• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Transformers: The Movie thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Willco

Hollywood Square
Studs Ramrod said:
Optimus, was a father-figure - of sorts, to us children of the 80's.

That's strange, my father was not a truck that transformed into a robot and shot lasers. Oh wait, I had a real dad!

Studs Ramrod said:
My personal opinion is: The movie is going to be mega-wack. Period. It has a lot to live up to.

Though it being super-booty - in my opinion, the movie needs three things:

1. Prime, in his 1st Generation form. Optimus, was a father-figure - of sorts, to us children of the 80's. Any other shape or form, is just allowing a stranger to lure us with candy.

2. The original transforming sound-effect. If it lacks this, the movie is doomed - without question.

3. Key characters in the Transformer lore: Unicron, Constructicons (original green crew, not that yellow piece of shit), Omega Supreme, Starscream (in all his traitorous glory), Shockwave (still protecting Cybertron), Skyfire [Jetfire], Sideswipe and Sunstreaker [the brothers], Skywarp, Thundercracker.

- Unless noted, all characters must be Generation 1 versions.

Michael Bay has a lot to consider (or he already has, since filming since begun) and not taking any opinions of an 80's child, will surely doom the project from inception.

- Studs Ramrod

:lol Is this a serious post?

Studs Ramrod said:
My personal opinion is: The movie is going to be mega-wack. Period. It has a lot to live up to.

Though it being super-booty - in my opinion, the movie needs three things:

1. Prime, in his 1st Generation form. Optimus, was a father-figure - of sorts, to us children of the 80's. Any other shape or form, is just allowing a stranger to lure us with candy.

2. The original transforming sound-effect. If it lacks this, the movie is doomed - without question.

3. Key characters in the Transformer lore: Unicron, Constructicons (original green crew, not that yellow piece of shit), Omega Supreme, Starscream (in all his traitorous glory), Shockwave (still protecting Cybertron), Skyfire [Jetfire], Sideswipe and Sunstreaker [the brothers], Skywarp, Thundercracker.

- Unless noted, all characters must be Generation 1 versions.

Michael Bay has a lot to consider (or he already has, since filming since begun) and not taking any opinions of an 80's child, will surely doom the project from inception.

- Studs Ramrod

You're Elias from Clerks 2, aren't you?

Pakkidis

Have no idea if this is old news to you guys or not:

"News coming in from our guys at Comic Con who spoke with a source that is going to remain anonymous that Frank Welker has officially "auditioned" for the role of Megatron via audio tape/recording/whatever.

It's said he's being "heavily looked in to" for the role. This apparently just happened recently.

And no, this was not something announced publicly, it was one of those "You like Cullen in the movie, huh? Well, let me tell you something...." from someone official."

Please accept him, having 2 of the original voice actors would really make this movie a lot better.

bjork

If they get Welker, they have to have Megatron get drunk on energon like that one old episode where he's all "yep, good ol shyyybertron, those were the day :hic:"

Ichirou

Banned
I hope they get a good sound-alike for Starscream since the original dude died. That guy had one of the best voices ever.

jett

D-Member
I guess the quality of their voice acting was good enough for an 80s cartoon, but would these Cullen and Welker guys work well in an actual film though? That was 20 years ago, too. :p

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
jett said:
I guess the quality of their voice acting was good enough for an 80s cartoon, but would these Cullen and Welker guys work well in an actual film though? That was 20 years ago, too. :p

they were/are career voice actors, so yeah, it would be good enough. Voice actors voices tend to be well maintained, if that's what you were getting at with the 20 years remark. Fred, Scooby and Shaggy sound pretty much on point 35+ years after the show started.

jett

D-Member
levious said:
they were/are career voice actors, so yeah, it would be good enough. Voice actors voices tend to be well maintained, if that's what you were getting at with the 20 years remark. Fred, Scooby and Shaggy sound pretty much on point 35+ years after the show started.

I'm also talking about the general quality of the delivery, the voices in cartoons tend to be exaggerated and not all that real and natural, but considering this is a live-action film they gotta step it up from the G1 days. I'm not all that familiar with all of their voicework, I was just putting the question out there.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
I love transformers but I find the show mostly unwatchable nowadays. But, even with that, the voice acting from the main core of characters was very good, especially compared to most other cartoons of the time.

But yeah, their delivery would be more than qualified for a Michael Bay movie.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
bjork said:
If they get Welker, they have to have Megatron get drunk on energon like that one old episode where he's all "yep, good ol shyyybertron, those were the day :hic:"

I watched that episode a few weeks ago, indeed a classic moment. It's great to watch some of these episodes now and see what kind of zany stuff the writers of the show fed us kids. Other highlights I can think of:

- that Spike=Frankenstein monster episode. Spike's warped mind inside a robot made of spare parts
- Autobots playing basketball with Spike and the others
- the female killer robot ninja episode :lol

bjork

Darunia said:
I watched that episode a few weeks ago, indeed a classic moment. It's great to watch some of these episodes now and see what kind of zany stuff the writers of the show fed us kids. Other highlights I can think of:

- that Spike=Frankenstein monster episode. Spike's warped mind inside a robot made of spare parts
- Autobots playing basketball with Spike and the others
- the female killer robot ninja episode :lol

Autobot X, haha. HOUND WHAT HAVE THEY DONE TO ME RAWTRTRRRRR

Baker

Banned
I haven't been following this thread so sorry if this is super ass old or anything.

Here's a Bumblebee pic I just got emailed to me...

bumble7ps.jpg

terrene

Banned
xsarien said:
...Nah. Too easy.

The change for the movie has been explained, and the change is actually the more dominant form he's taken in the toyline over the years. Get it through your head that designs that are outright slavish to the original G1 media can sometimes be a bad thing.

You know that Bumblebee isnt' a VW, right?
Whatever, like anyone watched The Transformers after "G1."

aparisi2274

perplexcity said:
I haven't been following this thread so sorry if this is super ass old or anything.

Here's a Bumblebee pic I just got emailed to me...

bumble7ps.jpg

That was up in here a while ago... It might still be up...

Willco

Hollywood Square
TheJollyCorner said:
bwahahaa :lol

I shouldn't be so mean. I guess the warm glow of an animated, transforming robot seems much more father-like than mom's drunken boyfriend who wanders in the house at 11 AM on Saturday, kicking your toys ever which way, and thoroughly f*cks her while leaving the bedroom door open far more than just a crack. Why Megatron, why?!

http://wkyc.com/news/news_fullstory.asp?id=3828

CUYAHOGA FALLS -- A member of Ohio's 5694th National Guard Unit in Mansfield legally changed his name to a Transformers toy.

Optimus Prime is heading out to the Middle East with his guard unit on Wednesday to provide fire protection for airfields under combat.

"On Sunday, we were announced as the best firefighting unit in the Army National Guard in the entire country," said Prime. "That was a big moment for us."

Prime took his name from the leader of the Autobots Transformers, which were popular toys and a children's cartoon in the 1980s.

He legally changed his name on his 30th birthday and now it's on everything from his driver's license, to his military ID, to his uniform.

"They razzed me for three months to no end," said Prime. "They really dug into me about it."

Prime says the toy actually filled a void in his life when it came out.

"My dad passed away the year before and I didn't have anybody really around, so I really latched onto him when I was a kid," he said.

0331941134_optimus1.jpg

033194128_optimus2.jpg

aparisi2274

Hey just a quick update.

Folks over at Shootfortheedit.com, which is Michael Bay's forum, are saying that there will be a true teaser trailer this Thanksgiving, which according to them will erase that dumbass announcement trailer.

Snaku

Banned
aparisi2274 said:
Folks over at Shootfortheedit.com, which is Michael Bay's forum, are saying that there will be a true teaser trailer this Thanksgiving, which according to them will erase that dumbass announcement trailer.

One can only hope. The announcement trailer was completely retarded.

aparisi2274

Hmm could this be Ironhide? It seems that jalopnik.com thinks it is...

Very high probability that this is Ironhide in the transformers film. Sadly no shots of the front, but i did get a good look at it. It appeared to be a heavily modified Sierra 3500 GMC. The front was more altered than the back. Vents on each side of a very angular hood and large, square headlamps made up the front of the vehicle. The rear has large fender and smoke stacks. After researching the transformers movie site, this could be ironhide. He use to be a red, nissan van back in the day. Still pretty cool. The autobot logo only appeared on the tailgate and was embossed into the metal.

I shot this on Le Brea and Wilshire Blvd in LA

Our fanboy nipples are hardened from excitement -- and it's all your fault, Hue.

Update: It turns out that it's not a GMC Sierra -- it's a GMC Top Kick C4500 4WD Crew Cab and we've got more details on the customizations made to make the hauler Ironhide

Ironhide_02_400.jpg

Ironhide_01_400.jpg

Ponn

Banned
Doubt it, just looks like a custom job. Hell, I should take a picture of my mustang since I have a decepticon symbol on the back window.

aparisi2274

here are some pics from Don Murphy's offical forum. What do you guys think?

Optimus

Prime's Shoulder
movieprimefu9.jpg

Prime's head (minus the eyes)
movieprimeheadlf4.jpg

Brawl

Brawl's Shoulder
moviebrawlvw1.jpg

Bumblebee

Bumblebee's Foot
moviebumblebeezj4.jpg

I REALLY don't like they way they are going with the bots.

That being a whole mess of exposed wiring and pistons and engines... Just seems..... amatuer

teiresias

Outcast2004 said:
I REALLY don't like they way they are going with the bots.

That being a whole mess of exposed wiring and pistons and engines... Just seems..... amatuer

I like that aspect of the designs. Seems more realistic to me, particularly if they're modeling them accurately so that the transformations are correct and they conceivably could operate correctly in their transformed forms.

I'd prefer "sleeker" bots over having radiators and exhaust pipes everywhere, but the idea of exhaust pipes and radiators everywhere I kinda like.

WHAT SIDE DO I TAKE GAF?!

teiresias said:
I like that aspect of the designs. Seems more realistic to me, particularly if they're modeling them accurately so that the transformations are correct and they conceivably could operate correctly in their transformed forms.

Alternators will show you the RIGHT way it could be done.
They're robots IN disguise....not actual cars that happen to turn into robots. (Wow, that's incredibly geeky)
SanjuroTsubaki said:
In Nolan we trust. lol.
What the **** does Nolan have to do with this?

Mike M

Nick N
Kind of reminds me of the aesthetic for the Vehicons in Beast Machines. Less traditional TF, more industrial killing machines.

They most likely went with pistons and wires to achieve larger scale robots. If you stop and look at your average car, then imagine it turning into a robot; it wouldn't be all that large. :\

For example, I saw a new Civic this weekend and thought "Man that would make a great Transformer!" then I visualized it, and it wouldn't be much taller than myself.

Sanjuro

Outcast2004 said:
Alternators will show you the RIGHT way it could be done.
They're robots IN disguise....not actual cars that happen to turn into robots. (Wow, that's incredibly geeky)

What the **** does Nolan have to do with this?

Notice the lol. How one film's director has gained almost full trust from his fanbase and the other makes his fanbase ****ing insane.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom