• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official THQ Auction Results [Up2: Purchase Prices, Runner-Ups Revealed]

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
No. It's really not because it's a game which has been in development for a few years, and obviously seems promising to the publisher that is interested. While IPs with "bright futures" and having an entire studio is a good investment, it doesn't really mean much in actual dollars in a sale like this. The studios which got bought for over 20 million were those with a game in those IPs in development, and some are almost done. That's what makes them attractive - there's something which can be released within 1-2 years.

It also helps when you helped create one of the most successful shooters and coop games of last gen.

Sulik2

After seeing that sale price for Saints Row 4 Brad needs to change his pick for 2011 GOTY saints row 3 was 20 million dollars good.

I am fairly happy with how this turned out. EA Activision didn't get anyone and the studios that were bought were good matches to publishers. Surprised no one picked up Vigil but apparently darksiders really did sell that badly

Rikkun

LOL @ PG saving GAF's day.

I totally hate Darksiders and didn't bother with Darksiders 2, but under Platinum Games...

~Kinggi~

Banned
1358989273698muzup.png

1358990512502gabh1.png

Everybody chill the fuck out.

Platinum, god bless

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Polygon has new details about the proceedings that happened in the courtroom today.

http://www.polygon.com/2013/1/23/3907840/thq-bankruptcy-vigil-bids

Oh and it looks like Sega is getting the Warhammer 40K license at some point.

Lawyers for companies like 505 Games, South Park Digital Studios, Viacom, Crytek, Games Workshop, Yuke's, and others — all companies that had business relationships with THQ — were either present in person or on a conference call to acknowledge the resolution of their objections. Many will carry over to new relationships; for example, Games Workshop will "work in good faith" with Sega — the new owner of Relic, the studio that created titles based on its intellectual property — in order to satisfy its objections to the sale.

big_z

Saints row guys went to a good home right? Never heard of kock.

Sucks about darksiders but if something happens with platinum it might turn out fine.

Screw Saints Row, who got the udraw license???

They should dump it on ubisoft. The branding already works for them.

This has probably been covetred somewhere in these threads but if Vigil and THq are both dead what becomes of the Darksiders license? Is it just floating around in IP purgatory? And does the game now get pulled from download services? I only ask because oddly enough I noticed last night that Sony is offering DS1 free for PS+ subscribers this month.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
This has probably been covetred somewhere in these threads but if Vigil and THq are both dead what becomes of the Darksiders license? Is it just floating around in IP purgatory? And does the game now get pulled from download services? I only ask because oddly enough I noticed last night that Sony is offering DS1 free for PS+ subscribers this month.

It, along with the rest of THQ IP's, will be sold at another auction, at a later date.

Edit- Thread on it, here.

Glad Relic went to Sega, but surprised how close the bidding was with Zenimax there.

Ubisoft looks like they wanted pick stuff up on the cheap, and surprised that WB didn't go for Vigil.

Also glad to see EA/Activision haven't got their mitts on anything.

DatDude

Banned
Ubisoft got South Park? Ugh, I may have lost interest in that game.

Why? The game is practically done. Ubisoft will just stick it's name on the bottom of the box and be the distributor and get 3/4 of the profit sales.

They aren't going to affect the core game in any way whatsoever.

Lancehead

Well I doubt they can change anything in the game as it's mostly done now. We're all worried if they'll slap uplay shit into the PC version though.

Uplay is one thing, and I'm just not a fan of Ubisoft in general.

I never had any great expectations of this game (rather simplistic RPG), but Ubisoft's involvement all but kills any interest I had.

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
The worst publisher (Ubi) gets the best game (South Park). Great.

Anyways I hope Metro still comes out when it's supposed to. Was really looking forward to it.

Oh god, Zenimax almost got Relic, that would have cause a GAF meltdown.

Koch Media seriously overpaid for Volition, 22 vs. 5 mln, Jesus...

Hanmik

I have no idea if this has been posted.. but I got a press release from Ubisoft..

Today, Ubisoft announced the acquisition of THQ Montreal as well as the publishing rights for the upcoming South Park: The Stick of Truth video game, being developed externally by Obsidian.

“This deal adds experienced developers to our internal creative teams at a key moment in the cycle of the video game industry,” said Yannis Mallat, president of Ubisoft Montreal.

THQ Montreal

In addition to the team at THQ Montreal, Ubisoft also acquired a new, yet-to-be announced IP in development at the studio. THQ Montreal will join Ubisoft’s development teams, already the second-largest in-house development staff in the world with 26 studios in 19 countries and more than 6,250 people dedicated to video game production.

South Park: The Stick of Truth

South Park: The Stick of Truth is being developed by Obsidian Entertainment, the studio behind Fallout: New Vegas, and is scheduled for release in calendar 2013.

This acquisition has no material impact on Ubisoft’s current fiscal year (2012/13).

WhyMe6

I didn't really like the first Darksiders, but if Platinumgames have a hand in it and add their Okami/Bayonetta touch, a third game would be fucking amazing.

Dawg

I didn't really like the first Darksiders, but if Platinumgames have a hand in it and add their Okami/Bayonetta touch, a third game would be fucking amazing.

I wonder if Joe Madureira made enough art for a potential DS 3. I don't know for sure, but Darksiders wouldn't be the same without his art I think...

TaroYamada

I wonder if Joe Madureira made enough art for a potential DS 3. I don't know for sure, but Darksiders wouldn't be the same without his art I think...

I'm sure they could emulate his style perfectly and if they wanted, I doubt it'd be hard to get him to come back and work on the game a bit.

TheOddOne

Press Release on Sale of THQ:
Jan. 24, 2013 05:35 UTC

Court Grants Motion to Approve Sale of THQ Inc. Assets
Majority of Titles, Studios Expected to Continue Development with Financial Backing of New Owners

AGOURA HILLS, Calif.–(BUSINESS WIRE)– THQ Inc. (OTC: THQIQ), a leading worldwide developer and publisher of interactive entertainment software, today announced that the U.S. Bankruptcy Court has granted a motion to approve a sale of the majority of THQ’s assets to multiple buyers. The company expects the Court to enter a formal order tomorrow.

The Court approved the sales of three of THQ’s owned studios and games in development, as well as Evolve, a working title under development at Turtle Rock Studios, Homefront 2, Metro: Last Light and South Park: The Stick of Truth. Under the terms of the agreements with the successful and approved bidders, the THQ estate will receive approximately $72 million, making the total estimated value of the estate $100 million including certain assets and other intellectual properties which were excluded from the sale.

The Court approved the sale of Relic Studios to Sega Corporation for $26.6 million; the sale of Volition Inc. and Metro: Last Light to Koch Media GmbH for $22.3 million and $5.9 million, respectively; the sale of Homefront 2 to Crytek GmbH for $0.5 million; the sale of Evolve to Take-Two Interactive Software, Inc. for $10.9 million; and the sale of THQ Montreal and South Park: The Stick of Truth to Ubisoft LLC for $2.5 million and $3.3 million, respectively. Excluded from the sales were the company’s publishing businesses, Vigil Games, and certain other assets and intellectual properties, which will remain part of the THQ estate and will continue in the Chapter 11 process.

Brian Farrell, Chairman and CEO of THQ, noted, “While we had hoped that the restructuring process would allow the company to remain intact, I am heartened that the majority of our studios and games will continue under new ownership. It has been my pleasure to work alongside this great group of people, and I am proud of the imaginative and artistic games that our team has created. Although we will no longer be able to work together with a unified mission, I am confident that the talent we have assembled will continue to make an impression on the video game industry. For those whose positions are not likely to continue, I sincerely regret this outcome and we will be meeting with you over the next few days to discuss the transition.”

Jason Rubin, President of THQ, added, “I was brought in eight months ago to help turn this ship around, and while I’m disappointed that we could not effect a sale for the entire operating business, I am pleased that the new buyers will be providing jobs to many of our very talented personnel. When we first announced the sale process, I said I would be happy if the company’s games and people had a bright future, even if it meant I did not have a job at the end of it. And I still feel that way.”

The new owners have not articulated their plans for the assets, or their intentions to extend employment to THQ employees included in the sale. THQ expects the new owners to extend employment to most employees and to continue development of the games they purchased that are currently in development. The assets that are not included in the sale agreements will remain part of the Chapter 11 case. THQ will continue to seek appropriate buyers, if possible.

THQ will continue to employ a small number of headquarters staff beyond January 25 to assist with the transition.

Qualified bids received by January 22 were reviewed by the company and the creditors committee. Through an auction process that lasted 22 hours yesterday and today, the successful bidders were determined, and the hearing to approve the sales took place this afternoon. Ten bidders participated in the proceedings, including bids for the entire company as well as for individual assets. The sales are expected to close tomorrow, January 24.

Clearlake Capital Group, L.P. had submitted a “stalking horse” bid for substantially all of THQ’s assets in December 2012. In accordance with Section 363 of the U.S. Bankruptcy Code, the Court supervised an auction to determine the highest and best bid(s) for the company’s assets in accordance with the bid procedures approved by the Court. Clearlake will receive a break-up fee of $1 million, as stated in its stalking horse asset purchase agreement.

THQ and its domestic business units filed voluntary petitions under Chapter 11 of the U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the District of Delaware on Dec. 19, 2012. The Chapter 11 case will continue for THQ.

Pedant alert:

For the thread title - "Runner-ups" should be "Runners-up". Runner is the noun which should be pluralised, just like the plural, Attorneys General.

Stupid question that might have been answered already but the thread is 20 pages: How does it work with some of the runners-up being much lower than the final price (i.e. Volition bought for 22 mil, runner-up was 5 mil)

Glass Rebel

Stupid question that might have been answered already but the thread is 20 pages: How does it work with some of the runners-up being much lower than the final price (i.e. Volition bought for 22 mil, runner-up was 5 mil)

It is believed that it was a blind auction.

PaulLFC

Koch PR:

Koch Media, a leading, independent producer and marketer of digital entertainment products in Europe and North America, has secured the intellectual property rights for two of the most popular and successful THQ franchises, Metro and Saints Row, as well as Illinois-based development studio, Volition, as THQ continues to liquidate its assets in closed auctions this week.

Deep Silver, Koch Media’s international publishing powerhouse, will lead all further development and marketing on the Saints Row and Metro franchises, each of which boast millions of units sold worldwide and vast, dedicated fan bases.

"Koch Media welcomes the addition of these magnificent franchises to the Koch Media family of entertainment properties.", said Dr. Klemens Kundratitz, CEO of Koch Media GmbH. "With more than 200 games on notable platforms globally, and its proven success creating renowned franchises like Dead Island, Deep Silver is perfectly positioned to lead these brands into the next generation of interactive entertainment for fans around the world."

"These franchises hold a special place in the hearts and minds of anyone who loves exceptional video games," said Geoff Mulligan, COO of Deep Silver, Inc. "We’re thrilled to usher in a new era for these franchises and are proud to welcome the visionaries and talented forces at Volition on board."

"Deep Silver already has a track record for out-of-the-ordinary games, including the immensely successful Dead Island brand. Both the Saints Row and the Metro franchises perfectly fit into our future lineup and strategy. We're really excited to lead these well-respected licenses into a bright new future.", said Menno van der Bil, International Commercial Director, Deep Silver "We also welcome the legendary development studio Volition to the Koch Media/Deep Silver group!"

Koch Media and Deep Silver will roll out future plans for each franchise in the coming months.

http://www.deepsilver.com/news/newsdetails/article/saints-row-metro-and-volition/

Top Bottom