• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Sonic Unleashed Thread Of Either "Endless Possibility" Or Sonic-Cycling It!

HUELEN10

876a9e75-1.jpg

keyinfo.png

• North American Release Dates: November 18th for Wii and PS2, November 20th for 360, and December 12th for PS3.
  • Most Current Price: About 30 US Dollars across all 4 platforms.
  • Genre: Platformer/Brawler
  • Platforms: XBOX 360, PLAYSTATION 3, PlayStation 2, and Wii.
  • Publisher: SEGA
  • Developer: Sonic Team as well as Dimps for the non-HD version daytime stages.
  • Official Website
  • IGN Dev Blog
  • Hedgehog Engine Info Site
  • Wiki Entry
Story
The game begins with Super Sonic amidst a battle with Dr. Eggman and his robots. Somehow Dr. Eggman lures Super Sonic into a trap and using his latest invention misuses the power of the Chaos Emeralds to defeat Super Sonic and change something in Sonic's body causing him to unleash the werehog. Dr Eggman appears to break the planet apart soon afterwards. Having been broken apart by the evil Dr. Eggman, it's up to Sonic to put the pieces of the world back together with the help of his new friend, Chip.

Features

• 2D/3D gameplay: This mechanic gives a classic spin to 3d Sonic by making it so that the camera puts you in control of an old-school inspired 2d gameplay style. It doesn't play like Megadrive Sonic, but it is a nice little throwback.
  • Multiple Wii Controller Options: If the controller works on your Wii, you can use it.
  • Speed: With Ring Energy, blast your way with speeds of 300 MPH! Ring energy is like the "Tension Gauge" in the Sonic Rush series of games. Basically you have a meter that holds a special boost to your speed, and as long as you have it, you can use it. Leveling up is also included in this game.
  • Nighttime Gameplay: The difference is night and day, literally! As Sonic The Werehog, battle your way through hordes of baddies. Wii version is enhanced by motion control. Basically God of War with Sonic dumbed down, this brings a fun twist and a lot of fun platforming action.
  • Online Component: Expand your world adventure with Sonic Unleashed Adventure Packs. Each DLC pack includes harder versions of existing acts as well as brand-new acts for Sonic The Hedgehog & Sonic The Werehog to enjoy.

videosandscreens.png

Vids
Intro
Apotos Town & Stage
Holoska
Mazuri
Chun-Nan (Wii)

Shots (HD on top, Wii on Bottom)

Apotos
40a43dd1.jpg

21913328.jpg

Spagonia
03a274bf.jpg

b38e9be4.jpg

hedgehogengine.png

The following is taken from the IGN Sonic Unleashed Blog.
The “Hedgehog Engine” and its visual quality
We also have “stunning visual beauty” as a major theme in Sonic Unleashed. I was not interested in making “average-quality” visuals at all. For me, the target for visual quality was to be on par with pre-rendered CG animation and I wanted to achieve that goal in this title. Now with high-end hardware such as Xbox 360 and PlayStation3, it’s the right time to be able to achieve this goal.

Back in 2005, I was able to see new games from some other studios for Xbox360 and PlayStation3 and I remember always feeling that something was missing. I thought that though it was true that they looked better than past-gen games, I still felt something was missing. They were doing things with Shadow Map, Normal Map, HDR… shaders and everything. So okay, the lighting may have been richer… but was not blended enough. Things just looked flat as a whole. I thought the users’ expectation was much higher. So we knew we needed graphics that reached the “pre-rendered CG animation” level.

So I started thinking about what is needed to achieve this. What does pre-rendered CGs have that game graphics lighting doesn’t? I went on to make it a habit to observe many games, a lot of pre-rendered graphics and real-life scenes as well. As a result, I came to the conclusion that the effect of light reflecting from one object to another was what was completely lacking in many gaming graphics. I realized that this was what I felt was “missing.” This is a concept called “Global Illumination” in the field of pre-rendered CG.

After much struggle, we finally developed a Renderer that calculates Global Illumination by our 100% original algorithm. To cover the vast amounts of calculation that need to be processed, we also improvised a system that connects 100 PCs for the team to distribute the work load, which enabled us to complete all the lighting calculations for an action stage which goes as long as 10~20Km in 2 or 3 days.

