• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Wkd Box Office 01•22-24•10 - avatar kisses goodnite, sweet knight

Status
Not open for further replies.
jett said:
The problem with your figures is that in your mind there are no 2D prints of Avatar. An estimated 70% of the gross is from 3D, the rest is 2D. This would currently give Avatar 460~ million without the 3D premium. At the pace it's going something like 650 million or more seems almost guaranteed. $650 million converted into 2Dbucks would be $545~ million. TDK pwnd. Now please enough of this crap. Applying this estimates to the worldwide figures more than destroys this dumb arguement of TDK vs Avatar.

This entire conversation is useless. People pay more for the 3D tickets because they want to, not because they have to. The 3D aspect of the movie is driving a lot of Avatar's success, not because it costs more, but because people have embraced it, loved it, and are willing to pay more for it. If Avatar had only been released in 2D I doubt it would have sold as much tickets as it has.

Fair enough

jett

D-Member
CassidyIzABeast said:
avatar-20090922043156668_640w.jpg

I can do that

:lol

Meier

gamergirly said:
Domestic? Nah. Because of ticket prices being doubled, it will have to top $900 million for ticket per person to math out. $650 million will be enough of a challenge.

Internationally, already has.
The funny thing is that I saw TDK in IMAX too. At the time, I think it made more than any other IMAX release yet too. A ticket at the theatre near me at the new deluxe theatre is $12.50 ($2.50 surcharge for 3D) -- Matinee price is $10.00 if you can believe it. The other one I typically go to is $11/$14 for 3D.

The concept of it doubling the ticket price is so ludicrous I don't even know what to say. :lol

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Dead said:
Ticket Prices HAVE NOT doubled since TDK. Even in 3D. That is just flat out false.

And are you somehow forgetting the IMAX premium that TDK also had?

IMAX price is the same as IMAX 3D

Regular Evening 2D ticket = between 8-11 dollars
3D Evening showing = between 10-14 dollars

That is not doubled. And like others have said, youre forgetting that not all of Avatars showings are in 3D
Bullshit, Imax 3D adds an extra 3$.

All 3D showings add that extra subcharge. Imax included.

Farmboy

gamergirly said:
And besides, if Avatar is going to be the most popular movie of all time, then you need more people to have seen it than Titanic.

Actually for it to be "the most popular movie of all time", you need more people to have seen it (in theaters) than Gone With The Wind. That's unlikely to happen, of course, and attendance is likely to end up significantly lower than Titanic as well. But now that Avatar has pretty much broken every non-inflation-adjusted box office record, it's really the only thing left to track. Might be fun to try and predict where it ends up (only to be surprised yet again when it does better).

Box office mojo has Avatar at #26 in the domestic inflation-adjusted chart, although I don't think those have been adjusted for the additional cost of 3D tickets. A list which does that and factors in international gross would be best... is there one, anywhere?

Farmboy said:
Actually for it to be "the most popular movie of all time", you need more people to have seen it (in theaters) than Gone With The Wind. That's unlikely to happen, of course, and attendance is likely to end up significantly lower than Titanic as well. But now that Avatar has pretty much broken every non-inflation-adjusted box office record, it's really the only thing left to track. Might be fun to try and predict where it ends up (only to be surprised yet again when it does better).

Box office mojo has Avatar at #26 in the domestic inflation-adjusted chart, although I don't think those have been adjusted for the additional cost of 3D tickets. A list which does that and factors in international gross would be best... is there one, anywhere?

Box office mojo is the best source for number tracking. Havent came across another site that goes that far into detail for movies

Evlar

Banned
The problem with adjusting for 3D ticket prices is that it relies on the assumption that everyone who sees Avatar will do so regardless of price- that is, demand is inelastic. I see nothing to back up this assumption. If Avatar was not in 3D, or 3D had no premium, the take per ticket sold would obviously go down. This does NOT imply that Avatar would make less money in a linear relation to the difference in ticket prices, as it is quite possible more people would attend, or attend more frequently, if the cost was lower.

Farmboy

Evlar said:
The problem with adjusting for 3D ticket prices is that it relies on the assumption that everyone who sees Avatar will do so regardless of price- that is, demand is inelastic. I see nothing to back up this assumption. If Avatar was not in 3D, or 3D had no premium, the take per ticket sold would obviously go down. This does NOT imply that Avatar would make less money in a linear relation to the difference in ticket prices, as it is quite possible more people would attend, or attend more frequently, if the cost was lower.

That is true (and is a good point to keep in mind), but that's not strictly relevant when attempting to answer the question how many tickets were sold. The pricepoint was obviously set to maximize profits, likely at the expense of attendance - that doesn't mean we can't at least try to figure out how high attendance is.

It's all pretty much fun & games anyway, seeing as how these numbers are largely meaningless. Case in point: Star Wars, a national phenomenon, made less during its initial run than Superman Returns, a box office disappointment that has put its franchise in a coma. We can't rule out the possibility that one day another disappointing film makes more than Avatar in non-adjusted dollars.

MIMIC

Banned
Is there a site (or an credible article) that shows number of tickets sold internationally for the top movies? Or that adjusts for inflation for the top international movies?

Solo

Speaking of Superman Returns, Ive always found it odd that WB considered it a failure and basically killed the franchise (for a time - we all know it will return at some point) after it, despite it performing slightly BETTER than Batman Begins (SR had $200M domestic/$391M WW compared to BB's $205M domestic/$372M WW). Sure, you could say "but BB had a $150M budget compared to SR's $270M budget", and while thats true, a good $100M of SR's budget is from failed projects before SR got off the ground.

I wonder if WB regrets the move now, seeing what kind of business BB's sequel did.

Solo said:
Speaking of Superman Returns, Ive always found it odd that WB considered it a failure and basically killed the franchise (for a time - we all know it will return at some point) after it, despite it performing slightly BETTER than Batman Begins (SR had $200M domestic/$391M WW compared to BB's $205M domestic/$372M WW). Sure, you could say "but BB had a $150M budget compared to SR's $270M budget", and while thats true, a good $100M of SR's budget is from failed projects before SR got off the ground.

I wonder if WB regrets the move now, seeing what kind of business BB's sequel did.

The biggest other difference was critical and popular reaction. Especially to certain story elements which would be hard to rationalize away.

I liked SR pretty solidly (I had my issues with it, but I've still rewatched it at home several times) but I think I am in the minority. Batman begins, on the other hand, left people really excited for more.

Regardless: here's hoping WB comes up with a good script before they start pouring tons of money into director and actor contracts this time.

Wow never expected to see this kind of rivalry between fans on the OT of Neogaf.

Had this been a sales thread on Nintendo Wii vs. PS3, it would've been a bloodbath.

DanielPlainview said:
Hilarious that actuals for Extraordinary Measures were $1 Million less :lol

Such a bad movie.
It baffles me that anyone thought people would leave the house and pay $10 to see the kind of stuff they can stay home and watch on Lifetime for free.

Dead

well not really...yet
shintoki said:
Bullshit, Imax 3D adds an extra 3$.

All 3D showings add that extra subcharge. Imax included.
Not here

Regular IMAX prices are the same as 3D IMAX around here

Gosh, I didn't realize (until I read GAF) that Avatar prices are inflated and therefore the movie is a screaming failure!! Now I reast comfortably knowing that nothing is more popular than Batman!

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Solo said:

Batman Begins probably outsold Superman Returns like crazy on DVD.

Superman Returns was also a terrible movie with no real set up for a good sequel. WB probably figured no one wanted to watch another failed Lex Luthor real estate scheme. Not to mention supes was stuck with a kid.

That movie had ONE good scene. The airplane scene. Make 2 hours of that and you have a winner. The rest of it was pure rubbish.

Solo

StoOgE said:
Batman Begins probably outsold Superman Returns like crazy on DVD.

Superman Returns was also a terrible movie with no real set up for a good sequel. WB probably figured no one wanted to watch another failed Lex Luthor real estate scheme. Not to mention supes was stuck with a kid.

That movie had ONE good scene. The airplane scene. Make 2 hours of that and you have a winner. The rest of it was pure rubbish.

Oh, Im not saying that SR is even close to BB's level. Just that I found it odd that both movies performed similarly, yet WB threw Superman under the bus and made Batman their golden goose.

Although I must say Brandon Routh was great casting.

LosDaddie

Banned
Metroid Killer said:
Wow never expected to see this kind of rivalry between fans on the OT of Neogaf.

Had this been a sales thread on Nintendo Wii vs. PS3, it would've been a bloodbath.

It's really just one TDK fan not wanting to accept 2nd place :lol

Dead

well not really...yet
Solo said:
Oh, Im not saying that SR is even close to BB's level. Just that I found it odd that both movies performed similarly, yet WB threw Superman under the bus and made Batman their golden goose.

Although I must say Brandon Routh was great casting.
This might have something to do with it:

BATMAN BEGINS Production Budget: $150 million

SUPERMAN RETURNS Production Budget: $270 million

Solo

Dead said:
This might have something to do with it:

BATMAN BEGINS Production Budget: $150 million

SUPERMAN RETURNS Production Budget: $270 million

You must have not read my initial post on the matter :lol

GhaleonEB

Farmboy said:
Why on earth would you back out the added price of 3D tickets? Do those dollars not count? What about IMAX? Does that count? What if they bundle a Wiimote with the ticket?

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
jmdajr said:
You would think people here would be happy with these critically acclaimed and mainstream accepted Comic Book/Sci Fi movies making the big time.:lol
seriously these threads used to be ugh that movie sucks. faith in humanity lost! blah blah blah.

Solo

Dead said:
apparently not :(

SR's budget is like Avatar's - highly inflated to do many extraneous factors. SR itself did not cost even close to $270M to make. Its budget is probably the same as BB's was.

Dead

well not really...yet
Well, rumour is that the last 2 Harry Potter movies are going to be converted into 3D, and Clash of the Titans as well.

Will be interesting to see how they perform.

GhaleonEB

Solo said:

The number of days it took Avatar to sink Titanic
I'll toss one more out there: 20. The number of days it took to become the #2 movie of all time.

Another comment on what dollars count and don't count:

Titanic made $5m in Russia during its run. Avatar has made Over $96m in Russia through last weekend. That's not because Titanic wasn't popular, it's because the theaters Avatar is packing right now didn't exist in 1997 and 1998: the international market is much, much larger than it was 12 years ago.

So the question is, do those dollars not count? Like the 3D and IMAX premiums, Avatar is making money that Titanic could not because the market has changed. Should we discount that as well? Doing so would make precisely the same amount of logic as adjusting for ticket price premiums.

Solo

ryutaro's mama said:
Psst...Batman 3 will do it in half the time, running on all 2D screens, right gamergirly?

But then we can divide Batman 3's revenue by 7 to get the actual gross.

jett

D-Member
Solo said:

The difference is that Begins nearly doubled Superman Returns in DVD sales.

Solo

jett said:
The difference is that Begins nearly doubled Superman Returns in DVD sales.

Well, there you go. Would be nice if there was a DVD version of Box Office Mojo kicking around so that I could pull that info easily. Perhaps there is and I just dont know it.

Dead

well not really...yet
Solo said:
Well, there you go. Would be nice if there was a DVD version of Box Office Mojo kicking around so that I could pull that info easily. Perhaps there is and I just dont know it.
http://www.the-numbers.com/

Only website I know of to find DVD sales numbers, though they dont have Batman Begins numbers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom