• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official PS3 Upscaling Thread (PS1, PS2, DVD)

Defensor

Mistaken iRobbery!
Sorry no cam pics yet but I got to try out both Time Crisis 3 and Resident Evil Outbreak File#2 and both have a smoother look to the character models and backgrounds. There was no split-second reaction timing errors when playing Outbreak File# 2. First thing I tried was David's 4 hit knife combo that was based on timing of pressing O and I made every 4-hit knife slash. BTW, I am using my PS3 on a Sharp Aquos 46' at 1080i.

Yixian

Banned
Android18a said:
Doom's been on EVERYTHING :p

beatprinny.jpg

OMG hentai.

Silent Hill old man never fails.

Gran Turismo 4 is what I want to see upscaled.

I was actually playing it for the last two weeks--first time since release really--and I was a little surprised by how good certain elements of the game looked. I had remembered it as typically-PS2 jaggy. But I played it for a while so that I'd get used to that trait, and below that is a pretty darn gorgeous game yet. If it was cleaned up to a higher resolution it'd be impressive for a PS2 title.

Dragon Quest is what caught my eye most in this topic. It looked really polished.

Fun Factor

Formerly FTWer
KyanMehwulfe said:
Silent Hill old man never fails.

Gran Turismo 4 is what I want to see upscaled.

I was actually playing it for the last two weeks--first time since release really--and I was actually a little surprised how good certain elements of the game looked. I had remember it to be as PS2-typically jaggy. But I played it for a while so that I got used to it, and below that is a pretty darn gorgeous game yet, especially for the PS2. If it was cleaned up to a higher resolution it'd be pretty darn nice, all thing considered.

I want to see what GT4 looks like scaled BAD!
I seen it on a HDTV at a store display & it was jaggy hell.

If it is cleaned up I'll rebuy it in a second.

bluheim

Banned
Could someone explain why PS2 games are not displaying in full screen on my plasma (with the PS3 set to output 1080i) ? Does it mean that the PS3 doesn't output 1080i (that means 1920x1080i) with PS2 games but only something like 960x540p ?

bud

GT4
MGS2 OR 3

CAN SOMEBODY DO A BEFORE AND AFTER COMPARISON FOR THESE GAMES

SOLDIER said:
I decided to give some DVD movies a try. Needless to say, I won't be needing my Samsung DVD player anymore. Very nice stuff.

fight club, se7en and lotr. awesome movie taste

Yixian said:
Someone try FFX and Rogue Galaxy.
I don't have my copy of FFX at the moment but I tried Rogue Galaxy earlier since I am LTTP with the game and have been playing it for the past week and a half.

BIG improvement. The shading on the back and front of Jaster's shirt really "pops" now. Not to mention the game is no longer a blurry mess on my display.

Dez

bluheim said:
Could someone explain why PS2 games are not displaying in full screen on my plasma (with the PS3 set to output 1080i) ? Does it mean that the PS3 doesn't output 1080i (that means 1920x1080i) with PS2 games but only something like 960x540p ?

If you set the PS3 to output Full Screen under Game settings, you should get 'close' to full screen (small black bars on the sides).

bluheim

Banned
Dez said:
If you set the PS3 to output Full Screen under Game settings, you should get 'close' to full screen (small black bars on the sides).

When set to Full, the PS3 stretches the games horizontally, and only horizontally. That would have been the perfect solution if it would have stretched it vertically two. Well, I suppose I'll have to wait for a fix since my plasma isn't able to zoom when it receives 720p/1080 signal.

i seem to prefer the sharper looking image on PS2 games when I have my TV set to 720p versus 1080i...anyone else have the same opinion?

Yixian

Banned
MickeyKnox said:
I don't have my copy of FFX at the moment but I tried Rogue Galaxy earlier since I am LTTP with the game and have been playing it for the past week and a half.

BIG improvement. The shading on the back and front of Jaster's shirt really "pops" now. Not to mention the game is no longer a blurry mess on my display.

Tubular!

f@luS

More than a member.
Please could someone with a 720p set test this?
i really do think that 1080 upscaling through PS3 is much better. Even though 1080i kinda sux on my TV (bad upscalling) , i think PS2 games upscaled by ps3 @ 1080i set up in the display option , look better than ps2 games upscaled @ 720p .

So what's the best configuration ?
I don't want to change everything when i switch from SotC to Okami, GOW II or Kingdom Hearts II.

Chû Totoro said:
So what's the best configuration ?
I don't want to change everything when i switch from SotC to Okami, GOW II or Kingdom Hearts II.

It depends if the game supports widescreen or not. Or you could just leave it on Full if you don't mind that nasty squished look. Smoothing is a little too blurry for me, so I'm leaving it off now.

gogogow

Just tested MGS3S, it's now working again with v1.80 PAL PS3.

I don't see a huge improvement, maybe it's just my lcd tv.

Someone with a PAL PS3 seeing huge differences?

Goldrusher

Where are the pics ?

If the bloody thing was region-free I'd post hundreds of comparison pics. But unfortunately, my JPN console can't play my PAL games...not even region 2 dvd in PAL.

GT4, San Andreas, Metal Gear Solid, etc.
Games that are simply beautiful, or used to be interlace-only.

SOLDIER said:
I'm giving it a try, but on PS/PS2 upscaler, there's three choices: Off, Normal, and Fullscreen. It's set to Normal by default, but if I pick fullscreen, my TV says the mode isn't supported (even though it goes up to 1080p). What's fullscreen supposed to do?

On most Sony TV's Fullscreen is for 16:9 content and Normal is 4:3.

Yixian

Banned
Well, I'll be honest, I noticed very little difference on Crash, and only a slightly smoother image and FFX.

These aren't ideal games for this upscaling I think.

When I get home, I'm gonna run Digital Devil Saga, Shadow Hearts 2-3, and some crappy Ephermal Fantasia through this new update. I'm hoping to be impressed like most here.

It's a shame we can't play import PS2 games yet. I'd love to see how Gundam SEED: EA vs Zaft 2 would look though the scaler.

v1c

the best part of the update is if you have had problems with the hdmi handshake issue on your HDTV then that is finally taken care of. With my westinghouse tv i would have to change inputs when the resolution would change which was pretty annoying. Not anymore! I took some pics before and after the update. I'll post them after work today.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I'm loving this shit!

VF4: Evo

GlzjsAJZR.jpg

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Some PSone cropped comparisons..sorry if the 1080p ones look 'horizontally squashed', I think I need to fiddle with the settings a bit. But these are with smoothing on.

Wipeout 480p

wipeout480pxt0.jpg

Wipeout 1080p

wipeout1080pim1.jpg

Crash 480p

crash1480pso9.jpg

Crash 1080p

crash11080pcm2.jpg

Edges and text give the most noticeable difference, as you'd expect.

I'll take some better ones without the horizontal squashing later..

womfalcs3

Banned
Reilly said:
Pics people!

You own $3000 HDTV's but don't have a camera?

I got a $390 27" HDTV (More like a monitor since it doesn't have a tuner) with HDMI. I only got it for the PS3 so I wasn't looking for a tuner... but if I ever want to use it for cable, I'll just get the free box my cable company offers that inputs the video through HDMI.

Other than college tuition, I have never spent $3,000 on any one thing. I don't own a vehicle.

Yoshichan

Crash Bandicoot 3

qWzHbgylW.jpg

Tailzo

donkey show said:
WIt's a shame we can't play import PS2 games yet. I'd love to see how Gundam SEED: EA vs Zaft 2 would look though the scaler.

Is there any chance at all we'll ever be able to play import games? I need to play my US copy of Suikoden 3 again.

.hacked

Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence.

Before pic running on a PS2 hooked up via component, stretched to fill screen.

After pic running on PS3 via HDMI set to full screen upscalling @ 1080p.

mgs3s01bgn2.jpg

before

mgs3s01arn0.jpg

after

mgs3s02bgh9.jpg

before

mgs3s02apn2.jpg

after

mgs3s03bzd2.jpg

before

mgs3s03axn5.jpg

after

Tailzo said:
Is there any chance at all we'll ever be able to play import games? I need to play my US copy of Suikoden 3 again.
I'm still holding onto that dream and hopefully it will be fulfilled through a future update.

Ranger X

What if you upscale but you don't put the smoothing? I wonder if that might look better. Most of the time i don't like software smoothing as it only blurs the picture instead of really making it look better.

bud

.hacked said:
Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence.

Before pic running on a PS2 hooked up via component, stretched to fill screen.

After pic running on PS3 via HDMI set to full screen upscalling @ 1080p.

awesome, thanks man.

can you do the same for gt3 or 4?

Top Bottom