• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Wkd Box Office 12•25-27•09 - holi shits @ Alvin & the Chipmunks. I can't. XD

Status
Not open for further replies.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Memphis Reigns said:
I know one city does not represent the entire nation but for what its worth all of the IMAX showings are sold out today in the Seattle area. I just don't see it dropping 20% overall.
KoP in PA is sold out for all of today, and only has the 10:20 showing available for tomorrow. The normal RealD showings are selling out online sporadically as well.

Avatar will continue to roll in the dough.

bud said:
why do studios keep giving zemeckis these huge budgets to keep making crappy 3d movies.

Zemeckis died around 10 years ago. The exact date is not known. But he was brought back via the Pet Semetary to plague mankind with his shitty mo-cap movies. His ultimate evil will be shown when his Who Framed Roger Rabbit sequel is released and riots erupt in the streets. Well at the very least I will riot, but it probably won't make the news as I will be quickly brought down.

wRATH2x

Banned
bud said:
why do studios keep giving zemeckis these huge budgets to keep making crappy 3d movies.
Cause they think he has another Back To The Future in him.

They are all horribly wrong.

GhaleonEB

Count of Monte Sawed-Off said:
Zemeckis died around 10 years ago. The exact date is not known. But he was brought back via the Pet Semetary to plague mankind with his shitty mo-cap movies. His ultimate evil will be shown when his Who Framed Roger Rabbit sequel is released and riots erupt in the streets. Well at the very least I will riot, but it probably won't make the news as I will be quickly brought down.
:lol
PhoenixDark said:
Those Avatar numbers don't look accurate, might have to get congress involved
He lives! In denial! :lol
StoOgE said:
Well, my numbers were off, but I was essentially right. 3d premium + buzz is driving this movie right now.

Thanks for the info.
Yup, just thought I'd toss in the exact numbers since I had a link handy.

jett

D-Member
xaosslug said:
i'm sorry, I think A&tC doing $77mil over Christmas and $50mil over the weekend is just... the bigger news this weekend. :lol My mind is fucking blowed. :lol :lol

yeah no. fail.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Well at the very least I will riot, but it probably won't make the news as I will be quickly brought down.

If by my life or death I can protect you, I will. You have my sword…

I imagine this will lead to an increase in 3-D movies, but I also imagine a good deal of those movies will be poor imitators. Few movies/directors will be given the budget and leeway Cameron was allowed. Could it create a backlash against 3-D with the more expensive ticket prices?

Then again, that last Final Destination movie cleaned up...

StoOgE said:
If by my life or death I can protect you, I will. You have my sword…

Now all we need is a bow and an axe and the riot could become an epic story told for generations to come.

xaosslug

NomarTyme said:
The first one was big, so what is the surprise?

i actually figured it'd be another case of Garfield. Where part of it is nostalgia and a vague interest to see something from childhood realized in live action on the big screen the 1st time around, but second go... not so much.

Veidt

Blasphemer who refuses to accept bagged milk as his personal savior
Domestic: $212,268,000 34.5%
+ Foreign: $402,900,000 65.5%
= Worldwide: $615,168,000

And that's not even the complete weekend apparently.
:D

NomarTyme

xaosslug said:
i actually figured it'd be another case of Garfield. Where part of it is nostalgia and a vague interest to see something from childhood realized in live action on the big screen the 1st time around, but second go... not so much.
I see what you mean, but Alvin and Chipmunk had hype while Garfield didn't have any for the sequel.

StoOgE

I imagine this will lead to an increase in 3-D movies, but I also imagine a good deal of those movies will be poor imitators. Few movies/directors will be given the budget and leeway Cameron was allowed. Could it create a backlash against 3-D with the more expensive ticket prices?

Well, more 3d screens will be installed after this for sure.

I don't think there will be a backlash against 3d films. Some will certainly be shitty, but there are always shitty imitators of something successful.

I think the hope has to be that Cameron/Fox/Weta license the shit out of the tech they used in this movie. Hopefully this film will also get the message across to other film-makers that 3d works great when used tastefully. No more of that "Oh shit, it's 3d.. look at this shit popping right up in YO FACE" like you are at Disneyworld or some crap.

My hope is that Cameron has given other directors a template on which to work going forward. I think the Hobbit has potential to step in and do it very well too (assuming they film it in 3d) simply based on the fact that Weta was involved in the project and Jackson was on-set with Cameron a good bit.

Raxus

Chipmunks made 50 million too much. Poor Princess and the Frog. Guess this means no more 2-D Disney films.

StoOgE

Now all we need is a bow and an axe and the riot could become an epic story told for generations to come.

You don't just walk into Hollywood.

How did I guess that fucking Chipmunks movie would tear it up?

It always seems that a film's success can be measured by how much the trailer for it makes me want to tear my eyes and ears out.

/hyperbole

Seriously though. Not surprising.

Veidt

GhaleonEB said:
Up to #47 on the all-time WW charts. In ten freaking days.

I lack the capacity to describe how absurd that is. 0_o

Seriously. I'm :lol half the time. This is surreal.

jett said:
TDK, POTC3 and ROTK are all fucked.
I can't wait to see how this will end.

StoOgE

SonicMegaDrive said:
How did I guess that fucking Chipmunks movie would tear it up?

It always seems that a film's success can be measured by how much the trailer for it makes me want to tear my eyes and ears out.

/hyperbole

Seriously though. Not surprising.

My little brother (Big bros, big sisters variety) really wants to see the Chipmunk movie. I can normally gauge how well a kids movie will do by how much he wants to see it.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
StoOgE said:
James Cameron just prints money.

Someone need to make a gif similar to the one with Iwata/Miyamoto and the Wii/DS printing money, but change it with Cameron and Avatar. :lol

StoOgE said:
My hope is that Cameron has given other directors a template on which to work going forward. I think the Hobbit has potential to step in and do it very well too (assuming they film it in 3d) simply based on the fact that Weta was involved in the project and Jackson was on-set with Cameron a good bit.

After this I'd be very surprised if Hobbit wasn't 3-D.

Lebron said:
Well, I'll be damned. This is the last time I bet against Cameron.

Now, bring on Battle Angel.

Hopefully he doesn't do that Fantastic Voyage remake that was rumored a few weeks back. Cameron needs to take this success and resurrect Michael Biehn's career.

Veidt

I just realized that if Avatar makes the exact same amount it made in the last 10 days. It'll be the 2nd most successful movie ever, right beneath Titanic :lol :lol

GhaleonEB

jett said:
TDK, POTC3 and ROTK are all fucked.
I don't think its even a question at this point. It's just a question of the margin.

Good lord how this conversation is different than this time two weeks ago. :lol
Jibril said:
I just realized that if Avatar makes the exact same amount it made in the last 10 days. It'll be the 2nd most successful movie ever, right beneath Titanic :lol :lol
Yeah that's what I've been saying. And if it drops 50% a week from here on out - it will STILL make #2.

It's not going to drop 50% a week. :D

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
vehn said:
Titanic was #1 for 8 MONTHS straight (just about). Doubt Avatar will do that well
If we're just talking total dollars without accounting for inflation, Avatar should do extremely well.

IMAX and 3D screens are higher ticket prices, not to mention that ticket prices are higher in general than they were for Titanic.

StoOgE

Bisnic said:
Someone need to make a gif similar to the one with Iwata/Miyamoto and the Wii/DS printing money, but change it with Cameron and Avatar. :lol

Make it rain video..

Fat Joe = Cameron's head.
Lil Wayne = Neytiri head
Birdman = Arnold or Beihn head
Diddy = Leo

Someone make it happen.

vehn said:
Titanic was #1 for 8 MONTHS straight (just about). Doubt Avatar will do that well

Yeah, I doubt Avatar will do that, but it is pulling in more money faster than Titanic. I don't think it'll beat Titanic, but at this point it has a good shot at #2. Then again what do I know, I had the movie pegged for $220 mil domestic.

gdt

GhaleonEB said:
Yeah I don't think its even a question at this point. It's just a question of the margin.

Good lord how this conversation is different than this time two weeks ago. :lol

Yeah that's what I've been saying. And if it drops 50% a week from here on out - it will STILL make #2.

It's not going to drop 50% a week. :D

:lol

Taste the happy, Michael.

Taste the happy.

koam

I'm going to see it twice next week, once in Imax 3D and the other time in 2D, yes 2D.

That will be 3 in total (first was realD)

Edt: Was the abyss any good? It's the only Cameron movie that I haven't seen.

TacticalFox88 said:
Is it too much of a stretch to saythat Avatar 2 or 3(if they happen) will be the top grossing movies of all time?

it is quite a stretch. Nothing is going to top Titanic. It's like Wilt Chamberlain's stats in the NBA. Just too far out there.

Weenerz

Banned
I admit it, I kind of wanted this to fail, only because he spent so much time and money. And the hype was just so big. But after seeing it the night it released in glorious 3D, I will never again bet against The Film Deity James Cameron.

FoneBone

vehn said:
No it wasn't. It was more like 4 months (in the US, I don't know about worldwide). Avatar won't do that, but it doesn't really need to.

koam

Ninja Scooter said:
it is quite a stretch. Nothing is going to top Titanic. It's like Wilt Chamberlain's stats in the NBA. Just too far out there.

What was Titanic's domestic and world gross?

Oh nevermind, BOM just came back up.

TOTAL LIFETIME GROSSES
Domestic: $600,788,188 32.6%
+ Foreign: $1,242,091,767 67.4%
= Worldwide: $1,842,879,955

syllogism

Ninja Scooter said:
Perhaps not going to top Titanic adjusted but it is inevitable it will otherwise be surpassed eventually

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom