• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Virtua Fighter 5 Thread

dallas79

neojubei said:
383160921_2fbabd7431_b.jpg

Vanessa brings sexy back!!!! If this is 720p, then 1080p must look awesome.:D

1080p seems to look worse for some reason :(

Question? What's the quickest way to get "stuff"? Outfits etc.

oBa

Mattlikewhoa said:
And still nothing for me...My poor game and joystick is just sitting in their warehouse waiting...

I think that might be the key issue, as I am in the same boat. Has it been confirmed that any orders of the Sega High Grade have been shipped from P.A.?

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
i've got that hori fighting stick, and it's essentially identical to the doa4 stick, or a number of hori's ps2 sticks. i don't know how much worse it is than the vshg or rap, but it suits my needs. i can nail the dlc and spod just about every time, though akira's double palm is difficult for some reason.

oBa said:
I think that might be the key issue, as I am in the same boat. Has it been confirmed that any orders of the Sega High Grade have been shipped from P.A.?

I donno what's going on...I've been charged, both the items have been checked, so I can't really think what's going on...I'm just hoping to go to bed only to wake up with a tracking number....

Z3F

Banned
drohne said:
i've got that hori fighting stick, and it's essentially identical to the doa4 stick, or a number of hori's ps2 sticks. i don't know how much worse it is than the vshg or rap, but it suits my needs. i can nail the dlc and spod just about every time, though akira's double palm is difficult for some reason.

How does the stick feel in terms of build quality? I have the Tekken special edition stick and while it works fine, it does feel extremely cheap and flimsy.

Sho Nuff

Banned
You people are seriously torturing me. I don't know if I'm gonna be able to hold out for 360 version.

Please tell me that that the game is crappy or something :(

BboyDubC

Can someone with the VF5 High Grade stick test to see if that stick works with the 360 at all? Milky from one up said it should, but I want verification. I think I'll try to pick one up now if it does, so they don't run out or something.

Only people in japan should have the stick by now. People in cali might get it tomorrow. And it should not work on the 360 as it would have to contain the chip ms puts in their controllers.

Controller people:

Anyone (like myself) waiting for sticks and needing to play the game with a pad, I recommend setting up like this:

Triangle = Guard
R1 = Punch
R2 = Kick

You will find that thumb and first two fingers are in same position as when you use arcade buttons with VF and most stuff is a lot more comfortable and natural to pull out.

Best game ever.

Bebpo

Banned
picssss33018.jpg

picssss33020.jpg

picssss33016.jpg

picssss33009.jpg

picssss33002.jpg

Sarah has a lot of panty shots in VF5 ^^;

BboyDubC said:
I was asking specifically for Bebpo, since I know he has both consoles, to try it out.

My high grade hasn't shipped yet.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
The minute I hear the High Grade works on both PS3 and 360 is the minute I order that sumbitch.

Sadly, I have very low hopes for that being true. Very, very low. =[

Aaron

Sho Nuff said:
You people are seriously torturing me. I don't know if I'm gonna be able to hold out for 360 version.

Please tell me that that the game is crappy or something :(
Just repeat this simple mantra:

VF5 is nothing more than a minor upgrade to EVO with less content.
The 360 version will provide the content the PS3 version is lacking.

Not that I believe it, but it's sure making it easier for me to hold out for the 360 version.

Bebpo said:
Supposedly VF5 doesn't automatically use 1080i or 1080p. You have to deselect 480 and 720 under display to get them.

I guess this is because it's a 720p game and 1080i/1080p are just upscales.

this is probably a dumb question, but how do you deselect 480p? Is this something the Japanese PS3 can do, because on the US one it's grayed out and unable to be unchecked. :(

Bebpo

Banned
Damn, Shun and Lei got totally upgraded with more stances, more attacks, and just more deadly.

TheJollyCorner said:
this is probably a dumb question, but how do you deselect 480p? Is this something the Japanese PS3 can do, because on the US one it's grayed out and unable to be unchecked. :(

No idea. Maybe I'm wrong on that and you just have to deselect 720p? I dunno, I'm playing in 720p.

VF5 is too much for me :(. I might have to postpon buying a new car and get PS3 now. Fact that it would probably ruin my social life doesn't even bother me anymore :(.

Be strong...... be strong.... stop telling that this game is awesome guys.

DCharlie

Banned
i have the highgrade stick by the way .

God damn, comes in a HUGE box and it pretty weighty.
I picked up three last night (all at the same time) and nearly killed myself dropping two off with a friend whilst carting my own home.

The lever feels nice, and the weight of the thing is very nice indeed, but the buttons feel a bit weird - and a bit smaller and the spacing feels a little cramped - to me at least.

Still - it's nice enough.

Shompola

Banned
DCharlie said:
i have the highgrade stick by the way .

God damn, comes in a HUGE box and it pretty weighty.
I picked up three last night (all at the same time) and nearly killed myself dropping two off with a friend whilst carting my own home.

The lever feels nice, and the weight of the thing is very nice indeed, but the buttons feel a bit weird - and a bit smaller and the spacing feels a little cramped - to me at least.

Still - it's nice enough.

How does it feel compared to the ascii/agetech DC stick in terms of weight and overall quality? Only stick I have.

Bebpo

Banned
So uh...how do you get money?

Going through the entire arcade mode gave me around 350G

A simple item like a hairdo costs 4,000G-10,000G.

Going through quest mode sometimes I see a money bag pop up when I win but I never get money. I'm 30 - 0 and I've won 2 tournaments and I still have 0G. The only time I saw money was in the tournaments if you get 2nd or 3rd place you get cash instead of an item, but whose going to lose on purpose to make a few bucks?

So yeah, I can get orbs and items from fighting in quest mode but how do I make any money besides going through arcade mode 3 million times to outfit one character?

Bebpo said:
So uh...how do you get money?

Going through the entire arcade mode gave me around 350G

A simple item like a hairdo costs 4,000G-10,000G.

Going through quest mode sometimes I see a money bag pop up when I win but I never get money. I'm 30 - 0 and I've won 2 tournaments and I still have 0G. The only time I saw money was in the tournaments if you get 2nd or 3rd place you get cash instead of an item, but whose going to lose on purpose to make a few bucks?

So yeah, I can get orbs and items from fighting in quest mode but how do I make any money besides going through arcade mode 3 million times to outfit one character?

You just have to keep playing quest mode and do the tournaments. The prizes for tournaments keep changing so sometimes they'll offer money for first place and other times it might be an item. Harder tournaments seem to get you money in the 10K+ range.

DCharlie

Banned
How does it feel compared to the ascii/agetech DC stick in terms of weight and overall quality? Only stick I have.

quite a bit better IMO - BUT the buttons, feel a little odd. I wonder if the US stick will be spaced differently? I assume not/

Bebpo

Banned
Space A Cobra said:
You just have to keep playing quest mode and do the tournaments. The prizes for tournaments keep changing so sometimes they'll offer money for first place and other times it might be an item. Harder tournaments seem to get you money in the 10K+ range.

Do you have any idea what the money symbol is that pops up when you're just playing people in the arcades though?

I have a sneaking suspicion you have to actually lose in the arcade to cash out instead of quitting back to the quest menu when you get bored of beating the AI. I don't want to my first loss to be on purpose though so I'm not trying that...

SnakeXs

DCharlie said:
quite a bit better IMO - BUT the buttons, feel a little odd. I wonder if the US stick will be spaced differently? I assume not/

Crush my hopes now and end my suffering: Have you tried it on 360?

Bebpo said:
Do you have any idea what the money symbol is that pops up when you're just playing people in the arcades though?

I have a sneaking suspicion you have to actually lose in the arcade to cash out instead of quitting back to the quest menu when you get bored of beating the AI. I don't want to my first loss to be on purpose though so I'm not trying that...

Yeah you have to lose to get that money.

edit: Actually it looks like you only get money from losing when your the challenger. So once you beat a single person you no longer get gold when you lose. Also it seems to be only 50g so bleh.

oBa

DCharlie said:

Wait, is the Sega High Grade coming out to the states?? I thought Shane and others said it was not coming out here.

Heck, I don't want to pay exorbitant import prices if I don't have to.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Just picked up my copy of VF5 before work, and got a copy of VF 10th anniversary for PS2 with it. Nice little touch.

I`m really not looking forward to Reno coming over and beating the shit out of me with Lion. :/

Srider

Banned
If you want items in VF5, you shouldn't be trying to get money. Since most of the time, the only way to get money is by losing, this is not the way to go. It also takes forever to save up money to buy items.

The best way to get items is to play quest mode and win scramble battles. At certain arcades on certain days, the frequency of the scramble battles goes way up. It's possible to gain like 6 or 7 new items in the span of 30 mins of play time (as long as you don't blow your chances at the scramble battles). If you play a few matches and don't run into scramble battle, leave and go to another arcade.

Another way of gaining money fairly quickly (or good items), is to enter the tournaments when they happen, and win of course.

Those of you still on the fence about the game... if you have a 720p TV, just wait until you put the game in and see it in motion.

BboyDubC said:
Err, did we just watch the same match? That Lau was complete garbage. I'm surprised that the Goh player even let him get those two rounds. He looked like a masher to me. Below Average at best.
I was talking about his get-up actually. :p

I'm really taken away by the customization. I found Evo's a little disappointing.

Bookey

Professional Monk
Has anyone in the US get their high grade sticks yet? For those of you that are in Japan, is the stick widely available or kind of hit and miss at this point?

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
10 minutes until work is over...then it's mine! :D

But I promised my fiance I'd go to the gym with her right after work ARGH

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
i won 15k gold in a tournament the last time i played, and i turned the game on thinking i'd head into the shop and buy all sorts of COOL STUFF...but apparently i forgot to save, and i can't get that tournament to happen again :(

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
I ask again. Can you use the Hori stick from DOA4 with this on the 360 version. If not, I might just switch my preorder, buckle and buy another stick.

SnakeXs

Agent Icebeezy said:
I ask again. Can you use the Hori stick from DOA4 with this on the 360 version. If not, I might just switch my preorder, buckle and buy another stick.
You wanna use the 360 stick.. for the 360 version down the line?

Why wouldn't you be able to?

Top Bottom