• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official THQ Auction Results [Up2: Purchase Prices, Runner-Ups Revealed]

Decado

Wow...given how much talent of Relic's talent left of the past years, I wouldn't expect it to sell for nearly that much. Does that somehow include the Warhammer license?

Glass Rebel

I think you're mistaken. Take 2 bought Evolve rather than Turtle Rock because THQ never owned Turtle Rock in the first place. They're just using studios as shorthand for the associated IPs.

I wonder about that because nobody has mentioned it. I wouldn't be against it though, that would mean SEGA publishing Company of Heroes 2.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Ubi got a (pretty) new studio in THQ Montreal, publishing rights for a game that is practically finished, and they get to make Desilets life a living hell for jumping ship. I think they won the auction.

I thought this, too. Can anyone clear this up?

From what I recall, Valve did hire Turtle Rock but they did not incorporate them into their own studio like they normally do with acquired teams. They were in their own studio and I think there were some differences that resulted in most or all of the Turtle Rock team breaking back off from Valve. Not 100% sure on that but I believe that was the case.

FoneBone

I have to imagine that returned to Games Workshop. Hopefully we'll get some info soon.

I would have thought so, too, but I can't figure out why else it would've been more than Volition. Unless it's just that they have a game much closer to completion than does Volition?

Wiktor

Could the Relic figure have included the Warhammer license?

Doubt it, but I'm sure it included almost-done COH2. I doubt Volition has any projects close to completion. Sega bassicaly bought both studio and game that will most likely sell 2 mln copies. If you think about it like that, it's a good price. meanwhile anyone who buys Volition will have to pump dozens of millions into it before getting game on the shelves.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
I think the biggest surprise to me in this whole thing is that Koch Media isn't already the name of something in Saints Row 3.

JaxJag

Banned
Homefront actually sold ok, just not for what they spent on developing the game.

I could see if the sequel has a lower budget, it doing fine.

Pooya

Ubi got a (pretty) new studio in THQ Montreal, publishing rights for a game that is practically finished, and they get to make Desilets life a living hell for jumping ship. I think they won the auction.

all of that for 5.7m, ridiculous :lol

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
We just need more info about the rest of the IPs now.

Darksiders is a franchise with potential, but Vigil was not a good developer to pull it off, so I am not surprised that nobody is touching them especially after Joe Madureira left a while ago.

Vigil might be dead, but they didn't own the Darksiders IP, so there still is a chance that somebody picks up the IP. But then again... the sales number showed that there is not enough interest so maybe they let it die together with Vigil.

Vigil was good dev and their engine and combat system in DS2 were great, Darksiders 1 and 2 biggest problem was the story and that is Joe Mad fault.

HoosTrax

I believe Relic's games were consistently profitable, they had multiple IP connected to them that showed promise, and had a history of making several great games in different genres.

Volition's best game was made 13 years ago. Admittedly it was a very good game.
Relic is kind of an almost immediate payoff as well, with CoH2 in closed beta, getting ready for release.

Question -- who gets the money from previous CoH2 preorders?

I think some people are mixing studios and IPs. Just because Koch Media got Volition doesn't mean they bought Saints Row as well.

It doesn't seem they did. The IPs and licenses that got sold were mentioned by name in the announcement.

Im sure that means that they got Volition with their franchises, they all come in the same pack. If not we would have seen Red Faction or Saints Row separate on the list, bought by another publisher.
I could be wrong of course, but it seems pretty sure to me they come in the same pack, if they dont appear anywhere more in the list. Koch Media wanted Volition AND (and because) Saints Row.

I hope you are right on this.

WTF? Why would you want an IP separate of the studio that made it great? Koch Media will probably leave them do what they want.

Vilam

Maxis Redwood
Apparently the THQ estate is retaining their legacy IP... wonder what will happen to all of it. There are some interesting titles left in limbo there.

szaromir

Banned
That $71 million figure is way closer to the original Clearlake bid than I thought it was going to be.

I really thought the final number was going to be somewhere between $100-120 million.
The difference being Clearlake offering $10M to pay off some of THQ's debt and $50M to run the company for some time until the first wave of games (South Park, Metro, Saint's Row) would come out. That $10M figure was laughable and THQ's creditors blocked the entire operation.

Azih

Apparently the THQ estate is retaining their legacy IP... wonder what will happen to all of it. There are some interesting titles left in limbo there.

Everything will end up somewhere. Vultures can come in and pick the carcass dry for cheap.

Beaulieu

Ubisoft buys THQ montreal. What does this mean ? The employees contracts and the comptuers / servers ? Or does it also mean all projects that were in progress ? (design documents, etc) ?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Yeah but I mean I think Relic is the better long-term investment. I don't think we can be sure what Saint's Row long term sales appeal is...

Yeah, I was thinking that as well.

Publishers must be worried Saints Row won't sustain, while they did not have that fear of Relic even if their games sell much less.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Why would Nintendo of all companies want 2 Austin, TX dev teams?

Does it really matter if they are both in Austin? Also they could still fuse them to have a bigger western studio. The one thing, Nintendo certainly is lacking in is western games / studios and seeing that noone wants to develop games for Wii U they could well use another studio that at least somewhat fits their style of game development - and has experience with developing for Wii U.

BraXzy

Do Relic's games sell that much? I'm surprised it sold for more than Volition, since Saints Row 3 was such a success

inky

Geez, those prices.

Crytek got a bargain at half a million for a game they were already developing anyways. And I love SEGA opening up the checkbook. Relic is fucking worth it.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Wait... if the auction is close to $100 million, that means that there's something like $30 million missing in those figures. Unless they're being SUPER generous and rounding $70 million up.

They might be counting the cash THQ still had in the bank.

Top Bottom