• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Wkd Box Office 01•22-24•10 - avatar kisses goodnite, sweet knight

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meier

Discotheque said:
Not to mention it sold about 4 times the seats that Avatar has. But oh nooooo, we're just a bunch of naysayers holding Avatar back from true glory :lol

Having said that, Avatar's box office receipts are impressive. But I hate how people are acting like the 3D ticket prices didn't help it at all. If ROTK were in 3D it would have been at 2.ish billion.
3D adds about 2-3 dollars a ticket on average. You're saying it would have doubled ROTK's gross? Interesting theory.

Bananakin

Gary Whitta said:
Pretty nice hold for Eli considering we were coming off a four-day holiday weekend and up against the football on Sunday. $60.7m in 10 days! :)

I don't understand, this post doesn't have anything to do with Avatar.

But seriously, congrats Gary. Glad to see the movie do well.

Trickster

Meier said:
3D adds about 2-3 dollars a ticket on average. You're saying it would have doubled ROTK's gross? Interesting theory.

Think he's also forgetting that not ALL avatar tickets sold are for the 3d version.

jett

D-Member
I dunno how it is where you people live, but 3D tickets cost about 35% more than regular ones here. And according to data we've got 70% of the gross came from 3D screens. So if we assume all this data is correct and that the same number of people would have gone to see it if it was just a 2D movie, its hypothetical current total worldwide gross without the 3D-pricehike factor would be something like $1480 million.

Cry moar, haters.

GhaleonEB

jett said:
I dunno how it is where you people live, but 3D tickets cost about 35% more than regular ones here. And according to data we've got 70% of the gross came from 3D screens. So if we assume all this data is correct and that the same number of people would have gone to see it if it was just a 2D movie, its hypothetical current total worldwide gross without the 3D-pricehike factor would be something like $1480 million.

Cry moar, haters.
Pretty sure if you back out IMAX, the 3D ticket price premium, ticket price inflation and repeat viewers, the equivalent of about 85 people in 1945 have seen Avatar. Not impressive.

It would be nice if box office records were kept in terms of tickets sold rather than money earned. Then we wouldn't be having this conversation. Of course, the studios wouldn't want it because they couldn't get new movies in the top 10 every few years.

Torhthelm Tídwald said:
It would be nice if box office records were kept in terms of tickets sold rather than money earned. Then we wouldn't be having this conversation. Of course, the studios wouldn't want it because they couldn't get new movies in the top 10 every few years.

It would also be nice if the population stayed the same worldwide. If countries were exposed to maybe 40 movies per year instead of having an average theatre shelf life of 3 weeks and if the financial stability of every economy would remain constant. Then we could really compare.

Evlar

Banned
It seems to make sense that box office receipts are reported to the press in dollars not because the mega-corporations which make up the Hollywood machine want to impress fanboys on the Internet, but rather to impress investors, whose conventional unit of measurement is the dollar.

But maybe I'm crazy.

MIMIC

Banned
Meier said:
I actually disagree with this. I'd say the 1997 moviegoing/entertainment environment is a lot closer to 1939 than it is to 2009/2010. Piracy and the internet in general has changed everything whether it's ease of getting movies or just entertainment in general. Titanic wasn't fighting the PC nearly as much for Joe and Jane American's time.

Despite what Titanic wasn't fighting, 2009 sold more tickets than 97, 98 and 99. The stats don't support the belief that piracy and the like are driving ticket sales down by any notable margin.

When TDK was closing in on Titanic's domestic gross I didn't see anyone bringing out the tickets sold list to discredit its run. What gives?

GhaleonEB

DanielPlainview said:
Hilarious that actuals for Extraordinary Measures were $1 Million less :lol

Such a bad movie.
Holy crap, it dropped 59% on Sunday. And over the weekend CBS was talking up how it had great word of mouth. :lol

CassidyIzABeast said:
When TDK was closing in on Titanic's domestic gross I didn't see anyone bringing out the tickets sold list to discredit its run. What gives?

I think Heath Ledger's death and acting overshadowed too many "negative" comments about the film. And besides, if Avatar is going to be the most popular movie of all time, then you need more people to have seen it than Titanic. Not having grossed more money(which is largely due to the ticket prices being almost doubled).

MIMIC

Banned
gamergirly said:
I think Heath Ledger's death and acting overshadowed too many "negative" comments about the film. And besides, if Avatar is going to be the most popular movie of all time, then you need more people to have seen it than Titanic. Not having grossed more money(which is largely due to the ticket prices being almost doubled).

I think that that's an accurate assessment. Avatar may be the highest grossing movie of all time, but certainly not the most popular.

gamergirly said:
But that's the only reason Titanic is number 1:lol by tickets sold its only number 6

Son of Godzilla said:
3D quadruples the price of a matinee here...

$551,741,499 / 2 (since prices are either doubled or tripled in the case above :lol ) == $275,870.749 without the 3D cost. Neither The Dark Knight nor Titantic had doubled pricing. So, in actuality Avatar should be miles away from the number of tickets the other two films sold.

I saw all 3 films in the movie theatre. I loved all 3 of them. Millions of more people saw The Dark Knight and Titanic than Avatar. Let's be real here lol

gamergirly said:

More like people brought up Ledger's death as a way to discredit TDK's BO performance. Lots of people claimed that's the only reason it did as well as it did.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
gamergirly said:
$551,741,499 / 2 (since prices are either doubled or tripled in the case above :lol ) == $275,870.749 without the 3D cost. Neither The Dark Knight nor Titantic had doubled pricing. So, in actuality Avatar should be miles away from the number of tickets the other two films sold.

I saw all 3 films in the movie theatre. I loved all 3 of them. Millions of more people saw The Dark Knight and Titanic than Avatar. Let's be real here lol

I don't actually think that's true at all!!

LosDaddie

Banned
gamergirly said:
I think Heath Ledger's death and acting overshadowed too many "negative" comments about the film.

Did GAF care about Ledger's death that much? I mean, really? :lol

Oh and IMAX 3D prices are $3 more here in Central FL.

Dead

well not really...yet
gamergirly said:

When Avatar has finished its run, more people will have seen it vs The Dark Knight. It will have over a 100 mil lead over TDk in the end.

Not to mention internationally (1.5 Billion vs 400 million)

Dead said:
When Avatar has finished its run, more people will have seen it vs The Dark Knight. It will have over a 100 mil lead over TDk in the end.

Not to mention internationally (1.5 Billion vs 400 million)

Domestic? Nah. Because of ticket prices being doubled, it will have to top $900 million for ticket per person to math out. $650 million will be enough of a challenge.

Internationally, already has.

koam

gamergirly said:
Domestic? Nah. Because of ticket prices being doubled, it will have to top $900 million for ticket per person to math out. $650 million will be enough of a challenge.

Internationally, already has.

Don't kid yourself, ticket prices have not doubled since TDK. I don't remember paying $6.50 two years ago to see TDK, I remember paying $11. In fact, I have my receipt still :lol

Just fucking shut it already. Avatar has destroyed everything and it hasn't even been out for 2 months yet. When all is said and done, the movie will be at 2.6B and you people will still continue with your stupid excuses.

Avatar was great, so was The Dark Knight.

JGS

Banned
GhaleonEB said:
You are getting ripped off, big time. Nationally 3D adds about a 30% premium. :lol

3-D is a fixed costs (3.00) where I am regardless of matinees. So in percetage terms it's 30-50% of the ticket price. Because of this, I see very few 3D shows (Avatar being the exception) and do not see it as the wave of the future until it is standardized & priced as a regular movie.

Otherwise, I will be keeping 2D in business

He's still getting scammed though if 3D cost 30 bucks.:lol

How much is it for regular shows?

EDIT:

koam said:
Don't kid yourself, ticket prices have not doubled since TDK. I don't remember paying $6.50 two years ago to see TDK, I remember paying $11. In fact, I have my receipt still :lol

The Dark Knight wasnt in 3D. So it was standard price. Avatar is in 3D and you paid a higher price for it, whether that was 30% higher or doubled or even tripled. I mean, if you didnt go see it matinee, it was doubled as far as my debit card is concerned. $6.50 versus $13 moolah

Just fucking shut it already. Avatar has destroyed everything and it hasn't even been out for 2 months yet. When all is said and done, the movie will be at 2.6B and you people will still continue with your stupid excuses.

Avatar was great, so was The Dark Knight.

I dont think the argument is whether the two films were good or not. Most people in this thread and in general have said otherwise such as myself. But as long as the statement "gross numbers" is toted around, so will the fact be that all of us came out of more money to see Avatar in 3D. For ONE ticket. So that will be accounted for. End of story.

jmdajr

You would think people here would be happy with these critically acclaimed and mainstream accepted Comic Book/Sci Fi movies making the big time.:lol

FUCK EVERYTHING GONE WITH THE WIND FOR LIFE!

jett

D-Member
gamergirly said:

What are you, retarded?

Evlar

Banned
Cost to see The Lovely Bones this past week: $8.75 per person.
Cost to see Avatar in Real3D this past Friday: $11.50 per person.

That appears to be a 31% premium at my theater, and I believe our regular ticket prices are below the national average.

Evlar said:
Cost to see The Lovely Bones this past week: $8.75 per person.
Cost to see Avatar in Real3D this past Friday: $11.50 per person.

That appears to be a 31% premium at my theater, and I believe our regular ticket prices are below the national average.

Yeah around here regular tickets cost $11.50 (not matinee) and 3D is about $14.50

gamergirly said:

Good thing there were no 2D showings anywhere ever, and that all the 3D ended up being "double" the cost.

Makes your simple math easy for you by averaging out any silly factors like varying ticket prices all over.

Dead

well not really...yet
gamergirly said:
EDIT:

The Dark Knight wasnt in 3D. So it was standard price. Avatar is in 3D and you paid a higher price for it, whether that was 30% higher or doubled or even tripled. I mean, if you didnt go see it matinee, it was doubled as far as my debit card is concerned. $6.50 versus $13 moolah

I dont think the argument is whether the two films were good or not. Most people in this thread and in general have said otherwise such as myself. But as long as the statement "gross numbers" is toted around, so will the fact be that all of us came out of more money to see Avatar in 3D. For ONE ticket. So that will be accounted for. End of story.
Ticket Prices HAVE NOT doubled since TDK. Even in 3D. That is just flat out false.

And are you somehow forgetting the IMAX premium that TDK also had?

IMAX price is the same as IMAX 3D

Regular Evening 2D ticket = between 8-11 dollars
3D Evening showing = between 10-14 dollars

That is not doubled. And like others have said, youre forgetting that not all of Avatars showings are in 3D

Somnia

The other thing people need to realize is EVERYONE who saw Avatar (in 3D) knew it would cost more. This is a time when money isn't just there for everyone with the way the economy is. People have chose to pay a premium to see this film. Cameron took a huge gamble (with his own cash at that something you NEVER do in film) with making this movie and guess what...it paid off in huge numbers.

When the next major 3D film comes out (non-animated) and doesn't break a billion, will people stop saying it's only because of 3D????

P.S. by the end of the run on Avatar it will have sold more tickets than the TDK by a nice margin, I think it was Sharp that came up with the figures or something, but he did a bunch of mathematical takes on it to show it will have or has I can't remember.

ryutaro's mama said:
Good thing there were no 2D showings anywhere ever, and that all the 3D ended up being "double" the cost.

Makes your simple math easy for you by averaging out any silly factors like varying ticket prices all over.

Prices do vary. Only the studio companies would have "exact" numbers. Taking just an average 30% markup for 3D movies would still put Avatar at $367,827,666 on average. Im sure the number will vary due to ticket prices but it's still a long way from even The Dark Knight. It would have to continue tearing up the box office for the next couple of months for even that aspect to be eliminated.

Dead said:
Ticket Prices HAVE NOT doubled since TDK. Even in 3D. That is just flat out false.

And are you somehow forgetting the IMAX premium that TDK also had?

IMAX price is the same as IMAX 3D

Didnt Avatar beat The Dark Knight in IMAX gross? Either way, it's irrelevant.

Evlar

Banned
gamergirly said:
Prices do vary. Only the studio companies would have "exact" numbers. Taking just an average 30% markup for 3D movies would still put Avatar at $367,827,666 on average. Im sure the number will vary due to ticket prices but it's still a long way from even The Dark Knight. It would have to continue tearing up the box office for the next couple of months for even that aspect to be eliminated.
I get $424.4 million and change.

Well, I want to apologize for taking this thread offtopic. I am a little biased for The Dark Knight because I liked that film better than Avatar. So, shoot me :lol

Doubledex

Banned
gamergirly said:

Bwahahahahaha :lol :lol W T F ?!

haters-gonna-hate.gif

Go AVATAR! Destroy them all!! (Whoops, you already did)

jett

D-Member
gamergirly said:

The problem with your figures is that in your mind there are no 2D prints of Avatar. An estimated 70% of the gross is from 3D, the rest is 2D. This would currently give Avatar 460~ million without the 3D premium. At the pace it's going something like 650 million or more seems almost guaranteed. $650 million converted into 2Dbucks would be $545~ million. TDK pwnd. Now please enough of this crap. Applying this estimates to the worldwide figures more than destroys this dumb arguement of TDK vs Avatar.

This entire conversation is useless. People pay more for the 3D tickets because they want to, not because they have to. The 3D aspect of the movie is driving a lot of Avatar's success, not because it costs more, but because people have embraced it, loved it, and are willing to pay more for it. If Avatar had only been released in 2D I doubt it would have sold as much tickets as it has.

Dead

well not really...yet
gamergirly said:

You're arguing for Avatars ticket premiums and then ignore TDKs Hyped Imax release premium? You said TDK has no premium whatsoever, which is completely false.

You're also ignoring the fact that TDK was released in 1000 more theaters than Avatar was. 4,400 vs 3,400

gamergirly said:
Not as far as my bank account is concerned

Im surprised that people are getting riled up over this. Does it matter that much?
You have an incredibly weak argument.

My bank account says that Avatar has been seen by more people because the 30% increase in 3D sales does not account for all sales (not everyone has seen it in 3D, even internationally)...

so

um

I was not paying double price back when TDK came out. In fact, probably like a dollar less.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom