• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Okami Wii Thread of IGN Watermarks

jarrod

Banned
Alcibiades said:
So why did Capcom include Gamecube controller options for RE4 but not for this?

Were they being lazy or was there some technical limitation?

This one issue is really holding me back from getting this game (I don't have a PS2). I don't know which control method I'd prefer, but what's wrong with having multiple control options?
They wanted it to be even more like Zelda. :p

Xisiqomelir

Finished yesterday at 34 hrs, skipping a whole bunch of stuff. Watching the credits on Youtube was kind of weird, but oh well.

I really love this game. I wish I'd played it on release so I could have had less hate towards last-gen. Clover is 2/2 so far with me (yay Godhand). I'm going to play Viewtiful Joe one of these days and really share GAF's pain :lol

TunaLover

Xisiqomelir said:
Finished yesterday at 34 hrs, skipping a whole bunch of stuff. Watching the credits on Youtube was kind of weird, but oh well.

I really love this game. I wish I'd played it on release so I could have had less hate towards last-gen. Clover is 2/2 so far with me (yay Godhand). I'm going to play Viewtiful Joe one of these days and really share GAF's pain :lol

I played VJ first, and I think it would be a little hard to play this again after Okami =/. Two great games btw.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Finished it tonight. Clocked at just under 40 hours. Got "cherry blossoms" (5 stars?) on pretty much every rank at the end.

Most definitely in my Top 20 favorite games of all time.

Let me just say outright that I am not one of those people that would have preferred the game be shorter.

stewacide

Just finished at 53 hours. I would have taken it even slower and done all the sidequests / found and catalogued everything if I didn't want to start on GTA so badly.

Overall I loved the game: it's definitely a top-10 for me. Fits my gaming likes/dislikes even better than Zelda, insofar as I *LOVE* scavenger hunts, collecting, and fetch-quests (I'm serious).

The overworld is so much more alive than any Zelda game, with a seemingly endless number of NPCs with equally endless dialog. While the dungeons are light on puzzles and very linear, they surprised me with the amount of well-done platforming sections.

It's too bad the game comes apart right at the end, between the forced boss retread and the WTF final boss battle. Also the combat and weapon system, while very well done, are far far deeper than they need to be given the difficulty of the game. I have a feeling the game was originally meant to be much harder: as is there's really no pressing need to ever switch weapons, upgrade attacks, block attacks, etc. Particularly since 'spells' are everywhere.

I also felt like I was missing out on most of what was going on (as the developers intended) since the story/characters are so rooted in the Japanese language and mythology, but the translation was still top-knotch.

No crashes or glitches in all that time BTW. And the brush controls work fine provided you know what the game is looking for (read the 'technique scrolls'!)

The Hermit

Hey am I the only one with trouble at the last draw in M. Chic house? It´s a Japanese symbol but I can´t make it good :(

soldat7

I'm LTTP on this game and picked it up yesterday for PS2. I'm not going to resurrect an older PS2 thread to discuss this so I'll do it here:

This game is amazing.

I'm only about 3 hours in and I'm absolutely stunned by this game. I haven't played a Zelda game in years so maybe that's why I'm so hyped on this game right now. I really hope this game receives the sales that it deserves on the Wii as it truly is one of the best games I've played in recent memory. I'm putting this right up there with Rez HD as one of the most stunning and artistic games that I've ever played.

If anyone ever says to me "What? You still play video games?", I'll club them over the head, drag them to my house, and sit them down in front of Okami.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Just a heads up- its 30 dollars at Best Buy this week.

Just ordered it online with a 20 dollar gift card. Will be enjoying Okami for 12.09 later this week :D

I'm loving it, although if it was called Zelda: Cell-shaded Princess I wouldn't bat an eye.

30 hours or so in. I hate the amount of text and it's speed. I love the controls and visuals. I never played the PS2 version.

The Hermit

Y2Kev said:
Hope you guys are enjoying this game. The last hour or so makes me cry. :)

I felt a lump in my throat... :(
And when I became
Shiranui
I felt almost the same way at the end of Super Metroid and Earthbound.
It took me about 55hrs with everything (including that Stray Bead that I was complaining about before) and I still felt wanting more...

Also this game destroys all other Zelda games combined in the soundtrack department.
I think there´s only couple of song that I DON`T enjoy and the rest is magnificent!
Really, I´ve been listening to it for a couple of days non-stop (had an eye surgery so I couldn´t do anything else) and I was loving everything... from Shinshu Field to Weep´ker , from Orochi to Ninetails, only masterpieces!

My only complain is that the story felt kinda stretched, and a bit non-cohesive.

Other than that is pretty much fantastic!

Dissapointed that so few people played it... :/

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Finished it a few days ago. Good game, gorgeous presentation and style, but too many little things that brought it down for me personally. I'd give it a 7 to a 7.5.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Definitely late to the party here, but I'm finally going to get Okami. I've heard so many different opinions as to which version to get, and the graphical difference is pretty noticeable, based on GameTrailers' review. But I'm not sure which one is supposed to look better. I'm sure one of the "looks" looks better in the game overall, from start to finish.

And I've also heard the Wii controls are problematic, but others have said they're fine.

Confused. :[

Shins

Banned
Anyone received their replacement cover yet? I ordered mine a day or two after they started offering them, and nothing in the mail yet.

Vosos

...I never played the PS2 original so I don't know if this is how combat is supposed to be but Im finding it pretty difficult to consistently waggle the remote to activate attacks...it seems I can do one attack but then have to wait a good while to attack again. Is that part of the combat system, wherein if you don't perform a longer combo, you have to wait, or is it the Wiimote not registering? Some battles are taking longer than they seem the should because I get one hit in, then have to wait a good 10 seconds before I can do it again (Im thinking especially ones where you cant use your brush).

Thanks!

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
So I bought this game...

And I wanted to play it and Twilight Princess alternatingly...

And so far I have a lot more time logged in TP...

Is there something wrong with me? Why don't I love this game? :(

Andrex said:
So I bought this game...

I was about to post that this game does so many things better than Twilight Princess when I saw yours. This is my first time through the game and I'm loving it. My only complaint initially was that the combat kind of sucked, but since I've gotten the bead/necklace weapon I've enjoyed that too. My only wish was that they had used the paper filter more during actual gameplay; it looks great in the cutscenes where it's used and I wish they kept it on.

rod

Banned
Andrex said:
So I bought this game...

i love okami to death, so does my gf. but we both agree that playing it makes us want to play zelda TP even more. weird. i dont think okami is better than TP or vica versa, it just gives us that reaction

Stuneseht

Wow, just finished the game (PS2), the similarities with the zelda series is kind of eerie. I will put this game within my top 10 greatest games of all time. The only sad thing is, the ending felt like the series was going to continue on (I could be wrong), but because of sales, everything probably was scrapped.

botticus

I have finally gotten around to playing Okami, feels good to do so. Put about an hour or so in, enjoying things so far. Brush works once I get a little better with straight lines. I'm hoping (and assuming from what I've read) that combat becomes a bit more varied as you go.

Um, has anyone else had issues with their game getting all glitchy. I'm at
the part of the game where you have to go track down the three dogs not in the village and I went back to Kamiki, the village where you started, and fought the local dog.
The first time I fought him the game completely froze and I lost about 45 minutes of play time and after restarting my Wii and beating him again, the my head and the dog's head disappeared and would glitch up in an elongated fashion. Then the loading scroll took forever and I started timed battle at the top of the hill and the entire screen turned blue except for the HUD. What the heck is going on?

jarrod

Banned
Only glitch I had was the head glitch (twice) and it goes away after restarting. No freezes, but there are scattered reports of it so it must be fairly common.

