• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Worldwide VC, WiiWare, & DSiWare Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jiggy said:
I forgot how long some of these Ogre Battle maps could take--it's over three hours for an individual map on occasion.* Still so addictive, though, and by far the most hours you could get out of a single-player game on Virtual Console; even the great Shining Force games have nothing on this length-wise.

I've only played a bit of Ogre Battle 64 -- not the original, but isn't a lot of time wasted on walking?

Also, in regards to Turbo Gfx 16, you can't really blame people for not including it in the 16 bit console wars. I never even knew it existed until the war was well over!

Jiggy

Mockingbird said:
I've only played a bit of Ogre Battle 64 -- not the original, but isn't a lot of time wasted on walking?
From what I remember, Ogre Battle 64 made walking a lot more relevant (smarter enemies and the great addition of being able to chart multiple points for a unit to visit in one go) and also a fraction of the speed of the original--a very low fraction. So yes, a lot of time is wasted on walking in that game.

In SNES Ogre Battle, to walk from one end of the largest stages to the other would probably only take a unit about a minute unless it had some kind of poor movement type. In fact, I'll turn on my Wii and time this right now, but I'm pretty sure walking isn't the time-consuming issue in OB--I spend the great majority of my time trying to manipulate battle tactics and unit formations so that I always wipe out leaders last. And not very far in, you even get to buy however many Boots items you want, which teleport units to any liberated city.

Edit: Yep, it takes almost exactly one minute for a normal Plains unit to get from your base to the enemy base in the City of Malano, one of the largest maps in the game. (Your base is Trieste and the enemy base is Malano.)

And here's an example of flying speed: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WxLuqcdwpyw
That's a High Sky unit, so it's faster than everything else in OB and not fully representative, but it should give some idea.

Also, in regards to Turbo Gfx 16, you can't really blame people for not including it in the 16 bit console wars. I never even knew it existed until the war was well over!
I didn't know it existed until Virtual Console either. I'm just sad that because it was so overlooked, I'll probably never be able to play a ton of the greatness in those videos. :O

Wilsongt

WII-KLY UPDATE: ONE WIIWARE GAME AND ONE VIRTUAL CONSOLE GAME ADDED TO WII SHOP CHANNEL

March 9, 2009

Remember when Grandma used to mark your height on the wall every so often, just to see how fast you were growing? Well, if the Wii™ Shop Channel had its own growth chart, she'd be impressed at how the selection of great games keeps getting bigger and bigger each week. Take a look at the latest additions and you'll discover a pair of different yet equally engaging titles: a thrilled-packed WiiWare™ shooter and a classic SEGA adventure for the Virtual Console™. Thanks to this steady stream of new games, your own library ought to be growing up fast, too.

Nintendo adds new and classic games to the Wii Shop Channel at 9 a.m. Pacific time every Monday. Wii owners with a high-speed Internet connection can redeem Wii Points™ to download the games. Wii Points can be purchased in the Wii Shop Channel or at retail outlets. This week's new games are:

WiiWare

Gradius ReBirth (Konami, 1 player, Rated E for Everyone-Mild Fantasy Violence, 1,000 Wii Points): Blast your way through levels filled with alien spaceships and otherworldly creatures in this retro side-scrolling shooter. Pick your weapons carefully and upgrade them to create a devastating arsenal of space-aged weapons that will aid you in your challenging mission. Players can post their high scores to worldwide leader boards via Nintendo® Wi-Fi Connection and see where they rank against all the other Gradius ReBirth players. Test your skills with Gradius ReBirth and see if you have what it takes to beat this action-packed arcade shooter.

Virtual Console

Alex Kidd: The Lost Stars™ (SEGA MASTER SYSTEM, 1 player, Rated E for Everyone-Comic Mischief, Crude Humor, 500 Wii Points): In this platformer from the 1980s, help Alex Kidd in a race against time to find the 12 missing zodiac signs hidden in six challenging levels-including toyland, the robot factory and an outer-space level-all complete with crazy enemies.

For more information about Wii, please visit wii.com.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Wilsongt said:
WII-KLY UPDATE: ONE WIIWARE GAME AND ONE VIRTUAL CONSOLE GAME ADDED TO WII SHOP CHANNEL

March 9, 2009

Remember when Grandma used to mark your height on the wall every so often, just to see how fast you were growing? Well, if the Wii™ Shop Channel had its own growth chart, she'd be taking it to the doctor for steroids and checking the cost feasibility of the shin implants that make you taller.

Fixed.

VAIL

I am so happy that the VC has made people aware of the awesome that is the Tg-16/P.C. Engine. Being way into it back in the day, I felt like an outcast because when I would talk about it, I'd get blank stares.

Wilsongt said:
Virtual Console

Alex Kidd: The Lost Stars™ (SEGA MASTER SYSTEM, 1 player, Rated E for Everyone-Comic Mischief, Crude Humor, 500 Wii Points): In this platformer from the 1980s, help Alex Kidd in a race against time to find the 12 missing zodiac signs hidden in six challenging levels-including toyland, the robot factory and an outer-space level-all complete with crazy enemies.

246p17t.png

2a660lj.png

2qa4rno.png

Gradius Rebirth, nice. It even features Dr. Venom from the MSX series. :)

Lost Stars is a decent platformer but by far the weirdest in the Alex Kidd series. He screams like an effeminate man baby every time he dies and there's nekkid dudes in one level that fart skulls at you. Not joking.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
:lol

Lost Stars was another of the few SMS games that I NEVER managed to find on store shelves. Don't really remember hearing if it was good or not at the time.. but definitely curious about it being that I never had a chance to play it.

Rlan

Lost Stars was never very good either. In terms of Alex Kidd games, Miracle and Shinobi Worlds are far better.

Jiggy said:
I forgot how long some of these Ogre Battle maps could take--it's over three hours for an individual map on occasion.*

Did we play the same Ogre Battle? My dad and I must have been playing it wrong when we first got the game because the later maps were taking four, six, nine hours to complete. I never finished the game (or even got close for that matter) because I couldn't beat the battle maps at the midpoint of the game in one sitting. I remember for one of the final maps, my dad, who did beat the game, started in the late afternoon, played through the evening, slept with the SNES on, and finished it sometime around noon the next day. Now, I'll admit my dad was obsessive compulsive and insisted on scouring every last square inch of every map in search of hidden treasure, which probably extended his playtime, but I would say the average Ogre Battle map has to take more than three hours complete. Has to.

Didn't have an instruction manual to go with the game either. It was the first game I bought used (from a video store) because I never saw it available at retail. I spent hours looking for a way to save during the course of a battle - thought for sure the developers had to have included such a feature. Never stumbled across the proper button combination though. :lol

Somnid

Well I wasn't expecting that. I guess it's time to filter Smash Bros into that inexplicably delayed pile.

On the other hand, at least we finally get the inexplicably delayed Gradius Rebirth.

Melee is good too. I mean why ask for a duck when you already have a phoenix?

Lame update this week btw. I would have thought they'd release C64 games with some sort of regularity but oh yeah Nintendo + VC = No goddamned sense.

Capndrake

Dave Long said:
Gradius Rebirth? How is it?
When it was first released in Japan I heard multiple people say it's incredibly mediocre. Only five stages and apparently it's much easier than previous games too.

bryehn

Gradius is super easy, even allows you to up your ship stock to 7. It runs in 480i and the text is seriously blurry. Not very impressed at all, but having a new SHMUP is always nice.

Vinci

Danish
Grabbed Ogre Battle and all of the Art Style games. My wife saw a video of the Art Style games and was like, "Download these today or I will make you sorry." Considering how imaginative she can be, I felt that was threat enough.

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
Well, that was...unexpected.

I was going to ask how Alex Kidd was, but then I saw the pixellated naked guy and decided not to bother. D: I'd consider Gradius, but when I can get the original or Life Force for half the price...doesn't seem worth it.

Jiggy

FFantasyFX said:
Did we play the same Ogre Battle? My dad and I must have been playing it wrong when we first got the game because the later maps were taking four, six, nine hours to complete.
Well, I'm not at the later maps yet (I was just commenting on where I was, which I think was somewhere around map eight when I posted that), but it wouldn't surprise me if that was the case by the very end. I do remember that I eventually quit playing the PSX version even though I was only three or four maps from finishing, due to feeling like they were too long.

That said, if by any chance you were regularly setting party tactics to "Leader," or even doing anything at all other than trying to kill enemy party leaders last (so that they can't heal and come back), that would have immensely extended playing time.

THANK YOU. I can finally stop griping about the lack of Gradius ReBirth. :lol

I'll be buying up some Wii Points later. Maybe I'll pick up another WiiWare game while I'm at it. I've been neglecting WiiWare in favor of VC since it launched.

Jiggy

VAIL said:
I am so happy that the VC has made people aware of the awesome that is the Tg-16/P.C. Engine.
I'll be honest: if it could be considered such just hypothetically, then the TG16 would be very easily my second favorite system of "this gen." :p Such a paradise of 2D shooters and action-adventures/RPGs of both the scrolling (Dragon's Curse, Dynastic Hero) and overhead (Ys, Neutopia) variety that I really can't even complain about it lacking 2D platformers or turn-based RPGs.

...Though, again, I was really sad when watching those videos to see just how very many turn-based-looking RPGs the system had that were probably never translated. :( I still at least want Dragon Slayer to hurry up and release here, though. :/

minor effort said:
I've been neglecting WiiWare in favor of VC since it launched.
Cave Story and Bit.Trip Beat are racing to be my first WiiWare game this side of Mega Man 9 (which had already been my first WiiWare game in three months once it showed up). Need both and the wait hurts. :(

Jiggy said:
Cave Story and Bit.Trip Beat are racing to be my first WiiWare game this side of Mega Man 9 (which had already been my first WiiWare game in three months once it showed up). Need both and the wait hurts. :(

Yeah, that's my story too. Mega Man 9 is the only WiiWare game I've bought so far, and while I've been spending yet more money since then on VC games, I've never really dove into WiiWare. I will be buying Cave Story the moment it's released, though.

But it's funny. All the WiiWare games I've bought or plan to buy are either sequels of preexisting franchises (Gradius, Mega Man) or enhanced ports of games (Cave Story). I feel I should pick up a truly original WiiWare game for once. Maybe I'll pick up Lost Winds finally.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
My friend bought the Last Ninja game, for C64 the other day... having never played a C64 before, I have to say I'm real disappointed. Worse graphics than the NES, music that makes me want to poke my ear out, and laughably bad gameplay (I can never tell where I should jump to get across the river, and combat seems to be just holding down the A button and pressing the dpad as fast as possible). I really hope this system has a bit more to offer.

Neo Samus

minor effort said:
Yeah, that's my story too. Mega Man 9 is the only WiiWare game I've bought so far, and while I've been spending yet more money since then on VC games, I've never really dove into WiiWare. I will be buying Cave Story the moment it's released, though.

But it's funny. All the WiiWare games I've bought or plan to buy are either sequels of preexisting franchises (Gradius, Mega Man) or enhanced ports of games (Cave Story). I feel I should pick up a truly original WiiWare game for once. Maybe I'll pick up Lost Winds finally.

World of Goo. If you like puzzles, it's one of the best games of last year.

Iam Canadian

I've bought four WiiWare games, with Mega Man 9 being the most recent. Of the WiiWare games I've bought, Mega Man 9 and Toki Tori were excellent, Defend Your Castle was an entertaining way to kill twenty minutes that I haven't picked up since, and I hated Lost Winds and its mind-numbing lack of difficulty.

That being said, I'll pick up Cave Story and Bit.Trip Beat day one.

Jiggy

Iam Canadian said:
I've bought four WiiWare games [...] Mega Man 9 and Toki Tori were excellent, Defend Your Castle [...] Lost Winds
I thought you also bought Gyrostarr and hated it, despite my warning to avoid its awful 18 FPS or however low it is. :(

A lot of the sound effects in Gradius Rebirth seemed to be pulled from the MSX Nemesis 2/Salamander/Parodius repository from the YouTube vids I saw.

I hope there's still a possibility of seeing the Famicom Gradius II make its way here.

Iam Canadian

Jiggy said:
I thought you also bought Gyrostarr and hated it, despite my warning to avoid its awful 18 FPS or however low it is. :(

Oh, yeah, I did buy that. Apparently, it was so horrible that I blocked it from my memory!

Not kosher of course but me and my friends have always just said it "Gray-dee-us."

bryehn said:
Gradius is super easy, even allows you to up your ship stock to 7. It runs in 480i and the text is seriously blurry. Not very impressed at all, but having a new SHMUP is always nice.

That's too bad. I'll probably still get Rebirth eventually since I love the series and the vids look decent but your impressions give me a reason to save my money this week and continue my WiiWare SD card strike. :/

Yes Boss!

Agent Unknown said:
That's too bad. I'll probably still get Rebirth eventually since I love the series and the vids look decent but your impressions give me a reason to save my money this week and continue my WiiWare SD card strike. :/

It is a good little game. Normal is easier than typical Gradius games but you have options to choose from Very Easy all the way to Very Difficult.

Nothing is blurry on my set...just very low-res. The online rankings are very nice...but not too many folks are on there yet.

I'd recommend it. Not too many shooters on Wiiware but this and Star Soilder R are nice to have in the background.

Jiggy

The good news: I found something in VC Ogre Battle proving that Square-Enix is in fact willing to go back and change the text of old games!

The bad news: It's only one word, lawl. :p And they probably only did it to protect themselves: they changed the Seraphim's Jihad attack to "Laser." Or at least Mizal's--I don't know if non-story Seraphim will be the same way.

kassatsu

Banned
Jiggy said:
The good news: I found something in VC Ogre Battle proving that Square-Enix is in fact willing to go back and change the text of old games!

The bad news: It's only one word, lawl. :p And they probably only did it to protect themselves: they changed the Seraphim's Jihad attack to "Laser." Or at least Mizal's--I don't know if non-story Seraphim will be the same way.
That goddam NOA legal team ruining mah games.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Guys, is there a nice place where can I grab some good lists for Master System/SNES/Genesis/TG16 and such which also treats Japan-only releases?

I'm sure there a tons of good games I'm unaware of even if I've been gaming for the last 30 years, and I need to revamp my wishlist a little.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom