• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Worldwide Nintendo Wii Launch Thread

Memles

Mmmmm...45.99 CDN for Wiimotes? I like it. I'll pick one up at that price, methinks, so I can play some multiplayer tennis when I get home for Christmas.

good opening post Amir0x. should be a good thread.

i'm more excited for f-zero x on virtual console than f-zero snes. i had an n64 that i left in england when i emigrated and that's the game on it i miss most.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
*starts taking notes for official threads*

great thread, Im not getting any new console for now at least. have fun!

SantaC

Gold Member
The great demand for Wii is of course powered by Zelda. The thought of having this game in a month will be great! Everything else has to wait as time stops :D

koam

YARR!

My men's health has a funny little reference to the wii this month:

How can I get my girlfriend into playing videogames?

Nicole Beland: Calling her over to watch you pistol-whip a hooker in GTA or solve the riddle of the moon druids in Myst IV is not the way. Maybe you should buy that new Nintendo system with the stupid name, Wii. It is designed in part to suck video-game-dissing women into the virtual world. Personally, I'm addicted to Rockstar Games' Table Tennis and Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell Chaos Theory.

Mar

Wiiiiiiiiiiii.

I'm pretty excited. Even got Vook's Calendar printed out and stuck on my wall at work. Counting down the days...

It's mainly the Wii and Monkey Ball combo that's got to me. I haven't been this excited for a console / game combo since the SNES and Street Fighter 2. Then after the Wii of course, will be PS3 and Silent Hill 5 (a year away probably).

It's a great time to be a gamer!

Xdrive05

So the 16mb 1t-sram was replaced with 64mb of the same RAM? I thought the 64mb was in addition to it, and that it was GDDR3 instead. How sure are we of the former?

Batongen

Banned
I like your academic style Amirox, very structured. I hope it continues when the first "OMGZ, I played the Wii!" impressions are starting to come in.

dkeane

SantaC said:
The great demand for Wii is of course powered by Zelda. The thought of having this game in a month will be great! Everything else has to wait as time stops :D
Exactly, I'm playing though OOT in anticipation. Can't wait for some new Zelda, and to **** some patients up in Trauma Center!

Hmmmm... I missed out on the preorder event at gamestop/eb games. they were sold out before I had a chance to get into a store. What should I do? Try to preorder through their site or would stopping at a brick and mortar store suffice for launch day? Ugh. Dont really wanna stand in line to buy a console.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Hey Amirox. Maybe we can add a Wii Connect Features section for supported games like Wii Sports. (Online leader boards confirmed).

Also, can we all start bombing NOA to release Wii Play this year. We are going to get screwed out of a controller+game combo if we don't act fast.

Let's not let another Band Bros. happen. NOA has proven to make stupid decisions in the past.

reminder

Don't know if anyone cares:

Wii Releasedate for Switzerland is December 7th too because some Regions have a Holiday on December 8th. This was confirmed by Waldmeier AG (distributor for Nintendo Articles in Switzerland).

MMaRsu

Banned
You always create the best threads Amir0x :).

Still so long till Euro launch :(. But all is well, it's coming out 1 day after my birthday :D .

SantaC

Gold Member
Xdrive05 said:
So the 16mb 1t-sram was replaced with 64mb of the same RAM? I thought the 64mb was in addition to it, and that it was GDDR3 instead. How sure are we of the former?

doesn't the Wii have 24MB 1t-sram and 64MB of external GDDR3 ram?

Amir0x

Banned
Shikamaru Ninja said:
Also, can we all start bombing NOA to release Wii Play this year. We are going to get screwed out of a controller+game combo if we don't act fast.

Personally, I'm more interested in that 5000 WiiPoints + Classic Controller combo. That shit HAS to come to the USA...

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
how do you do that bullet thing btw. do you this stuff on Word first then copy and paste it?

This is it folks!

Prepare for launch of the Nintendo Wii console -- boldly going where others have yet to imagine, paving the way for future missions into unexplored market share.

:p

rpshuttlelaunchey9.jpg

Xdrive05

MMaRsu said:
You always create the best threads Amir0x :).

Still so long till Euro launch :(. But all is well, it's coming out 1 day after my birthday :D .

For real. This is like his greatest ever. I don't think even the awesome E3 thread was quite this great. Not to be kissing your arse, man, but this is phenominal work. You make GAF even better than it already is.

dyls

Not sure if these are confirmed, but this site lists Donkey Kong, DK Jr., Mario Bros. and Pinball as what I assume are VC titles.

link

Amir0x

Banned
Xdrive05 said:
For real. This is like his greatest ever. I don't think even the awesome E3 thread was quite this great. Not to be kissing your arse, man, but this is phenominal work. You make GAF even better than it already is.

Personally, this is the best one i made. I think, anyway. Although, this thread isn't done yet.

Xdrive05

SantaC said:
doesn't the Wii have 24MB 1t-sram and 64MB of external GDDR3 ram?

Originally it was said to be 24MB 1t-sram, 16mb for textures (like the gamecube), and 64mb GDDR3 external which can be accessed by both the GPU and CPU.

Then it was said to be 24MB 1t-sram and 64mb GDDR3 and that's all, with NO 16mb.

Now it's being said to be 24MB 1t-sram and 64mb 1t-sram instead, also with no 16mb.

It's kind of confusing at this point. We need some real hardware stats to know for sure.

Log4Girlz

Amir0x said:
DOT-DOT-DOT

NERF WARLOCKS

Oh wait. Anyhoo, I really wish I could pick one up, but I'm in dire financial straights. So far I'd only pick up Zelda if I had the chance, but there's a huge GC backlog that I could pick from in addition.

Amir0x

Banned
dyls said:
Not sure if these are confirmed, but this site lists Donkey Kong, DK Jr., Mario Bros. and Pinball as what I assume are VC titles.

link

I think it's a no-brainer that Donkey Kong is there, you can even see the game in the Wii Channel photo :D

Xdrive05

I'm gonna try to get my girlfriend to stand in line at my TRU on the 29th for a pre-order. That is, if my store is doing a midnight launch. Need to talk to my manager about that I guess.

PS: TRU employes are NOT allowed to pre-order AT ALL. Their families can, but they can't themselves. So you shouldn't have to worry about the usual Gamestop employee rapage of stock when you order one at Toys.

blahness

is anyone else planning on getting one at Costco? Does anyone know if they usually have the bundles available on the exact launch day?

LOCK

Can't believe its only a month away. Must avoid buying too many DS games so I can get lots of Wii games. :/

AniHawk

Everything is finally all paid off in full.

Wii
Wii Remote
Nunchuk
Classic Controller
2000 Wii Points
The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (+ strategy guide
not that I'm using it because I think I'll get stuck. I get them for all the big megagames I like
)
Metal Slug Anthology
Trauma Center: Second Opinion
Super Monkey Ball: Banana Blitz
Rayman: Raving Rabbids
Excite TRUCK

Can't wait to play all of them, to be honest. I'll probably hold on to the Wii points for a bit, but I want to check out Ristar at the very least.

Zeed

Banned
Oh man one month until I can get my dirty hands on Trauma Center!

It's going to be so delicious.

I can't wait to lick the disk.

A couple of questions.

What's with the start-up disc? I don't remember ever reading about it, and I'm confused as for what it's purpose is.

Also, was it ever confirmed that Opera was indeed free for the first 6 months? I remember reading that but don't remember any confirmation.

And one more, the SD mem cards...those are the official memory cards then? A Nintendo-made card? Or can ANY SD card be used for game saves?

Amir0x

Banned
BrandNew said:
A couple of questions.

What's with the start-up disc? I don't remember ever reading about it, and I'm confused as for what it's purpose is.

Apparently, Nintendo has already created many Wii's and because the interface/etc was constantly getting tweaked leading up to this launch, it's likely gonna be an update to firmware.

BrandNew said:
And one more, the SD mem cards...those are the official memory cards then? A Nintendo-made card? Or can ANY SD card be used for game saves?

Iirc, any will work... up to 2GB, it's not confirmed if the 4GB ones work yet.

For me at launch:

Wii Console
Wiimote
Nunchuck
Classic Controller
Zelda
Red Steel
Trauma Center OR Monkey Ball (haven't decided)

For any in the Cincinnati area (that didn't preorder) how are you guys approaching launch? Me and a couple buddies are gonna be camping out a couple hours before midnight, but... uh... we don't know where yet and I've always preordered before this time. We were thinking either Target or Circuit City, or the Best Buy in Tri-County. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Amir0x said:
Personally, this is the best one i made. I think, anyway. Although, this thread isn't done yet.

Beats Wikipedia

Amir0x said:
Personally, I'm more interested in that 5000 WiiPoints + Classic Controller combo. That shit HAS to come to the USA...

I'm buying two of those! 10000JPY worth of retro and 2 Player gaming FTW

I am not quite sure PS3 in my hands will be able to quench my frustration of 10 day gap between US and JPN releases. 10 days of GAF Wii threads. *goes back to fiddle with Club Nintendo Wiimote*

Top Bottom