• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official March 2008 NPD - There are no words. Almost $1B in SW sales

Nutter

AniHawk said:
...Worldwide, but stateside it was between 4 and 5m. CoD4 has been catching up. Across all versions, I believe it has already outsold Halo 3.
Halo was at 5 million at the end of DEC. So that is why an update to the LTD would be nice.

Are we going to consider the PS3 and 360 a tie since it is only 5k discrepancy? Since NPD does not get full report from all vedors, ie Toys R US, IE Amazon

PlayStation 3 257K
Xbox 360 262K

BoomHeadShot.gif

Wizman23

Banned
DKnight said:
What the fuck do people see in the Wii. I have no words indeed.

I don't get it either. I bought into at as well and maybe turn it on once every 2 months when people come over cuz they wanna play tennis or something.

Frillen

KTallguy said:
:)

I'm just saying, I have a Wii and Smash, but with like 700k+ buying the Wii, I wonder if they're buying software or just playing Wii Sports and Wii Play. I didn't mean to insinuate that those are the only games they're playing, but I'm surprised that there's not more software movement.

Hard to know since we don't get numbers outside of the top 10.

VAIL

titiklabingapat said:
The interesting thing about the Wii is that Smash Bro probably contributed very little to that number. Most of that are driven by Wii Sports :lol

you keep thinking that.

mouthyavatar.gif

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
KTallguy said:
Holy crap, are people on Wii just playing Smash and Guitar Hero?
It's called having a catalogue. Just because a game isn't in the top 10 doesn't mean it isn't selling.

The Wii is very much like the DS in that the market is spread quite thinly over a vast array of titles.

Teriyaki

Wow at Army of Two.

If you position your release right on the 360 (in the right genre), you can seriously move product with untested IP.

ZeoVGM

Banned
360 software sales are just insane.

Hey where are the "see!? PS3 outsold 360 in January and February when 360 was having supply issues! PS3 WINNING FROM HERE ON OUT" people?

These sales pretty much go with what the smart people were saying: 360 very supply limited in January + first two weeks of February, slowly started getting better the last two weeks of February. First week or so of March, supply was regular again with VERY few areas being supply limited.

What will be the final telling of this is what 360 vs. PS3 sales are in April combined with GTA4 end up being.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
schuelma said:
sony cowboy or any other sales agers- is the Wii number the highest non holiday month ever? What was the highest PS2 mark?
Yes.

PS2 June 2002 = 690K. That was the month after the $100 price drop from $299 to $199.

schuelma said:
sony cowboy or any other sales agers- is the Wii number the highest non holiday month ever? What was the highest PS2 mark?
It is [without November/December and launch months].

Highest PS2 mark was @ 690.000 [June 02].

If the main reason for slow 360 sales is shortages, then where the hell are the consoles? Its not like they haven't channel stuffed before, so why are they having trouble. Are they saving up for shock and awe sales with price cut/GTA IV?

Chiggs

Gold Member
sprocket said:
lol at all the 360 fanboys in this thread.. its less than a 10 k difference!

"Of course they're desperate, they can smell their death, and the sound they'll make rattling their cage will serve as a warning to the rest."

KTallguy said:
:)

I'm just saying, I have a Wii and Smash, but with like 700k+ buying the Wii, I wonder if they're buying software or just playing Wii Sports and Wii Play. I didn't mean to insinuate that those are the only games they're playing, but I'm surprised that there's not more software movement.

Actually, by all accounts, Wii software has been greater than 360 software since December. Of course, that counts Wii Play, but still, it's worth noting.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
omg rite said:
360 software sales are just insane.

Hey where are the "see!? PS3 outsold 360 in January and February when 360 was having supply issues! PS3 WINNING FROM HERE ON OUT" people?

These sales pretty much go with what the smart people were saying: 360 very supply limited in January + first two weeks of February, slowly started getting better the last two weeks of February. First week or so of March, supply was regular again with VERY few areas being supply limited.

What will be the final telling of this is what 360 vs. PS3 sales are in April combined with GTA4 end up being.
Price drop and those key exclusive Sony has finally coming out. Don't you worry, things will work themselves out.

mildewproduction said:
Playstation 3
hillary-clinton.jpg

Xbox 360
mccain_happy_as_a_clam.jpg

Wii

d38fb0d4-1449-44df-9a36-761fcabaedbe_mn.jpg
Fixed according to who will be the eventual winners.

Hillary = PS3 = Candidate who, coming off a successful predecessor, was thought to be the inevitable successor, but failed. Represents old school of thought.

McCain = 360 = Candidate who looks to be successful, but not successful enough to ultimately win. Is practically a physical embodiment of the old school of thought.

Obama = Wii = Outsider candidate who nobody gave a second thought to who suddenly came from behind and became massively popular. The old school of thought really hate him and see him as a massive threat to the point of supporting a rival candidate to see that he doesn't get on the ticket. These attempts failed.

Banned
BenjaminBirdie said:
I think a realistic appraisal of Blu-Ray's current popularity in the grand scheme of the media marketplace doesn't really support that notion. It won the format war, but it still has a long way to go to mass market acceptance on the kind of level that will really boost PS3 sales significantly.

The PS3 does get a double shot of sales. It sales as a game console and a blu-ray player but you are right. I over estimated the popularity of Blu-Ray.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
Even though Microsoft beat who they want to beat, they still are in need of a price cut. They went down around 10k on week average on sales. They need a boost

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
cvxfreak said:
What are the hardware LTDs? The Wii made a massive gain on the 360.

I have it as:

360- 9.9M

Wii- 8.8M

PS3- 4M

jaaz said:
You cleverly deduced that conclusion on a difference of 5,000 units sold? Bravo!

Dont you think its surprising that the PS3 was outsold by the 360? The 360 is only $50 cheaper has RROD issues as we are constantly reminded, does not include a blu ray player, has a smaller HD and no Wifi.

One could argue that the only reason why the PS3 is even close is because the 360 is overpriced and should be at least $100 maybe even $150 cheaper than the PS3 especially as its an additional year older

I think this month's results point pretty persuasively towards "videogames are a recession-proof business" remaining true. :lol

Not much to say here that a cavalcade of ohshit.gifs haven't said for me: Wii and DS numbers are redonkulous, PSP can sell software when actual AAA titles come out for it, PS3 and X360 are both looking pretty weak here, bow down before our new Smash overlords, etc.

Striker

AniHawk said:
...Worldwide, but stateside it was between 4 and 5m. CoD4 has been catching up. Across all versions, I believe it has already outsold Halo 3.
Comparing one exclusive game's sales to another game's sales that reaches multiple platforms? It outsold Halo 3 if you include all consoles and everything else, if that's what you mean.

Walshicus

Wizman23 said:
I don't get it either. I bought into at as well and maybe turn it on once every 2 months when people come over cuz they wanna play tennis or something.
It's not for us. I wish it were, because it's cheap and I like enjoying things. But alas.

How many points for running over a granny carrying Wii Fit?

GenericPseudonym said:
If the main reason for slow 360 sales is shortages, then where the hell are the consoles? Its not like they haven't channel stuffed before, so why are they having trouble. Are they saving up for shock and awe sales with price cut/GTA IV?

they lost one of their console makers and just recently signed a new one.

What an incredible month. This slaughters every past March on all fronts.

Every system is up over last year, save the PS2. None of these numbers would be bad with half this many viable systems on the market.

What's really crazy is that May (which includes GTA IV's launch date) will probably be even bigger.

Top Bottom