• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official THQ Auction Results [Up2: Purchase Prices, Runner-Ups Revealed]

Gummb

Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about Rayman Legends Wii U.
This is a depressing little story.

It really is. I couldn't imagine trying to buy your own property and then being purchased by the victor who outspent you 43:1.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
It really is. I couldn't imagine trying to buy your own property and then being purchased by the victor who outspent you.

It was likely a safety net bid rather than a serious purchase attempt; if the project went ignored, it would have been canned. Turtle Rock securing the rights would have allowed it to shop the game around.

Sega had better not waste Relic.

Speaking of which, why would they purchase Relic if they are supposed to be moving to digital only games? (low budget games)

Would not Relic be wasted on such small titles?

Gummb

Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about Rayman Legends Wii U.
It was likely a safety net bid rather than a serious purchase attempt; if the project went ignored, it would have been canned.

That's true. I like your narrative better. That is now my new reality. Good for everyone! Except THQ... Can you create a good narrative for that please?

GeoMod was an internally developed Volition engine. At least when I was with them nobody else in THQ was using it. I would assume it stays with them in the sale...

Badass tech btw, it'd be great to see what they could do with it on next gen hardware.

I hope it does. easily some of the best tech to come out of this gen. saints row 5 on next gen hardware with full geomod implementation? oh lord.

nET9EIB.gif

JaseC

That's true. I like your narrative better. That is now my new reality. Good for everyone! Except THQ... Can you create a good narrative for that please?

"THQ died on the way back to its home planet."

Speaking of which, why would they purchase Relic if they are supposed to be moving to digital only games? (low budget games)

SEGA is actually relatively big in the PC retail space with Total War and Football Manager. It makes sense for them to expand their portfolio in the niche they've digged out.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
I suppose you're right. I hope one doesn't end neglected for the other and I really do hope that 4 knocks it out of the park like 2 did.

if they're smart they'll put as much attention into their other successful games as they will Saints Row.

i dont really have a feel for the company, but i feel like they might go a little overboard and pull resources from other projects to make Saints Row better to the detriment of others.

Seriously what has Koch Media done to have $20+ Million to buy Volition? I have never heard of them, but I suppose they probably overpaid what others valued Volition to be to help establish their gaming arm as a viable member in the industry.

Only way I can make sense of that acquisition. We will see how healthy of an acquisition that ends up being.

Lime

When will the legacy IP be sold off? Is there a specific date or will all be forgotten like tears in the rain?

Yeef

I'm a terrible person, cause I laughed at this.

Honestly, though, this is probably for the best. Turtle Rock has never struck me as very focused. I think it'd just evaporate had they won it. Hopefully Take 2 just lets them continue working on it and provides Turtle Rock with a little guidance here and there to keep them on the rails.
Well, I wasn't focusing on Turtle Rock specifically (don't even know what Evolve is), just the disparity in the bids. It reminded me of those ultra-short stories, like the classic "For sale, baby shoes. Never worn" by Hemmingway. In so few words, it tells the story of a group of plucky go-getters trying to carve out a niche in this work-a-day world only to be utterly crushed by their competition.

PaulLFC

Total War
Warhammer Fantasy
Football Manager

Just some of the titles Sega publishes. They're pretty much the perfect publisher for Relic.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
No serious bid by Warner Bros. for Volition/SR leads me to believe either Rocksteady or WB Montreal is working on an open-world game.
Maybe it was possible to withdraw from the auction in case you were outbid?
It would explain why there's no bid from WB, who seemed to be willing to invest, and the huge differences between winning and backup bidder.

Also: Hello GAF, first post here.

Seriously what has Koch Media done to have $20+ Million to buy Volition? I have never heard of them, but I suppose they probably overpaid what others valued Volition to be to help establish their gaming arm as a viable member in the industry.

Only way I can make sense of that acquisition. We will see how healthy of an acquisition that ends up being.

They've published 200+ games. Mostly shit, but still.

JaseC

we're going to have a system shock 2 situation

or worse yet, terra nova

oh... oh god no D:

Off the top of my head (which, admittedly, isn't the wisest choice as it's early here and this thread has been keeping me up :p), the only IP I don't want to see locked up in legal limbo is Homeworld. The rest I can take or leave.

GMM

Banned
I'm extremely worried for Saints Row now.

If anything, Volition couldn't really have hoped for a better outcome. Koch Media will most likely just have Volition do whatever they want as long as they can put out profitable products. EA and Ubisoft on the other hand would be way more involved with the production phase of their games and change things Koch Media would never object to.

Maybe it was possible to withdraw from the auction in case you were outbid?
It would explain why there's no bid from WB, who seemed to be willing to invest, and the huge differences between winning and backup bidder.

Also: Hello GAF, first post here.

Yeah, I mentioned this earlier. If you knew you were getting outbid, it would make sense simply to withdraw from the auction.

Sciz

Sega's moving to stuff that actually makes money. Low risk digital releases constitute some of that, but Sonic's still a reliable earner, and their PC studios are licenses to print money.

duckroll

This is a depressing little story.

3) Mentioned already, but heartbreaking to see by how much Turtle Rock got outbid on their own IP. At least they should have a good home with Take Two.

This made me sad:

Evolve
(title in development at Turtle Rock Studios)
Winning bidder: Take-Two Interactive, $10.894 million.
Runner-up: Turtle Rock Studios, $250,000.

Developer can't even buy the rights to its own game. Damn.

I'm curious, but what do you guys think would have happened if say, no one else bid on it, and Turtle Rock won the rights to Evolve for 250k? If this outcome is depressing or sad, then the other outcome must be much better right? What is it?

They've published 200+ games. Mostly shit, but still.

I doubt those 200+ games even made $20 million combined, lol. Anyways, I am sure their main side of the business must be a lot healthier than their gaming side, thus they went after an IP that has a lot of consumer awareness in Saint's Row.

I doubt those 200+ games even made $20 million combined, lol. Anyways, I am sure their main side of the business must be a lot healthier than their gaming side, thus they went after an IP that has a lot of consumer awareness in Saint's Row.

...Did you look at the games?

Also, that's only one arm of their media stuff. They make bank everywhere.

trinest

Not always. The game going from a solid March release to a vague "calendar 2013" implies a delay.

I don't think it will loose to much, probably a few more months just because no doubt development slowed down during all this THQ a bit, I don't think they would of hit the target if THQ was still alive anyway.

But that's not a valid comparison. You have to understand what is really going on here. Turtle Rock is very likely not competing with anyone bidding for their game. They are hoping that if NO ONE wants their game, they can at least keep the rights for a token sum instead of it going into legal hell.
Let's suppose that no one bought it and it went back to themselves, is Turtle Rock self sufficient enough to float the title around to find a new publisher?

ADPolice

Neo Member
So far no news if anyone is picking up the 40k license from all the updates I can see. Doesn't look like Sega is taking it with them and Relic.

BasilZero

Will this affect any of the digital forms that are available?

Say for an example on Steam if you have Darksiders 1 but have it uninstalled, will we be able to install it in the future?

Or for an example will Darksiders 2 still be available on Steam if I wait for it later?

;x?

Ubi saying it's "too soon" to say if Patrice is coming back.

We've reached out to Ubisoft regarding the status of Patrice Désilets, the former creative lead on Assassin's Creed 2 who left Ubisoft quite publicly for THQ back in 2011. "It's too soon to say for certain, but we are very excited about THQ Montreal becoming part Ubisoft," a company representative said. "In the coming weeks we'll be looking at how to offer an organizational structure that provides continuity for the creative teams involved. Unannounced projects from THQ Montreal are included as part of the acquisition.

"We are very excited to welcome the experienced and talented people from THQ Montreal to our internal development teams, and are convinced that they will be bringing a lot to the group."

Link.

JaseC

Let's suppose that no one bought it and it went back to themselves, is Turtle Rock self sufficient enough to float the title around to find a new publisher?

I would assume so, otherwise where's the sense in bidding at all?

duckroll

Here's my question: if no one was willing to bid more than 250k for the rights of the game, why would anyone want to seriously market and publish the game?

I would assume so, otherwise where's the sense in bidding at all?

Because paying 250k for a chance of that is still better than watching years of work go down the drain for nothing if no one bids for it at all. See: Vigil.

JaxJag

Banned
Doesn't 10 million dollars seem like too much for Evolve when you have entire studio, with what seems like an IP with a bright future going for a little over 20 million?

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
I'm curious, but what do you guys think would have happened if say, no one else bid on it, and Turtle Rock won the rights to Evolve for 250k? If this outcome is depressing or sad, then the other outcome must be much better right? What is it?

Hmm I thought they bid on it because they wanted ownership of the IP but it could be that it was only a safety bid as someone mentioned. I didn't really think it through.

JaseC

Because paying 250k for a chance of that is still better than watching years of work go down the drain for nothing if no one bids for it at all. See: Vigil.

Read the question again. There would be no chance of anything if Turtle Rock weren't "self sufficient enough to float the title around to find a new publisher".

Top Bottom