• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Okami Wii Thread of IGN Watermarks

Tenbatsu

DKo5 said:
My Wii has never touched anything but proper component cables. As I said, all my other games look fine and as expected - but this is just downright upsettingly bad. I didn't go in expecting the most visually stunning game, but this looks really bad. If it just wasn't so frickin' blurry it would look fine!
Did you accidently set the in game option to output to normal TV rather than HD TV?

Wonderdog

Dear god, the madness continues. Just flipping through the latest issue of Geek and lo and behold, it's got a full-page ad for Okami on the Wii. Complete with the IGN watermark. Sigh.

Akai

Kudos to Capcom for making up for the two blemishes on the cover...

(Not that the game isn't already a gem, but right now it's like wrapping a family heirloom in soggy toilet paper...)

YagizY

Ordered the original cover. The problem with the two new covers is that they have no Wii symbol nor does it indicate the games name on the spine. It would just look akward and cheap sitting on the shelf.

Linkup

YagizY said:
Ordered the original cover. The problem with the two new covers is that they have no Wii symbol nor does it indicate the games name on the spine. It would just look akward and cheap sitting on the shelf.

Yeah, that's the problem with those the two new covers. I don't really mind the watermark, it's the 9.5 score (from Play no less) that is ugly and shouldn't be on the boxart.

Anyway got the game yesterday and it's awesome so far. Text is so slow though, really annoying and makes me want to just skip all the storytelling etc.

Anony

damnnn, nice
i'm going to order the pink one
but i want all three because i'm greedy

there's no verification to this, what if i order the other 2 with my friend's address

Innotech

Banned
DKo5 said:
Whoa, this game looks super blurry for me. I was all hyped to finally get to play Okami but I'm totally distracted by the horrible visuals. Anything I can do besides trying either the LCD or standard "modes"? Is it not booting into 480p or something? For reference Brawl, Galaxy, and Zach + Wiki look fantastic on my setup.
its...supposed to be blurry. Its Okami.

Ecto311 said:
From Kotaku: Capcom Fix Okami's Cover, And Then Some

http://kotaku.com/383408/capcom-fix-okamis-cover-and-then-some

Looks like you can order a new cover and don't have to return the old one.
WHOA!

FUCKING BRAVO CAPCOM! ...BRAVO!

ended up picking this one! :D

Okamicover3.jpg

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
There's no reason to hold onto any of the treasure items like vases, zodiac bears, glass beads, etc, is there? Just sell them to a vendor?

I ordered the green one but I want all of them. I think I will order the pink one next under a friend's name and addy (I bought 2 copies so I deserve 2).

Meesh

Brandon F said:
Not sure what you mean by this. Do you just want to be able to slice in any given direction? Or are you inferring that the game should push the paint mechanic in ways not originally intended 2 years ago when it first released? Give a realistic example of what you are trying to say here. "Freedom to interact differently with certain elements" is a pretty vague and broad.

What I'm saying in essence is, we're getting a fantastic port, a game I'm truly engaged in. But I should have been more descriptive, when I said "Freedom to interact differently with certain elements" I meant outside of the original release. Yes, different paint mechanics from the PS version...maybe I was hoping for too much?

Okami has a tremendous reputation, porting to the Wii without a more 1:1 control when dispatching bad guys and obstacles feels...weak, maybe contrary to how solid the original game was? I hate to use the term, "lame offering" here, but that's what comes to mind. The PS version was treasured by those who played it because of it's art style, story, and game play...and when ported to Wii...well it feels like less than it should or could be. A great game shouldn't end up being just another port, should it...I was holding out for drop kick me Jesus that's freaking amazing.

Sonic is a pretty awful example to get your point across. My point is that if the game gave you ten different stroking methods to chew down a boulder, the process of teaching those maneuvers is inefficient considering how unnecessary 9 of those will be to the individual players.

Sonic was an awful choice, but like Okami, I had some pretty high hopes. I see what you're saying here, but instead of giving you assorted methods to learn to destroy an object, couldn't we just intuitively strike it down however we want. In a perfect boulder world, maybe the boulder has 10 weak points, and it's up to the player to find those by slashing a few times to uncover them...all without the negative repetition of trying to hit that one weak spot, getting it just right.

I'll agree that the strokes can often be missed by the game(I complained about it back earlier in this thread), but after 15 hours and a million crushed rocks, you'll be conditioned to the motion and the point of impact quite well. It was really no different on the PS2 version, lots of missed strikes I recall as well.

Also keep in mind that vertical strikes and various other motions are reserved for different paint effects later on, so keeping it simple and not confusing the multitude of simple motions is very clearly a design choice.

I have to agree with you there, a few more hours in and the striking motions were more successful, obviosly the game was a hell of a lot more fun at that point too...maybe I jumped the gun a little on this a tad early...hmmm truce? :D

I beg the Okami devotees for forgiveness:D

emilio

Ouch, I just imported it and they won't be shipping the new artwork overseas. Guess I'm stuck with that watermark.

