• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Wkd Box Office 12•25-27•09 - holi shits @ Alvin & the Chipmunks. I can't. XD

Status
Not open for further replies.

jett

D-Member
vehn said:
Titanic was #1 for 8 MONTHS straight (just about). Doubt Avatar will do that well

Not quite, but it did take Titanic around 8 months to reach 600 million domestic.

GhaleonEB

koam said:
What was Titanic's domestic and world gross?

Oh nevermind, BOM just came back up.

TOTAL LIFETIME GROSSES
Domestic: $600,788,188 32.6%
+ Foreign: $1,242,091,767 67.4%
= Worldwide: $1,842,879,955
And compare that to everything else.

http://boxofficemojo.com/alltime/world/

Titanic: $1.84b
RoTK: $1.12b

Just a huge chasm between them.

And Avatar is already lined up to jump over RotK.

jett

D-Member
Ninja Scooter said:
Nolan sees that Cameron did and is planning on making the next Batman movie 4D with $30 tickets.

And it will be fully filmed in IMAX at 48fps. Cameron beaten to the punch.

GhaleonEB

Jibril said:
Yup. That's the scary and utterly hilarious part. :lol
Like you, I'm laughing half the time in this thread. Partly out of glee, and partly out of sheer stuptification. It's awesome and hilarious and wildly improbable, and yet here we are. Just WTF. :lol

Veidt

Blasphemer who refuses to accept bagged milk as his personal savior
GhaleonEB said:
Like you, I'm laughing half the time in this thread. Partly out of glee, and partly out of sheer stuptification. It's awesome and hilarious and wildly improbable, and yet here we are. Just WTF. :lol
Yeah. I'm having a total WTF moment in life right now. Just what in the hell. :lol

JB1981

bud said:
why do studios keep giving zemeckis these huge budgets to keep making crappy 3d movies.

Christmas Carol was a good movie, and Beowulf was interesting subject matter. At least he tried with that movie. His last two 3D movies have NOT been crap. Not by a long shot.

gdt

JB1981 said:
Christmas Carol was a good movie, and Beowulf was interesting subject matter. At least he tried with that movie. His last two 3D movies have NOT been crap. Not by a long shot.

They look awful.

CassidyIzABeast said:
what would it take for avatar not to make a billion dollars?
It'd literally have to have a consistent drop higher than 60%. It's pretty much steamrolling right now. Two weeks ago GAF thought 400 million would be a stretch, hell and now were talking about surpassing ROTK.:lol It's pretty mindblowing to say the least.

FoneBone

No way it doesn't take #2 worldwide at this point. Less certain about it taking #2 domestic, but it'll at least come damn close.

JB1981

gdt5016 said:
They look awful.

Christmas Carol was marketed TERRIBLY. It's actually quite a literate re-telling of the classic Dickens story. Carrey is excellent in the film and the 3D is very impressive. I very much enjoyed the movie.

gdt

JB1981 said:
Christmas Carol was marketed TERRIBLY. It's actually quite a literate re-telling of the classic Dickens story. Carrey is excellent in the film and the 3D is very impressive. I very much enjoyed the movie.

Visually, I mean.

GhaleonEB

gdt5016 said:
Visually, I mean.
Agree, though the marketing didn't help. The poster is Carrey on a cannon flying through the air making a silly face. I recall the trailer emphasizing stuff like that.

Any interest I had in seeing the movie, the marketing killed.

JB1981

GhaleonEB said:
Agree, though the marketing didn't help. The poster is Carrey on a cannon flying through the air making a silly face. I recall the trailer emphasizing stuff like that.

Any interest I had in seeing the movie, the marketing killed.

Yea, I completely understand but the movie was made with class. There is one sequence in the movie that is kind of gimmicky and geared toward children, but that's it. The movie was written for adults and it also has quite scary sequences. The dialog is more sophisticated than AVATAR's, really ....

koam

The thing about Avatar is that people know that they will not be able to see this movie in 3d at home for a really long time. It's like in the 80s when arcades had more powerful graphics than consoles. It's driving people back into the theaters. It will have long legs.

Veidt

koam said:
The thing about Avatar is that people know that they will not be able to see this movie in 3d at home for a really long time. It's like in the 80s when arcades had more powerful graphics than consoles. It's driving people back into the theaters. It will have long legs.

Which is also a great shield against piracy.

Peff said:
Ugh, Alvin>Princess and the Frog is awful. I hope Disney doesn't give up on 2D animation. And they're releasing the movie worldwide next month too :-/

Should have released it as TYLER PERRY'S The Princess Frog and maybe more folks would have gone to see it.

I would have gone to see it, but ffffffffuck musicals. FUCK MUSICALS! FUCK THEM! :mad:

Wrath2X said:
I still haven't seen Avatar :(

When it's streaming on Netflix, maybe I'll watch it. Assuming there's a massive entertainment drought.

noisome07

Banned
Chinner said:
solo are you ok?

From the Avatar thread:

Solo said:
Im finally (its been 6 days since my last - withdrawel total!) getting in my third Avatar viewing late this afternoon. Cannot wait. By the time Ive returned, the weekend box office estimates will have been out for a few hours, so I expect you guys to pick up the slack in the gloating area that I will not be able to provide :lol

Veidt

I remember Solo saying this will do over 1 billion. Looks like he is not too far off :lol

wRATH2x

Banned
Doubledex said:
SEE IT! SEE IT 5 TIMES!!! YOU HAVE TO!!
There's no cinemas in Saudi Arabia so I have to go to Bahrain, and I have to wait till my Passport is sent back by the Visa people. :(

Wrath2X said:
There's no cinemas in Saudi Arabia so I have to go to Bahrain, and I have to wait till my Passport is sent back by the Visa people. :(

That's some dedication!

Looking at your, um, avatar I am reminded that MJ would have loved this movie. I am still waiting for some fan to edit clips of Avatar to the sound of Earth Song.

wRATH2x

Banned
Count Dookkake said:
That's some dedication!

Looking at your, um, avatar I am reminded that MJ would have loved this movie. I am still waiting for some fan to edit clips of Avatar to the sound of Earth Song.
Yeah I'm sure he would, still can't believe he's gone.

Anyway I really can't wait to see Avatar! :D

deadhorse32

Bad Art ™
GhaleonEB said:
And compare that to everything else.

http://boxofficemojo.com/alltime/world/

Titanic: $1.84b
RoTK: $1.12b

Just a huge chasm between them.

And Avatar is already lined up to jump over RotK.

Just for the record
http://boxofficemojo.com/alltime/adjusted.htm

Code:
1	Gone with the Wind	MGM	$1,450,680,400	$198,676,459	1939^
2	Star Wars	Fox	$1,278,898,700	$460,998,007	1977^
3	The Sound of Music	Fox	$1,022,542,400	$158,671,368	1965
4	E.T.: The Extra-Terrestrial	Uni.	$1,018,514,100	$435,110,554	1982^
5	The Ten Commandments	Par.	$940,580,000	$65,500,000	1956
6	Titanic	Par.	$921,523,500	$600,788,188	1997
7	Jaws	Uni.	$919,605,900	$260,000,000	1975
8	Doctor Zhivago	MGM	$891,292,600	$111,721,910	1965
9	The Exorcist	WB	$793,883,100	$232,671,011	1973^
10	Snow White	Dis.	$782,620,000	$184,925,486	1937^

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Glad to see Sherlock Holmes is a hit (barring a massive week 2 drop). I really dug the first and am already anticipating at least a couple of sequels.

Hopefully this will lead to other smarter period action films. I want to see a modern take on Jack the Ripper, among other things.

Haven't seen Avatar yet, so I'll withold judgement there.

Decado

Wrath2X said:
Well I guess the technology behind Avatar will take off, which is awesome.

Bring in the new awesomeness!
Note to R. Scott:

Get The Forever War into production NOW!

If this doesn't get that project rolling, nothing will.

Decado

GDJustin said:
Glad to see Sherlock Holmes is a hit (barring a massive week 2 drop). I really dug the first and am already anticipating at least a couple of sequels.

Hopefully this will lead to other smarter period action films. I want to see a modern take on Jack the Ripper, among other things.

Haven't seen Avatar yet, so I'll withold judgement there.
I'd have to agree...though if they're all PG-13 I'll pass. It made sense for this character (despite the director), though. I'd still like to see an "R" rated cut if it was on the table.

I have yet to see Avatar, but goddamn, it BARELY moved. And that's with two massive new releases in tow.

That said, I should probably work on organizing a trip to Navy Pier before all that's left for this week are crap seats.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom