• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Sonic Unleashed Thread Of Either "Endless Possibility" Or Sonic-Cycling It!

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Mizuri is my favorite track, followed by Spagonia.

I like Holoska's and Chun-Nan's as well. Hate the desert level's music.

HUELEN10

Anasui Kishibe said:
three_glued_barrels.jpg

give me a call, guys
huh?

Andrex said:
Mizuri is my favorite track, followed by Spagonia.

I like Holoska's and Chun-Nan's as well. Hate the desert level's music.

I thought I was the only one!

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
HUELEN10 said:
I thought I was the only one!

Nope. :D

I may be biased though since I tend to hate desert levels of any kind, but even on its own I really dislike the music. Maybe I just don't have a taste for middle eastern music. :/

Teknoman

:lol Whats funny is that i've grown to like Mazuri's music, but automatically liked Shamar's music.

Love desert/egyptian stages as well as jungle/ruin stages.

One thing the PS3/360 version has over the Wii version

http://blogs.ign.com/SEGA_SonicUnleashed/

Sachiko Kawamura said:
We wanted our stages to look great, so that if you took a screenshot at any point along that 12-mile stretch, it’d look great—and at the same time, that along that 12-mile stretch, the background wouldn’t just look the same. Everywhere you stopped, we wanted the player to be able to spot something new.

And this is with Sonic moving at 150 meters per second!

If you look closely at the environment, you’ll see all sorts of things, like butterflies amidst the flowers, fish swimming just under the surface of the water, windmills spinning around... you can even hear old men singing in the shower if you get close enough to the window.

Synless

HUELEN10 said:
I don't know. Can anyone find a credible source that says trophies are in?
I seriously think that at this rate if a dev can't get trophies in the game it's a bit ridiculous at this point.

Firestorm

Teknoman said:
I would've jumped on Mirrors Edge, but apparently its pretty short..
Mirror's Edge is like 6 - 8 hours. That is a damn good length for an action game. If you're buying this instead of Mirror's Edge, you're probably buying the wrong game. So far Mirror's Edge has felt more like a 3D version of 2D Sonic than any video has shown for Unleashed. The speed you achieve feels fast but not too fast. The speeds are reached by acceleration at a normal pace, not 0-1000. There's tons of platforming and it's based on momentum. Alternate paths. As you get better, you get through the levels faster.

I am going to create a topic just to compare Mirror's Edge to Sonic once I'm done.

Firestorm

HUELEN10 said:
It better be once you are done with Sonic Unleashed and Mirror's Edge.....
We'll see. All I really want to do is point out how much Mirror's Edge does right and how well suited it is to Sonic fans.

For those who haven't pre-ordered anywhere yet, Amazon is a good bet. I just saw this on CAG.

It's $49.99 for 360/PS3/Wii version. Use the coupon code UNLEASH5 for $5 off that. You also get a $10 credit to use towards any future video game purchase on Amazon. It's essentially $35. As a bonus, it probably won't get to you Day 1 giving you time to cancel due to reviews and buyer's remorse!

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Firestorm said:
We'll see. All I really want to do is point out how much Mirror's Edge does right and how well suited it is to Sonic fans.

For those who haven't pre-ordered anywhere yet, Amazon is a good bet. I just saw this on CAG.

It's $49.99 for 360/PS3/Wii version. Use the coupon code UNLEASH5 for $5 off that. You also get a $10 credit to use towards any future video game purchase on Amazon. It's essentially $35. As a bonus, it probably won't get to you Day 1 giving you time to cancel due to reviews and buyer's remorse!
ME has too many instant death scenarios to truely relate to old-school Sonic fans, I feel.

RobbieNick

Brashnir said:
This game comes out in a couple days and there's not a single review anywhere for it?

Probably not a good sign.

Happens to lots of games. Especially those not considered high profile.

Fox

Banned
i don't understand why the wii preview on ign talks about the framerate issues in hd versions... in the 360 preview (still on ign) says that they're all gone and the game is always at 30fps.

._.

HUELEN10

Fox said:
i don't understand why the wii preview on ign talks about the framerate issues in hd versions... in the 360 preview (still on ign) says that they're all gone and the game is always at 30fps.

._.
Can't spell IGNorant without IGN.