Foxix Von

Hmm... I can't decide to either go pink or green =/ Green is my favorite color but it looks like most of the front art is gonna be wrapped around the spine

Edit: totally went with green.

That shit is hawt.

PolyGone

Banned
ugh, can they do nothing right? The new covers don't have the title printed on the spine. Its going to look awful in my stack of games.

fresquito

So I finally got to try the game. So far, so good. I'm really impressed with the art in this game. I'm yet to play more, but I'm quite happy with what I've seen so far.

The beginning is very slow and kinda boring. I dig the mythological references, but some more gameplay would've been fine.

However, the pencil controls aren't as agile as I'd wish them to be. I'll get used to them, but so far it's a bit dificult to even trace a line. Attacking doesn't feel totally right either. I supose I'll get used to it in no time, but my early impressions tell me they could be better.

If anyone's interested, I wrote a first impressions in my spanish blog: http://www.pulsastart.es/2008/04/okami-primeras-impresiones/

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
PolyGone said:
ugh, can they do nothing right? The new covers don't have the title printed on the spine. Its going to look awful in my stack of games.

Uh, I'm sure that the replacement artwork will be incorporated into a conventional box. ESRB regs I think prohibit cover art that doesn't display the rating.

CTLance

Oooooh, nice. *orders*
...wait. Where do I put my country? Caapcooooooom!!!111

Anyway. Gonna ask my shop if they can proxy for me. I want those covers. Looks shit-hot. :D

Edit: Props for Capcom, though. Fucking up is one thing, but manning up to it is another. Very nice.

Ricker

Ok guys,should i stop now and get the PS2 version or is it possible to play with a regular controller,before i throw the freakin Wii remote in the wall....i cant do the power slash in the first village when you have to help Sasuno train so he can smash the boulder later on i guess... it doesnt help the frustration when you have to sit through the 10 seconds of the same text over and over when you miss before trying one more time.

I love everything else about this game so far but i cant progress now because of this.

CTLance said:
Edit: Props for Capcom, though. Fucking up is one thing, but manning up to it is another. Very nice.

Kind of like the entire story with Okami in the first place. They fucked up marketing the game on the PS2, so they are going for double on the Wii with a better strategy now.

and the really colorful cover should have been the default one.

EDarkness

Ricker said:
Ok guys,should i stop now and get the PS2 version or is it possible to play with a regular controller,before i throw the freakin Wii remote in the wall....i cant do the power slash in the first village when you have to help Sasuno train so he can smash the boulder later on i guess... it doesnt help the frustration when you have to sit through the 10 seconds of the same text over and over when you miss before trying one more time.

I love everything else about this game so far but i cant progress now because of this.

It isn't much better on the PS2 version. There are just times when the game doesn't register the hit for some reason. What I'd recommend is just cutting grass and everything you can think of to practice. There's a definite feel to it and now I'm almost a natural with the remote. My roommate is also playing the game and was having the same problem, but after a bit of time just cutting things, he's gotten the hang of it.

jarrod

Banned
Never had a problem with the slash or simpler motions myself, it's symbol recognition that gets me. Half the time I don't know if I'll get wind, sun, moon or bloom. :lol

Bomb works like every time though for some reason. :/

So I put in a customer service E-mail to Capcom suggesting they at least release a patch (don't hold my breath on Wii, I know) for the combat controls - you know, the way you just freeze after the first combo hit because the game doesn't register random whacking the way Twilight Princess does. Anybody who paid up for the game a second time should do the same and maybe we'll get results.

Ricker said:

It has to be horizontal, all the time. It might help if you twist your wrist a little. The line has to be long enough to encompass the whole thing, and drawn within half a second. If you're too slow, it doesn't work.

So I put in a customer service E-mail to Capcom suggesting they at least release a patch (don't hold my breath on Wii, I know) for the combat controls - you know, the way you just freeze after the first combo hit because the game doesn't register random whacking the way Twilight Princess does. Anybody who paid up for the game a second time should do the same and maybe we'll get results.

Yeah, the reflector combat is pretty much ruined. Hopefully someone is listening. LISTENING! RIGHT!?!

EDarkness said:
It isn't much better on the PS2 version. There are just times when the game doesn't register the hit for some reason. What I'd recommend is just cutting grass and everything you can think of to practice. There's a definite feel to it and now I'm almost a natural with the remote. My roommate is also playing the game and was having the same problem, but after a bit of time just cutting things, he's gotten the hang of it.

this

...seriously...I actually took to the brush controls fairly quickly with the wiimote

Akai

Death_Born said:
Yeah, the reflector combat is pretty much ruined. Hopefully someone is listening. LISTENING! RIGHT!?!

Not on my copy...I use the final reflector as my primary and the final glaive as my secondary... =)

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Glaive gets really awkward for me still. Can't really figure out how to get the game to recognize a charge vs. slash vs. Ammy sitting there being retarded and doing nothing. Occasionally it all works accordingly, but most often then not I am struggling to find the magical re-center point to attempt the 'point remote up' charge move.

So I just spam rosary beads like a waggling buffoon.

Top Bottom