• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Sonic Unleashed Thread Of Either "Endless Possibility" Or Sonic-Cycling It!

Azure J

You know, for as much as I longed for the developers & art designers to go back to that trippy surrealistic fantasy world of the Genny Sonics, I really have to give them a good amount of credit for the implementation of the real world locales in Unleashed.

HUELEN10

RagnarokX said:
Well I checked a database of flags and the most logical country with that kind of flag is Thailand. It's got the same basic color pattern but no stars or dolphin.

2pu0nlu.jpg

30t1194.jpg
Interesting, however for Cambodia.....

a6f748ff.jpg

05427bcf.png

Could it be a little of both?

Firestorm said:
Worse than Sonic and the Secret Rings isn't what I wanted to hear to be honest. Who was the reviewer anyway?
Not the same reviewer, that much I can tell you. The NP crew is completely different now from when SaTSR was released, so I don't think that's a fair comparison.

Teknoman

Hitlersaurus Christ said:
Not the same reviewer, that much I can tell you. The NP crew is completely different now from when SaTSR was released, so I don't think that's a fair comparison.

Well thats a good thing.

Some impressions from another forum.

I don't think anyone who goes in wanting to hate it is going to be swayed to be honest. And anyone who's expecting Sonic 2 type goodness is deluding themselves. It's derivative and it's hardly going to make anyone go "OMGZ TEH SONICZ IZ BAK."

But I'll be damned if it isn't a lot of fun. That quote from Destructoid is pretty spot on about the WereHog sections. They are pretty much a rip-off of God of War, right down to the QTEs that can finish off enemies and block pulling puzzles. But it's a pretty good ripoff nonetheless. I've come across a couple of dodgy placed checkpoints meaning you have to redo annoyingly drawn out bits if you come a cropper later on. Badly placed checkpoints are one of my pet hates in video games, really can't abide them. So I hope they aren't too many that are irritating, that could really spoil it for me.

The normal Sonic sections I'm less sure about. They are outrageously fast and so much of the time you don't actually feel in control, but there are times when quick fingers can have you pounding through the stage. I think that the game controls it enough that pretty much anyone can blast through the level going "ooohhh isn't it fast" but there is just enough control for the dedicated to learn each stage and go for the A grade. I think it may be the spectacle of it (it looks pretty gorgeous throughout actually) which is impressing me at the moment, so it'll be interesting to see whether that wears off after a few more stages.

The cutscenes have been a bit on the long side so far, but in fairness they are pretty well done in a 'Saturday morning cartoon' kind of way.

I'm impressed so far, there's a nagging suspicion that it might end up getting repetitive but I'm not that far in and I'm hoping Sonic Team can surprise me!

It's definitely not ****. But if the thought of cutscenes and Sonic turning into a WereHog and fighting things is enough to make you want to puke, then you may want to give it a miss!

Personally I don't care, I just wanted a fun game, which it has been so far. 'Pure' Sonic is gone on home consoles. I'm not sure it's ever coming back. I'm over it.

I shouldn't go into too much detail here. But when I say 'action' stages (as they're called in the game) I mean the Sonic race bits and the Werehog sections. But to get into these proper levels, you have to fart about in the hub worlds and have a certain amount of collectables. There's a truly awful structure decision that has spoiled an otherwise pretty fun game.

I wouldn't call the game ****, that would be going too far. It's actually quite good in places.

Anny was more or less right about why I've changed my tune, but it's not down to the Werehog.

Teknoman

Cow Mengde said:
Some impressions from another forum.

As long as its fun, not glitchy, maintains a consistant framerate, and controls well, its a purchase for me. Soundtrack has already proved itself worthy. That and its the first main series console Sonic game to have acts since... Sonic 3d blast?

EDIT: Sega FTP took down all the trailers?

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
I shouldn't go into too much detail here. But when I say 'action' stages (as they're called in the game) I mean the Sonic race bits and the Werehog sections. But to get into these proper levels, you have to fart about in the hub worlds and have a certain amount of collectables. There's a truly awful structure decision that has spoiled an otherwise pretty fun game.
I wonder how having or not a hub will change the overall feel of the game's versions.

RagnarokX said:
That's cuz it is :p
Well, I don't think there's a water palace in Mykonos like there's in Rush, but it would be cool if they put it in Apotos. :D

AzureJericho said:
You know, for as much as I longed for the developers & art designers to go back to that trippy surrealistic fantasy world of the Genny Sonics, I really have to give them a good amount of credit for the implementation of the real world locales in Unleashed.
It didn't feel righ to me at first either but now I dig the concept. And the real world based locations look so neat.

HUELEN10

RagnarokX said:
Former capital of Thailand:
otkl83.jpg

05427bcf.png

Definitely Thailand.
Duly noted. THanks.

So as of right now.....

Apotos is Greece's Mykonos
Spagonia is San Marino, a landlocked country inside Italy.
Mazuri is Mali, I mean......
d5d43d71.jpg

a12991fb.jpg

right?

Adabat is Thailand
Empire City is New York USA
Chun-Nan is China, but what part is it?
Shamar is definitely Jordan.

Holaska is the Arctic, along with Humpback Whales and all that Jazz.

Nintendo Power gave Sonic Unleashed an 8/10. The same score they gave Shadow the Hedgehog for those who are wondering. But that's okay with me because I actually enjoyed Shadow the Hedgehog >.>

NTom64

Nice work with the location matching there, fellas.

The realistic levels actually really mesh well with the Sonic model, enemies etc. thanks to the whole graphical style, IMO.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
From the review summary in the NP thread:

-shallow menu-based exploration elements that serve almost no purpose
Can someone explain this one to me? The Wii version has no hub but I'm not really understanding how this "menu-based exploration" goes on.

HUELEN10

Fuu said:
From the review summary in the NP thread:

Can someone explain this one to me? The Wii version has no hub but I'm not really understanding how this "menu-based exploration" goes on.
Apparently it is like Sonic Rush Adventure, but a lot more tedious.

NTom64

claviertekky said:
http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&x=0...s=sonic unleashed&url=search-alias=videogames

$50 for Current Gen. - $10 off for future video game Amazon purchases.

$30 for the PS2 version.

Enter UNLEASH5 for an extra $5 off (You'll see the difference when you reach the final page of checkout.)

I'm tempted to buy this, but this game only has 9 levels?

It's 8 levels (the 9th is like Last Story in the other games), split up into 2 acts (day and night, with possibly more acts), with a boss stage. Add extra optional missions like the Tornado levels etc. where you can play as other characters, plus unlockable stages by collecting the sun and moon coins in the regular levels.

So 16, at the very least.

Also there's been hints of retro levels remade using the Hedgehog engine, but don't take that as fact lol.

HUELEN10

NTom64 said:
It's 8 levels (the 9th is like Last Story in the other games), split up into 2 acts (day and night, with possibly more acts), with a boss stage. Add extra optional missions like the Tornado levels etc. where you can play as other characters, plus unlockable stages by collecting the sun and moon coins in the regular levels.

So 16, at the very least.

Also there's been hints of retro levels remade using the Hedgehog engine, but don't take that as fact lol.
source?

RagnarokX

solid2snake said:
4u0i29w.jpg

you're not alone dude. i didn't play a good Sonic main-title in years. fuck, if Unleashed sucks, just remake Sonic Adventure 1 with the Hedgehog Engine.
2eft1j9.gif

I couldn't resist.

They kinda tried to remake Adventure with Sonic 06 and that didn't turn out so hot. They really should return to the Genesis style.

HUELEN10

RagnarokX, you rule. Dammit, we need an avatar section...

I need to make some nice static ones, as that is all I know how to make.

Here is one if anyone wants it.

8d5f50f0.png

ShadiWulf

HUELEN10 said:

8d5f50f0.png

haha thats cool! i'll use it as my avatar if you dont mind.

RagnarokX

HUELEN10 said:

8d5f50f0.png
Well I also made these. Oh boredom...

Firestorm..........Andrex...........Teknoman.............Fuu
oh4h1t.gif
301mx4o.jpg
2cqjptk.jpg
2qc1apk.jpg

HUELEN10 said:
My guess is that a 360 Demo will be "Unleashed" the 19th of this Month.
Har.

Really, I'm not sure if that's a good thing. That sounds to me a lot like "well, we put out a demo for Sonic 2K6 and a ton of people hated it, which might be why it sold terribly, so we're just putting the game out this time with no demo to try and avoid that." :(

That quote from Destructoid is pretty spot on about the WereHog sections. They are pretty much a rip-off of God of War, right down to the QTEs that can finish off enemies and block pulling puzzles.
Awesome, the things I hate most about God of War, now with an awful bastardization of Sonic!

HUELEN10

SolidSnakex said:
I just went rewatched it. When he's asked about remakes of old Sonic levels he pauses and says "That is a good question. I think you'll just have to stay tuned.".
I doubt we will see any "Classic" Remakes though....

Maybe Newer Sonic levels though....

Teknoman

RagnarokX said:

oh4h1t.gif
301mx4o.jpg
2cqjptk.jpg
2qc1apk.jpg

I was just about to ask for one too :lol

HUELEN10 said:
I doubt we will see any "Classic" Remakes though....

Maybe Newer Sonic levels though....

I dunno, who expected Green Hill Zone in Sonic Adventure 2? Or even Sunset Hill in...Sonic Advance 2?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
RagnarokX said:

oh4h1t.gif
301mx4o.jpg
2cqjptk.jpg
2qc1apk.jpg

:eek:

Someone cares about me! <3 Switching now.

Also, some food for thought:

1. I posted this in the Black Knight Soundtrack thread, but no one saw it so I'll just post it here:

Andrex said:
Uhh, hrmm... well I found something interesting.

Apparently, Crush40 did a cover of Seven Rings in Hand. If anyone's interested, it's the second song on their MySpace playlist.

Also, they uploaded a "live, in-studio" version of Knight of the Wind, with the extended intro to YouTube. To be honest, it isn't too hot (especially towards the end), but it's still neat nonetheless. Their YouTube account also has some of their other songs done like this.

Overall, I'm getting really excited for this game's soundtrack already. Hope it somehow manages to come out in the states, or at least for download.

2. I think the Wii version is going to sell. A lot. It was featured in all of today's flyer's gaming sections if they had them, surely being a month ahead of the PS3 version will help, but what's strange is I didn't see the 360 version at all. That is coming out two days afterwards, right? I think this has the potential to outsell even Secret Rings because of the advertising, holiday season, etc.

ShadiWulf

Andrex said:
:eek:

Someone cares about me! <3 Switching now.

Also, some food for thought:

1. I posted this in the Black Knight Soundtrack thread, but no one saw it so I'll just post it here:

2. I think the Wii version is going to sell. A lot. It was featured in all of today's flyer's gaming sections if they had them, surely being a month ahead of the PS3 version will help, but what's strange is I didn't see the 360 version at all. That is coming out two days afterwards, right? I think this has the potential to outsell even Secret Rings because of the advertising, holiday season, etc.

Stores advertise what versions they think will sell the most. Most retail outlets see Sonic as a kiddy game so they automaticly think "Wii!" as a lightbulb goes off in their head.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
ShadiWulf said:
Stores advertise what versions they think will sell the most. Most retail outlets see Sonic as a kiddy game so they automaticly think "Wii!" as a lightbulb goes off in their head.

Ah, that's it then. I thought the 360 version's release date had changed.

Off topic but I'd buy a PC port of the HD version even though I'm getting the Wii version this week. Both look really fun.

Yeah it's funny.

I was at Best Buy (in Canada) yesterday, and I looked at each console's section, and only Wii Unleashed had its placeholder box shown!

It had the back of the box shown as well (at least a temporary one) that's different than the PAL back boxes shown a bit ago at Woolworths.

For one thing, that Adabat shot on the Wii box was replaced by a Shamar shot with an upclose shot of Sonic drifting towards the camera, similar to that shot of Missouri (sp?) 360 stage when the game was leaked originally!

The problem? The shot is obviously ages old as Sonic has a circle shadow in it! :mad:

I HATE it when a box shows shots of an outdated build, especially when something as horribly obvious as the shot I just mentioned. Sonic has a normal shadow, yet the show a shot of him with a circle one.. UP CLOSE!!! :/

Oh well, it's just the box, no biggie I guess...

Andrex said:

Apparently, Crush40 did a cover of Seven Rings in Hand. If anyone's interested, it's the second song on their MySpace playlist.

Also, they uploaded a "live, in-studio" version of Knight of the Wind, with the extended intro to YouTube. To be honest, it isn't too hot (especially towards the end), but it's still neat nonetheless. Their YouTube account also has some of their other songs done like this.

The Seven Rings in Hand cover has been out for almost a year now, it was on True Blue. The album also featured a sneak preview of the Brawl version of Angel Island, a remastered version of Live & learn and What I've Made Of, and a remake of Open Your Heart featuring Bentley Jones.

I also like Night of the Wind more than endless possibilities. Something about EP reminds me of a cover Sum 41 band.

HUELEN10

ShadiWulf said:
True....

But wait! When I saw store flyers from Sega Superstars Tennis, all of them had the 360 version....

Weird!

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Hero of Legend said:
Yeah it's funny.

I was at Best Buy (in Canada) yesterday, and I looked at each console's section, and only Wii Unleashed had its placeholder box shown!

It had the back of the box shown as well (at least a temporary one) that's different than the PAL back boxes shown a bit ago at Woolworths.

For one thing, that Adabat shot on the Wii box was replaced by a Shamar shot with an upclose shot of Sonic drifting towards the camera, similar to that shot of Missouri (sp?) 360 stage when the game was leaked originally!

The problem? The shot is obviously ages old as Sonic has a circle shadow in it! :mad:

I HATE it when a box shows shots of an outdated build, especially when something as horribly obvious as the shot I just mentioned. Sonic has a normal shadow, yet the show a shot of him with a circle one.. UP CLOSE!!! :/

Oh well, it's just the box, no biggie I guess...

It's also only the placeholder box, no? :p

Also apparently Amazon has a Black Knight preorder page up, with (dun dun dun) placeholder boxart! :eek:

HUELEN10 said:
True....

But wait! When I saw store flyers from Sega Superstars Tennis, all of them had the 360 version....

Weird!

Yeah I saw that too. Weird...

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
AwakenedCloud said:
The Seven Rings in Hand cover has been out for almost a year now, it was on True Blue. The album also featured a sneak preview of the Brawl version of Angel Island, a remastered version of Live & learn and What I've Made Of, and a remake of Open Your Heart featuring Bentley Jones.

I also like Night of the Wind more than endless possibilities. Something about EP reminds me of a cover Sum 41 band.

Knight of the Wind is fricking catchy as hell, but I like Endless Possibilites too. I even have EP on my Zune (last song under Plays, #10 under Recent Plays). I don't like the middle (the Werehog transformation part in the E3 trailer), but other than that it's catchy too.

I have to pay more attention to Sonic soundtracks now, it seems.

HUELEN10

Andrex said:
Knight of the Wind is fricking catchy as hell, but I like Endless Possibilites too. I even have EP on my Zune (last song under Plays, #10 under Recent Plays). I don't like the middle (the Werehog transformation part in the E3 trailer), but other than that it's catchy too.

Yeah, I dislike the middle part of EP as well.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Hitlersaurus Christ said:
This is not true either. I'm not sure why I have to keep repeating myself but its mostly the same staff and more importantly the same reviewer (or at least the Sonic reviewer is still with the team).

MarkusRJR

Andrex said:

Overall, I'm getting really excited for this game's soundtrack already. Hope it somehow manages to come out in the states, or at least for download.
Wow. Their version of Seven Rings in Hand actually isn't that bad. :eek:

HUELEN10

grandjedi6 said:
This is not true either. I'm not sure why I have to keep repeating myself but its mostly the same staff and more importantly the same reviewer (or at least the Sonic reviewer is still with the team).
Exactly. I will put the NP review up in the review section, but we need something with more weight was well.

Firestorm

RagnarokX said:

Firestorm
oh4h1t.gif
I want to use this but I shall wait to see if the game is worth this or not. I do not want to viral avatar market a game that doesn't deserve it!
Edit: Ah screw it. The avatar is too awesome.
Edit2: oops. I'm gonna have to find the time to resize before I use it.

HUELEN10

Firestorm said:
I want to use this but I shall wait to see if the game is worth this or not. I do not want to viral avatar market a game that doesn't deserve it!
Edit: Ah screw it. The avatar is too awesome.
Edit2: oops. I'm gonna have to find the time to resize before I use it.
It is ready to use......

Sciz

Andrex said:
Ah, that's it then. I thought the 360 version's release date had changed.

Off topic but I'd buy a PC port of the HD version even though I'm getting the Wii version this week. Both look really fun.
Sega Europe has been pretty good about doing PC ports of the decent titles in the series, though they're invariably released well after the fact. Assuming the game doesn't bomb, I wouldn't be surprised to see one crop up a few months later.

Andrex said:

Let me help you with that. ;p

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Actually I'm pointing a stop to this "NP gave the latest Sonic games a...." excuse once and for all since I know someone else will bring it up. So since Nintendo Power "reinvention":

Sonic Riders -- 8/10
Sonic Riders: Zero Gravity -- 7/10
Sonic Gems Collection -- 8.5/10
Sonic the Hedgehog Genesis -- 6/10
Sonic Rush -- 9/10
Sonic Rush Adventure -- 9/10
Sonic Chronicles -- 8/10
Shadow the Hedgehog -- 8/10
Sonic and the Secret Rings -- 8.5/10

Their mean score for Sonic games is a 8/10. They gave the highest score for 4 of the games and were near the top for the rest. Even the abysmal and glitchy Sonic Genesis got at least a 6/10 from them, which is far above the other reviews. So yes the latest Sonic game got a 8/10, whoop-de-doo. But that means squat when you look at the magazine's history.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Sciz said:
Sega Europe has been pretty good about doing PC ports of the decent titles in the series, though they're invariably released well after the fact. Assuming the game doesn't bomb, I wouldn't be surprised to see one crop up a few months later.

I hope so, I have a pretty capable PC right now and I've practically dreamed of the HD versions after the debut and High Europe trailers, I just can't do PS3 or 360 right now.

If there is no PC port, and I do get another console down the line, and reviews for them do hold up, Sonic Unleashed will be one of the first games I get for it. :D

Sciz said:

:eek: Thanks.

I like Crush40 though. A lot, actually. I'm surprised too.

HUELEN10

grandjedi6 said:
Actually I'm pointing a stop to this "NP gave the latest Sonic games a...." excuse once and for all since I know someone else will bring it up. So since Nintendo Power "reinvention":

Sonic Riders -- 8/10
Sonic Riders: Zero Gravity -- 7/10
Sonic Gems Collection -- 8.5/10
Sonic the Hedgehog Genesis -- 6/10
Sonic Rush -- 9/10
Sonic Rush Adventure -- 9/10
Sonic Chronicles -- 8/10
Shadow the Hedgehog -- 8/10
Sonic and the Secret Rings -- 8.5/10

Their mean score for Sonic games is a 8/10. They gave the highest score for 4 of the games and were near the top for the rest. Even the abysmal and glitchy Sonic Genesis got at least a 6/10 from them, which is far above the other reviews. So yes the latest Sonic game got a 8/10, whoop-de-doo. But that means squat when you look at the magazine's history.

To be fair, some of those title arguably DO deserve those scores. The Sonic Rush games, and Gems come to mind.

Top Bottom