly is going to bomb.

What's criminal is that, with the right promotion, this would probably be a huge success as a PSN/XBLA title in the vein of BC: Rearmed or SSFIIHDR. The game would get the audience it deserves and open the franchise back up to an audience that would be receptive to it.

But no, Namco would rather see it buried along with every other third party Wii game that will never sell more than 15K. Jerks.

lyre

Mejilan said:
If they go with scruffy, it'll deserve to bomb, is the difference. :(
If Namco releases Poochie: Door to Phantomile, I'll continue waiting for the game to never release on PSN.

If they try and push it at the same price as an original piece of software it will probably bomb, but if they go with a $30-$40 price point it might have a chance at carving out a respectable niche for itself. How much does it retail for in Japan?

seaandthebells said:

What's criminal is that, with the right promotion, this would probably be a huge success as a PSN/XBLA title in the vein of BC: Rearmed or SSFIIHDR. The game would get the audience it deserves and open the franchise back up to an audience that would be receptive to it.

But no, Namco would rather see it buried along with every other third party Wii game that will never sell more than 15K. Jerks.

Oh dear.

am I missing something here? Why would this game bomb?

Because it's on Wii and not PSN?

Because they toyed around with the idea of making an ugly change to the main character?

lyre

seaandthebells said:

What's criminal is that, with the right promotion, ...
With the right promotion, the game will also sell as a disc based product. But since this is Scamco we're talking about, that ain't happening. Not all sidescrollers have to be DD products.

radiantdreamer said:
am I missing something here? Why would this game bomb?

Because it's on Wii and not PSN?

Because they toyed around with the idea of making an ugly change to the main character?
Because it's Scamco and none of the Klonoa games, afaik, sold very well..

ghibli99

lyre said:
Because it's Scamco and none of the Klonoa games, afaik, sold very well..
IIRC, my friend who used to work at Namco said that audiences in the US didn't get or connect with the character. Could be why they're tryng to change the character this time around.

Not sure how well-known this is, but the name Klonoa is a play on words... in Romaji, it's "kuronoa" or "kuro" (black) + "noir", which explains Klonoa's color scheme.

lyre

I don't really see how Poochie will help connect with the audience either, personally.

And Klonoa has been in 4 english games (5 if you include the PAL only volleyball game), appeared as a costume in Tales of Symphonia, and I'm sure there are other cameos that I'm not aware of, so changing his look now wouldn't do anything for the game other than piss off fans from the first game.

Also, how will Namco explain how Klonoa hovers without his ears? :p

Link

The Autumn Wind
seaandthebells said:

You're a bright one.

The user ShadowCattivvi on IGN is posting that there's a new Nintendo Power article which states that they are sticking with Klonoa's original design in response to the online survey (hooray!), and that the team also wants to port Klonoa 2 and do a new game if sales are good enough. Sounds like more of the infamous Wii "tests", but Klonoa is one series I'd actually be willing to support remakes of as long as they're polished and reasonably priced.

Can anyone confirm this NP information?

Dascu

GrotesqueBeauty said:
The user ShadowCattivvi on IGN is posting that there's a new Nintendo Power article which states that they are sticking with Klonoa's original design in response to the online survey (hooray!), and that the team also wants to port Klonoa 2 and do a new game if sales are good enough. Sounds like more of the infamous Wii "tests", but Klonoa is one series I'd actually be willing to support remakes of as long as they're polished and reasonably priced.

Can anyone confirm this NP information?
Awww shucks.

Is this game going to get localized?

AniHawk

Dascu said:
Awww shucks.

If there's info in Nintendo Power, most likely.

And a Klonoa 2 port is a no-brainer. You bastards better buy it this time though.

Dascu said:
Awww shucks.

Thankfully, yes. No word on when though. It seems like a lost opportunity that Namco didn't position it for a holiday release here considering how scant the competition is. Hopefully it will be priced lower than a typical new release like the IGN preview states it is in Japan.
AniHawk said:
And a Klonoa 2 port is a no-brainer. You bastards better buy it this time though.
It was actually the first PS2 game I purchased, and it's still one of my favorites. I'll gladly buy it again if they handle the port properly. Here's hoping I'm not alone.

Dascu

GrotesqueBeauty said:
Thankfully, yes. No word on when though. It seems like a lost opportunity that Namco didn't position it for a holiday release here considering how scant the competition is. Hopefully it will be priced lower than a typical new release like the IGN preview states it is in Japan.
Great, will buy.

Top Bottom