• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Xbox Live Arcade Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
GavinGT said:
Hopefully they're making updates/upgrades to prepare for Bringin' it Home. I'd love them to go all out this year.

I'll take surprise demos of Alan Wake, Mass Effect 2, and a co-op online demo of Dead Rising 2 please. :)

Jonnyram

So, apparently ALL the new Sega Vintage games (Sonic 3, Altered Beast, Gunstar Heroes, Comix Zone, Phantasy Star II, Shinobi) are coming out on 10 June at 400 points each. A bumper week for XBLA. I wonder what will come out during E3 then...

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
Jonnyram said:
So, apparently ALL the new Sega Vintage games (Sonic 3, Altered Beast, Gunstar Heroes, Comix Zone, Phantasy Star II, Shinobi) are coming out on 10 June at 400 points each. A bumper week for XBLA. I wonder what will come out during E3 then...

2wm0576.jpg

Gowans

400points nice! Sonic 3 and Gunstar Heroes are mine for defos might pick up some more.

McBacon tell me you made that yourself.

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
Gowans007 said:
400points nice! Sonic 3 and Gunstar Heroes are mine for defos might pick up some more.

McBacon tell me you made that yourself.

I did, sorry :(

I don't know why I want the game on XBLA because I have like 100 copies of it, but ah well.

Gowans

McBacon said:
I did, sorry :(

I don't know why I want the game on XBLA because I have like 100 copies of it, but ah well.

Phew I though it might have had a xbox.com page leak

Yeah I could find it really easily to play now to but going to wait to join in with the discussion and see how it's handled.

UraMallas

Jonnyram said:
Where did you hear this? Awesome, if true.

Madballs in BABO: Invasion announced

Balls, Guns and Avatars. Quite possibly the greatest gameplay combination ever set to release on Xbox LIVE® Arcade in Summer of 2009!

OTTAWA, CANADA – May 28th 2009 – Playbrains, an independent game development studio specializing in the digital download arena, are proud to announce that their debut console title, Madballs in…Babo:Invasion, will be releasing on Xbox LIVE® Arcade in Summer of 2009.

A gameplay rich, feature laden ‘casually hardcore’ action shooter, Madballs in…Babo:Invasion (MiBI) is that rarest of gaming commodities; a genuinely unique title. Featuring the recently re-released Madballs™ characters, Oculus Orbus™ and Horn Head™, from the popular 1980’s toys best remembered for their outrageously bad looks and graphically colourful names. MiBI is an arena based 3D shooter where players are able to design their own combat maps almost instantaneously by placing a combination of map tiles to create a never-before-seen map before gameplay starts. Truly, no two games are ever the same. And with up to 16 player Multiplayer support, MiBI will boast the highest number of players over Xbox LIVE Arcade upon its release.

Offering players a satisfying and immersive experience in both single-player and multiplayer, Madballs in…Babo:Invasion has a plethora of features and game modes such as 4 player online co-op along with, never-before-seen in an Xbox LIVE Arcade title, being able to incorporate your Xbox LIVE Avatar into multiplayer combat via the ‘Avatar Attack’ mode. Yes, Xbox LIVE Arcade combat just got personal.

Much more on this groundbreaking game will be revealed in greater depth leading up to its release in the Summer of 2009, including additional information on the following features;

* Single Player – Hours of repeatable gameplay through 10 epic levels
* 2-4 Player Online Co-op – challenge individual campaign levels with your friends or play the whole campaign in ‘Enduro’ mode
* 16 Player Multiplayer – 21 maps to match all game sizes
* ‘Invasion’ Mode – the signature mode of the game, players take turns placing map tiles to create a unique multiplayer map prior to each match
* ‘Avatar Attack’ – Multiplayer combat with your Xbox LIVE Avatar
* Classes – 10 character classes (each with 2 special abilities) over two warring factions, with each faction having 5 unique weapons each with two distinct firing modes
* Madballs Characters – Oculus Orbus™ and Horn Head™ from the infamous 80’s toy craze as in-game characters
* 5 Archetypes – Assault, Heavy, Runner, Flyer, Support
* Deployables – active (rocket turrets) or passive (healing towers) can be placed in Invasion mode
* Unlocks and Secrets – 50 unlocks and 50 Secrets to find during campaign gameplay
* Action – emphasis on fast-paced, visceral action that is easy to pick and play, yet offers a real strategic challenge for hardcore gamers

35c37h3.jpg

261nryg.jpg

4vst2c.jpg

20kd8xy.jpg

Petrae

Princess Skittles said:
Yosumin is good. :)

I had my doubts initially after seeing the screens and not really understanding the gameplay basics... but after a trial, I was hooked. It's a surprisingly accessible game for players of all skill levels, too.

Jonnyram said:

This would be welcome news, but I'll believe it when I see it. IMO 400 points is the perfect price for older classics like Altered Beast, Sonic and Shinobi. I'm having a hard time believing that they'll release the hard-core favorite GH at five bucks, though. I think it'll be the one release at 800, with an eye toward dropping it to 400 in six months to a year.

MS needs to be working on giving consumers more 400 point games, especially classics. One or two or even five won't make a difference, but working on getting a consistent flow at a low price, like the VC, WILL make an impact.

sciplore

Keyser Soze said:

Awesome looking game info

Okay this look great but one thing is glaring to me, I see them firing off guns but yet their is avatar support? Was there a recent change to what can be included for avatar support or do they mean your avatar picture is floating on top? Kinda wish they included a screen shot with the avatars too...

sciplore

Trailer did a wonderful job of giving me an idea of gameplay, I can see myself and cousin blasting through this on live looks to be no local multi though (unless I missed it) and it has yet to give me an idea on how avatar support is going to be used but I'm gonna guess its just the avatar pic.

Crazy that they are using an old 80s toy for a game idea if they plan to revive more I want a "Creepy Crawlers" game in which you build the things like the original toy but make them fight other creepy crawlers ala pokemon. :D

Liberty4all

Banned
I have direct confirmation now this game is being made by the same guys that did Babo Violent 2 on the PC.

I suggest downloading it immediately if you've never tried the game before, it's like Crack and it's free.

Liberty4all

Banned
Guys guys .... the madballs thing is cool and everything but in all honesty it's just a ruse they are using to get a teen rating. GO PLAY BABO VIOLENT 2 (IT'S FREE) YOU'LL UNDERSTAND!

There is a reason that "Violent" is a part of the original game's title. From what I've heard they are only replacing the blood with Madballs goop ....

Babo Violent 2 sucked out hundreds of hours of my gaming life a few years back. The game was made by an indy studio, released free to the public and still to this day has a hardcore following that are slathering for the release of this title. I couldn't believe it when I realized that this XBLA title is the sequel to that game.

Seriously go download Babo Violent 2 and you will see the light!!!!!!

Mar

Keyser Soze said:

I am agasp.

I never thought I'd see these things again. I used to collect them. Even got the whole set still in original un-opened packaging around 2001. I've since sold them all on ebay though.

The new ones looks awesome:

slobulus.gif

skullface.gif

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Wolfenstein 3D(R) Coming to Xbox Live(R) Arcade and PLAYSTATION(R)Network

Wolfenstein 3D(R) Coming to Xbox Live(R) Arcade and PLAYSTATION(R)Network

Classic title players to earn instant upgrades for use in id software's upcoming, Wolfenstein, due August 4th

SANTA MONICA, Calif., May 29 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- Activision Publishing (NASDAQ: ATVI) and id Software announced today the legendary first-person action title, the original Wolfenstein 3D(R) will be available for download on June 3 on Xbox LIVE(R) Arcade for the Xbox 360(R) video game and entertainment system from Microsoft and June 4 on PLAYSTATION(R)Network for PLAYSTATION(R)3 (PS3(TM)). The famed title that created an entire video game genre, Wolfenstein 3D offers players a chance to experience the intensity of escaping from Castle Wolfenstein all over again. Classic enemies like Hans Grosse and Mecha-Hitler await players in the six episodes that span 60 levels. Wolfenstein 3D is rated M by the ESRB for Animated Blood and Gore and Animated Violence.

Gamers taking the challenge to defeat the twisted Nazi regime also will earn accolades and be awarded gold for customizable weapon upgrades in id Software's all new, Wolfenstein(TM). The newest addition to the famed blockbuster franchise, Wolfenstein is scheduled to be on store shelves on August 4 on Xbox 360, PS3 and PC and is rated M by the ESRB for Blood and Gore, Intense Violence and Language.

About id Software

id - defined by Freud as the primal section of the human psyche; id Software, located in Mesquite, Texas, was founded in 1991. From inception to present day, id Software has relentlessly provided technical, design and artistic leadership as an independent game developer and technology provider. Transcending the games industry, id's iconic brands such as Wolfenstein, DOOM, QUAKE and Enemy Territory have become staples of popular culture for generations of gamers. More information on id Software can be found at www.idsoftware.com.

About Activision Publishing, Inc.

Headquartered in Santa Monica, California, Activision Publishing, Inc. is a leading worldwide developer, publisher and distributor of interactive entertainment and leisure products.

Activision Publishing maintains operations in the U.S., Canada, the United Kingdom, France, Germany, Ireland, Italy, Sweden, Spain, the Netherlands and Australia. More information about Activision and its products can be found on the company's website, www.activision.com.

Cautionary Note Regarding Forward-looking Statements: Information in this press release that involves Activision Publishing's expectations, plans, intentions or strategies regarding the future are forward-looking statements that are not facts and involve a number of risks and uncertainties. Activision Publishing generally uses words such as "outlook," "will," "could," "would," "might," "remains," "to be," "plans," "believes," "may," "expects," "intends," "anticipates," "estimate," future," "plan," "positioned," "potential," "project," "remain," "scheduled," "set to," "subject to," "upcoming" and similar expressions to help identify forward-looking statements. Factors that could cause Activision Publishing's actual future results to differ materially from those expressed in the forward-looking statements set forth in this release include, but are not limited to, sales levels of Activision Publishing's titles, shifts in consumer spending trends, the impact of the current macroeconomic environment, the seasonal and cyclical nature of the interactive game market, Activision Publishing's ability to predict consumer preferences among competing hardware platforms (including next-generation hardware), declines in software pricing, product returns and price protection, product delays, retail acceptance of Activision Publishing's products, adoption rate and availability of new hardware and related software, industry competition, rapid changes in technology and industry standards, protection of proprietary rights, litigation against Activision Publishing, maintenance of relationships with key personnel, customers, vendors and third-party developers, domestic and international economic, financial and political conditions and policies, foreign exchange rates, integration of recent acquisitions and the identification of suitable future acquisition opportunities, Activision Blizzard's success in integrating the operations of Activision Publishing and Vivendi Games in a timely manner, or at all, and the combined company's ability to realize the anticipated benefits and synergies of the transaction to the extent, or in the timeframe, anticipated, and the other factors identified in Activision Blizzard's most recent annual report on Form 10-K and any subsequent quarterly reports on Form 10-Q. The forward-looking statements in this release are based upon information available to Activision Publishing and Activision Blizzard as of the date of this release, and neither Activision Publishing nor Activision Blizzard assumes any obligation to update any such forward-looking statements. Forward-looking statements believed to be true when made may ultimately prove to be incorrect. These statements are not guarantees of the future performance of Activision Publishing or Activision Blizzard and are subject to risks, uncertainties and other factors, some of which are beyond its control and may cause actual results to differ materially from current expectations.

(C) 2009 Id Software, Inc. All rights reserved. Wolfenstein is a trademark and ID is a registered trademark of Id Software, Inc. in the United States and some other countries. Activision is registered trademarks of Activision Publishing, Inc. All rights reserved. Xbox, Xbox 360, Xbox Live, Windows and Games for Windows are either registered trademarks or trademarks of Microsoft Corporation. All other trademarks and trade names are the properties of their respective owners.

Company News On-Call: http://www.prnewswire.com/comp/007396.html

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Pre-E3 2009: Battlefield 1943's Bonus Map
http://xboxlive.ign.com/articles/987/987994p1.html

May 29, 2009 - Battlefield 1943 will include three multiplayer maps when it is released later this year. Today developer DICE announced a fourth map will be unlocked, but it will take the cooperation of the entire Xbox Live community. When players achieve a collective 43 million kills, the Coral Sea map will be made available to all.

Gameplay in Coral Sea will focus on air battles. This is an airplanes-only map, so look forward to World War II dog fights.

You'll be able to track Xbox Live's kill count at the official site for Battlefield 1943.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Pre-E3 2009: 1 vs. 100 US Beta Incoming
http://xboxlive.ign.com/articles/988/988034p1.html

May 29, 2009 - The Xbox Live version of game show 1 vs. 100 is already in beta in Canada. Gamers in the U.S. can get in on the fun as the beta is extended south. The first live event will take place at 7:30pm Pacific time, June 1. Participants will be able to win prizes even though the game is still in beta. Possible awards include an HDTV, laptops, Zunes, or Xbox Live Arcade games.

Once the beta is up and running, both live events with host Chris Cashman and shorter, "Extended Play" events with no host will be available.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
New Achievement Lists Get:

Droplitz

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/game/droplitz/achievements/

[Printable Version ]
There are 12 achievements with a total of 200 points.

Zen Master 50 35
Create a multiplier of 50 or more

Combo 35 15
Create a multiplier of 35 or more

Adventurer 25
Survive for 2 hours

Tourist 15
Survive for 20 minutes

Full House 10
Use all Droppers and Collectors

Score 1,000,000 25
Score 1,000,000 points

Score 250,000 10
Score 250,000 points

Chain Reaction 10
Stack 3 Chain Reactions

Completionist 25
Unlock all boards in all modes

Rainbowtastic 15
Unlock all themes

Easy Street 5
Create 40 paths

Off-The-Wall 10
Collect 5 Droplitz with no path

Worms 2: Armageddon

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/news-1224-Game-Added--Worms-2--Armageddon.html

[Printable Version ]
There are 12 achievements with a total of 200 points.

Going Solo 20
Complete the Single Player Campaign

Likes the Drink 15
Kill 170 enemy worms by knocking them into the water

Ranked Master 30
Achieve 17 wins in each of the following Ranked Match types: Standard, Pro, Crazy Crates and Fort

Armageddon an Award 5
Deploy the Armageddon weapon 10 times

Get Your Lob On 20
Win a game using just the Grenade

Fast, Pink & Hard 30
Win a Pro Ranked Match in under 3 minutes

Six Pest 10
Kill 6 enemy worms in a single turn

Cheeky Flocker 10
Deploy 25 Sheep in any Ranked Match

Prod for Victory 10
Win a game by using the Prod