Anyone finsished the Sei-An City fashion drawing yet? I can't get the heaven kanji to register, like no matter what I do... help!? :(

Shins said:
Anyone received their replacement cover yet? I ordered mine a day or two after they started offering them, and nothing in the mail yet.

I ordered mine within the same time frame and haven't gotten anything either. If it's anything like the free Wii Remote Jacket from a while back, it may take a while due to the human instinct to instantly grab any "FREE STUFF!!!!" lol.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Right before
trying to stop the log from going over the waterfall
I got a perma-loading screen. But I'm not very far in the game so this may not be the only thing I get.

Sagitario

jarrod said:
Only glitch I had was the head glitch (twice) and it goes away after restarting. No freezes, but there are scattered reports of it so it must be fairly common.

Anyone finsished the Sei-An City fashion drawing yet? I can't get the heaven kanji to register, like no matter what I do... help!? :(

Head glitch?
About the drawing, even in the PS2 version that was a problem... just keep trying and don't worry about the drawing looking the same, but about the directions of the lines you're drawing in the canvas...

Okami (PS 2):

I just finished the first 2 parts of 3 quests. It's an awesome game and good thing i went back and decided to finishing up what i left off 2 yrs ago.

BLOCKHEAD at Oni Island
.... I want to find that idiot who designed this idea and wants to pressured points his entire body!!!!! A FULL DAY wasted yesterday. A few hours tried and succeded!

Now, i'm taking a break for a day or two thanks due to "anger inducing + swearing" BH-OI.

Sagitario

You should have used your phone to record a video of the points... that's how I did it and I got it in less than 2 minutes :D ...

jarrod

Banned
Jade Knight 08 said:
BLOCKHEAD at Oni Island
.... I want to find that idiot who designed this idea and wants to pressured points his entire body!!!!! A FULL DAY wasted yesterday. A few hours tried and succeded!
Heh... and that's not even the worst blockhead! :D

I'd had to phone-cheat on the 8 point one myself...

I finished the game over the weekend. Didn't accumulate enough money to
get Karmic Transformation #5
. Got all the rest. :( Took about 40 hours.

I had one freeze and two head glitches happen to me. Luckily I read about other people's games freezing, so I saved often.

All in all very enjoyable, although I still think I liked Twilight Princess better.

Blockhead Grande was fun. I remembered the dots correctly several times, but I guess I must have been off by a centimeter or two every time, so I ended up having to cheat too. :/

jarrod

Banned
Farore said:
Head glitch?
Attack with beads when the gam,e transitions out of battle and sometimes Ami's head with freeze into something out of a Tim Burton movie.

Farore said:
About the drawing, even in the PS2 version that was a problem... just keep trying and don't worry about the drawing looking the same, but about the directions of the lines you're drawing in the canvas...
Ugh... still can't get it. :/

Any other pointers? Should I try drawing it smaller, I've heard that helps with some of the other formations? Do line lengths disqualify maybe? Really, really aggrivating... it's my last bead and a wanna finish the game finally. :/

Dascu

EURO GAFFERS!

http://hmv.com/hmvweb/displayProduc...63&WT.ac=games-PBODY-HC_HOMEPAGE_LEAD-777263#
432x590_okami.jpg

ORDERED.

This game is AMAZING. I'm a huge Zelda fan, and I've got to say that Okami matches the best the Zelda series has to offer in many areas and in some cases surpasses it.

It's a huge achievement and an outright shame that it didn't do well sales-wise.

The similarities to Twilight Princess are striking. I won't suggest that Aonuma's team was influenced by Okami, but it did come first and had I played it before TP, I'd have been pretty suspicious.

fresquito

Both games hit the market in the same time frame, so the chances for a copycat are pretty slim.

The biggest difference I see between both games is the better focus of Okami. Both games are linear and offer false freedom. But the world in Okami is designed as a big scenario for the story. You always feel like the story is leading you to new places. You can take the seat and enjoy the trip.

The world in TP is designed as a big hub between the sections that trigger the story, thus forcing the player to seek for such places to continue the story. The main problem is that you have to go through the big hub pretty often, thus it feels like you're catching the rainbow. You spend a lot of time going from point A to point B and having to spend a lot of time on Epona's back to reach point B.

Clearly TP's world was designed way before the story was even written. Okami had the scenarios designed to tell an ongoing tale.

It may seem like a small difference, but for me it makes it feel entirelly different.

JRPereira

I've been steadily progressing through the game. It's really damn good - the battle system feels great, the brush system with the wiimote is pretty solid (although the symbol for the
inferno blast thing with the infinity symbol
was a bit hard to draw unless you started from the left. The story and environments are great. I really like what they've done with the game. The plot has been pleasantly hard to predict and some of the surprise boss fights have been amazingly cool.

Speaking of surprises in boss fights, the second or third major plot boss fight had a pretty spooky one. It's the
ninetails
boss, where
when you fire up your celestial brush, a red brush shows up on the screen and starts drawing as well.
That spooked me out of doing more than just quick attacks through it, but I'm intrigued as hell and would like to see more bosses who can do that.

PLEASE tell me that there's some extra modes after beating the game like a boss rush mode or something. That would take the game from awesome into godly territory.

I'm currently in the
snow
area, not too long after fighting the
sword master at the beginning and going into some forbidden forest or something to rescue the lost girl who's supposed to be able to do the volcano chant

Finished this one yesterday - soooooooooo good.

Clover commited a sin near the end, though (spoilers for the very end):

The typical fight all the big bosses again trick! Please explain why I had to fight Orochi three times total!?

Small nitpick for an epic game. You can just feel the love Clover put into Okami.

Stuneseht

TheMissingLink said:
Finished this one yesterday - soooooooooo good.

Clover commited a sin near the end, though (spoilers for the very end):

The typical fight all the big bosses again trick! Please explain why I had to fight Orochi three times total!?

Small nitpick for an epic game. You can just feel the love Clover put into Okami.

I agree with you 100%. But i also think that the general consensus is that the second fight should have been a cutscene.

JRPereira said:
I'm currently in the
snow
area, not too long after fighting the
sword master at the beginning and going into some forbidden forest or something to rescue the lost girl who's supposed to be able to do the volcano chant

Time for a prophecy......

"Prepare to get stumped!"

Henshin-a-go-go, baby!

PLEASE tell me that there's some extra modes after beating the game like a boss rush mode or something.

Sure...but it's not a mode :lol

big_z

question!

is there a way to reset the camera behind you in this game quickly? the d-pad is kinda on the slow side.

fresquito

We've just published the review to this game at Pulsa Start. It's in Spanish: http://www.pulsastart.es/2008/06/okami-analisis/

Summary:
- This game it's the kind of great art that the masses will only learn to love once time has passed and the creator is dead.
- Very good and positive story. It feels really nicee to play a game with such focus on positive actions.
- Story is focused on japaneses myths, but the game deals with old problems that trascend the ambient.
- Great pacing, where story leads the player, instead of forcing the player to play catch up with the story. Scenarios are designed to ease the teale effortlessly.
- Combat starts pretty slow, but as techniques and brush powers appear, it becomes more enjoyable. Puzzles, exploration, and the like have a notable level. Everything flows seamlessly.
- Celestial brush has an impact on the gameplay, but in the end it's not totally relevant. It adds variety and options for the player, but it's not the driving force. It benefits from the Wii pointer.
- Have no words to describe the incredible graphical and sounding setting. Breathtaking.
- Some minor problems with technical issues.
- No translation can't be explained.
- Thanks to clover for creating such wonderfull game. Thanks to Ready at Dawn for doing a pretty good job porting the game to the Wii under a huge time constraint. Thanks to Capcom for letting this game be enjoyed by Wii owners and gamers alike.
- 5/5

Top Bottom