• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official THQ Auction Results [Up2: Purchase Prices, Runner-Ups Revealed]

FoneBone

I think some people are mixing studios and IPs. Just because Koch Media got Volition doesn't mean they bought Saints Row as well.

I think you're mistaken. Take 2 bought Evolve rather than Turtle Rock because THQ never owned Turtle Rock in the first place. They're just using studios as shorthand for the associated IPs.

AHA-Lambda

RIP THQ and Vigil
I'm not surprised no one bought them but its still sad to see ofc

Patrice Desilet probably isn't a happy man either.
At least EA got nothing though.

duckroll

Hunter ‏@DDInvesting
THQ auction results: 26M for Relic (Sega), 2.5M for Montreal (Ubisoft), 11M for Evolve (Take-Two), 22.3M for Volition (Koch Media)...

Hunter ‏@DDInvesting
500k Homeland (Crytek), 5.8M for Metro (Koch Media), South Park for 3.2M (Ubisoft)

https://twitter.com/DDInvesting

Volition seems very low. Does not include the Saints Row IP?

Just 71 million dollars for THQ's carcass and no one wanted to put up more money for Vigil? Wow. Sad.

Tiktaalik

Relic got bought for more than Volition?

My mind is blown.

Yeah that's a good price. Sega must see a lot of potential in Relic's current projects and past IPs.

edit: Such confidence would be good for Relic. Maybe this means an expansion of the studio in Vancouver?

Eternia

Sega for Relic seems great considering how they treat the PC. Koch Media buying Volition is a wait and see. I like some of the games Deep Silver attracts and I don't recall hearing anything bad about them but this is also a pretty big studio compared to what they have. Hope it works out. Sucks for Vigil though! :(

Pooya

Do these prices include all the assets or in some case the building of the studio? these are absurdly low...

Patryn

Just 71 million dollars for THQ's carcass and no one wanted to put up more money for Vigil? Wow. Sad.

That $71 million figure is way closer to the original Clearlake bid than I thought it was going to be.

I really thought the final number was going to be somewhere between $100-120 million.

Relic going to sega is probably the best thing that could have happened, isn't it?
Koch media published dead island so they are allright in my book so far.

Crytek ending up with homefront is delicious, I really dislike crytek and homefront is probably the worst shooter I ever played in 20 years of pc gaming. shamefully awful game with half life 1 'physics' for the vehicles (everyone who played hl1 mods with vehicles knows what I mean by that).

Sad to see vigil go down, darksiders 1 was an excellent game.

duckroll

That $71 million figure is way closer to the original Clearlake bid than I thought it was going to be.

I really thought the final number was going to be somewhere between $100-120 million.

Yeah, I have to say I'm really surprised at the figures. It's like.... "that's it?" Wtf.

JdFoX187

Banned
Darksiders is a franchise with potential, but Vigil was not a good developer to pull it off, so I am not surprised that nobody is touching them especially after Joe Madureira left a while ago.

Vigil might be dead, but they didn't own the Darksiders IP, so there still is a chance that somebody picks up the IP. But then again... the sales number showed that there is not enough interest so maybe they let it die together with Vigil.

Surprising (and great) purchase by Ubi though. South Park will be a great game.

The Darksiders franchise has sold respectively, but was poorly mishandled by THQ. They sunk way more money into it than needed. That's always been a major issue for the now-defunct publisher. I could see WBIE or someone picking the IP up for cheap and maybe giving it to a proven studio and bringing Joe Mad back in.

Patryn

They only needed to spend $500,000 to do it too.

An optimist would wonder if someone was waiting for Vigil to get shutdown, then swoop in and try to get all the employees without paying that $500,000 if they were interested in the studio but not the IP. After all, even if they bought it, they'd still have the chance of employees leaving.

Then again, the world ain't fair.

Waaghals

Relic got bought for more than Volition?

My mind is blown.

I believe Relic's games were consistently profitable, they had multiple IP connected to them that showed promise, and had a history of making several great games in different genres.

Volition's best game was made 13 years ago. Admittedly it was a very good game.

Pooya

man, I think THQ management fucked up with the whole bankruptcy thing, if they sold the studios over past 1-2 years one by one they could have got a lot more for them, maybe thq was still around in some form. horrible decisions imo

Top Bottom