• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Wkd Box Office 12•25-27•09 - holi shits @ Alvin & the Chipmunks. I can't. XD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Barrett2

koam said:
I hope you were being sarcastic (Terminator 2, Aliens)

I don't count Aliens, since he didn't do the first. I just meant that out of the films he has done, he only personally (that I know of) went on to do one sequel, and that was decades ago.

koam

lawblob said:
I don't count Aliens, since he didn't do the first. I just meant that out of the films he has done, he only personally (that I know of) went on to do one sequel, and that was decades ago.

He's only made 6 movies, 2 are sequels. Even if you remove Aliens he's still done one sequel and it's awesome. As for your decades ago, it was two movies ago :p

Canova

Banned
Forkball said:
Anyone surprised that Sherlock Holmes made $65 mil? This is definitely going to turn into a big franchise now.

it's a very enjoyable movie. The pacing is good, the English Victorian setting is wonderful, there are some actions, some detective story. overall it's just good movie.

can't wait for the second one.

ccbfan

Forkball said:
Anyone surprised that Sherlock Holmes made $65 mil? This is definitely going to turn into a big franchise now.

Personally me as well as a bunch of people only went to see it because Robert Downey JR was in it.

When we talked about potential movies to watch we didn't even mention it as Sherlock Holmes. We just called it the new Robert Downey JR movie (or Iron man guy movie).

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
I don't think it will reach 1.8b.

Need to see how it fairs outside of the holiday season though.

Ninja Scooter said:
Titanic is at like $1.8 billion. Avatar has no chance.

It actually has a good chance. I can’t believe people are still doubting AVATAR! :lol

And I really do wish The Princess and the Frog did better.....it deserves more love.

GhaleonEB

Tricky I Shadow said:
It actually has a good chance. I can’t believe people are still doubting AVATAR! :lol

And I really do wish The Princess and the Frog did better.....it deserves more love.
I keep saying this (in both threads!), but anyone saying Avatar has no chance needs to dump the WW numbers in a spreadsheet and do some crunching. I wouldn't say it's likely, but it's well within the realm of possibility, given the trajectory, the season and the competition.

Plus, it's not like there are any movies that will infringe upon its success. The people seeing Sherlock Holmes/Alvin II are not the same crowd going to see Avatar, for the most part.

jett

D-Member
ZephyrFate said:
Plus, it's not like there are any movies that will infringe upon its success. The people seeing Sherlock Holmes/Alvin II are not the same crowd going to see Avatar, for the most part.

It also has 3D and IMAX theaters all to itself for months.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
CassidyIzABeast said:

As someone who used to work in a theater, it is amazing the number of people who show up just to see something. anything.

I'm not one of those people (I also use Fandango when I go to a movie.. the extra dollar is worth knowing I have a ticket).

But there are a shitload of people that will just see some other movie if their first choice is sold out. Especially on a holiday.

StoOgE said:
As someone who used to work in a theater, it is amazing the number of people who show up just to see something. anything.

I'm not one of those people (I also use Fandango when I go to a movie.. the extra dollar is worth knowing I have a ticket).

But there are a shitload of people that will just see some other movie if their first choice is sold out. Especially on a holiday.

I imagine a lot of these folks are the assholes talking and texting during the show.

StoOgE said:
I count 9.

Doco's are not features. Pirahna 2 had almost all footage Cameron shot discarded and barred him from having any control over the final picture - not his film. T2-3D is a ride, not a feature film.

MIMIC

Banned
Oh my goodness. A 2.6% drop?

I really haven't had any interest in this movie, but it has a great RT score and now this drop (if you can even call it that).....apparently I'm missing out on SOMETHING :lol Guess I'll try and see it later in the week.

Parham

Banned
It's such a shame that The Princess and the Frog did so poorly in the US. Hopefully it fairs better internationally.

gdt

MIMIC said:
Oh my goodness. A 2.6% drop?

13zbgwg.jpg

Meier

xaosslug said:
yes, because everyone figured the Squeakquel would do $70+ mil. over 5 days. Err... :lol I KNOW I didn't. *shrug*

this weekend was very... very. But, the thread title can accommodate only so many characters and yes, at times reflects my individual take on the weekend. :p
Put it this way. Alvin is up $20 on HSX versus Sherlock being up $50. Sherlock is the much bigger number. Fortunately I was long on both. :)

Avatar final number likely will be closer to even or up. Btw, giving myself some serious props for sticking with my guns and saying it would be a massive hit even when so many doubted.

Also, saw SH tonight and enjoyed it quite a bit -- gf and my dad loved it. Sequel has already been greenlit btw.

Rlan

Down here in Australia I had a very hard time trying to find somewhere to get into Sherlock Holmes. The first one we tried to get into was sold out, the second session we had to sit at the very very front row. This was on Saturday.

Prine

Banned
Bravo Cameron.... Bravo.

I will be watching this again on IMAX, as soon as seats are available. Fully booked here in London til 8th Jan.

I have more people that want to see it with me. 6 and growing.

Prine

Banned
canova said:
it's a very enjoyable movie. The pacing is good, the English Victorian setting is wonderful, there are some actions, some detective story. overall it's just good movie.

can't wait for the second one.

I loved the humor, and Watson was a badass. Very enjoyable movie with very likable characters.

mjc

Sherlock Holmes was a good movie for sure. Law and Downey Jr had great chemistry and the action meshed pretty well with the mystery and detective aspects of the story.

Definitely worth catching at some point.

legend166 said:
So is Sherlock Holmes good? I'm going to see it in a couple of hours. I've pretty much heard zero impressions.

Well you're probably seeing it right now, but yes it is really good. My favorite movie I've seen this holiday season.

xrich said:
:lol :lol a good chance? its a fucking given.

It's extremely probable, but never count your chickens before they hatch.

koam

Right, 7, my bad, I forgot about True Lies :(

Either way, he still has the best sequel of all time under his belt. If Avatar has taught us anything, its never bet against Cameron, our lord and savior.

gdt

Snowman Prophet of Doom said:
Well, it seems that Guy Ritchie has made a commercially successful movie. That's new.

Hmm...

me said:
For Sherlock, it's a battle between RDJ's starpower, and Richie's black hole power. Somewhere in the middle is Sherlock's opening BO.

lol

JdFoX187

Banned
Snowman Prophet of Doom said:
I don't know. That Cop Out movie (which he didn't write) seems like it could make decent bank, if only for Bruce Willis being in it.
Bruce Willis' presence didn't help Surrogates. Though, that was a piece of shit movie anyway.

Dead

well not really...yet
CassidyIzABeast said:
If avatar does indeed break a billi..The hell kind of numbers will Avatar 2 do?
I dont think its a question of IF anymore

It looks like it might make between 750-850 million overseas alone.

artist

Banned
Forkball said:
Yeah I was, personally I thought best it could do was 55M.

Pctx

Banned
Sherlock was great. Going to be seeing Avatar in 3D next weekend. Can't wait. hopefully the 3rd week will less than 4.2% drop :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom