• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

''Oh, Yay, Another Mario Game.'' Step up to Playstation 2/20

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonno394

Maybe you can help me. How many titles are listed below?

Mario Tennis Open
NSMB2
NSMBU
Paper Mario Sticker
Mario Party 9
Mario Olympics
Mario 3D Land
Mario Kart 7

1 tennis game
2 2d platformer
1 3d platformer
1 pseudo rpg
1 arcade racer
1 virtual board game
1 sports title

Coincidentally they all feature Mario

Boss Man

I feel like its 1994!
Exactly, this shit is just fun to witness. I think the only way I'd get my panties all bunched up is if Apple jumped into the industry and started doing it, because Apple's marketing cannot be seen as anything but menacing to me.

Pirabear

Banned
Uzkj9eS.png
6LV8Hda.png

KaiserBecks

And it was a shit game compared to games like Sonic Transformed, and Uncharted.

Hopefully Mario Kart U takes some form of inspiration.

Why didn't you mention Little Big Planet Karting? Oh, right...sorry. But it was crap compared to Uncharted, because Uncharted....wasn't...a fun racing game...I guess? If that's how it starts I'm only staying for the glorious GIFs, because I'm not sure I can take another generation of butthurt.

Sponge

Banned
"Oh, Yay, Another Killzone Game."

"Oh, Yay, Another God of War Game."

"Oh, Yay, Another Uncharted Game."

Works both ways, unfortunately. I want new IP's from everyone, please.

I dunno, as opposed to like the dozen or so Mario games shown during the newest Nintendo Direct?

Not really sure what your point is. The difference is Sony invests in both breath and depth. We haven't seen a creativity beyond their comfort zone from Nintendo's titles in over two generations now.

The point is that the NSMB series has as many or less entries than God of War, Killzone, and Uncharted? Merely was correcting the individual who implied otherwise.

And yes, games like Skyward Sword, Epic Yarn, the Prime trilogy, and Pikmin are definitely not out of Nintendo's comfort zone. If you changed the main character of each of these games, would that please you and indicate that Nintendo is "out of their comfort zone"? Because drastically changing control schemes, art styles, and even gameplay from 2d-3d - and even a new IP - is just the same-old-same-old from Nintendo!

Raist

Banned
Wow. The pre-rendered glory! I've got to be honest, I love companies getting personal like this, especially when it's Sony. Nintendo rarely rise to the bait, which is a shame. It's not like they're short on source material.

I vaguely remember that N64 ad trashing other consoles because they're only 32bits or something. Can't find it :(

To get attention, sure. But I don't think arrogance or mocking your competitors is good for your image.

It's marketing. The sole job of marketing is to promote your product while differentiating yourself from your competitor's product and or highlighting your competitors' perceived faults or weaknesses. It's not about making sure you don't hurt the other guy's feelings. It's why four out of five dentists agree that toothpaste A is better than toothpaste B because who wants to take advice from that other dentist. I'm pretty sure he didn't even graduate from dental school.

ASIS

That's not the same thing because PS All Stars isn't just Uncharted characters. Also, the fact that all those have Mario in the title tells you all you need to know.

Preeetty sure many people thought SSB series was a part of the Mario series for quite sometime. His point is that they are all different games, no matter who is in the title.

In this thread, people who have only heard of Nintendo games and never played games on a Playstation.

I love Playstation and Nintendo and most of their flagship titles, but no I can't think of any Sony IP's that are better than Mario/Zelda/Metroid/etc. I can't think of one PS3 exclusive with better gameplay or game design than Mario Galaxy 2.

DjRoomba

Banned
Classy Sony, real classy. Apparently their new marketing guy is a 12 year old.
Is this even real wheres the source of this op

Some third person shooters, a racing game, and a first person shooter are better platformers than Mario Galaxy?

Well crash team racing was so much better a karting game than mario kart.
Like mario kart is a strip of bacon and CTR was the finest cut of lamb filet ever served on a plate.

Also hot shots tennis is equally much superior to mario tennis.

It's a shame ND is too busy shitting out third person covershooters these days to make something amazing like CTR again :(

Takuya

Banned
I love this thread, only because despite its contents, it's also directly advertising 2/20 for Sony indirectly.

Mileena

Banned
I love Playstation and Nintendo and most of their flagship titles, but no I can't think of any Sony IP's that are better than Mario/Zelda/Metroid/etc. I can't think of one PS3 exclusive with better gameplay or game design than Mario Galaxy 2.

Demons Souls?

UberTag

Haha, this is fantastic. I hope Microsoft gets in on this when they're set to make their announcement.
I doubt it. They feel their above this kind of nonsense.
They might pay off a bunch of media outlets to do it for them, though.
3AQmK.gif

prwxv3

Does anyone even remember what Sony was doing during the PS3 launch? Top management dudes were telling customers to get second jobs and other hysterical things. This silly google ad from their marketing team is harmless.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom