• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official THQ Auction Results [Up2: Purchase Prices, Runner-Ups Revealed]

scitek

Deep Silver smelled real success with Dead Island. It makes sense that they would use this to try to establish an even bigger presence.

Snatching up Volition and getting a 3 million+ unit selling franchise certainly does that.

Do they not get Red Faction as well?

javac

Sure let's say they allowed that to happen. Wouldn't the outcome be the same? Vigil will be shuttered and never make another game again, and all their employees would be laid off. Unless you can afford to keep the studio going?

If only... :(

Kifimbo

No serious bid by Warner Bros. for Volition/SR leads me to believe either Rocksteady or WB Montreal is working on an open-world game.

Concept17

This could potentially be the best result for Volition and Saints Row. Let's just hope they have enough freedom to produce something spectacular.

Yup, I can't say I know anything about Koch but it sounds like a solid deal. They obviously realized their value with their much higher bid.

How should we feel about Relic?

Can Crytek make Homefront a real fps game? Will it just become a variant of Crysis/crytek engine?

AHA-Lambda

I'm sure this was brought up, but I'm just coming in. Do you think Patrice feels weird? How strange is it that he now works for Ubisoft again.

Bring him back to AC, bring him back!

I don't know why, but I love seeing Deep Silver, essentially, dropping in for Volition and Metro. I have a soft spot for Deep Silver.

Yeah I really do feel like Ubi just wanted him back, especially after Ubi sued THQ over hiring him.

dionysus

Yaldog
This could potentially be the best result for Volition and Saints Row. Let's just hope they have enough freedom to produce something spectacular.

Seeing as Deep Silver is a primarily Euro PC publisher that funds games like Risen and publishes the awesome X series, I doubt creative freedom is going to be a problem.

Publisher is Deep Silver. they did a couple of big games recently. Volition will be their #1 dev studio now, and Saints Row will be their #1 game.

wouldn't they consider dead island and techland to be their number 1 title and dev studio? they banked a lot on dead island and it paid off in spades.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
So here is the Ubisoft PR:
http://montreal.ubisoft.com/en/ubisoft-our-news/ubisoft-acquires-thq-montreal

UBISOFT ACQUIRES THQ MONTREAL
Company Also Acquires Rights To South Park: The Stick Of Truth

Montreal – January 23, 2013 – Today, Ubisoft announced the acquisition of THQ Montreal as well as the publishing rights for the upcoming South Park: The Stick of Truth video game, being developed externally by Obsidian.

“This deal adds experienced developers to our internal creative teams at a key moment in the cycle of the video game industry,” said Yannis Mallat, president of Ubisoft Montreal.

THQ Montreal
In addition to the team at THQ Montreal, Ubisoft also acquired a new, yet-to-be announced IP in development at the studio. THQ Montreal will join Ubisoft’s development teams, already the second-largest in-house development staff in the world with 26 studios in 19 countries and more than 6,250 people dedicated to video game production.

South Park: The Stick of Truth
South Park: The Stick of Truth is being developed by Obsidian Entertainment, the studio behind Fallout: New Vegas, and is scheduled for release in calendar 2013.

This acquisition has no material impact on Ubisoft’s current fiscal year (2012/13).

Disclaimer

This statement may contain estimated financial data, information on future projects and transactions and future business results/performance. Such forward-looking data are provided for estimation purposes only. They are subject to market risks and uncertainties and may vary significantly compared with the actual results that will be published. The estimated financial data have been presented to the Board of Directors and have not been audited by the Statutory Auditors. (Additional information is specified in the most recent Ubisoft Registration Document filed on July 02, 2012 with the French Financial Markets Authority (l’Autorité des Marchés Financiers)).

AHA-Lambda

So after getting an apparent $100m from this auction, what is THQ's current debt situation?

"Calendar 2013" for South Park? Ruh-roh.

It was always considered this.

“This deal adds experienced developers to our internal creative teams at a key moment in the cycle of the video game industry,” said Yannis Mallat, president of Ubisoft Montreal.

Hi Patrice.

South Park: The Stick of Truth
South Park: The Stick of Truth is being developed by Obsidian Entertainment, the studio behind Fallout: New Vegas, and is scheduled for release in calendar 2013.

come on. :/

duckroll

That's a good thing. They're likely giving Obsidian more time to work on it.

Maybe they don't want to commit to anything in a PR without having a producer go down to Obsidian to have a closer understanding of the state of the game, what would be best for the product, and when would be the best time to release it.

Goddammit Ubisoft, if there is just one trace of your uPlay garbage in South Park...

Vigil's death doesn't bother me all that much seeing as Joe Madureira bailed last year, and even if the studio were bought I'd imagine the tepid consumer response to Darksiders 2 would have dampened any hopes of a third instalment.

You're right but under a competent publisher I think they could have made a great sequel. They seemed very talented as evident by several parts of Darksiders 1 and 2 but just not very focused. Oh well.

V_Ben

Banned
Maybe they don't want to commit to anything in a PR without having a producer go down to Obsidian to have a closer understanding of the state of the game, what would be best for the product, and when would be the best time to release it.

That too.

1-D_FTW

This is a depressing little story.

I'm a terrible person, cause I laughed at this.

Honestly, though, this is probably for the best. Turtle Rock has never struck me as very focused. I think it'd just evaporate had they won it. Hopefully Take 2 just lets them continue working on it and provides Turtle Rock with a little guidance here and there to keep them on the rails.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
"We would like to take this opportunity to welcome Patrice Désilets back to the family."

Here's hoping they can bring him on board with fixing Assassin's Creed while he does his own game, if he doesn't just leave again I guess lol.

There's some interesting stuff in the runner-up data:

1) I get Homefront and unseen games having only one bidder, but South Park? With a release in a month? There's got to be a expectation of sales that makes at least throwing one's hat in the ring worthwhile.

2) Sega and Zenimax had really close valuations of Relic, and I'm sure Sega will take it in a much different direction than Bethesda would have.

3) Mentioned already, but heartbreaking to see by how much Turtle Rock got outbid on their own IP. At least they should have a good home with Take Two.

AHA-Lambda

THQ delayed it from that date a while ago and declared it as FY2014 (April 2013-March 2014).

THQ did declare they only expected a delay of a few months from the March date, but strictly speaking South Park hasn't been delayed at all.

Here's hoping they can bring him on board with fixing Assassin's Creed while he does his own game, if he doesn't just leave again I guess lol.

As much as he might not want to, if Patrice does work on AC again, it might get the series back on track and get me interested in it again.

DocSeuss

Vigil's death doesn't bother me all that much seeing as Joe Madureira bailed last year, and even if the studio were bought I'd imagine the tepid consumer response to Darksiders 2 would have dampened any hopes of a third instalment.

While I'm conflicted after Darksiders 2 (I both enjoyed and disliked the game), I am sad to see a bunch of people leave. Plus, they were working on a Chaos Marine game, last I heard.

--

Seriously, what happens to the stuff nobody bid on? Where goes Homeworld?

Games Workshop made it pretty clear in their earlier objection to the potential sale of their license that they only trust Relic. I thought it was a strange claim, but who knows

Games Workshop has made it very clear in the past that they will only give someone the license if they agree that GW maintains absolute creative control and final say on anything that happens. Relic was the only who knew enough about the universe to feel comfortable handing over that control. GW would probably feel pretty beholden to Relic as well given that while their primary venture of tabletop games has seen only stagnant growth these last few years videogames have seen increasing growth and profitably for them.

Grisby

Man, watching all of this unfold has been crazy. I feel like the news surrounding the events of THQ have been going on forever.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
This made me sad:

Evolve
(title in development at Turtle Rock Studios)
Winning bidder: Take-Two Interactive, $10.894 million.
Runner-up: Turtle Rock Studios, $250,000.

Developer can't even buy the rights to its own game. Damn.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
THQ delayed it from that date a while ago and declared it as FY2014 (April 2013-March 2014).

THQ did declare they only expected a delay of a few months from the March date, but strictly speaking South Park hasn't been delayed at all.

Ah, so it was. Apparently, somebody forgot to tell Valve!

Top Bottom