At the same time, we developed a technology called Light Field, which is used to ensure that the lightings on Sonic, enemies and objects are naturally blended to the background under the Global Illumination environment.

The result of Global Illumination and Light Field produced brilliant results. Graphics at the quality which were only a dream just a few years ago started to come alive before my eyes. I remember watching the prototype graphics with my background and character artists as their eyes started to glisten as they looked at the screen with such intensity. That’s when I became sure of our success.

As you all know, We have Sonic in Sonic Unleashed. The overall feel of the graphics is rather cartoonish. Usually people don’t associate high-end visual technologies with these cartoonish graphics. But we have set the foundation for creating world-leading quality visuals that could be on par with hardcore FPS or racing games of a more “realistic” nature. We made no compromise in visual quality and/ or game mechanism. This is Sonic Unleashed.
cfae6ad4.jpg

For more info and more in-progress screens of the Hedgehog Engine at work, please go to the info site via the link at the top of the thread.

360.png

The following is a list of the achievements/trophies in the HD game along with their Xbox gamerscore amount.

Still Broken: Save the first continent *25 Points
Looking Better: Save the second continent *25 Points
Still a Jigsaw Puzzle: Save the third continent *25 Points
Picking Up the Pieces: Save the fourth continent *25 Points
Almost There: Save the fifth continent *25 Points
One More to Go: Save the sixth continent *25 Points
World Savior: Complete the game *100 Points
Partly Cloudy: Collect Sun Medals *30 Points
Sunny: Collect all of the Sun Medals *50 Points
Half Moon: Collect Moon Medals *30 Points
Full Moon: Collect all of the Moon Medals *50 Points
Blue Streak: Create an unbeatable Hedgehog *30 Points
Power Overwhelming: Create an unbeatable Werehog *30 Points
Getting the Hang of Things: Get a high score with Sonic the Hedgehog *15 Points
Creature of the Night: Get a high score with Sonic the Werehog *15 Points
Helping Hand: Help someone in need *20 Points
Lay the Smackdown: Improve your Stomp! *10 Points
Wall Crawler: Improve your Wall Jump! *10 Points
Airdevil: Improve your Air Boost! *10 Points
Hyperdrive: Improve your Lightspeed Dash! * 10 Points
Basher: Get your Werehog level up *10 Points
Smasher: Get your Werehog level up some more! *10 Points
Crasher: Get your Werehog level up even higher! * 10 Points
Thrasher: Get your Werehog level way up there! * 10 Points
Social Butterfly: Talk to people around the world *10 Points
Hungry Hungry Hedgehog: Eat everything in the world *30 Points
Ace Pilot: Pull off some flawless flying *20 Points
Day Tripper: Race through all stages *20 Points
Hard Day’s Night: Blast through all stages *20 Points
Get on the Exorcise Bandwagon: Drive dark spirits away *20 Points
Gyro with Relish: Eat all the hot dogs in Apotos *10 Points
Pig in a Blanket: Eat all the hot dogs in Spagonia *10 Points
Exotic Toppings: Eat all the hot dogs in Mazuri *10 Points
Sausage Fried Rice: Eat all the hot dogs in Chun-nan *10 Points
Iced Hotdog: Eat all the hot dogs in Holoska *10 Points
Kebab on a Bun: Eat all the hot dogs in Shamar *10 Points
Ketchup and Mustard: Eat all the hot dogs in Empire City *10 PointsHard Boiled: Eat all the hot dogs in Eggmanland *10 Points
Fried Clam Roll: Eat all the hot dogs in Adabat *10 Points
First Time Customer: Buy something from Wentos (Who the **** is Wentos?!?!?!) *10 Points
Oh, You Shouldn't Have!: Give a souvenir to the Professor *10 Points
That's Enough, Seriously: Give every souvenir to the Professor *20 Points
Hedgehunk: Talk with people in the pursuit of love * 5 Points
I Ain't Afraid of No Ghost: Someone is dealing with spectral troubles *5 Points
BFFs: Become better friends with Chip *20 Points
Speeding Ticket: Become the fastest thing alive *20 points
Combo King: Work on your combos *20 Points
Ring Leader: Gather Rings from all over the world *20 Points
Knockout Brawler: Smash, smash, and smash some more *20 Points
Blue Meteor: Dash through the white walls at top speed *20 Points

shitfuck.png

1up 360 Review "C"
1up Wii Review "D"
IGN 360 Review "4.5/10"
IGN Wii Review "7.2/10"
Fuck the reviews!

Most Current NA Release Dates: November 18th for Wii and PS2, November 20th for 360, and December 12th for PS3.
Price: $49.99 for 360 and Wii versions, $39.99 for the PS2 version, and $59.99 for PS3. Please note that all prices re in US currency.

So PS3 owners have to pay more and wait longer for the game? Nice!

jman2050

The moment of truth has arrived.

I hope I eat crow, though I'm setting my expectations realistically, as usual.

HUELEN10

This is my first official thread, and it will be updated slightly in the coming hours. Any advice/critiques would be much appreciated. As for the Holoska Wii and Empire City Trailers, they will be update when it is up on YouTube!

Oneself

SolidSnakex said:
So PS3 owners have to pay more and wait longer for the game? Nice!
:lol Wait a few months and you'll be able to get the bargain bin price. Sega is pretty good in that department.

I'd cut the spacing on the achievements (or link to them, possibly listing some to show what they're like), they take up way too much space now..

Edit the "features" so they don't read like back-of-the-box bullets and actually explain things a bit - the phrase "Ring Energy" means absolutely jack shit to me.

Stick the videos beneath the screens, and think about setting the screens two on a row (some may not like that, though).

You might also want to have a line-up of like six 360/PS3 screens and then six Wii/PS2 screens, as well as a disclaimer on how the versions differ (I mean, I don't know for sure, but the Wii version has notable differences besides graphics, doesn't it?)

Other than that, very good work for a first attempt!

HUELEN10

dark steve said:
I'd cut the spacing on the achievements (or link to them, possibly listing some to show what they're like), they take up way too much space now.. done

Edit the "features" so they don't read like back-of-the-box bullets and actually explain things a bit - the phrase "Ring Energy" means absolutely jack shit to me. done

Stick the videos beneath the screens, and think about setting the screens two on a row (some may not like that, though).

You might also want to have a line-up of like six 360/PS3 screens and then six Wii/PS2 screens, as well as a disclaimer on how the versions differ (I mean, I don't know for sure, but the Wii version has notable differences besides graphics, doesn't it?)

Other than that, very good work for a first attempt!
All the things you said, I will correct in the coming hours. I thank you for your input!

UPDATE

Fixed the Spacing

Edited the features and elaborated on the points. Still in bullets for convenience.

Still updating.....

Will make Wii/HD version differneces section, merchandise section, and nations of the world section.

Amir0x

Banned
i'm desperate for a good sonic game too, but all 3D sonic games suck and they don't know when to stop. Maybe if it was all just running, but you got this werehog shit and well :p

HUELEN10

Amir0x said:
I don't know why you guys set yourself up every time :p
We didn't this time Amir0x. This game IS different. We don't know how it will end, we will know that next week, but the cycle has never been this close to being broken. As long as we approach this game openly, but not merely jumping into it, we should be find.

Remember these things:

It is NOT Hold Right-a-thon

As far as bugs and glitches go, we can say with confidence that at least in the case of the 360 version, screen tearing and fucky fluctuating framerate is not an issue. Loadtimes are also acceptable.

To those who have played it, the Werehog is God of War for kids. If the 2D looks good, yet not "genesis style", and the Werehog gameplay in its core is not being panned, then this is not a classic Sonic game, but it is simply something different, and at least an average game.

At least with the way things are going. It is okay to be optimistic, just step slowly!

HUELEN10 said:
It is NOT Hold Right-a-thon

As far as bugs and glitches go, we can say with confidence that at least in the case of the 360 version, screen tearing and fucky fluctuating framerate is not an issue. Loadtimes are also acceptable.

To those who have played it, the Werehog is God of War for kids. If the 2D looks good, yet not "genesis style", and the Werehog gameplay in its core is not being panned, then this is not a classic Sonic game, but it is simply something different, and at least an average game.
And how do we know all of these things again? The whole hold-right-a-thon stuff especially, since everything I've seen says EXACTLY that. It looks like Sonic Rush Adventure but pretty and with weird behind Sonic segments.

HUELEN10

I AM JOHN! said:
And how do we know all of these things again?
For the hold Right-a-thon, see the Apotos vid in this thread. It may be the most "Speed based, Sonic Advance 2ey stage, but even then you can see that you simply cannot beat this by the Sonic Advance 2 method. Teknoman in the other thread detailed this more.

For the bugs listed, or rather lack thereof, we know this from videos. Even the Sonic 06 vids showed their problems, but the Ruliweb and Micromania vids show us that Load times are acceptable and at least the 360 version has a locked framerate and no tearing.

As for Werehog, see Destructoid.

HUELEN10

The thing to remember is this. This is NOT CLASSIC SONIC.

They are NEVER going back to the roots. They have stated this many times.

It is important in this case to keep in mind that just because it is different, does not necessarily mean its bad. If you are expecting classic Sonic with this, you WILL be disappointed.

Amir0x said:
i'm desperate for a good sonic game too, but all 3D sonic games suck and they don't know when to stop. Maybe if it was all just running, but you got this werehog shit and well :p

I actually like SA and SA2. Well the Sonic sections (and Shadow for SA2). I thought they were handled well aside from the glitchy camera. Had they just focused on their levels I think both games would've had a much better reception.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
SolidSnakex said:
I actually like SA and SA2. Well the Sonic sections (and Shadow for SA2). I thought they were handled well aside from the glitchy camera. Had they just focused on their levels I think both games would've had a much better reception.
I feel the same. The speed stages were quite fun and the best part from both games.

SolidSnakex said:
I also liked the Tails and Knuckles levels.

That is, in the original Adventure. Tails' levels were basically just shorter versions of Sonic's while Knuckles were much more doable because for one, the radar would pick up more than one emerald at a time, and two, they would stay in the same locations which made it easier to restart.

Teknoman

Add stage names maybe in place of country names for trailers?

Chun-nan = Dragon Road
Spagonia = Rooftop Run
Apotos = Windmill Isle
Holoska = Cool Edge
Mazuri = Savannah Citadel

Anyway, download Empire City trailer now. Wonder what kinda music that'll have.

Also people who've played the game already say the werehog gameplay actually isnt all that bad, but is definitely comparable to a kid friendly God of War.

So what are the difference (besides graphics obviously) between the PS2/Wii and PS3/360 version? Last thing I remember something being said about the PS2/Wii version have less stages.

PSGames

I find it interesting that the 360 version is $50 whle the PS3 version is $60. Is this because the PS3 cost more money to develop for? Or is MS subsidizing any "family friendly" games to hit their system? Smart move if it's the latter. I wonder why Sony isn't doing the same?

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
HUELEN10 said:
The thing to remember is this. This is NOT CLASSIC SONIC.

They are NEVER going back to the roots. They have stated this many times.

It is important in this case to keep in mind that just because it is different, does not necessarily mean its bad. If you are expecting classic Sonic with this, you WILL be disappointed.
Yeah because apparently Sonic Unleashed is going to "surpass" the classic Sonics :lol

HUELEN10

grandjedi6 said:
Yeah because apparently Sonic Unleashed is going to "surpass" the classic Sonics :lol
You never know.....

I doubt it, but you never know.

Added merchandise section. "Nations of the world" is coming soon.

Crossposting from the old thread, but people keep saying Mirror's Edge is a really good Sonic game.

There's this guy, Brad Borne, who apparently either got contacted by EA or contacted EA himself to do Mirror's Edge 2D. He's doing a whole game like that, apparently, and right now all that's up is a test area so people can get a feel for the controls and stuff, but even with that, I can't stop myself from playing it over and over and over again.

If you like Mirror's Edge 2D, the same creator has been working on his own original flash game called Fancy Pants Adventure. There's two worlds for FPA right now, and basically, Fancy Pants Adventure was the base for what is becoming Mirror's Edge 2D. There's a ton of similarities between the two projects in terms of controls and the like.

One can't help but wonder, if Sonic Rush never existed, would we be playing Sonic games like Fancy Pants Adventure? Big, smooth slopes and lots of cool acrobatic flair. Not necessarily 300mph, but still fast feeling, regardless, just like the old Sonic games...

Top Bottom