• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official THQ Auction Results [Up2: Purchase Prices, Runner-Ups Revealed]

Dandalf

Neo Member
I find it really hard to believe that no one bought the Darksiders IP.

I adore that series... Sad that there wasn't another company who saw its potential (and awesome first two games).

inky

Yeah I don't know about that. Homefront is kind of a tainted brand.

People are aware of it so it starts with a better foothold than a new IP, it was dirt cheap and Crytek has a better reputation as a developer so if they show it off properly, the name can be turned around.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
This wasn't a blind auction was it? Some of them have a big difference between winning, and runner-up bids.

The Vigil situation strikes me as very curious. I mean, did just everybody think that someone else would bid more and it wasn't worth their time so in the end nobody bought it?

erragal

Shocked and not at the same time that Relic ended up being the most valuable part of THQ.

It's fitting and realistic. How many dev studios can develop on budget, profitable titles in a genre that isn't really susceptible to the whims of popular momentum? Add in a title basically ready to release in the next quarter and the risk involved is minimal.

Excited that Relic has some stability. Maybe we'll see DoW:Fantasy down the line as well.

KimiNewt

Scored 3/100 on an Exam
Evolve
(title in development at Turtle Rock Studios)
Winning bidder: Take-Two Interactive, $10.894 million.
Runner-up: Turtle Rock Studios, $250,000.

Awww ):

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Volition, Inc.

Maker of Saints Row
Winning bidder: Koch Media, $22,312,925.
Runner-up: Ubisoft, $5.4 million.

why so small ubi?

Thought they could get lucky with how Crytek got Homefront so cheap maybe?

Poor Vigil and Darksiders =/

Wish WB picks them up on the real cheap and continues the IP + Studio /wishful thinking

Amazing no NIN or MS or Sony in the mix for these assets

Also damn @ Turtle Rock getting outbid hella' bad

T2 must really like Evolve

Evolve
(title in development at Turtle Rock Studios)
Winning bidder: Take-Two Interactive, $10.894 million.
Runner-up: Turtle Rock Studios, $250,000.

Awww ):

Makes me so sad. They didn't any any publisher to direct them on what to do. I guess that's the price of freedom.

WHAT A WEIRD DAY! It's like seeing Mommy and Daddy fight over a divorce while it's your birthday, and all your friends are waiting outside for you.

Mechazawa

I don't really understand what happens to Turtle Rock here. They just get their game taken from them? Or Take Two negotiates a deal or...

duckroll

I don't really understand what happens to Turtle Rock here. They just get their game taken from them? Or Take Two negotiates a deal or...

It's up to Take2. But the most likely scenario is that they just finish the game with Take2 as their publisher with Take2 paying the rest of the development bill.

Labadal

Rest in peace, Vigil. I enjoyed the Darksiders games and I'd have bought a third game. Now you are all jobless. I hope they all find new jobs asap.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Wait so this auction was for THQ Studio and currently in development but the legacy IPs is another story?

does this mean Volition got separated from Red Faction and Saints Row for now?

Yeah I don't know about that. Homefront is kind of a tainted brand. Koch Media sure did come out of nowhere, hope they're not writing cheques they can't cash.
images

AmFreak

Seems everyone thinks South Park will bomb hard. I mean u practically get a finished game (1,5 months till release). So there is like zero dev cost involved, but Ubisoft was the only bidder abd got it for a mere ~ 3 mill.

AHA-Lambda

So if some bought a studio does that mean they own their IPs (licences aside) EG: does Sega's own CoH and Homeworld? Does Koch own Saints Row and Red Faction?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
It's up to Take2. But the most likely scenario is that they just finish the game with Take2 as their publisher with Take2 paying the rest of the development bill.

Take-Two does work with quite a few independent developers like Gearbox.

Sometimes they buy them later like Illusionworks and Irrational.

Zapages

So Patrice goes back to Ubisoft... Please let Patrice make a new Prince of Persia game and allow him to continue his old project.

Top Bottom