• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official MLB Thread - 2006 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eminem

goddamit, Griese!
ForzaItalia said:
Why did Howard get into the majors so late? 60 looks like a lock for him now.

Well his minor league numbers never really jumped out at anyone, and Philly had Thome at first, so he never got a shot until Thome got injured. Then they saw he could play, hence the trade of Thome.

Eminem said:
Well his minor league numbers never really jumped out at anyone, and Philly had Thome at first, so he never got a shot until Thome got injured. Then they saw he could play, hence the trade of Thome.

Ahhhh, thanks. I figured it also might have been because he struck out a lot.

Miguel said:
*Pujols hits HR*
Howard: Anything you can do I can do better.
*Howard hits HR*
Pujols: I can do ehytheeng betta tha' you.
*Pujols hits HR*
Howard: No you can't.
*Howard hits HR*
Pujols: Yes ay can.
*Pujols hits HR*
Howard: No you can't.
*Howard hits HR*
Pujols: Yes ay can.
*Pujols hits HR*
13323.18CARDINALS-METS-BASEBALL.sff.jpg
082206delgadolg.jpg

"We gotta get back een on dis."

Man, I thought he was around 23. :lol

You would have heard about Howard a long time ago if the Phils hadn't messed up his timetable by stupidly signing Thome.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.

Eminem

goddamit, Griese!
siamesedreamer said:
You would have heard about Howard a long time ago if the Phils hadn't messed up his timetable by stupidly signing Thome.

To be fair, they really had no reason to think he would amount to anything like this based on his minor league numbers.

In the minors he had home run numbers of 6, 19, 23, and then finally 37. The year with 37 is when they called him up for the first time. He was back in the minors at the start of the next year, then he got the call-up with Thome's injury.
So realistically he only lost one year of playing time.

Eminem

goddamit, Griese!
MILWAUKEE -- It's still not known who will start Friday when the Dodgers play the Mets at Shea Stadium on Friday night, but it won't be Chad Billingsley.

Billingsley will miss his second consecutive start with a strained oblique muscle.

"It will be next week before he's able to pitch," manager Grady Little said.

The team will choose between Aaron Sele, Hong-Chih Kuo and Eric Stults, recalled Monday from Triple-A Las Vegas, to start the game against the team with the best record in the National League, Little said.

"We're going to go with whomever we feel matches up best against the Mets," Little said. "We know the stuff that they feature and we know the hitters that the Mets have. It will be an educated guess after that."

Little said he had no hesitation in giving either Stults or Kuo their first Major League start in the nation's media capital.

"We've done our share of that throughout the season this year, and more cases than not it's worked out pretty good," Little said. "We've also had several situations this year where the opposing teams have brought totally strange pitchers in to face us and they've pitched well."

Little said pitchers making their first starts often have an advantage.

"As long as the kid is throwing strikes, we've got a chance because he's not going to be very familiar to the opposing hitters," he said.

Enjoy Sele and Hendrickson starting the rest of the season :lol

Miguel

:|

Non-save situation...ruh oh.

Edit: Oh ****...

Howard vs Psyduck :lol

This is gonna land farther than Pujols' HR.

Edit 2: They brought in Qualls...I'd rather take my chances with Lidge and see sparks fly.

Miguel

Oh my god we're about to get beat by Matt Smith...

...who is Matt Smith?

Edit: Offensive Substitution: Pinch hitter Jose Hernandez replaces Matt Smith.

Mashing

Not on this count. That's risky to try on the road too. I don't see Garner calling for the squeeze.

0-2 now, definately not.

Neverhit strikes again :(

Miguel

Mashing said:
Not on this count. That's risky to try on the road too. I don't see Garner calling for the squeeze.

0-2 now, definately not.

Neverhit strikes again :(

Palmeiro time...(why not Luke Scott?)

Mashing

My thoughts too. I guess Garner wants someone who doesn't strike out a lot (but Palmerio is only batting .219). Not a good move IMO.

Ugh.

Howard due up 4th. Hopefully we get a 1-2-3 inning.

Mashing

Bruke caught a sinking looper to left field off of Rollin's bat that was about a foot from landing in. He made a fantastic slide catch to rob him of a double and possibly a triple.

Mashing

About 5-6 years ago our offense was ****ing stout. We had a top five offense. I saw a game from a playoff series we played against the braves on Espn classic (don't remember what year) but I was amazed of how good hitters were on that team.

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
Marlins on 1 1/2 back from WC, and finally broke .500! The Marlins can sweep the DBs they way they are playing as of late. That is all they have to try and do, then focus on the 4 games against Philly later this week. A series they must win. And they will... BELIEVE!

Mashing

I think the Marlins are this years Astros (miraculous wild card berth). They have done it the same way the Stros did the last two years. Pitching. Their offense is about 10x betters than ours. Which is pretty pathethic considering their payroll is what? 40 million? If that much.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.

Link

The Autumn Wind
Core407 said:
I can't wait until the Braves rip the Mets apart tonight.
Hey, not like it matters, right? I'll be kicking back with a beer to watch the game on TBS. If we win, our magic number goes to 10. If we lose, it just pushes our clinching of the division back one day. We've been letting the bench play a lot lately, too.

Though I do understand that you want these empty victories just to feel better about your horrible season and all.

Core407

Banned
Link said:
Hey, not like it matters, right? I'll be kicking back with a beer to watch the game on TBS. If we win, our magic number goes to 10. If we lose, it just pushes our clinching of the division back one day. We've been letting the bench play a lot lately, too.

Though I do understand that you want these empty victories just to feel better about your horrible season and all.

No, I want the victories so the Braves can make their push for the wildcard. Right now I think they're 4 or 5 games out, which isn't too bad. Throw in the fact that a lot of the teams in the chase just aren't that great and you've got some drama in the making. :D

I'm suprised you're not rooting for the Braves. I'd figure most Mets fans would want to see 'em make it and then watch the Mets rip them a new one in the playoffs. :lol

All the Braves really need to do is to go on a 5+ game winning streak and they'll be #1 or #2 in the WC.

Link

The Autumn Wind
Core407 said:
I'm suprised you're not rooting for the Braves. I'd figure most Mets fans would want to see 'em make it and then watch the Mets rip them a new one in the playoffs. :lol
Nah, see, they're in our division, which means they'd have to make it past the first round to play us, and we all know the chances of that happening.

All the Braves really need to do is to go on a 5+ game winning streak and they'll be #1 or #2 in the WC.
Sure, if all the teams above them lose all their games in the meantime.

(I'm really just twisting the knife at this point.)

Core407

Banned
Link said:
Nah, see, they're in our division, which means they'd have to make it past the first round to play us, and we all know the chances of that happening.

Sure, if all the teams above them lose all their games in the meantime.

(I'm really just twisting the knife at this point.)

Twisting the knife? I'm not even angry. :lol I'll admit the Braves team is garbage this year, but it's all been pitching related, really.

Edit: It's pretty clear that most of you Mets fans are bitter.

Core407

Banned
Link said:
What? How do you figure I'm bitter? I think you misunderstood the term.

It's sort of like the whole New York/Boston thing. Boston manages to dominate the Yankees one year and all of a sudden these Boston fans have this chip on their shoulder. Next year comes and shit goes back to the way it was. Am I saying the Mets will be garbage next year? No, but there's nothing telling me they'll be top of the pops again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom