• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey (DS) Import Thread

Yaweee

Somebody posted what might be the full soundtrack on Youtube. There's only around 30 tracks there. =( There's a lot of repetitive chanting in the tracks I've heard so far.

Apparently the password system has a lot of secrets, like using the developers' names and the such.

ethelred

Yaweee said:
Somebody posted what might be the full soundtrack on Youtube. There's only around 30 tracks there. =(

That's disappointing. I guess that's what comes of Shoji Meguro composing practically every song for practically every Atlus game (nevermind actually directing games now, too), but... I wish they could've gotten Kenichi Tsuchiya or someone like that to contribute, like a dozen songs, or at least do some rearranges of some SMT1/2 music.

Still, I really like the music I've heard so far, and I'd rather have 30 Meguro songs than 50 by someone who doesn't really do Megaten music (or even 15 songs by the Survivor dude).

Yaweee

ethelred said:
That's disappointing. I guess that's what comes of Shoji Meguro composing practically every song for practically every Atlus game (nevermind actually directing games now, too), but... I wish they could've gotten Kenichi Tsuchiya or someone like that to contribute, like a dozen songs, or at least do some rearranges of some SMT1/2 music.

Still, I really like the music I've heard so far, and I'd rather have 30 Meguro songs than 50 by someone who doesn't really do Megaten music (or even 15 songs by the Survivor dude).

Yeah, Meguro is stretched too thin. He's a fantastic composer, but it would be nice if Atlus could get somebody else to do some minor tracks or remixes (kind of like how they had Soejima do in-game art for Kaneko's designs in the old days)-- having too few songs has been a problem for a fair number of the recent SMT games. It makes me a little concerned for the (eventual) P2 remake. If they do an IS/EP combo, that's a 150~200 song soundtrack, and I don't think Meguro could handle that alone.

I disagree with the hate for the Devil Survivor soundtrack. There's some good tracks on there, just not the ones that you get to hear all the time.

Yaweee said:
Yeah, Meguro is stretched too thin. He's a fantastic composer, but it would be nice if Atlus could get somebody else to do some minor tracks or remixes (kind of like how they had Soejima do in-game art for Kaneko's designs in the old days)-- having too few songs has been a problem for a fair number of the recent SMT games. It makes me a little concerned for the (eventual) P2 remake. If they do an IS/EP combo, that's a 150~200 song soundtrack, and I don't think Meguro could handle that alone.

That would be an absolute nightmare, I can only imagine the sort of hell he would go through doing it alone.

Acosta

Freyjadour said:
This thread is entirely too quiet. :(

What do you want? I won't be able to touch it in months until the USA launch whenever it is and I don't want to torture myself reading about something I will play for myself in months. I don't even know why I am posting here (I'm weak).

Awesome OT duckroll, thanks.

Gorgon

B.K. said:
The producer of the game said that they set it in Antarctica because they didn't think a Tokyo setting would appeal to foreign audiences and that's the only reason the game wasn't named Shin Megami Tensei IV.

I still don't think this is SMT:IV

I kid, I kid

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Nocturne/DDS have a lot of 'cutscene' music. If you took those out you'd be left with a small soundtrack. Since the presentation of SMT4 is not cinematic and it's more like an ADV game with huge portraits/tons of text, there's really no need for a lot of songs for each event/cutscene.

Yaweee

Error said:
Nocturne/DDS have a lot of 'cutscene' music. If you took those out you'd be left with a small soundtrack. Since the presentation of SMT4 is not cinematic and it's more like an ADV game with huge portraits/tons of text, there's really no need for a lot of songs for each event/cutscene.

Even without the cutscene music (looking at just the 1-disc OST that is only the towns/dungeons/ending/battles, and missing a few songs), DDS has more tracks than SJ and the game is about 1/3rd as long.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
7Th said:
SMT 2 had a pretty clear villain. And Nocturne had a "good" path in the True Neutral ending.
So one bad villian and a game stated neutral ending (Yahweh is still out there and he probably isnt too happy with you). Yes, this suddenly makes SMT a battle of good vs evil.

/sarcasm mode

duckroll

I think a huge contributing factor to the small amount of tracks in SJ is that the music is all streamed. Atlus probably can't justify a cart size larger than the 1gbit one they're using now just for more music.

7Th

HK-47 said:
So one bad villian and a game stated neutral ending (Yahweh is still out there is he probably isnt too happy with you). Yes, this suddenly makes SMT a battle of good vs evil.

/sarcasm mode

With a tyrannical dictator like YHWH out there, it's impossible for SMT to not be a battle of good versus evil.

Actually, you're kinda right; I wouldn't call it a battle of good versus evil, SMT is just a game about doing the "right" thing.
It's honestly just silly to believe there isn't a clear "right" path in SMT games. Except for Nocturne's True Demon ending, mind you.

duckroll said:
I think a huge contributing factor to the small amount of tracks in SJ is that the music is all streamed. Atlus probably can't justify a cart size larger than the 1gbit one they're using now just for more music.

That's a tad distressing to hear =/

duckroll said:

Just another reason this game should have been on the PS3/360.
IS JOKE

duckroll

Freyjadour said:
Just another reason this game should have been on the PS3/360.
IS JOKE

But Atlus took into consideration what gamers these days REALLY want. On the PS3 and 360, the number of achievements would have to be limited because of the cap on total points. :D

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
7Th said:
With a tyrannical dictator like YHWH out there, it's impossible for SMT to not be a battle of good versus evil.

Actually, you're kinda right; I wouldn't call it a battle of good versus evil, SMT is just a game about doing the "right" thing.
It's honestly just silly to believe there isn't a clear "right" path in SMT games. Except for Nocturne's True Demon ending, mind you.

Which is the reason why its law vs chaos. Siding with neither side or siding with Lucifer arent sure bets either and sometimes even visibly screw the PC or lots of other people over. Lots of the neutral paths seem like "how much can I screw myself over" exercises.

Jangaroo

Always the tag bridesmaid, never the tag bride.
HK-47 said:
Which is the reason why its law vs chaos. Siding with neither side or siding with Lucifer arent sure bets either and sometimes even visibly screw the PC or lots of other people over. Lots of the neutral paths seem like "how much can I screw myself over" exercises.
Only the toughest of the tough take the neutral path.

duckroll said:
But Atlus took into consideration what gamers these days REALLY want. On the PS3 and 360, the number of achievements would have to be limited because of the cap on total points. :D

Just do what Blue Dragon did: 10 points for everything! :p

duckroll

Dragona Akehi said:
You're joking right? They put ACHIEVEMENTS in Strange Journey?

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK

Yeah it was announced some time ago. There are "Play Records" you can access, which grant you medals or something for completing certain things like "Successfully recruit 10 demons via negotiation", "Fall through xxxx trap floors", "Use Devil Co-Op successfully 5 times", etc. They're even split into different categories I think.

I need my game! :(

duckroll said:
Yeah it was announced some time ago. There are "Play Records" you can access, which grant you medals or something for completing certain things like "Successfully recruit 10 demons via negotiation", "Fall through xxxx trap floors", "Use Devil Co-Op successfully 5 times", etc. They're even split into different categories I think.

Ugh. Worst SMT ever.

duckroll said:

Spend 10 hours OXing to get the correct 8 fusion spells.

Yaweee

Dragona Akehi said:
Ugh. Worst SMT ever.

If they're optional, what does it matter? It's not like people often maxed out the compendium for the 100% rewards before.

duckroll said:
SJ only has 6 skill slots. :(

Hey, that and the crummy grayed-out skills that use up slots make for waaaaaay fewer potential fusion outcomes, so getting the "best" skill set should take less time.

I'm just being optimistic =(

Yaweee said:
If they're optional, what does it matter? It's not like people often maxed out the compendium for the 100% rewards before.

Achievements are the worst thing to happen to gaming. Get a stupid bullshit "Achievement" for negotiating with ten demons? In SMT? Really?

duckroll

Dragona Akehi said:
Achievements are the worst thing to happen to gaming. Get a stupid bullshit "Achievement" for negotiating with ten demons? In SMT? Really?

I think the achievement is called "Devil Friend". :lol

Yaweee

Apparently there's a password-only demon in the game, to be revealed in a future Famitsu.

It is
Jack Frost in a Demonica suit
. :lol

duckroll

Dragona Akehi said:
Or falling through an arbitrary number of trap doors? They thought this was a good idea?

They probably had to fill up the list just so they could boast about having over 150, as a marketing bullet point. :)

Yaweee

Dragona Akehi said:
Or falling through an arbitrary number of trap doors? They thought this was a good idea?

Sounds less dumb than some of the quests in Persona3/4 and EO1/2.

You are right, though. They're there just for the sake of having them. Few will add anything to the game, except little markers that you did some quests/story branches in previous playthroughs.

Achievements exist to encourage off-label gaming and make people feel like they've spent time well doing things besides pushing single-mindedly towards the final boss. They're really no different from having unlockable benefits or rewards for completing sidequests in other games, and they can be designed well or poorly.

Many of the sidequests in Raidou 2 were a lot of fun (both the plot-heavy ones with cameos from what I assume are Raidou 1 characters and the fun fusing ones like
making a Pixie who knows Megidolaon
) so if SJ's "achievements" encourage you to do fun stuff like that I expect they'll make a positive addition to the game.

ethelred

charlequin said:
Achievements exist to encourage off-label gaming and make people feel like they've spent time well doing things besides pushing single-mindedly towards the final boss. They're really no different from having unlockable benefits or rewards for completing sidequests in other games, and they can be designed well or poorly.

Many of the sidequests in Raidou 2 were a lot of fun (both the plot-heavy ones with cameos from what I assume are Raidou 1 characters and the fun fusing ones like
making a Pixie who knows Megidolaon
) so if SJ's "achievements" encourage you to do fun stuff like that I expect they'll make a positive addition to the game.

It's just really useless, ridiculous hyperbole. The inability to utilize a nuanced thought process gets tiresome -- when it isn't the "this is either the best game ever or the worst game ever" dichotomy, it's the belief that a supplementary and totally optional gaming system can't be sometimes well designed (and fun) or sometimes poorly designed (and stupid), it isn't that the system can't be good when used properly but bad when taken to ridiculous extremes by certain gamers... no, it's just that it is inherently awful at all times and is even going so far as to ruin gaming. Yeah, that's the ticket.

The people that base all of their gaming around achievements and trying to get pointless points just for the recognition are dumb. The people that engage in lame, frustrating, tedious, or otherwise unfun tasks in game in order to get that recognition are also being pretty dumb (though I guess the same could be said of people who play Animal Crossing). That doesn't mean that achievements, when properly designed, can't offer any sort of enjoyment. I've had fun with achievements in a number of games. At their best, they offer a rewarding encouragement for players to try something new, to work within the fullness of the game's systems, and to go for difficult but still enjoyable goals. There's nothing wrong with that. At all.

Mass Effect's still the highwater mark for me -- it rewarded me for utilizing all the different characters (which I may not otherwise have done), for playing around with different weapons and abilities (which helped me learn how they all work and how they can be used strategically in different situations), and for playing on higher difficulties... and what's more, it didn't just reward me with the neat looking medals, it actually unlocked in-game rewards as well (which, to be honest, is not all that different from what games have been doing for quite a long while now). Civilization Revolution also had some good ones, and the achievements there helped to encourage me to play more of the offered civilizations, to go for each type of victory, and to go for some of the more bizarre victory scenarios that the developers thought up, all of which enhanced my enjoyment of the game and helped me to get more out of it.

And it's really true that at their root, achievements are nothing more than rewarding players for completing certain tasks, and that's nothing new in games, nor is it anything over which to engage in some kind of vitriolic rant. What's the difference between these and the concept of getting progressively better rewards for collecting tchotchkes (in the form of mini-medals) in Dragon Quest? Oh, wait, there isn't any. 70% of the characters in the Suikoden series are recruited by going out and doing the exact same sort of stuff that people get achievements for. And as you noted, this is nothing different from the quests in Raidou 2 (or the Personae), and those were fun and, with some of the better ones, added to the fun of the game. Et cetera and so on. Give me a break

sfried

duckroll said:
They're using a 1 gb card? They might as well used a 2gb and go LEVEL 5 with the aural presentation.

So, has Mara been confirmed in the game yet?

duckroll

sfried said:
They're using a 1 gb card? They might as well used a 2gb and go LEVEL 5 with the aural presentation.

The only Level 5 games out now which use 2gbit carts are Layton 3 and Inazuma Eleven 2. I'm sure if Strange Journey sells over 300k, the next SMT game on the DS will use a larger cart too. :p

Layton 1 was on a 512mbit cart, Layton 2 was 1gbit, and Inazuma Eleven was 1gbit.

I'm feeling a bit hesitant about getting SJ now. However, whenever someone beats it and has some impressions on the plot, I'll revise that. I want to see how awesome of a plot they can make coming off Nocturne.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Freyjadour said:
I demand more OPs from you a la the SaGa II one. All other obligations be damned.
I'll do what I can.
Error said:
I don't know you anymore.
You don't even want to know what I've been doing instead of coming to IRC and spending a lot of time on GAF.
Yugioh. The card game. For serious.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Dragona Akehi said:
They're just practicing for their inevitable Persona 360/PS3 game

Coxswain

Dragona Akehi said:
In fairness, I don't think I would have got that one in Nocturne, unless it counted the demons who start negotiation just to avoid being killed.

Top Bottom