Fox

Banned
HUELEN10 said:
Can't spell IGNorant without IGN.

that's a good answer :lol
but it is possible that people working for the same network don't know what each other have written on the "same" product? .-.

HUELEN10

Fox said:
but it is possible that people working for the same network don't know what each other have written on the "same" product? .-.
Entirely. Check out the Wii Sonic Riders: ZG review. It says you have to hold up to accelerate and that really bogs down the controls. In reality, you are always accelerating, you don't need to press up.

Firestorm

Fox said:
The Nintendo office and other IGN offices aren't in the same building or even city iirc.

HUELEN10

Firestorm said:
The Nintendo office and other IGN offices aren't in the same building or even city iirc.
Even if that might be the case, they should still read, or at least glance over the other columns' current views on a game, for the sake of professionalism if not for anything else.

Remeber, this is the same IGN who's "Hail to the chimp" review, before removal, actually said and I quote:
"From a hippo to a sloth to a squid(which technically isn't an animal),"

Seriously....

Now please, enough with IGN. Let us get back on track.

Yeah after looking at that preview I would agree with the fact, that the hub world appears to hinder the game. I dont really understand why we need it in games as of late, it always provides a break in action.

I actually am excited for the Werehog parts of it. This one will perhaps have the most interesting Sonic Story (well apart from Black Knight and Secret Rings, and Zero Gravity). If they can deliver it well, I hope.

I played some of this in Tokyo and I enjoyed it. The speed stuff is good if you approach it from a time-trial perspective rather than expecting traditional platformer. In a time-trial sense, it's actually pretty good, with QTEs that make sense and a feeling of awesomeness when you do a speedy section right without fucking up.

You can feel like you're on autopilot for sure, but it's not just a case of holding one button. To make a run that looks as good as those trailers will take more than holding a button. It's possible to look like ass while running, missing rings, mis-timing a lock-on jump, etc. I screwed up a few times while people were watching and it's embarrassing. However, when you succeed, you feel pretty cool. The aim of the speed levels is to not look like an ass, basically. I think it succeeds in that respect.

The Werehog stuff is solid. It's not mindblowing, but fuck, it's no more repetitive than, say, Dead Space. The combos are simple and there is some user-friendly Prince of Persia-style platforming to go on as well. I liked it.

Where I think Sega was clever was in its combining of the two types of gameplay. If it was one type of playstyle its own, I am certain this game would be boring. By combining two types of play that aren't exactly long-lasting on their own, my hope is that the game continues to be fresh. We'll see though.

My impressions are based on only two levels of play, one speed stage and one werehog stage. The rest of the game could be trash, but I can't say one way or another. I hold out hope that this will be a fun little game.

Teknoman

Jim Sterling said:
I played some of this in Tokyo and I enjoyed it. The speed stuff is good if you approach it from a time-trial perspective rather than expecting traditional platformer. In a time-trial sense, it's actually pretty good, with QTEs that make sense and a feeling of awesomeness when you do a speedy section right without fucking up.

You can feel like you're on autopilot for sure, but it's not just a case of holding one button. To make a run that looks as good as those trailers will take more than holding a button. It's possible to look like ass while running, missing rings, mis-timing a lock-on jump, etc. I screwed up a few times while people were watching and it's embarrassing. However, when you succeed, you feel pretty cool. The aim of the speed levels is to not look like an ass, basically. I think it succeeds in that respect.

The Werehog stuff is solid. It's not mindblowing, but fuck, it's no more repetitive than, say, Dead Space. The combos are simple and there is some user-friendly Prince of Persia-style platforming to go on as well. I liked it.

Where I think Sega was clever was in its combining of the two types of gameplay. If it was one type of playstyle its own, I am certain this game would be boring. By combining two types of play that aren't exactly long-lasting on their own, my hope is that the game continues to be fresh. We'll see though.

My impressions are based on only two levels of play, one speed stage and one werehog stage. The rest of the game could be trash, but I can't say one way or another. I hold out hope that this will be a fun little game.

You played the first two stages im guessing for each mode? I know Windmill Isle would be really easy to zip by UNLESS you want to find all medals, thats where the platforming and exploring comes in. Either way, nice impressions and glad that when people actually give the werehog a chance, they find its not all that bad.

index_r3_c1.jpg

Is that what you were talking about Firestorm?

As long as the day stages have a scoring system like SA2 I will be in heaven. The real fun of these 3D Sonic games comes from getting A (or S) ranks in every level.

JSnake

MiamiWesker said:
As long as the day stages have a scoring system like SA2 I will be in heaven. The real fun of these 3D Sonic games comes from getting A (or S) ranks in every level.

Pretty sure letter scores are in.

Indeed. You are scored on rings and time and some other stuff, and then you get a grade. It looks like getting a high ranking is pretty challenging, too.

Let it be good...pls gaming god...for the sake of mankind.

If it fails...the only thing to be capable of ressurecting my soul...is HD Sonic 1-3 and Sonic & Knuckles.

It...it...it cant faiiil!

What are you guys seeing that I'm not seeing in the IGN video? I watched the Wii ocean side stage and other than the occasional alternate path, the stages are empty and devoid of challenge. The enemies just stand still without any variety or attacks. No obstacles to get in your way to harm you. It really looks like the game is designed to let you run really fast with little to no interruptions like all the other Sonic games.

Cow Mengde said:
What are you guys seeing that I'm not seeing in the IGN video? I watched the Wii ocean side stage and other than the occasional alternate path, the stages are empty and devoid of challenge. The enemies just stand still without any variety or attacks. No obstacles to get in your way to harm you. It really looks like the game is designed to let you run really fast with little to no interruptions like all the other Sonic games.

Isnt that what people wanted, to run through with little obstacles and interactions and no challenge except for a final boss?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
DedicationThroughLight said:
Isnt that what people wanted, to run through with little obstacles and interactions and no challenge except for a final boss?

Yup.

I even remember people bitching in April when Unleashed shots were leaked showing barrels in paths.

DedicationThroughLight said:
No. And that's why I've had zero excitement for a Sonic game for a long time.

Andrex said:
Yup.

I even remember people bitching in April when Unleashed shots were leaked showing barrels in paths.
Consternation! You have wounded my pride, sir!

He basically ran through an entire stage without taking a single hit. There aren't even moments where if you're slow, you'd run into a spike trap causing you to lose your coins. Just ruuuuuuuuuuuuuuunnnnnnnnnn, and that's about it.

Teknoman

Cow Mengde said:
He basically ran through an entire stage without taking a single hit. There aren't even moments where if you're slow, you'd run into a spike trap causing you to lose your coins. Just ruuuuuuuuuuuuuuunnnnnnnnnn, and that's about it.

Wii version yes. HD versions no. Most people are pushing the HD versions as the "main" version of the game. The HD versions have more 2.5d sections than 3d, and even in both types of gameplay there are many obstacles, seperate paths, and hidden items.

9qfnu1.jpg

Teknoman

Actually I like how the 3d behind the back sections are mostly running and dodging. Its the basic way to reintroduce 3d Sonic without messing things up. The 2d sections have their fair share of rushing as well, but there are still sections with platforming and backtracking to go higher or lower.

Also whoever said Werehog was just mindless button bashing lied. I've seen the thing do cartwheel attacks, rapid kick attacks (like Kim Kaphwan from Fatal Fury), a drill forward dash attack, area of effect ground pounds, standard 3 hit slash combo, uppercut combos, straight punch combos, throwing enemies, and of course using enemy attacks against each other.

It might not be welcome by most Sonic fans, but it certainly doesnt look bad.

Linkified

Put this game on my lovefilm rent list. I could buy it but I don't want to be stung. Plus loads of other games on my shelf with me also possibly buying/renting tomb raider underworld and/or prince of persia.

Do we know yet if all shitty friends(i.e. Silver, Shadow, Amy Rose, etc) are going to be in this yet?

Also does every world on the next gen versions have a hub world?

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Nice to come back to the thread and see good discussion going on. I'd rather we be like that about the possibilities while watching videos and reading stuff than being Debbie Downers. Whatever if other games were crap, even if Unleashed turns out bad somehow at least I had fun waiting for it. And if it's good, win-win.

I'm with you on the Apotos daytime track, Huelen. (OT: I had it playing earlier today in the car when I was going up a mountain road and listening to it while looking at the valleys below was sweet.)

Hazaro said:
Also Mirror Edge 2D that was posted earlier!

http://www.bornegames.com/?page_id=369

Fun fun fun :D
Yeah, that was pretty good, I couldn't stop playing until I got everything in the demo. Thanks again, Sega1991.

Top Bottom