• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Xbox Live Arcade Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
http://www.gamepro.com/article/news/214203/mini-interview-perfect-dark-xbla-producer/

Mini-Interview: Perfect Dark XBLA producer

The internet worked itself up a little bit last week over news about Perfect Dark for Xbox Live Arcade including classic Nintendo 64 GoldenEye content. Rather than rush to the presses with the info, we tracked down XBLA Producer Nick Ferguson for a mini-interview about what else GoldenEye is doing for Perfect Dark.

GamePro: How many GoldenEye nods are in Perfect Dark XBLA (weapons, levels, characters)?

Nick Ferguson: Perfect Dark on XBLA contains all the weapons, levels and characters related to GoldenEye that were in the original Perfect Dark. Specifically, a selection of re-branded weapons and the Felicity, Complex and Temple levels.

GP: Are these nods the same as the ones that existed in the original Perfect Dark?

NF: Yes, with some exciting additions. In Perfect Dark on XBLA you can use GoldenEye weapons in multiplayer for the first time (on Nintendo 64 the classic weapons were restricted to solo play). We also have a couple of Achievements called "Golden Days" and "Camera Shy" which are a nod of recognition to the game's heritage. There is a "Classic" setting in the Matchmaking playlists which enables players to play on rotations using only classic levels with the classic weapon sets (Pistols, Automatics, Power Weapons, Remote Mines, etc).

We think this will be very popular with fans of GoldenEye! We know there are a lot of GoldenEye fans who never played Perfect Dark, and we definitely want to encourage them to try the game out for themselves.

GP: In your own words, can you tell us why it's important to keep Perfect Dark alive as a franchise?

NF: Bringing the original Perfect Dark to XBLA gives us an opportunity to remind core fans just how good the first game was, whilst also introducing the franchise to a whole new generation of players who never got the opportunity to play the original.

If you want to see more of Joanna Dark on Xbox 360, the single best thing you can do is pick up Perfect Dark for Xbox LIVE Arcade. If you like it... tell your friends. We're watching this one closely!

strikeselect

You like me, you really really like me!
awesome interview Shard.

I'm pretty sure that's the first time matchmaking has been confirmed for PD XBLA.

yes!!!! :D

Gazunta

Is it OK with you guys if I start a Game Room thread in mid March? That way I can keep the OP updated as new games come out and put FAQs in there without people asking the same questions over and over again.
No, the copy of someone else's port of an old arcade game you bought on XBL two years ago won't magically appear in Game Room

cjelly said:
...then we'd just be getting a ton of emulated retro games. No, thanks.

The prices may have risen, but the quality bar is so much higher now it's not even funny.

I have to agree. And if you really look at it, we are still getting a lot of great games at 800 points. There's far fewer 400 pointers, but there are some, with Chime being the latest example. I've said it probably a dozen times now in this thread: I don't mind 1200 point games, so long as we still have a decent selection of 800 and 400 point games, too. Give us a choice of games across the price spectrum. With the Indie Games at $1 and $3 and getting better all the time - it's a pretty decent spectrum.

Gowans

Gazunta said:
Is it OK with you guys if I start a Game Room thread in mid March? That way I can keep the OP updated as new games come out and put FAQs in there without people asking the same questions over and over again.
No, the copy of someone else's port of an old arcade game you bought on XBL two years ago won't magically appear in Game Room

I recon for Game Room you can probably start it at the start of the block party promotion, it's not a typical games release more of a platform with a bunch of misunderstanding around it.

Can't wait to read your op, no one better to do it and hope it answers a bunch.

Gazunta said:
Go for it. Be sure to make special mention of Jungler being a day one game; I want to see record sales!
Giant Bomb was making fun of it

HadesGigas said:
Comic Jumper preview/media at IGN

Cover_001copy_1267145655.jpg
Holy shit this game looks great.

Twisted Pixel = XBLA gods

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
http://www.siliconera.com/2010/02/28/guwange-shooting-up-xbox-live-arcade/

Guwange Shooting Up Xbox Live Arcade

Guwange, a Cave shooter where you blast demons in feudal Japan, is also coming to Xbox 360 later this year. Makoto Asada broke the news at Shooting Festa 2010.

The Xbox Live Arcade version of Guwange has the original arcade version, Guwange blue from Cave festivals, and an arrange mode for Xbox 360. Cave didn’t say anything about an international release, but this is an Xbox Live Arcade game and so far aren’t any XBLA games exclusive to Japan.

Seeing Cave on Xbox Live Arcade is big news in itself. The door’s now open for ports of older arcade games, perhaps titles that already have PlayStation 2 ports like EspGaluda, Ibara, and Mushihime-sama.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
http://www.destructoid.com/yup-sonic-adventure-coming-to-xbox-live-arcade-165211.phtml

Sonic Adventure Indeed Coming to the Xbox Live Arcade

As if the leaked screenshots hadn't already confirmed it, it does indeed appear that the still-unannounced Xbox LIVE Arcade port of Sega's Sonic Adventure is headed our way.

Destructoid reader Damon sent along word that the XBLA version of the title was recently reviewed in the latest issue of the UK magazine, 360 Gamer. According to the review, the game is a "no frills" port of the main game featured in Sonic Adventure DX, the enhanced GameCube update of the original title.

The reviewer was mostly unimpressed by the port of the game that originally appeared on the Dreamcast back in 1998, saying it "really hasn't aged well."

"It's not all bad," writes reviewer Mark Podd, who gave the game a 5 out of 10, "but if your idea of a decent Sonic game is watching the Blue Spiky One charging across a 2D landscape, you'd be best advised to give this one a miss."

The review's details list a "to be confirmed" price and release for the XBLA title, which has yet to be announced by Sega at the time the magazine hit newsstands.

[Thanks, Damon!]

GUWANGE?!

HOLY FUCK

Can't believe I missed this news.

They're even throwing in another version and an arrange mode. Suddenly it's like my pony grew wings and a horn.

gafster1

Neo Member
Gazunta said:

Yes, yes. Please do.

Game Room is going to be a container for many titles (I see GR as a parallel to XBLA and XBLI as opposed to a XBLA title itself).

Would love to see it have it's own feature, it sounds like it's going to have it's own evolution, so it will be nice to see it's ongoing development (as opposed to just new ROMS being released, they seem to have plans for the Game Room app itself.)

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Blacklight: Tango Down Revealed

http://pc.ign.com/articles/107/1072975p1.html

March 1, 2010 - The low-priced digital download had modest beginnings. Casual games and classics ported to new systems were the norm, but this has changed in recent months. Games like Shadow Complex and Battlefield 1943 proved there is a huge market for projects of a larger scope. The trend towards bigger and more complex games is not about to change if Blacklight: Tango Down is any indication of what to expect. This fully-featured multiplayer shooter is on the way to the Xbox Live Arcade, PlayStation Network and PC this summer and it is targeting a price of just 15 American Dollars.

The way Blacklight was described to me roughly fits the same set of features you would expect out of a videogame you'd find at your local game shop. There will be 10 maps, ranging from small to big open arenas. Each can be played on four or five different modes with teams of up to eight on a side. At its heart is the Unreal Engine 3 pumping out hi-res and slick looking visuals, even at this early pre-alpha phase.

Catch the first trailer here.
I got a look at this early build of Blacklight in action and it certainly does visually impress. The arena combat takes place in a dystopian future version of Eastern Europe. The visual style of the map I got to see fit this time and location -- it looks a bit like an old European town had some futuristic glowing signs and buildings slapped on top of it. It's almost as if the future came too quickly to this part of the world and the city planners couldn't keep up. At war are two factions, the Blacklight and the Order, a convenient excuse for some team-based combat.

Most of the action I saw looked like pretty standard first-person shooter fare, though Blacklight does have a couple of features that make it unique. The biggest is that each player is equipped with an HRV visor. When activated, the player can see through walls to see foes and objectives to gain some intel. The catch is that while using the HRV, the player can't shoot. That means to use it effectively, you'll have to work as a team. Countering the HRV is a digi-grenade, which can shut down an opponent's vision entirely.

Perhaps the most intriguing part of Blacklight is that, despite the fact that it is a low-priced digital download, it will still have a complete leveling system similar to what you can find in Call of Duty. Playing well will level you up through 70 ranks, unlocking modifications for your weapons and armor. This will allow you to customize your look and load out, shaping everything from the barrel and grip to the scope and accessories on eight different weapon classes.

The download will be a hefty one at roughly 1 GB, which shouldn't come as any surprise given its look and scope. IGN will have an update just as soon as we get our hands on Blacklight to see if the mechanics can match the look. Keep an eye out for Blacklight this summer on Xbox Live Arcade, PlayStation Network and PC, coming courtesy of development studio Zombie and publisher Ignition.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Zeno Clash Impressions
http://xboxlive.ign.com/articles/107/1072821p1.html

February 26, 2010 - If you missed out on Ace Team's Zeno Clash when it was released for PCs in 2009, you should really pay attention to the Xbox Live Arcade version, which is currently scheduled to be released sometime this spring. At its core, it's a first-person brawler that progresses in a stage-based fashion. On PC it controlled well and gave you a satisfying sense of weight and impact as you slammed your fists into foes. I didn't get to actually play it on Xbox 360, but during a demo the action seemed smooth and the visuals pretty, making me hopeful this will be a solid version.

The story setup, like the visual style of the game, is outlandish. You play as Ghat, the supposed offspring of some kind of bird creature called Father-Mother. Something goes wrong, and you have to flee while punching a bunch of oddly dressed humanoid creatures called Corwids in the face.

Each stage is framed with story, including cut-scenes of Ghat and his female compatriot Deadra, who in this version has had her voice work redone, that move the tale forward and introduce a number of strange characters. As an example, you meet a bubble-headed oddity named Oxameter that walks around on wooden slats with a thin pipe extending from what I can only assume to be his mouth and who only walks in a straight line. You can imagine the tragedy that ensues when he walks into a tree.

Get ready, things are about to get strange.
Once the story bits are over each stage moves along to a fighting segment, which is preceded by a versus screen any fighting game fan should find familiar. All combat takes place entirely from a first-person perspective, and once you're running around with your fists up you'll have quite a few options for attack. First you'll need to lock onto your opponents, who bob and weave and roll out of the way to avoid your attacks. Hitting Y focuses your view on a single target, and you can switch between them pretty easily thereafter since you'll often be facing off against more than one enemy at a time.

Health bars for you and your enemies appear at the top of the screen, and initially you'll want to soften up enemies with a few quick jabs. They might try to block, at which point you can slam through their defenses with a power swing, sending them reeling. You might even be able to stun them, at which point you can grab on and knee them a few times before brutally slamming them to the ground or tossing them at another foe. Don't forget to kick them while they're down.

Larger enemies will show up as well, and during these encounters you'll get a melee weapon to help out since your fist attacks will be pretty much useless. You'll need to swat at the bigger creatures a few times to stun them, then wind up for a swing that knocks a big chunk off their health bar. These encounters usually require you to be quick on your feet, since you'll get charged and swatted around if you stand still for too long.

Though the game focuses on first-person brawling, you will get weapons.
Weapons tend to be specific to certain sections of Zeno Clash, so it's not like a standard first person shooter where you'll collect a diverse range of offensive tools. You'll always have your fists, and from time to time you'll get fish-like pistols or ornate rifles meant to be used once and then discarded as you move on to the next stage. In addition to making sure your shots and punches hit where they're supposed to, making use of your dodge and block moves can also help keep you alive.

The game's got 19 stages to punch through and a number of cooperative challenges that I'm told can be played in split-screen or online. It'll cost 1200 Microsoft Points when it's eventually released, and should be a good time for anyone interested in a quirky style of first-person gameplay or just looking to explore a vividly detailed psychedelic fantasy land.

theRizzle

DownLikeBCPowder said:
Anyone buy this Winterbottom game? Seems kind of fun to me. Worth the 10 bucks?

Like I posted in the (apparently dead) Winterbottom thread, I really like the game but I've found it fairly easy so far. Easy as in I'm spending around 2 or 3 minutes on each stage, if that. There's only been one where I was stumped for a little longer, but I still managed to work it out fairly quickly.

Despite that, I would definitely suggest it. It has a great aesthetic and it's fun and it only costs 800 points.

xbhaskarx

theRizzle said:
Like I posted in the (apparently dead) Winterbottom thread, I really like the game but I've found it fairly easy so far. Easy as in I'm spending around 2 or 3 minutes on each stage, if that. There's only been one where I was stumped for a little longer, but I still managed to work it out fairly quickly.

How far into the game are you? The first few levels are essentially a tutorial, and then there are some easy levels, but the final few areas have plenty of tough levels. In fact, many of the Winterbottom reviews claim the game is too difficult.

theRizzle

xbhaskarx said:
How far into the game are you? The first few levels are essentially a tutorial, and then there are some easy levels, but the final few areas have plenty of tough levels. In fact, many of the Winterbottom reviews claim the game is too difficult.

I just finished up the third "world" or section. I'm sure it gets more difficult in 4 and 5, but I breezed through the first three in less than an hour. I can definitely see how it could get extremely complex in the coming levels - and I really hope it does - but so far I have had no trouble at all.

In the Winterbottom thread, there were a few people saying how they were having trouble with "Citizen Clone" and that one did trip me up a little, but I still spent significantly less than 10 minutes on it. I didn't even realize that was the level that so many people were having trouble with until after I had beat it and went back to check the names of all of them.

I am not particularly great at puzzle games either, so I'll probably end up back in this thread tomorrow complaining about how I've been stuck at 4.1 for 10 hours. :lol

Hmm. That actually sells me on Winterbottom. I like a challenge but games where the final stages are near impossible kind of piss me off. I spent a ton of time on N+ only to discover that I will likely never beat the final few episodes no matter how much time I sink into it. I like when a game is tough but completable.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
IGF-Nominated Limbo Headed to XBLA

http://xboxlive.ign.com/articles/107/1073457p1.html

March 2, 2010 - Today developer Playdead revealed to IGN that its first game, Limbo, is headed for Xbox Live Arcade. No, it's not a Natal version of the Limbo dance. Rather, this is a moody puzzle platformer with a striking black and white art style. Limbo is nominated for both Art and Technical Excellence at this year's Independent Games Festival Awards.

Players control a young boy on a quest to find his lost sister. The word "limbo" comes from the Latin word "limbus," which refers to the edge of hell. This is where the game takes place. Freaky!

Limbo is nominated for Excellence in Art at this year's Independent Game Festival Awards.
You'll be able to drift off to Limbo this summer. Game Developers Conference attendees will get to take it for a spin next week.

limbo-screenshots-20100302012239818.jpg

limbo-screenshots-20100302012241664.jpg

limbo-screenshots-20100302012243448.jpg

Limbo looks gorgeous. I remember seeing it somewhere before, I think on Co-Op, but I thought that was a while back. Can't wait to try it out.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
RadarScope1 said:
Hmm. That actually sells me on Winterbottom. I like a challenge but games where the final stages are near impossible kind of piss me off. I spent a ton of time on N+ only to discover that I will likely never beat the final few episodes no matter how much time I sink into it. I like when a game is tough but completable.
N+ is definitely completable. But it will cost you a piece of your humanity.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Limbo looks cool and all, but... MAN, will I be happy when we get past tiny well animated characters in "2D" HD games. Winterbottom, Braid, Limbo... after generations of being impressed with large sprites that were animated better and better, it just continues to feel backwards to me.

Really starting to make me miss life bars and stuff, too! It's cool that things look like old concept art, but that does remove just a bit of the "Game" feeling away from it all. But I suppose that's the point...

