• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official THQ Auction Results [Up2: Purchase Prices, Runner-Ups Revealed]

If anything, Volition couldn't really have hoped for a better outcome. Koch Media will most likely just have Volition do whatever they want as long as they can put out profitable products. EA and Ubisoft on the other hand would be way more involved with the production phase of their games and change things Koch Media would never object to.

This is what I'm hoping for, but it just seems like such a Wild Card.

Derrick01

Banned
Yeah, that game looks expensive. Like, Sega seems to be tossing a lot of money and resources into it. Which is awesome.

Pretty sure the budget for the game is triple what it was on Shogun 2 and it's by far the most expensive game in the series so far. They're revamping everything.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
uPlay in South Park :(

It's better than an Origin Exclusive at least.

it's like comparing pee and poop.

honestly both sucks big time, I'll have to change my order to one of the console version to avoid that uplay crap(I don't buy EA games on PC just to avoid Origin).

trinest

What is with the hate for Origin, its a fine service now. Yeah it doesn't have much traction, but they have pretty much made it a Steam compeditor on features and quality (just not price). As for uPlay, Ubisoft seems to be downplaying how uPlay works and making it simpler in general, that and consoles have some form of uplay anyway these days.

Will this affect any of the digital forms that are available?

Say for an example on Steam if you have Darksiders 1 but have it uninstalled, will we be able to install it in the future?

Or for an example will Darksiders 2 still be available on Steam if I wait for it later?

;x?

Usually when games are taken away you can still download them if you own them, but no one else can buy them.

duckroll

Doesn't 10 million dollars seem like too much for Evolve when you have entire studio, with what seems like an IP with a bright future going for a little over 20 million?

No. It's really not because it's a game which has been in development for a few years, and obviously seems promising to the publisher that is interested. While IPs with "bright futures" and having an entire studio is a good investment, it doesn't really mean much in actual dollars in a sale like this. The studios which got bought for over 20 million were those with a game in those IPs in development, and some are almost done. That's what makes them attractive - there's something which can be released within 1-2 years.

Again, note that Vigil had no bids, even though they are an entire studio with experienced staff, and presumably some promising IP to go along with it (Crawler?). Also keep in mind that for studio purchases, buying the studio is one thing, having to keep funding it and paying everyone there is another. That's why Montreal's bid was so low. The cost of running that studio is insane. :p

Read the question again. There would be no chance of anything if Turtle Rock weren't "self sufficient enough to float the title around to find a new publisher".

Oh yeah, I agree there. The fact that they can afford to put in a 250k bid is a sign they have cash resources too. I'm just questioning the outcome. Being able to continue operating and developing the game is one thing. Being able to actually find a publisher is another.

BasilZero

What is with the hate for Origin, its a fine service now. Yeah it doesn't have much traction, but they have pretty much made it a Steam compeditor on features and quality (just not price). As for uPlay, Ubisoft seems to be downplaying how uPlay works and making it simpler in general, that and consoles have some form of uplay anyway these days.

Usually when games are taken away you can still download them if you own them, but no one else can buy them.

Ah thanks for the response.

I guess I should be getting Darksiders 2 soon on Steam or else get it for PS3 since those are the platforms I have.

Speaking of Origin I should get it for the Mass Effect Trilogy on Origin ;p.

Omikaru

Does anyone have any info about what happened to Double Fine's two games? Weren't they going to participate in the auctions to win back the IP/publishing rights to Stacking and Costume Quest?

Derrick01

Banned

They don't have hardly any feature that Steam has, including the ones they've added since Origin was created name changed.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Oh yeah, I agree there. The fact that they can afford to put in a 250k bid is a sign they have cash resources too. I'm just questioning the outcome. Being able to continue operating and developing the game is one thing. Being able to actually find a publisher is another.

Certainly. As you imply, even if Turtle Rock had won the bid, it's quite likely that the project would have met an ill fate anyway as it going ignored at an auction is a strong indicator of publisher disinterest. But at least, even in that case, there's the silver lining of TR owning the IP, leaving open the possibility of revisiting it at a later date.

sflufan

Banned
Does anyone have any info about what happened to Double Fine's two games? Weren't they going to participate in the auctions to win back the IP/publishing rights to Stacking and Costume Quest?

This auction was primarily for IPs/studios that had projects in development. Those other IPs are called "legacy IPs" and will more than likely be sold during the rest of the Chapter 11 proceedings.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search

Its not IP rights since Double Fine owns those. As for publishing rights, we have no idea, though THQ did say that existing publishing deals/etc will be dealt with through the bankruptcy.

I imagine that even if no one picks up the publishing rights to those games during bankruptcy (and who ever would?) that it'll revert to Double Fine anyway due to the bankruptcy.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Saints Row is one of my favorite franchises and I just wouldn't want things to go the wrong way or change radically with a new publisher, I thought Volition, Inc. and THQ were a good fit.

seeing the crazy Dead island CE,I think Deep Silver is a good fit for Volition.

AkuMifune

Banned
Saints Row is one of my favorite franchises and I just wouldn't want things to go the wrong way or change radically with a new publisher, I thought Volition, Inc. and THQ were a good fit.
I think Deep Silver will be way more hands off than any of the other options. Has to be the best outcome.

Hope metro comes out on time, now with wicked pre order bonus!

PaulLFC

it's like comparing pee and poop.

honestly both sucks big time, I'll have to change my order to one of the console version to avoid that uplay crap(I don't buy EA games on PC just to avoid Origin).
There is no avoiding Uplay, unfortunately. It'll be in the console versions too if they include it.

Jenga

Banned
sega gets relic = awesome

deep silver gets metro + volition = awesome

crytek gets zzzz = zzzz

take 2 gets evolve = eeeh

ubisoft gets south park = eeeehh

really happy with the first two

GMM

Banned

Origin is not the worst D2D platform, but it's EA itself that is the problem for me, they are so anti-consumer and constantly try to force consumers into only using their services rather than an independent competitor.

I don't really mind uPlay that much since they actually try to offer consumers things that enhance the gaming experience like cloud saves and draconian DRM solutions (truth be told, i never had issues with Ubisoft DRM). The most important difference between uPlay and Origin is that the core game is freely sold through multiple services without the need for a seperate storefront client in order to run the game.

I own a ton of Ubisoft games on Steam and i will continue to buy their PC games on Steam. EA will not let me use the platform of my choice and therefore i will never want to support Origin.

Jenga

Banned
oh shit zenimax almost got relic

thank god for sega, pheeeeeww

ubisoft almost getting metro was another close call

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Just to provide a better source so that people will believe me that THQ doesn't own Double Fine's IPs:
A Double Fine representative told GameSpot, "Double Fine owns the full intellectual property rights to Costume Quest and Stacking. However, THQ retains certain limited distribution rights that have not expired yet, and we are exploring our options with respect to those."
http://www.gamespot.com/news/double-fine-interested-in-thq-assets-6402301

Omikaru

Just to provide a better source so that people will believe me that THQ doesn't own Double Fine's IPs:

http://www.gamespot.com/news/double-fine-interested-in-thq-assets-6402301

That's good to hear. I was worried that those games may be lost in some bulk sale if one of the big pubs comes along and harvests a bunch of IP in a bundle or something. I don't know how these things work or how THQ's properties were going to be sold. Good to see the DF games aren't at risk, anyway.

I guess it's likely that what publishing/distribution rights THQ has left of the DF games will be left alone, and will just revert back to Double Fine.

Lime

I wonder why all the bids were all so low? I imagined that publishers would be more eager to get their hands on million-sellers like Saint's Row or an almost finished game like South Park.

Maybe the financial state of games publishers aren't as healthy as I thought :/

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Well, the fanbase is pretty large for South Park. But I wonder what the % of that plays video games.

Do you think they will sell 100,000 copies?

If they literally just ship it to market right now, that's about all they'd have to sell to make their money back.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Maybe the financial state of games publishers aren't as healthy as we think

We went over this a bit in the other thread. Most of them have $500-$1 billion in the bank.

The royalty agreement seems pretty toxic though on that product in terms of profit generation, but you know, at $3 million it's *totally* worth it.

Toppot

WpBgY.png

They made some good games, will miss seeing the logo in future. Glad a lot where saved from the can, poor Virgil.

Top Bottom