• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official MLB Thread - 2006 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

_Angelus_

Banned
siamesedreamer said:
Its not up for debate........ESPN has three mistakes that I know of:

Renteria - ESPN says $10 million when in reality its $6 million (Boston sent $12 million with Renteria in the deal)

Smoltz - he restructured so that his option was picked up next year and his salary is $8 million (not $11 million)

Hampton - this one is complicated and involves two other teams paying part of his salary.....all that matters though is that when he was acquired the Braves were on the hook for only $43 million of his contract. They did a deal with him (that was pretty publicized) and divided that by the 6 years remaining on the contract and paid him $8 million per year.

So, that's an extra ~$13 million that ESPN figures in without the Braves actually being on the hook for it. That means the Braves are actually around ~$79 million.

ESPN has the total values of the contracts figured as how they looked on the day they were signed. They don't take into account any other wrangling that have been done since. Like I said, one of the other independant sites comes out with a true tally shortly after the trade deadline.

one word: Selig

He's been great for the game in some respects, but corporate ownership has blossomed under his reign and IMO its a horrible stain on the game.

Not only is Time Warner directing the cost cutting measures on the Braves, but the are also subsidizing the Mets new TV network. Its a gross conflict of interest in which Selig is directly involved.

The Nationals had nine different ownership groups vetted for four years before Selig finally decided on the right one. But, at the same time, he's going to allow Time Warner to sell the Braves to a Denver based company called Liberty Media in a stock swap with Time Warner - all the while Arthur Blank has been on his knees begging to buy the Braves for the past six months. Its absolutely disgusting and there's not a damn thing any Braves fan can do about it. Just thank your lucky stars the Wilpons still own the Mets.

I know that Glavine restructured his deal for an option that is potentialy loaded with alot of extra bonuses for next year(should he decide to stick around) so yeah I see what you mean by this. Youre gonna have ot supply me with a link to the sites that have the real salary figures sometime because I thought for sure the Yanks were around 220 million anyways but I never really cared enough to look into that was fact or fiction.

I knew about Hampton's salary being payed by one other team but still he's been a bust(this year anyways)...thats what my comment on him was originally about. How much of that is covered through an insurance policy though? Did they ever use that money to improve other areas of the team?

Hampton-Ofcourse at the time it looked like a good deal when they got him for a fraction of what the Rockies were paying for him so it was good intentions,it just hasn't payed off for them too well this year is all.

Dunno much about selig to be honest. But its not all on him either. How many times have we heard about teams dipping into that revenue sharing money and not investing it into their teams-the Royals and Marlins are proof that its more than just selig being the problem. But for the most part youre right about big money running the sport more than fair practices,its like that with everything nowdays. A salary cap would solve the problem alot,but then you also may be looking at parody if you go that route-though the N.L. seems to be mimicking that term pretty well this year. Atleast its an exciting wild card though.

Qwerty710710

a child left behind
I wonder what would it take Jason Scmidit to go to the Mets since Giants are very incosistant team. There probably also not making the playoffs.

_Angelus_

Banned
Qwerty710710 said:
I wonder what would it take Jason Scmidit to go to the Mets since Giants are very incosistant team. There probably also not making the playoffs.

I think he may be a free agent after the season. If so let's hope scot Boras comes no where near him. I guess it depends on whether or not Bonds returns. If they let him walk then Shmidt is a shoe in to return,Giants won't let him get away-they'd probably use that Bonds money to lock him up.

I think the only way we'd get a great pitcher is if we seriously mortage the future and win all out now. Don't see any other way. I'd rather have more chances to win with upcming players the next few years than to go for broke. We never do well when we go that route.

Dr. Strangelove

I'M COOCOO FOR COCO CRISP!
Wellington said:
Look at the bright side Strangelove, Schilling doesn't look as bad as Johnson did yesterday. :lol :(

That's true. He does have some strikeouts.

And there goes another bomb. I didn't know Beckett was starting tonight.

Oh God and now Steve Phillips is on spouting his nonsense. GAH

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Noooooooooo steve nooo stop talking

The Red Sox do not need to respond to a trade made by the Yankees....this is the reactionary bullshit that made you deal Scott Kazmir....

WHY IS HE HIRED AND WHY IS HE NOT DEAD

_Angelus_

Banned
Don't you like how ESPN treats Phillips like he's this baseball god of knowledge?:lol

Because if Steve Phillips say so these trades will happen. They fired the wrong guy from ESPN brother.

_Angelus_

Banned
Y2Kevbug11 said:
Noooooooooo steve nooo stop talking

The Red Sox do not need to respond to a trade made by the Yankees....this is the reactionary bullshit that made you deal Scott Kazmir....

WHY IS HE HIRED AND WHY IS HE NOT DEAD

Actually I think it was Dan Duquette who ****ed the Mets by trading Kazmir away,but still your point is well taken. Phillips gave the Mets Moo Vaughn,Roger Cedeno,and a washed up Roberto Alomar.

You can probably also add sexual harrassment to his resume,he was accussed of this when he was Mets GM,but it was never proven. He's got class written all over him.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Dr. Strangelove said:
So I guess we'll need to go trade for some dud like Pat Burrell now... right Steve Phillips?

[monotone]the red sox need to make up for the huge trot nixon loss trot nixon is a huge part of this red sox team he helps encourage the younger players he warms the bench for david ortiz against left handers and he has nice hair i recommend that the red sox look at someone like pat burrell he isnt really great in the field and his avg is a little low but he knows how to w in and he has grit and a killer instinct[/monotone]

I'm expecting this exact speech in 20 minutes.

Dr. Strangelove

:lol

Goddamn they need to fire Steve Phillips.

Coco Crisp is really, really bad. This is not the guy we traded Marte to get.

PAPI IS GOD

MOTHER****IN WILY MO

DOMINICAN TRIFECTA OF DOOM

Dr. Strangelove

We need to trade Wily Mo for Pat Burrell! /stevephillips

:lol :lol Orel's analogy about fish and hooks was sooo bad.

**** YOU ASSHOLE UMP

YOU MADE LOWELL SHOW EMOTION WITH YOUR SHITTYNESS

Dr. Strangelove

Tamanon said:
It's like Damon never left.

Yeah, except for the fact that Damon can actually hit. :(

Well, that should just about do it. Tavarez and Van Buren. AWESOME job, Tito.

:lol Coco ROLLED it to the cutoff man.

Triumph

Banned
The Frankman said:
"Behind us lay Atlanta, smouldering and in ruins, the black smoke rising high in air, and hanging like a pall over the ruined city."
- William Tecumseh Sherman

"Our goal coming in was to end their season, to show them we're the better team, bury them." - Paul LoDuca,

New_york_mets_logo175.jpg

Behold the Mets, the team of Teams . . .
On your knees dog! . . . All hail!

Bow down to the, bow down to the King!!!

The Mets grinned red as they walked from the blaze,
Where the Braves lost both the division and face,
Through the halls and the corridors stinging in blood,
He tasted his grin and it tasted good.
Beltran took their head . . . Left them broken and dead . . .

The Mets left none living, none able to tell,
The Mets took their heads and then sent them to hell,
The contenders' screams echoed in the place of their death,
Ripped open they died, with their final breath . . .
They hailed the Team, the Team of Teams!!!

Into the majors, their will be done.
Now feel your fear, there can be only one.

Bow down, bow down, bow down to the ...
Bow down, bow down, bow down, bow down to the ...
Bow down, bow down to the...
Bow down to the, bow down to the King.
Bow down to the ...
Bow down, bow down, bow down.

The Mets are here, now feel your fear!
The King of Kings!!!

All hail, all hail The King!!!
On your knees, on your knees for the King!!!

The King of Teams, there is only one . . .
You are so GAY, you know that? And by gay I mean happy, because that's worse than homosexual.

Johan van Benderschlotten said:
You are so GAY, you know that? And by gay I mean happy, because that's worse than homosexual.
You know it's bad when I agree with you in this thread Triumph. I'm ****ing embarassed to be associated with him.

Eminem

goddamit, Griese!
The Astros are out of the Miguel Tejada sweepstakes.

"It's over," an Astros official told FOXSports.com Sunday night. "We told them we're not dealing with them anymore."
The Astros' frustration apparently stemmed from their belief that they had a Tejada blockbuster in place Friday night, only to have that deal and later proposals quashed by Orioles owner Peter Angelos.

But there may have been another issue.

The Astros, according to a major-league official with knowledge of the discussions, feared that the Orioles would flip their most prized acquisition for Tejada — Astros right-hander Roy Oswalt — to Houston's cross-state rival, the Texas Rangers.

The Orioles, according to the official, intended to trade Oswalt to the Rangers for a package of three players — third baseman Hank Blalock, Triple-A shortstop Joaquin Arias and one of the Rangers' top pitching prospects.

They also would have ended up with two other players from the Astros — third baseman Morgan Ensberg and shortstop Adam Everett — effectively making the deal a 5-for-1 for Tejada.

Presumably, the Orioles then would have spun one of the third basemen, Blalock or Ensberg, or shifted one of them to first, while moving their current third baseman, Melvin Mora, to the outfield.

For the Astros, losing Oswalt to the Rangers would have been a public-relations nightmare, evoking memories of when Nolan Ryan went from Houston to Texas. The Astros had similar concerns when Roger Clemens was courted by the Rangers as a free agent last spring.

The Orioles still have a chance to make a similar deal with the Rangers by substituting Tejada for Oswalt, the official says. But barring an unexpected twist, that might be their only chance to complete a Tejada blockbuster.

The Angels, who offered the Orioles a package of right-hander Ervin Santana and Triple-A shortstop Erick Aybar for Tejada, also have pulled out of the Tejada discussions, the official says.

The Dodgers are not actively pursuing Tejada, other sources say

Damn, the Orioles coulda made out getting Oswalt.

Miguel

Uh...

If purpura is offering Roy Oswalt...I'm going to kill the fat JigglyPuff looking mother****er. WHAT THE **** SERIOUSLY

Snah

Banned
Oswalt was never going to be traded.

They were just testing the trade waters.

The Orioles are extremely steep with their asking price.

So what would you guys say is the best catch you've ever seen? I think for me it will probably always be Devon White's awesome catch which should have been a triple play versus the Braves in Game 3 of the 1992 World Series.

Shit...this sounds bad-ass:

Even now, nearly 50 years after The Catch, Willie Mays insists he never considered his play on Vic Wertz to be "great." Instead, it was another catch in September of his rookie season (1951) that Mays considers his greatest play ever.

And Vin Scully, who was there for that one, too, will testify he's right.

"The Giants were playing the Dodgers at Ebbetts Field," Scully remembers. "The Giants were ahead by one run. Two outs. Bottom of the ninth. Bases loaded. And Bobby Morgan, the young third baseman for the Dodgers, hit a high line drive to the gap in left-center field.

"Your first thought was that it was an extra-base hit, and the Dodgers were going to win it. But Mays went racing to the warning track, which was made of gravel in those days, and made a diving, full-extension catch as the ball was sinking.

"Then, after the catch, he bounced on his chest, right into the base of the concrete wall, and knocked himself unconscious. He rolled over on his chest, then laid there on the gravel. So Henry Thompson, who was playing left, came over and held the glove up with the ball inside. And only then did they signal Morgan was out.

"And that," Scully says, "was the greatest single play I have ever seen."

half a game, half a game. i knew playing too much everquest2 would mess up schilling.
the good: yanks half a game out, half a game up.
the bad: we traded for more flotsam. i dont like this trade, i hope it works but i dont like it.

Dr. Strangelove

The main thing I wonder about with this trade is how Sheffield will deal with the realization that his time is up in New York. Abreu is going to be taking his position, so when Sheffield returns this year he'll be stuck in a DH role. Gotta wonder how an ass like Sheffroid will handle his job being given to someone else. This will also weaken the Yankee defense by forcing HGH to play the field.

Still, this move certainly improves their offense. Abreu appears to be in a decline, but he's still better than Melky and Bernie at this point. As for Lidle, he'll probably be torched in the AL East.

it's a dumb moce all around. we werent exactly struggling to score runs. middle relief is our problem and the fourth/fifth starter. man, so i guess ponson and one outfielder are gone then. crosby? ponson? i guess...

Joe

the pitching available is slim to none. might as well get another slugger and try to out score other teams because it doesnt look like the yankees pitching will be getting any better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom