• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official THQ Auction Results [Up2: Purchase Prices, Runner-Ups Revealed]

gdt

Does it really matter if they are both in Austin? Also they could still fuse them to have a bigger western studio. The one thing, Nintendo certainly is lacking in is western games / studios and seeing that noone wants to develop games for Wii U they could well use another studio that at least somewhat fits their style of game development - and has experience with developing for Wii U.

Better to just wait till the studio dies and snatch up the talent. They aren't interested in the Darksiders IP anyway.

Tiktaalik

Yeah, I was thinking that as well.

Publishers must be worried Saints Row won't sustain, while they did not have that fear of Relic even if their games sell much less.

Good point. We're about to make the leap across generations which is the most dangerous time for an IP and studio. It makes sense that this is a risky time to be holding onto a console team that is just ramping up on new tech.

Relic, as a long established PC dev doesn't have this problem.

Azih

Volition, Inc.

Maker of Saints Row
Winning bidder: Koch Media, $22,312,925.
Runner-up: Ubisoft, $5.4 million.

why so small ubi?

Couldn't Koch have just bid 6 million? Was it a closed auction type deal?

*Koch writes 22.3 million and places it face down*

Everyone turns their bid over.

*Everyone's eyes go wide*

Koch: I've made a huge mistake.

HoosTrax

Winning bidder: Koch Media, $22,312,925.
I'm going to assume this is the result of a currency conversion from Euros to Dollars, and not the result of some sort of neurosis on the part of Koch.

LOL!

Geez, those prices.

Crytek got a bargain at half a million for a game they were already developing anyways. And I love SEGA opening up the checkbook. Relic is fucking worth it.
Yeah I don't know about that. Homefront is kind of a tainted brand. Koch Media sure did come out of nowhere, hope they're not writing cheques they can't cash.
Double Fine should use some of that money and pickup Vigil.
They still have to pay the devs and they probably don't have a game very far in production. It's an expensive investment, that might lead to nothing.

BraXzy

EDIT

Hahaha!

Makers of Company of Heroes
Winning bidder: Sega, $26.6 million.
Runner-up: Zenimax Media, $26.3 million.

Pretty close!

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
Does this mean i can buy the Darksiders IP for $3.50?

I am excited to see what Relic and Sega can do together!

Biggzy

Geez, those prices.

Crytek got a bargain at half a million for a game they were already developing anyways. And I love SEGA opening up the checkbook. Relic is fucking worth it.

500k to own the IP of a game you are already developing, smells like a bargain to me.

Koch media looks like they paid too much for Volition judging by the runner-up price.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I want another game that plays like Space Marine.

I need a visual of Patrice coming into the Assassin's Creed studios. Staring at AC3 and just saying 'Alright, what did you fuckers do?'

rankor

Neo Member
Evolve

(title in development at Turtle Rock Studios)
Winning bidder: Take-Two Interactive, $10.894 million.
Runner-up: Turtle Rock Studios, $250,000.

So that means there wasn't a $500k minimum bet ?
And... uh, they wanted to buy themselfs ?

dionysus

Yaldog
Purchase price will be discounted by the time value of the money required to run the studio.

That is probably why Relic with a game ready to be released goes for more than Volition. To extract money from purchasing Volition you have to buy the studio plus payroll of the entire studio until a game comes out.

I have to imagine that returned to Games Workshop. Hopefully we'll get some info soon.

I sincerely doubt SEGA bought into the Warhammer:FB license recently only to just stumble mysteriously into purchasing relic. They've probably been looking to acquire relic for quite a while now. It feels like SEGA's being doing some serious long term planning and thinking.

ultron87

Evolve
(title in development at Turtle Rock Studios)
Winning bidder: Take-Two Interactive, $10.894 million.
Runner-up: Turtle Rock Studios, $250,000.

That's kind of cool that they tried to buy their own game.

Top Bottom