Oh, and btw, anyone notice the Afterburn Climax Announce Trailer on the XBLA? It didn't appear in the new videos section, but if you search under All Arcade games, it appears in pretty much all list. GREAT to see the game on actual TV, such a gorgeous game.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
SAB CA said:
Limbo looks cool and all, but... MAN, will I be happy when we get past tiny well animated characters in "2D" HD games. Winterbottom, Braid, Limbo... after generations of being impressed with large sprites that were animated better and better, it just continues to feel backwards to me.

Really starting to make me miss life bars and stuff, too! It's cool that things look like old concept art, but that does remove just a bit of the "Game" feeling away from it all. But I suppose that's the point...

Oh, and btw, anyone notice the Afterburn Climax Announce Trailer on the XBLA? It didn't appear in the new videos section, but if you search under All Arcade games, it appears in pretty much all list. GREAT to see the game on actual TV, such a gorgeous game.
You might want to look up Shank.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
SapientWolf said:
You might want to look up Shank.

Aye, Shank is easily one game that breaks the look (another being Castle Crashers). It's nice to see a big, expressive player character (or four)!

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Achievements: Final Fight Double Impact

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/game/final-fight-double-impact/achievements/

There are 12 achievements with a total of 200 points.

Coin Gobbler 20
Final Fight™: Complete all levels using less than 18 continues.

Cody-pendant 15
Final Fight™: Complete all levels with Cody.

Haggar-ed 15
Final Fight™: Complete all levels with Haggar.

Who's that Guy? 15
Final Fight™: Complete all levels with Guy.

Locksmith 25
Unlock everything in the Vault.

Final Fighters 10
Final Fight™: Complete all levels in co-op.

Tough Guy 30
Magic Sword: Complete all levels using less than 18 continues.

Sore Thumb 10
Magic Sword: Complete all levels.

Anti Hero 10
Magic Sword: Decide to take the Black Orb.

Smashing! 10
Magic Sword: Decide to destroy the Black Orb.

Ninja Skills 30
Magic Sword: Complete any level without being hit, and without using a Magic Attack.

Save the World 10
Magic Sword: Fight and kill Drokmar.

Shank coming to XBLA, PSN and PC. www.shankgame.com

Shank:
Klei signs with EA Partners for Shank

Since we debuted the game at PAX, we’ve been asked over and over what platform the game is going to be on. We’ve been coy about it, mostly because it was never finalized and I didn’t want to make promises we couldn’t keep. But now, finally, I can come out and say: Klei is working with EA Partners and bringing Shank to Xbox LIVE Arcade, PlayStation Network and PC!

As they’ve shown with Brutal Legend, these guys really support the creative vision of the studios they work with, and I can honestly say that I’m having a blast working with Jamil, Mike, and the rest of the gang at EAP.

Here are a couple new screens that are going out with the news:
shank_sunset_screen-03042010.jpg

shank_butcher_screen-03042010.jpg

I’ll find a link to the official press release shortly.

Also, friendly reminder that you can follow us on Twitter — www.twitter.com/klei.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
EA, Hothead Games to Team on DeathSpank

EA PARTNERS AND HOTHEAD GAMES TEAM UP TO DELIVER DEATHSPANK IN 2010

EA to Publish the Latest Game from Industry Icon Ron Gilbert

Redwood Shores, CA – March 4, 2010 – EA Partners, a division of Electronic Arts Inc. (NASDAQ: ERTS) and leading independent developer Hothead GamesTM announced today an exclusive publishing agreement that will bring DeathSpankTM to Xbox LIVE® Arcade and PlayStation®Network in 2010. Developed under the vision of The Secret of Monkey Island creator and industry icon Ron Gilbert, DeathSpank blends a story filled with Gilbert’s unique humor and wit with classic and addictive action RPG gameplay.

“The team at Hothead Games is a perfect fit for EA Partners. They are a great example of how the EA Partners program continues to emphasize the importance of building strong relationships with the world’s top indie developers,” said Jamil Moledina, Outreach Director, Business Development at EA Partners. “DeathSpank is an engrossingly fun and hysterically funny experience, and we are all excited to have the opportunity to help introduce DeathSpank to gamers across the world.”

Ian Wilkinson, CEO of Hothead Games added, “We are proud of our independence, but are very excited to be working with EA Partners on a title as big as DeathSpank. With EA Partners handling distribution and marketing, Hothead can continue to focus on what we do best, making great games.”

The game casts players in the role DeathSpank, the Hero to the Downtrodden, a Vanquisher of Evil and Defender of Justice as he fulfills his life-long destiny and searches for a mysterious and magical item only known as "The Artifact". Along the way he'll rescue a few Orphans, defeat a local tyrant and tumble headlong into the even deeper mystery surrounding the legendary Thongs of Virtue in an epic adventure game that includes collecting loot, crazy puzzle solving, witty dialogue, collecting loot, over-the-top animations, fun, accessible action combat, and of course, collecting loot. For more information on DeathSpank , please visit www.deathspank.com.

1267701108.jpg

1267701107.jpg

HungryHorace

Neo Member
Don't know if it's been mentioned in this thread before but Supersonic software (makers of micro machines, circuit breakers & mashed) are hopeful of bringing they're new title: Gas-Fuel for fun, to XBLA. PSN is already confirmed.

Title seems to be pretty much 'mashed' by a different name. Which is no bad thing. Here's hoping MS greenlight it.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Gas-Fuel-For-Fun/308199261049

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1SGDCVDf49w&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYT2WYNhGeo
Look in the 2nd page of comments of the power ups trailer for mention of XBLA

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Boulder Dash sequel for Xbox Live Arcade announced for release in Q3 2010

Today “First Star Software, Inc.” and “Catnip Games” officially announced their upcoming production of a “Boulder Dash” sequel for Xbox Live Arcade for release in Q3 2010. In cooperation with “First Star Software”, the owner of the Intellectual Property; and, with the assist of “simple plan production”, “Catnip Games” will deliver both charming and challenging entertainment to the XBLA worldwide community. The team is using the latest technology to present the unique gameplay and all of the characteristic elements associated with “Boulder Dash” in a modern and incomparable style.

This tricky, action-puzzle and dexterity game made its debut in the early 80s and has continued to fascinate its enormous fan base and new players for decades. Today the game is recognized as one of the best loved retro games in the history of computer and video gaming. Now Boulder Dash is back with a hot new look to take the Xbox Live Arcade platform by storm. The multimillion units selling hit game’s core remains unchanged: in a race against time players must collect sparkling diamonds while besting hordes of enemies; and, avoiding numerous traps, and of course, falling boulders!

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
HungryHorace said:
Don't know if it's been mentioned in this thread before but Supersonic software (makers of micro machines, circuit breakers & mashed) are hopeful of bringing they're new title: Gas-Fuel for fun, to XBLA. PSN is already confirmed.

Title seems to be pretty much 'mashed' by a different name. Which is no bad thing. Here's hoping MS greenlight it.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Gas-Fuel-For-Fun/308199261049

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1SGDCVDf49w&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYT2WYNhGeo
Look in the 2nd page of comments of the power ups trailer for mention of XBLA
Mashed is basically a Micro Machines sequel. This is fantastic news.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Achievements: Sonic the Hedgehog 4: Episode 1

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/game/sonic-the-hedgehog-4-episode-1/achievements/

There are 12 achievements with a total of 200 points.

The Story Begins 5
Clear SPLASH HILL ZONE, ACT 1.

Crush Dr. Eggman 5
Defeat a boss for the first time.

The First Chaos Emerald 5
Acquire a Chaos Emerald.

Enemy Hunter 10
Defeat 1,000 enemies.

Golden Flash 10
Clear all Acts as Super Sonic.

All Stages Cleared! 10
Defeat the final boss and view the ending.

Contender 10
Upload your recorded scores and clear times for all stages.

Ring Collector 15
Collect all the Rings in 'Special Stage 1' and Clear the stage.

Immortal 25
Build up 99 or more extra lives.

Super Sonic Genesis 30
Acquire all seven Chaos Emeralds.

Speed's My Game 35
Clear SPLASH HILL ZONE ACT 1 in less than a minute.

Untouchable 40
Clear the E.G.G. STATION ZONE without taking any damage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom