• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Worldwide VC, WiiWare, & DSiWare Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Jiggy said:
The good news: I found something in VC Ogre Battle proving that Square-Enix is in fact willing to go back and change the text of old games!

The bad news: It's only one word, lawl. :p And they probably only did it to protect themselves: they changed the Seraphim's Jihad attack to "Laser." Or at least Mizal's--I don't know if non-story Seraphim will be the same way.

Hah, I was wondering if they'd change that. I figured they'd change it to "holy" or something though.

Jiggy

Square-Enix wasn't daring enough to leave in a cross animation for a healing spell in Star Ocean: Second Evolution, so I'm not particularly surprised about the change, but yeah, they could probably have found a better name for the move than a sci-fi name. Besides Holy as was mentioned, it could have been Ray, Smite, Purge, White, Light...

Or even just name that move Banish too, since Ogre Battle had no problem naming a move "Acid" for both Doll Mages and Tiamats even though they act differently.

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
Square-Enix made the same change in Final Fantasy VI Advance. For that version, all of the Esper names were reverted to their original Japanese names from Ted Woolsey's alterations (Stray to Cait Sith) but Jihad stayed as its American FFIII name, Crusader.

Nothing of interest for me this week so I just caved and bought Ys 1 & 2 to add to my VC backlog with, the recently purchased, Ogre Battle. I`ve been wanting to try a YS game--I think played Wanderers of Ys back on the SNES ages ago---but since fans are so down on the DS remakes that I would just buy the originals and give those a shot.

Edit: Holy shit, Ys must have been pretty damned epic when it first came out. I was shocked that there was a voice over in the intro, that the sound quality was so high, and that the voice acting itself was pretty damned good too. Nevermind all of the crazy detailed stills that or even the animated segments. What else was there like this in 1990?

Yes Boss!

jaundicejuice said:
Edit: Holy shit, Ys must have been pretty damned epic when it first came out. I was shocked that there was a voice over in the intro, that the sound quality was so high, and that the voice acting itself was pretty damned good too. Nevermind all of the crazy detailed stills that or even the animated segments. What else was there like this in 1990?

Yeah, Ys was pretty damn epic back then if you were lucky enough to have a TG-16 and CD add-on. There were a ton of neat things on the overlooked platform. Plus, PC-Engine was pretty big in Japan and there was never a shortage of games if you chose to import.

Tengai Makyo II was pretty mind-blowing as well. Had an excellent early score by Joe Hisaishi (Takeshi Kitano, Miyazaki movies):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tengai_Makyō_II:_Manjimaru

256px-Tengai_Makyo_II_Manjimaru.jpg

Jiggy

jaundicejuice said:
[Ys love] What else was there like this in 1990?
Well, not all 1990 per se, but...

Dragon Slayer gameplay and Dragon Slayer intro, with voice acting and animated scenes. It's a turn-based RPG by the same developers as Ys, which at least a couple of us like djtiesto and I keep waiting on for VC since it was OFLC-rated like a year and a half ago. :/ I've never played it, so I can't vouch for much, but I think I remember Aeana or somebody else I trusted saying it was pretty good back when a few people like me had been asking about it in the old VC thread after it first got rated and we found out about its existence.

The Dynastic Hero gameplay, and opening song. No particular voice acting for the rest, but still an excellent game.

Hellfire S. It's in Japanese and it's only in Japanese, but I'm just randomly linking because it's multiple minutes of intro for a horizontal shooter, which is a real anomaly. This is another one I never played, but oh wow is the music of the first stage great.

Various cutscenes from Valis 3, which is an action platformer with character-switching. I think it looks pretty cool. Valis 4 looks even better, but no translation for that game except for the butchered SNES version (which I did play). Speaking of no translation...

Intro and a couple minutes of gameplay for the sadly Japanese-only Popful Mail, another game by the makers of Ys. Or at least this version's Japanese-only; the Sega CD one was released in English, but from what I've read, the Popful Mail games on Sega CD, SNES, and TGCD are supposed to have some pretty decent differences between them and they're not merely the same game ported to multiple systems. Anyway, this one seems to be a sidescrolling action platformer and there are many things I would give to be able to play it.

Yes Boss! said:
It is a good little game. Normal is easier than typical Gradius games but you have options to choose from Very Easy all the way to Very Difficult.

Nothing is blurry on my set...just very low-res. The online rankings are very nice...but not too many folks are on there yet.

I'd recommend it. Not too many shooters on Wiiware but this and Star Soilder R are nice to have in the background.

edit: Made some edits to my impressions after playing the game more.

SD card strike or not, I had over 340 blocks open (I still refuse to get anything as big as a Strongbad ep, nor could I if I wanted since this leaves me with 169 blocks and I refuse to do any more shuffling) so I got it. Love the game so far, the opening cinemas have a nice amount of fan service for MSX Konami fans like me. Control is tight, it plays fine with both Wiimote and CC. Graphics look nice, I'd put them somewhere between Gradius III and Gaiden's graphics. The game DOES run in 480p unless my plasma is lying to me but I haven't noticed any blur in the visuals or the text. There's quite a bit of pixelation but no more than what you'd expect from a sprite based game running in progressive scan.

It's feels a bit easy for a Gradius game at first. But once you get past stage one (stage 2 is a sweet Life Force tribute level) you'll get thrashed if you lose your weapons. I'd say so far the challenge is on par with Gradius III, so it's forgiving but it's not for wimps either. And as Yes Boss! said, you can always up the difficulty if you want.

Also, my only real gripe so far is no weapon edit mode. Which means if you want proper force field, you're gonna have to take the ripple lazer. Otherwise type 1 and 3 only offer the skimpy star shield.

Online leaderboards are always a welcome feature, there are separate boards for each difficulty level.

Anyways, it's a fine game so far and definitely a value at $10, especially if you're a long time Gradius fan.

Jiggy

The best thing in that Takahasi Meijin interview is in the part that has nothing to do with Adventure Island:

WW: Has it surprised you how popular Hudson’s PC Engine / TurboGrafx games have been on the Virtual Console in North America and Europe?

TM: We knew that TurboGrafx had core fans. But Virtual Console generates more sales than we expected. We are very happy about it.
<3 Whatever gets us more support. I still want twenty-five TG16 games at absolute minimum, even ignoring various games that would need a level of translation at or above DoReMi Fantasy (since that's our one Hudson precedent).

Rlan

Honestly, I barely knew of the TG16's existence. Living in Australia we never even got the machine. I never saw anything about the machine's emulation either, so I never attempted it.

I received a TG16 for Christmas the year it came out in North America, I still have it and the few games I ended up getting for it. R-Type, Dragon's Curse, Galaga '99 and, of course, Keith Courage in the Alpha Zones. I even managed to acquire a PC Engine with the CD_add-on, a box full of games (including titles like Fighting Street and the original Gradius) and the NEC handheld that played full blown TG16 games.

That said I knew of the TG16 CD add-on, it was pictured on the system's packaging, you could pull off a part of the systems casing to see the port where it connected but I never actually saw one myself. No one I knew ever bought one, I never saw TG16 CD games for rental or purchase and I never saw one available for purchase.

I'm just glad that I can experience some of these games through VC. I've ended up liking Ys Books 1 & 2 a lot more than I would have imagined. The combat becomes weirdly compelling when you're facing tough enemies and how you make contact with them becomes so important. I hope we get more TG16 games on VC, specifically further installments in the Ys series.

jaundicejuice said:
I hope we get more TG16 games on VC, specifically further installments in the Ys series.

Good luck with that. All that remains is three flavors of Ys 3(for the Genesis, TG16-CD, and SNES)

None of the other console games (Mask of the Sun, Dawn of Ys, and The Lost City of Kefka or whatever the hell Ys V is called) ever saw localization.

Oh there was a Ys 1 for the Master System...woo.

Jiggy

And Ys III is a sidescrolling game, unlike its predecessors (and successor), though I can't say whether that's for better or worse since I haven't played it.

That's the one game in the series I've played a bit of, the SNES version I think it was. Never really got into the game but I would definitely like to give it another shot.

Yes Boss!

Jiggy said:
And Ys III is a sidescrolling game, unlike its predecessors (and successor), though I can't say whether that's for better or worse since I haven't played it.

It is for worse. Really bad frame rate and janky scrolling. It was a real disappointment back in the day. But, I'll pick it up on VC if it makes it.

Btw, there are a shit ton of Falcom games on the Japanese VC. Hudson seems to be in import mode recently so maybe we will eventually see some of them. Or at least the other Falcom games that are localized already.

We got Star Parodier, so pretty much anything can happen at this point.

Jiggy said:

It's about what you'd expect. There's one town and from there you access 6 or 7 different parts of the land to explore. Each one typically consists of one sub-boss and one major-boss(though there is an exception or two). Many of the mechanics from the previous Ys games carry over to Ys 3. Enemies respawn and in fact since you swing the sword constantly if you hold the button you could find a good spot where enemies just keep coming, tape the button down, take a short vacation, and when you get back all your exp/money troubles are over. Grinding is necessary since a number of enemies/bosses won't even be phased if your level & equipment aren't up to snuff. You can also equip a handful of rings for added strength, defense, and some other wacky things. Like the other games if you get damaged you don't bounce away and gain some brief window of invincibility. So chances are if you touch a boss or any other really tough enemy for a little over a second you'll die. Like the other games you can save practically anywhere except in the middle of bossfights.

Course if i was to rank this game among the rest of the series I'd put it near the bottom next to Ys V. Even taken on its own it's nowhere near the better sidescrolling action-RPGs. I hear the PC-only Oath in Felghana remake is fantastic but I wouldn't even know where to begin to get some awesome Ys action on my PC.

The soundtrack is excellent though. It's one of the best the series has ever produced.

Oh and avoid the SNES version. It's IMO the worst of the bunch. For some reason it feels much faster than the Genesis version and thus you're more likely to die extremely quickly. Aside from that the Genesis version seems to play better, like it's more sound and put together well(Best version from what I hear is the TG-CD version..which is to be expected I guess)

Jiggy

Yeah, I'll probably buy Ys III when it shows up; I'm not expecting it to be as good as the first two, but I don't think it could possibly be so much worse as to not be worth $8. Especially with the series' amazing music--that's probably a justification for the money already.

Jiggy said:
Yeah, I'll probably buy Ys III when it shows up; I'm not expecting it to be as good as the first two, but I don't think it could possibly be so much worse as to not be worth $8. Especially with the series' amazing music--that's probably a justification for the money already.

MegaDrive and SFC had horrible renditions of the soundtrack. I'm hoping for the PC-Engine release.

PCE

SFC

MegaDrive

The SFC and MegaDrive aren't the best (worst) tracks either. Let's just hope that either Falcom ports Felghana to consoles and gets released in english or we get the PCE version of the game.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Ys III is my least favorite game in the series, but it's one of the few games worth playing just for the soundtrack...

Hmmm... I think I'd pass on both the SNES or Genesis versions of Ys III, as I beat the SNES version way back when. However, if the TG-CD version were to be released, I would probably pick it up.

sfog

ESRB update:
Rock N' Roll Climber

"This is a rock climbing game in which players must climb up various formations within a time limit. Players navigate rocks and walls by grabbing onto divots and edges and positioning themselves to ensure they do not fall off."

Nintendo is listed as the publisher, and it's listed for the Wii.

Jazzem

sfog said:
ESRB update:
Rock N' Roll Climber

"This is a rock climbing game in which players must climb up various formations within a time limit. Players navigate rocks and walls by grabbing onto divots and edges and positioning themselves to ensure they do not fall off."

Nintendo is listed as the publisher, and it's listed for the Wii.

The new Ice Climber! :O

ksamedi

I never knew how great a company Hudson was. It became evident on Wiiware and VC for me. They have some great talent working there.

Meijin's comments on VC sales are heartening. Especially as someone who owned a TG-16 and a Duo in the 90s, it's great to see all these PCE properties finally get a high level of recognition beyond Japan. :)

Jiggy

http://www.wiiware-world.com/news/2009/03/bittripbeat_coming_to_wiiware_on_monday

Bit.Trip Beat for NA on Monday, apparently. Hopefully it's as awesome as it looks in videos--and if Detana!! Twinbee happens to show up on the same day, that would be glorious.

ksamedi said:
I never knew how great a company Hudson was. It became evident on Wiiware and VC for me. They have some great talent working there.
Not that Hudson is responsible for developing all of the TG16 VC releases, but for re-publishing them all I'm seriously grateful and want to do whatever I can to sell just how great they've been.

Agent Unknown said:
Meijin's comments on VC sales are heartening. Especially as someone who owned a TG-16 and a Duo in the 90s, it's great to see all these PCE properties finally get a high level of recognition beyond Japan. :)
I don't know about a high level of recognition, due to Nintendo's refusal to advertise VC :(, but I really am happy that a wealth of good games have at least been unburied and are finding some new audiences. Particularly happy they've found me, of course!

Capndrake

Next week Japan gets Uncharted Waters II and Sonic Chaos on VC, leaving only Takeshi no Chousenjou for this month.

WiiWare page isn't updated yet.

Volcynika

Dragona Akehi said:
You guys really need to import Felghana for PC. There's an English patch floating around too.

http://gcforums.ript.net/images/zomgys.png[img]

[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LiwrTA6EzM]ZOMGYS[/url][/QUOTE]

I did! I got stuck at a boss a while back though...

But <3 Ys.

sk3tch

Real LTTP...but I only fired up my Wii again recently (getting it prepped for MadWorld - it's showing up today!) - but I bought Tetris Party and man...love it. I am pretty picky about my Tetris versions and this one is damn close to perfect. I haven't tested out the 2 player local mode, yet...but if it has that then it will be all I ever need Tetris-wise (although, I say that now and I am sure I will buy Tetris in another form at least 20x more in my life!).

sfog

ESRB update:

ColorZ Exkee Everyone Comic Mischief Wii

This is a puzzle/action game in which players guide a small ship around colored orbs and absorb matching-colored orbs for points. If the ship passes through an orb that does not match the players' color, the tiny alien pilot is briefly electrocuted.

Somnid

Japan is getting Hudson's DSiWare Sudoku game next Wednesday. There's a 50 puzzle version for 200 points or a 150 puzzle version for 500 points. I can only assume they don't share puzzles.

I kind of want that Adventure Island WiiWare game. Could be my first WiiWare title so far as I've been lazy with other ones that I'm interested in. But watching that video really makes me glad I grew up in the NES/SNES days. 2d platformers look so much better than the 3d style platformers that we've seen some of.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom