• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official MLB Thread - 2006 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr. Strangelove

I'M COOCOO FOR COCO CRISP!
Joe said:
the pitching available is slim to none. might as well get another slugger and try to out score other teams because it doesnt look like the yankees pitching will be getting any better.

Yeah, but Abreu isn't a slugger anymore. He gets on base, but the power stroke has disappeared. He's like a slightly more talented Trot Nixon.

Dez

Dr. Strangelove said:
Yeah, but Abreu isn't a slugger anymore. He gets on base, but the power stroke has disappeared. He's like a slightly more talented Trot Nixon.

Abreu's never been a slugger though.. he normally hits 20-30 HRs a year. He's behind that pace this year and his slugging percentage has suffered as a result.. in fact his OBP is almost higher than his slugging, which is just weird.. It looks like he's in decline, and is moving from a hitters park to a more neutral one, and to a tougher league. Tack on another huge contract to the Yankees.. but it still improves them (though I'd rather have Sheffield next year than Abreu).

_Angelus_

Banned
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/index?&lpos=globalnav&lid=gn_MLB_MLB

Jason Stark says the Mets and Giants are working on a trade for Schmidt.

The story is for Insiders only though. I hear that Schmidt is eyeing Seatlle once he becomes a free agent later this year. He is definitely worth trading for,but not for Milledge if he's going to bolt after the season. Heck I don't want to give him up even if he were to stay. He's been hurt on and off this year,plus he's 34 years old now. Thats alot of wear and tear on his arm.

Depends what they have to give up for him. But I doubt the Giants would take quantity over quality in a package.

I'd throw Bannister,Diaz,and Owens at them. Nothing more though.

Thaedolus

I don't understand why the Giants would want to move Schmidt, as he's their only real ace and they're only a few games out of first. It makes about as much sense as the A's moving Zito...

Speaking of the A's, YOU'VE ONLY GOT 12 HOURS LEFT BEANE, DO SOMETHING!

_Angelus_

Banned
Yeah it does sound weird,I see the Giants as buyers,not sellers. Maybe Jason Stark is getting his info from the same source as Steve Phillips-his ass.

I'm abit cautious about Schmidt....don't wanna give too much to get him. He isn't exactly the fountain of youth plus he has gone on record saying he would love to pitch for Seattle. Sounds like another Mike Hampton situation. Plus they probably have a better education system for his children outside of New York(Mike Hampton inside joke.)

_Angelus_

Banned
Desperado said:
Schmidt is 34? Damn, I had no idea.

Went back and double checked. He's actually 33,sorry.

One has to wonder if this is a ploy to get Billy Bean shaken up abit? I dunno. Wouldn't pit it past Omar Minaya.

Johan van Benderschlotten said:
You are so GAY, you know that? And by gay I mean happy, because that's worse than homosexual.
Of course you know you're crapping on Motorhead's "King of Kings" a.k.a Triple H intro song . . . which is FAR from crappy. Quit your whining and take it like a man, Braves fans. As much crap Giles, Francoeur, and AJones were spouting about Mets fearing the Braves you think you'd take a cue from Adam LaRoche, tip your cap, and wish never to see Carlos Beltran again . . .

Oh yeah, Bow down to the Kings of the NL East.

The Frankman said:
Of course you know you're crapping on Motorhead's "King of Kings" a.k.a Triple H intro song . . . which is FAR from crappy. Quit your whining and take it like a man, Braves fans. As much crap Giles, Francoeur, and AJones were spouting about Mets fearing the Braves you think you'd take a cue from Adam LaRoche, tip your cap, and wish never to see Carlos Beltran again . . .

Oh yeah, Bow down to the Kings of the NL East.

he's a blue jays fan. and the forum agrees. motioned is carried. all those in favor say "AYE" all those opposed...

_Angelus_

Banned
I'll back Frankman dude,fellow Mets fan stick together. It can't be any cheesier than some of the *clap clap clap* Lima replies you guys were throwing out last month.:lol

_Angelus_

Banned
Bullshit......

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writers/jon_heyman/07/31/mets.trade.deadline/index.html

The New York Mets are engaged in serious talks for two superb starting pitchers who carry the potential to stamp them as a World Series favorite -- Giants right-hander Jason Schmidt and, in something of a shocker, the Astros' Roy Oswalt -- league sources told SI.com.

Mets general manager Omar Minaya was debating late Sunday night whether to surrender one of the biggest pieces of the Mets' future to acquire either Schmidt or Oswalt and greatly enhance his team's immediate chances. The asking price for both Schmidt and Oswalt is believed to revolve around multi-talented young outfielder Lastings Milledge.

Should Minaya land either Schmidt or Oswalt without surrendering anyone off the club's current major league roster, he'd be landing a major body blow to the rest of the National League, which is already a few laps behind the Mets.

"If the Mets get one of these guys, they're pretty much a World Series lock,'' one competing NL executive said.

Based on his history, you'd think Minaya's natural inclination is to go for the gusto and grab either Schmidt or Oswalt. And yet, he appears to be seriously weighing whether he wants to relinquish Milledge, the 21-year-old outfielder who's been touted as a "five-tool'' player. Contacted late last night at the Miami hotel where the Mets are staying, Minaya declined to comment on the scenarios said to be before him.

Milledge was the only key name known to be connected to the Schmidt talks, while Brian Bannister is believed likely to be used to enhance a deal for Oswalt, who unlike the free agent-eligible Schmidt can't test the market until after the 2007 season. Milledge is viewed as one of baseball's best prospects, a multi-talented player who could patrol center field for years to come -- if he played for someone else. The Mets already have NL MVP favorite Carlos Beltran in center.

If the packages need to be enhanced, the Mets could also dangle young right-hander Aaron Heilman. The Mets view Heilman as only a reliever because his repertoire is limited to two pitches (a stellar changeup and above average fastball) but several other teams see Heilman as a starter, and he's looked lost lately coming out of the bullpen.

Angelus said:
I'll back Frankman dude,fellow Mets fan stick together. It can't be any cheesier than some of the *clap clap clap* Lima replies you guys were throwing out last month.:lol

lima time was all mets fans. and you'd be alone in backing frankman. he's like last year's kuroyume. except he sticks to his team. do you want to risk your fanatico-political career like that?

Desperado

Angelus said:
Bullshit......

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writers/jon_heyman/07/31/mets.trade.deadline/index.html

The New York Mets are engaged in serious talks for two superb starting pitchers who carry the potential to stamp them as a World Series favorite -- Giants right-hander Jason Schmidt and, in something of a shocker, the Astros' Roy Oswalt -- league sources told SI.com.

Mets general manager Omar Minaya was debating late Sunday night whether to surrender one of the biggest pieces of the Mets' future to acquire either Schmidt or Oswalt and greatly enhance his team's immediate chances. The asking price for both Schmidt and Oswalt is believed to revolve around multi-talented young outfielder Lastings Milledge.

Should Minaya land either Schmidt or Oswalt without surrendering anyone off the club's current major league roster, he'd be landing a major body blow to the rest of the National League, which is already a few laps behind the Mets.

"If the Mets get one of these guys, they're pretty much a World Series lock,'' one competing NL executive said.

Based on his history, you'd think Minaya's natural inclination is to go for the gusto and grab either Schmidt or Oswalt. And yet, he appears to be seriously weighing whether he wants to relinquish Milledge, the 21-year-old outfielder who's been touted as a "five-tool'' player. Contacted late last night at the Miami hotel where the Mets are staying, Minaya declined to comment on the scenarios said to be before him.

Milledge was the only key name known to be connected to the Schmidt talks, while Brian Bannister is believed likely to be used to enhance a deal for Oswalt, who unlike the free agent-eligible Schmidt can't test the market until after the 2007 season. Milledge is viewed as one of baseball's best prospects, a multi-talented player who could patrol center field for years to come -- if he played for someone else. The Mets already have NL MVP favorite Carlos Beltran in center.

If the packages need to be enhanced, the Mets could also dangle young right-hander Aaron Heilman. The Mets view Heilman as only a reliever because his repertoire is limited to two pitches (a stellar changeup and above average fastball) but several other teams see Heilman as a starter, and he's looked lost lately coming out of the bullpen.

That's some of the dumbest shit I've ever read. Why the **** would the Astros want Millege? We've got 23 bajillion outfielders as it is.

Angelus said:
Bullshit......

why would the astros give up on their future like that? that's what they get for signing that pitcher whose name i wont mention. (you know, him) miguel and matrix would go nuts....

_Angelus_

Banned
evil solrac v3.0 said:
lima time was all mets fans. and you'd be alone in backing frankman. he's like last year's kuroyume. except he sticks to his team. do you want to risk your fanatico-political career like that?

Nah,some of you guys were doing the Lima thing yourselves as well man. Now sure - it was probably out of mocking Lima(duh) but it was being thrown out there alot when he was called up a few times this past year. Frankman may be more of the outspoken type of fan,but his intentions are good none the less. I get a kick out his antics. I could never go around talking that much smack,I'm stoo superstitious about jinxing the godamn team. Let him do the dirty work.:lol

Eminem

goddamit, Griese!
^^ Of course it was mocking. And it was one line of BAP BAP BAP, not a page of lyrics to a retarded song.

The Washington Post says the Angels, Astros, Twins and Marlins are currently involved in the bidding for Alfonso Soriano.
The Marlins? Florida is reportedly willing to part with young pitchers Yusmeiro Petit, Renyel Pinto and Jason Vargas to land Soriano. It would seem to be the height of foolishness on their part, but if it's a serious offer, they can't be completely discounted. The Dodgers and another team or two still could be involved as this one goes right down to the 4 p.m. EDT deadline.

The Marlins would then ship Soriano to someone like the Twins for hitting prospects.

_Angelus_

Banned
Yeah I know its completely dumb. But it sells papers,I'm sure were going to be reading this horseshit in the papers come morning. I don't see the Astros trading him at all. Its complete bullshit.:lol

Kuroyume

Banned
evil solrac v3.0 said:

You are so stupid. What was everyone doing during the Sox/ Yankees ALCS in '04? Every non Yankees fan was rooting for the Sox. I guess no one else sticks to their team since they jumped ship to root for the Sox. Why the hell would I chose to root for a team from Boston? I don't give a shit about either team but as a New Yorker I inherently have to hate Boston. Why is it so hard for knuckleheads like you to comprehend that? I've stuck with the Mets ever since I was a small boy. I stuck with them in '04 and '05 when I was in here and they failed to back up my trash talking. I have never disappeared from the thread after losing seasons like certain CUBS fans or a particular Nationals fan. I don't get this bullshit that I'm some flakey Mets fan. Meanwhile you punks were tossing your team and Arod under the bus when they got knocked out in the Division series last year. You guys are pathetic.

"We should wipe out this team and work on our farm system... BOO HOO HOO AROD SUCKS" and now it's "Why is everyone turning on AROD?! BOO HOO HOO"

I think Frankman is crazy but I would never toss a fellow Mets fan under the bus. Shove that up your butt.

rc213

I wouldnt mind having Soriano playing 2nd Base for the Dodgers as long as they can sign him long term and dont have to give up too much of course.

Kuroyume said:
You are so stupid. What was everyone doing during the Sox/ Yankees ALCS in '04? Every non Yankees fan was rooting for the Sox. I guess no one else sticks to their team since they jumped ship to root for the Sox. Why the hell would I chose to root for a team from Boston? I don't give a shit about either team but as a New Yorker I inherently have to hate Boston. Why is it so hard for knuckleheads like you to comprehend that? I've stuck with the Mets ever since I was a small boy. I stuck with them in '04 and '05 when I was in here and they failed to back up my trash talking. I have never disappeared from the thread after losing seasons like certain CUBS fans or a particular Nationals fan. I don't get this bullshit that I'm some flakey Mets fan. Meanwhile you punks were tossing your team and Arod under the bus when they got knocked out in the Division series last year. You guys are pathetic.

"We should wipe out this team and work on our farm system... BOO HOO HOO AROD SUCKS" and now it's "Why is everyone turning on AROD?! BOO HOO HOO"

I think Frankman is crazy but I would never toss a fellow Mets fan under the bus. Shove that up your butt.

*YAWWWWWN* you see what your avatar is doing? i suggest you do the same, bandwagon jumper.

_Angelus_

Banned
Btw-I just only started posting in this baseball forum late last year,so alot of things you guys are refering to I don't really know what went on here. I use to be a full time O.P.A. Ager till I got sick of the godamn super trolls there. Better to spend my time here at Gaf at the baseball forum.

R_GILL

I'm tanking for Kabanov!
So I saw Chacin had a rehab start today so I thought he would dominate it but what do I see:

Chacin 0.2ip 4h 4r 4er 1bb 1K 24.00era

Uh oh

Dez said:
Abreu's never been a slugger though.. he normally hits 20-30 HRs a year. He's behind that pace this year and his slugging percentage has suffered as a result.. in fact his OBP is almost higher than his slugging, which is just weird.. It looks like he's in decline, and is moving from a hitters park to a more neutral one, and to a tougher league. Tack on another huge contract to the Yankees.. but it still improves them (though I'd rather have Sheffield next year than Abreu).

CBP in Philly has played a lot more nuetral this year after the moved the fences back and raised them. It has been playing more on par with Turner Field this year.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Abreu is a left handed hitter in Yankee stadium. That's always, always good.

But his power isn't really what I like about him...bat him in the two slot instead of the three/four/five role and maybe his value changes. If he's constantly on base for when HG...Giambi...does his thing, then he would have tremendous value.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Y2Kevbug11 said:

But his power isn't really what I like about him...bat him in the two slot instead of the three/four/five role and maybe his value changes. If he's constantly on base for when HG...Giambi...does his thing, then he would have tremendous value.

Yeah, I like this trade--he gets on base, he's lefty, decent enough fielder and certainly an upgrade offensively. Then we have Cano coming back so our lineup will be pretty damn tough. But what I'm praying for is that Lidle somehow, someway finds some of that magic pixie dust that Small and Chacon got sprinkled with for the stretch run last year. Speaking of Small, last I heard he was doing well in the minors, so maybe he gets another audition soon. Chacon seems to be completely lost.

I also like the trade because it didn't involve any of the regulars and so won't affect chemistry as adversely as say, trading Proctor, which Mussina came out strongly against.

Mrbob

Wow the Tigers acquired Sean Casey today. And the Yankees have Abreu. The two teams ahead of the White Sox just bolstered their team. Kenny needs to make a move now.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
Y2Kevbug11 said:

What the, Jeter has the same OBP as Abreu. On top of that, Jeter is probably a higher % base stealer than Abreu at this point in his career (whenever Joe decides to steal). I'd say do it like this with everyone healthy:

Damon
Jeter
Abreu
Giambi
ARod
Sheff
Matsui
Posada
Cano

Cano a .300 hitter batting 9th. :lol I think Alex is more productive at the top of the lineup, so you could swap him for Abreu with no penalties. Maybe put Sheff in fifth with Abreu sixth.

Solid lineup from top to bottom. :lol

Qwerty710710

a child left behind
This is what I heard on the WFAN Mets would have to give up Milledge, Heilman and Bannister for Oswalt. I really think Mets would have to make that deal if it were to happen.

Meier

rc213 said:
I wouldnt mind having Soriano playing 2nd Base for the Dodgers as long as they can sign him long term and dont have to give up too much of course.

God I would die if we got Soriano and locked him up for the future. Guy is the real deal and we'd finally have a legitimate slugger. Kent has been great for us but he's at the end of his career and we need to prepare for the future. I think if Soriano is willing to sign long term, no price is too high for him.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
Qwerty710710 said:
This is what I heard on the WFAN Mets would have to give up Milledge, Heilman and Bannister for Oswalt. I really think Mets would have to make that deal if it were to happen.

I would make that trade in the blink of an eye. I think Oswalt is the best pitcher in the NL, though his numbers have suffered this year.

Qwerty710710

a child left behind
It would make sense for Oswalt going ot the Mets, he has a chance to get more wins since Mets offense is pretty good, they have good bullpen, and might have a good chance to go very far this season. I don't think Astros will go to the playoffs this year the have no offense, when they do the bullpen ends up given it back. Do the right thing Astros send Oswalt to the Mets pretty please. :D

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
If the Mets do get Oswalt, I don't see them not winning the World Series. The triple threat of Pedro, Glavine, and Roy-O is as good as Clemens, Pettite and Roy (when Glavine is not sucking of course). Only team that can compete is Detroit.

_Angelus_

Banned
Qwerty710710 said:

Wait-so this trade rumor is still going...it isn't bullshit by now?
I still think it won't happen but if I'm the Mets I make that deal. Oswalt is just 29 and one hell of an arm. That guy instantly takes us tothe World Serieswith a legit shot at winning it all. And he can settle in with the Mets and get comfortable since he isn't a free agent till after next season. Ofcourse I can see him and Floyd not being the best of friends though,no love lost there,heh.

And holy shit,Andrew Jones to Boston? If that happens thats one hell of a deal for Boston. That would be incredibly sick,and I'm sure Braves fans are praying it doesn't go down. CoCo Crisp and Loretta aren't enough for that type of bat-Braves would be getting owned if they did that deal.

Qwerty710710

a child left behind
Angelus said:
Wait-so this trade rumor is still going...it isn't bullshit by now?
I still think it won't happen but if I'm the Mets I make that deal. Oswalt is just 29 and one hell of an arm. That guy instantly takes us tothe World Serieswith a legit shot at winning it all. And he can settle in with the Mets and get comfortable since he isn't a free agent till after next season. Ofcourse I can see him and Floyd not being the best of friends though,no love lost there,heh.

And holy shit,Andrew Jones to Boston? If that happens thats one hell of a deal for Boston. That would be incredibly sick,and I'm sure Braves fans are praying it doesn't go down. CoCo Crisp and Loretta aren't enough for that type of bat-Braves would be getting owned if they did that deal.

I don't see why Astros might not want Lastings, he could be there featre CF for many years to come. But i think getting Oswalt will be huge, and Mets will impove there chances dramittacly of going to the WS.

Fifty

I'm sick of all these rumors....I just hope at least 2 big names get moved. Especially Soriano, he HAS to get traded. 2 hours and change, come on GM's.

_Angelus_

Banned
July 31, 2006, 10:46AM
Wagner to provide scouting report as Mets eye Oswalt
Slumping Astros closer Lidge also at center of trade speculation

By JOSE DE JESUS ORTIZ
Copyright 2006 Houston Chronicle
Former Astros closer Billy Wagner is ready to give Mets general manager Omar Minaya scouting reports as the National League East leaders pursue a trade for Roy Oswalt. Wagner also has assured Minaya that he could help straighten out slumping closer Brad Lidge.

“I told Omar, just put (Lidge) out there with me,” Wagner, the Mets' closer, said via phone Monday morning. “I’ll get him straightened out.”

The Astros have until 3 p.m. today to make a trade without having to put a player through waivers. As of 10:30 a.m., Astros general manager Tim Purpura had not completely given up hope of acquiring Miguel Tejada from the Baltimore Orioles or Alfonso Soriano from the Washington Nationals. He didn’t seem optimistic, though.

“Regarding Tejada and Soriano while they are still possible, I would not say they’re likely just based on where things stand this minute,” he said. “Things can change quick, but they haven’t.”

It’s unclear whether Oswalt remains on the market, but the Astros aren’t going to give him away either. A top club official in the NL East who is privy to the Astro and Mets' talks assures the Chronicle "there's nothing there" on the Oswalt-to-the-Mets rumors.

There’s no doubt the Astros want to get rid of Lidge as soon as possible. The Mets have the best record in the National League, and they’d love to have Oswalt, the only pitcher in the majors to have won 20 games in each of the previous two seasons.

Oswalt also is a proven pitcher in the clutch, going 2-0 while allowing only two runs over 14 innings against the St. Louis Cardinals while earning the Most Valuable Player in the 2005 National League Championship Series. “What would it mean if we got Roy Oswalt?” Wagner said. “It would be called championship. Put it on the board. I don’t even think Omar would have to ask me about Roy. If he asked me about Roy, I’d tell him, ‘He’s a gamer, goes out there, takes the ball and is ready to play to win.’ That’s what I’d tell him. It’s all about pitching. It’s all about pitching.”

Still sounds like wishful thinking but I like how Wagner is doing his part to get it done.:lol

Dr. Strangelove

I'M COOCOO FOR COCO CRISP!
This ESPN coverage is horrendous. Sutcliffe is saying that the Red Sox need to trade for Andruw Jones or Alfonso Soriano in order to make the playoffs. :lol

Qwerty710710 said:
This is what I heard on the WFAN Mets would have to give up Milledge, Heilman and Bannister for Oswalt. I really think Mets would have to develop a brain tumor to make that deal happen.
fixed.

I give up Edge only for Willis or Zito (if we sign him). Hell no for Oswalt, and we're supposed to give Bannister too?

WORF.jpg

"hahahahhaahaha . . . Impossible."

Y2Kev

Wellington said:
What the, Jeter has the same OBP as Abreu. On top of that, Jeter is probably a higher % base stealer than Abreu at this point in his career (whenever Joe decides to steal). I'd say do it like this with everyone healthy:

Damon
Jeter
Abreu
Giambi
ARod
Sheff
Matsui
Posada
Cano

Cano a .300 hitter batting 9th. :lol I think Alex is more productive at the top of the lineup, so you could swap him for Abreu with no penalties. Maybe put Sheff in fifth with Abreu sixth.

Solid lineup from top to bottom. :lol

To be honest with you, I completely forgot we have Damon. Wow.

Yeah, you are right.

Y2Kev

Just read that ASTROS OWNER DEMANDING LIDGE BE TRADED?

WTF?

CASHMAN SWOOP IN NOW. SCOTT PROCTOR FOR BRAD LIDGE STRAIGHT UP :lol

And now to develop a time machine...

_Angelus_

Banned
Qwerty710710 said:
I don't see why Astros might not want Lastings, he could be there featre CF for many years to come. But i think getting Oswalt will be huge, and Mets will impove there chances dramittacly of going to the WS.

I think they very much want him-Milledge could be their Beltron Lite so to speak,less power ofcourse but as he gets older his power will blossom. The thing is if they unload Oswalt -oh man,where does their pitching go after that,its too drastic a move. Clemens isn't going to be around forever either. Heilman I'm sure they want but he isn't exactly a sure thing either. And adding Bannister,a soft tosser makes the trade look like a grab bag now. After Milledge they're decent guys to have,but the immediate effects of giving up Oswalt would give them some bad PR.

Wow-Frankman wouldn't do this deal? Milledge is gonna be great but having a still young stud like Oswalt on your staf for years to come plus giving us the chance to win it all this year is too much to pass up. Heilman is gonna bolt to free agency in a few more years since I doubt the Mets will ever give him a legit starting job. Bannister is a work in progress - he got into alot of jams earlier this year putting all those guys on base,he has no real fastball to go with his his offspeed stuff,he is too predictable. But ofcourse he knows how to get out of jams,he is either that smart or had some incredible luck getting out of those wild innnings.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom