• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Xbox Live Arcade Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

watership

HadesGigas said:
Seattle, WA, March 2010 – Michel Gagne and Fuelcell Games are pleased to bring their independent video game, Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet, to Xbox Live® Arcade.

Michel Gagne and Joe Olson, CEO of Fuelcell Games, met in 2007 in Seattle’s Fremont district where they discussed the possibility of bringing feature quality 2d animation to the gaming world in a classic side-scrolling adventure. Shortly after, a production team was assembled and Fuelcell Games was born. Their mission: bring the vision of Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet to life.

“This is one of the most thrilling projects of my career”, said Gagne. “I love working on ITSP with Joe and his team. It amazes me to see how they’re able to expand on my concepts and animations and create such a memorable interactive experience. Simply put, this game is going to rock!”

The Fuelcell team has been busy building a studio infrastructure and quietly working with Gagne on ITSP while exploring partnerships to develop the game. After months of negotiation with several entities, it was decided that Microsoft and Xbox LIVE Arcade was the best possible home for the project.

“The team here at Fuelcell is incredibly excited to be starting production in full force on Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet”, said Olson. “We’ve assembled an extremely talented, dedicated, and passionate group of people around this unique project. The combined forces of our team of game industry veterans, Michel’s unique artistic style and vision, and Microsoft’s expertise in the downloadable game space is sure to make for a lasting impression on 2D gaming.”

“Microsoft is thrilled to have Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet heading to Xbox LIVE Arcade”, said Saxs Persson, Senior Director of Xbox LIVE Arcade. “We look forward to helping Michel and Fuelcell realize their creative vision, and continuing to support independent developers looking to drive innovation on our service.”

For more information on Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet visit www.insanelytwistedshadowplanet.com or the official blog at
http://michelgagne.blogspot.com.

Awesome. This needs it's own thread.

see5harp

Seriously....so many great games coming out. I really thought PS3 had the year wrapped up early with Heavy Rain and GOW3 but damn this is a strong year for the 360 as a whole. Shank, that Snoopy thing, Limbo, the halfbrick game, new Behemoth...I really just don't know how they do it.

Kafel

Banned
HadesGigas said:
Seattle, WA, March 2010 – Michel Gagne and Fuelcell Games are pleased to bring their independent video game, Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet, to Xbox Live® Arcade.

Glad they had a deal.

mujun

see5harp said:
Seriously....so many great games coming out. I really thought PS3 had the year wrapped up early with Heavy Rain and GOW3 but damn this is a strong year for the 360 as a whole. Shank, that Snoopy thing, Limbo, the halfbrick game, new Behemoth...I really just don't know how they do it.

Did you miss Mass Effect 2? It rolls HR and GOW3 up and smokes them.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Snoopy really does give that Crimson Skies feel again, and I'm glad to see it playable by the public since it's been so long since I've last heard anything about the game...

And...

Shig said:
YESSSSSSS finally some news. A release date/window would have been nice, but still, any news is progress.

Let us celebrate with the glorious trailer of absolute amazingness.

Holy wow this game looks amazing.

I mean, really - style, animation, diversity - this really just came out of the blue for me, and it seriously does deserve its own thread - I gotta go for a few hours, but if one isn't up by the end of the day, hell, I'll post it myself.

Incredible.

XBLA is insane.

mujun said:

And besides that gem of a game, there has been and will be at least one huge title per month, the ton of XBLA games mentioned here, E3 hasn't happened yet, and that little game at the end of the year called Reach, which has a beta in May.

Yeah.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I can't say I really agree with the boundless optimism in the thread right now about upcoming games. I feel like XBLA is in one of those funks where games come out that are good, but just not the kind of games I'm into.

Since January, I've bought Lazy Raiders, Winterbottom, and Perfect Dark (although it seems I'm the only person who bought Lazy Raiders, and Winterbottom died out pretty quickly on GAF).

Matt Hazard seemed ok but overpriced, Vandal Hearts seemed ok but overpriced, Darwinia was ok but overpriced, Chime wasn't my thing, Greed Corp had UI issues that prevented me from getting into it, Fret Nice was terrible, both Toy Soldiers and Scrap Metal didn't click with me and the 1200 point prices for both was really disappointing. Game Room--well, I've commented at length on it; I don't think it's a good start.

A lot of what's upcoming seems to fit into this category as well. I didn't play enough of Mega Man 9 to justify Mega Man 10. I have Zeno Clash on PC. I didn't like Hydro Thunder to begin with or Afterburner. The Final Fight/Magic Sword collection is weird, unnecessary IMO, and neither game is all that awesome as far as I'm concerned anyway.

Lead and Gold and Monday Night Combat both seem okay to me, but in both cases I expect the multiplayer will dry up pretty quickly so I can't imagine getting them. Something about Shank feels off. Ditto Breach. Raskulls seems well made but I see it suffering from the exact same problems Rocket Riot did (repetitive single player, no multiplayer community). Toki looks just disgusting to me. Behemoth 3 looks as uninteresting as Behemoth 1/2 for me. To say nothing of stuff like Rocket Knight and Bonk that pretty much everyone agrees are going to be terrible.

Joe Danger ended up being poached to PSN, as did Explodemon.

In terms of what I am tentatively interested in:
- Monkey Island 2
- Doom II
- The Incredible Machine, if it ever gets out of limbo
- 3d Ultra Minigolf Adventures 2, if it ever gets out of limbo
- World of Keflings
- Ancients of Ooga
- Comic Jumper
- Cletus Clay
- Fez
- Limbo
- Snoopy Flying Ace
- Super Meat Boy
- Spelunky
- Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet
- Plants vs Zombies, since I know I'll be suckered into rebuying it.
- Space Ark, maybe
- Joy Ride.

I guess that kind of list should give me a lot of room for optimism, but since most of those games aren't even tentatively slated for a release date at this point, and the near future seems pretty dim to me... meh.

Like I said, it's not that good games aren't being released, it's that I happen not to be interested in any of the good games that are releasing :/

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
You may want to consider the option that you are simply a notorious and well-documented debbie downer.

Never liked Hydro Thunder or After Burner? What are you, a communist?

This explosion of announcements is pretty great and most of the titles seem interesting in one way or another. The shining beacon of hope in the sea of nefarious plots to snatch your money that is digital distribution. Platforms like XBLA make me happy. :)

I was already planning on getting broke due to the 2010 retail lineup though. :(

Hell, if the only games coming out on XBLA for the rest of the year were Raystorm HD, King of Fighters 2002 Unlimited Match, NeoGeo Battle Colosseum, Clash of Heroes HD, Shank, Mega Man 10, Metal Slug XX, Guwange, Hydro Thunder, and After Burner Climax, I'd be very satisfied. Everything else is just gravy.

XBLA was very uninteresting to me once the Summer of Arcade ended last year. I don't think I bought a game that released after Shadow Complex until Perfect Dark came out.

mujun

Stumpokapow said:
I can't say I really agree with the boundless optimism in the thread right now about upcoming games. I feel like XBLA is in one of those funks where games come out that are good, but just not the kind of games I'm into.

Since January, I've bought Lazy Raiders, Winterbottom, and Perfect Dark (although it seems I'm the only person who bought Lazy Raiders, and Winterbottom died out pretty quickly on GAF).

Matt Hazard seemed ok but overpriced, Vandal Hearts seemed ok but overpriced, Darwinia was ok but overpriced, Chime wasn't my thing, Greed Corp had UI issues that prevented me from getting into it, Fret Nice was terrible, both Toy Soldiers and Scrap Metal didn't click with me and the 1200 point prices for both was really disappointing. Game Room--well, I've commented at length on it; I don't think it's a good start.

A lot of what's upcoming seems to fit into this category as well. I didn't play enough of Mega Man 9 to justify Mega Man 10. I have Zeno Clash on PC. I didn't like Hydro Thunder to begin with or Afterburner. The Final Fight/Magic Sword collection is weird, unnecessary IMO, and neither game is all that awesome as far as I'm concerned anyway.

Lead and Gold and Monday Night Combat both seem okay to me, but in both cases I expect the multiplayer will dry up pretty quickly so I can't imagine getting them. Something about Shank feels off. Ditto Breach. Raskulls seems well made but I see it suffering from the exact same problems Rocket Riot did (repetitive single player, no multiplayer community). Toki looks just disgusting to me. Behemoth 3 looks as uninteresting as Behemoth 1/2 for me. To say nothing of stuff like Rocket Knight and Bonk that pretty much everyone agrees are going to be terrible.

Joe Danger ended up being poached to PSN, as did Explodemon.

In terms of what I am tentatively interested in:
- Monkey Island 2
- Doom II
- The Incredible Machine, if it ever gets out of limbo
- 3d Ultra Minigolf Adventures 2, if it ever gets out of limbo
- World of Keflings
- Ancients of Ooga
- Comic Jumper
- Cletus Clay
- Fez
- Limbo
- Snoopy Flying Ace
- Super Meat Boy
- Spelunky
- Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet
- Plants vs Zombies, since I know I'll be suckered into rebuying it.
- Space Ark, maybe
- Joy Ride.

Not interested in:

-Mega Man 10
-Zeno Clash
-Hydro Thunder
-Afterburner
-Final Fight/Magic Sword
-Lead and Gold
-Monday Night Combat
-Shank
-Breach
-Raskulls
-Toki
-Battleblock Theatre
-Dishwasher 2
-Bonk
-Rocket Knight

I guess that kind of list should give me a lot of room for optimism, but since most of those games aren't even tentatively slated for a release date at this point, and the near future seems pretty dim to me... meh.

Like I said, it's not that good games aren't being released, it's that I happen not to be interested in any of the good games that are releasing :/

Nice of you to make that list in your thread :) Added the ones you don't want to a list as well to keep track of what's coming out.

Sad_Panda

Hold on a minute, wasn't Zeno Clash also supposed to be released tomorrow, along with Mega Man 10 ? Even Atlus' website lists it as a March release...

Shig said:
You may want to consider the option that you are simply a notorious and well-documented debbie downer.

Never liked Hydro Thunder or After Burner? What are you, a communist?

He isn't interested in Guwange either.
Why do I bother reading his posts?

Stumpokapow said:
if you stop reading my posts you might find your gaf gold account mysteriously cancelled. just saying.

This is the part where I pretend to know what you're talking about.

Sad_Panda said:
Hold on a minute, wasn't Zeno Clash also supposed to be released tomorrow, along with Mega Man 10 ? Even Atlus' website lists it as a March release...

I'm wondering that too. I haven't read anything to the contrary, but it's weird that it's omitted from all recent lists I've seen. Looking forward to at least playing the demo and I hope it's not delayed.

see5harp

mujun said:

Nah, I actually beat everything mentioned in your post. I think I enjoyed it the most, but there is something to said about two games hyped for so long that actually come out and prove to be worth the development time.

Hey Namco/Bandai I figure you're the guys I should bitch at for Denjin Makai II/The Guardians to see an XBLA release. You're responsible for Banpresto's shit and last I saw Banpresto published a few arcade games. At least get this one.

Wouldn't you want to show all these up and coming beatemup devs(lolz) how it was done back in 95? At least Capcom has an excuse as 80% of their best stuff is wrapped up in licensing issues.

Seriously Denjin Makai 2 is an amazing beatemup.

-Eight selectable characters
-The ability to slide, dodge flip, block, backstep, and probably some other stuff.
-Gobs of moves for each character. Everything from air-throws to desperation attacks to super desperation attacks to super attacks to even special attacks.
-Play stylishly for bonus points
-Grapples because they're awesome.
-Even some of the weapons have special moves.
-A great beatemup engine with lots of foes to slap around, great combo opportunities, and just enough variety in each encounter to keep everything fresh.
-Wackiness.
-Large breasts and a nearly-naked man.
-Shooting minigames cause hey why not?
-Not ball-busting hard. Takes less than half an hour to beat(with continues of course). So easy even random dudes on youtube are 1CCing it.

This was back in 1995. To think the genre has not advanced that much or even at all since the release of this game. Hopefully the guys behind Twinkiesoft, Dinkysoft, or whateverthehellsoft got great jobs and made some games I've probably heard of.

Adam J.

It's going to be tough for Microsoft to narrow down their Summer Of Arcade lineup this year. Maybe they will have so many juicy titles that they can run it for two months.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Achievements: Rocket Knight

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/game/rocket-knight/achievements/

There are 12 achievements with a total of 200 points.

Elhorn Tourist 30
Completed all stages

Zephyrus Saviour 35
Completed Arcade Mode on Normal

Devotindos Defiler 25
Completed Arcade Mode on Hard in a Single Playthrough

Legendary Possum 20
Completed Gold Sparkster Mode

Impatient Hero 20
Completed all stages below par time

Spark Dog Millionaire 15
Completed Arcade Mode scoring 1,000,000 or more

Redoubtable Runner 15
Completed Arcade Mode on Hard within 60 minutes

Ferocious Flier 10
Completed 1.2 having defeated all enemies

Wolf Connoisseur 10
Completed 2.1 having collected all pickups

Nimble Knight 10
Completed 3.2 without taking damage

Burst Friends 5
Defeat 5 enemies in a single Rocket Burst or Drill attack

Woodland Bouncer 5
Defeat 3 enemies with a single reflected projectile

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Dark Octave said:
Looks really good, though the Snoopy theme kind of detracts from it, imo.

I was the exact opposite. I was like man Snoopy + Crimson Skies= Dope!

aaaasnoopy.gif

jibblypop

Banned
Wow. That Snoopy game looks incredible. I was addicted to Crimson Skies on xbox for 2 years straight. It was the only game I played on that console I swear! :lol
This looks to carry the torch well!

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
REMEMBER CITADEL said:
Exactly. I'm just a little bit sad that the platforming segments seem to be gone.

To be fair this was the first footage I've seen of this game, but I can understand if you'd seen earlier footage and it seemed like they cut stuff.

It could have just been the demo was best setup with the flying action though.

Brettison said:
I was the exact opposite. I was like man Snoopy + Crimson Skies= Dope!

aaaasnoopy.gif
Some more from my hands on at PAX. Game supports bots. I was playing split screen with a friend plus a few bots. As you get kill streaks you get rewards, get X and Lucy (I think it was Lucy) shows up on the back of your plane with six shooters, get Y and your plane turns into the flying dog house.

Brettison said:
To be fair this was the first footage I've seen of this game, but I can understand if you'd seen earlier footage and it seemed like they cut stuff.

It could have just been the demo was best setup with the flying action though.

Maybe. Or maybe the platforming just didn't gel with the flying gameplay so they removed it. Either way, it seemed fun.

REMEMBER CITADEL said:
Maybe. Or maybe the platforming just didn't gel with the flying gameplay so they removed it. Either way, it seemed fun.

What is up with that trailer?

The voice should be more like "Wha wa wah wa wah wahn whah"
Yeah I know if they did that it would give away the other joke but whatevs.

Hearing Snoopy's trademark cackle of glee makes this day one. Maybe I should grab the PS2 rev while I wait.

Big sale for the first week of April apparently:

- Age of Booty 400 points (usually 800)
- Defence Grid, 400 points (usually 800)
- Lumines LIVE, 400 points (usually 800)
- Mad Tracks, 400 points (usually 800)
- Rocket Riot, 400 points (usually 800)
- Schizoid, 400 points (usually 800)
- South Park Let's Go Tower Defense Play!, 400 points (usually 800)
- Super Street Fighter II HD, 560 points (usually 1200)
- Track & Field, 240 points (usually 400)
- Wallace & Gromit Episode 1, 400 points (usually 800)

Source

Ponn

Banned
Defense Grid for 400points is mighty tempting. I have such a backlog of XBLA games though that have been unfinished its really hard for me to spend points on more games.

Zeouterlimits said:
Big sale for the first week of April apparently:

- Age of Booty 400 points (usually 800)
- Defence Grid, 400 points (usually 800)
- Lumines LIVE, 400 points (usually 800)
- Mad Tracks, 400 points (usually 800)
- Rocket Riot, 400 points (usually 800)
- Schizoid, 400 points (usually 800)
- South Park Let's Go Tower Defense Play!, 400 points (usually 800)
- Super Street Fighter II HD, 560 points (usually 1200)
- Track & Field, 240 points (usually 400)

Source

Quoting for the new page.

Some great deals here, I'll probably wind up buying a few of these games.

U2NUMB

I must admit I own them all already but for one

Which I think might get me to bite .. I am not a big fan of these games but I want to learn to like them.

Nelo Ice

Banned
probably going to get south park especially since i need to make use of my professor chaos and challenge level codes somehow :lol

of course i'll have to find ppl to play with since based on what i've read its frustrating in single player but perfect for co op

Will buy South Park. Would buy Defense Grid except I already bought it for $2 on Steam.

I wasn't really impressed by the Age of Booty demo. Am I missing something?

Kafel

Banned
besiktas1 said:
Already got southpark (great game btw) so it's just rocket riot for me.

OT: Is there anyway to get Games on Demand with MS points?

Yes, there's an option to change the way you pay your game. Try to buy one then look at the screen, it's Y or X to change the currency I think.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
If you like Worms, 8-bit pixel graphics, and particularly if you liked the old PC game "Liero", I'd really recommend Rocket Riot. It's also fiendishly hard. I don't know of anyone on GAF who finished it other than A Master Ninja (last level took him 350 tries) and me (last level took me 100 tries).

One thing to note, though; there are literally 0 multiplayer matches. I tried for hours at a time on half a dozen occasions and didn't get a single match. Maybe the sale will bump the community for a while, but do not buy it if you're counting on a vibrant online community.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3178593

The first two Geometry Wars games are considered Xbox Live Arcade fixtures. With that in mind though, it appears that there won't be a Geometry Wars 3, at least not anytime soon.

Speaking with Kotaku, Bizarre Creations' Gareth Wilson said, "Right now we don't have any plans for Geometry Wars 3 or anything."

Wilson did offer a bit of hope for fans of the dual-stick shooter though.

"That doesn't mean that at some point (Geometry Wars designer) Stephen (Cakebread) won't have a genius moment and will start working on it, but right now Stephen is working on all sorts of other projects," he said.

The Liverpool-based studio was acquired by Activision in 2007, and is currently working on Blur. Geometry Wars 2 was released back in 2008, and is the studio's most recent game.

Blur is currently slated for May 25 on the PC, Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3. After that, we should hopefully get a glimpse at all of Cakebread's other projects.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom