• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

''Oh, Yay, Another Mario Game.'' Step up to Playstation 2/20

Status
Not open for further replies.

ironcreed

Banned
i5x2pErV7chbW.gif

Spinluck

Can understand Sony's apprehension of another Mario game.

Mario Kart Wii sold more than Uncharted 1,2,3 and GOW 1,2,3 combined.

And it was a shit game compared to games like Sonic Transformed, and Uncharted.

Hopefully Mario Kart U takes some form of inspiration.

Sheroking

There are more games in the New Super Mario Bros franchise alone than main entries in all of the franchises you mentioned... That doesn't include all the other Mario games that also are mostly the same year in year out, or the remakes. I can't wait for the inevitable Super Mario 64U.

Sony gives plenty of great new IPs - The Last of Us and Beyond: Two Souls for two upcoming examples.

I like the way Sony has pushed new software, but I don't think is strictly accurate or fair. Nintendo has a one-per-console rule when it comes to stuff like NSMB, Mario Kart and Super Smash Brothers. As far as sub-series' go, they don't milk the way they could.

Meanwhile Sony has released 4 Uncharted games in 5 years and I don't think anyone will be surprised if we see the fifth on Wednesday. God of War is about to release it's seventh game in eight years, all in the same format and with the same gameplay.

People talk about NSMB, but Nintendo hasn't milked that near as much as Sony has milked God of War.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Not really sure what your point is. The difference is Sony invests in both breath and depth. We haven't seen a creativity beyond their comfort zone from Nintendo's titles in over two generations now.

Pushmo/Crashmo? Rhythm Heaven?

Boss Man

Ads are actually supposed to get you interested in the product the ad is selling, not causing playground fights on internet messageboards.
The message with this new marketing team has been that Playstation is where you go for real games, whether they're right or not I like that it's their message. The intention of the ads is to get attention. It's pretty successful all around IMO, and pretty fun.

The only people it's really offending are people who would have never bought the console anyway. I think everyone else sees this pretty lightheartedly. I would love for this to be the direction they all take. It's just entertaining as hell.

Ads are actually supposed to get you interested in the product the ad is selling, not causing playground fights on internet messageboards.

Are you kidding? That's exactly what they're trying to do. And it's semi-brilliant. Their goal is definitely not to just piss Nintendo fanboys off, their goal is to talk big and make the PS4 look fantastic in comparison to everything else. Of course Sony doesn't have an IP as powerful as Mario. They know that. They can mock the repeated use of the IP though, and how Nintendo (definitely does) rely on the Mario IP.

Please don't let it annoy you though guys. You should know it's Sony's MO by now, and the way they do announcements and statements.

yurinka

"Oh, Yay, Another Killzone Game."

"Oh, Yay, Another God of War Game."

"Oh, Yay, Another Uncharted Game."

Works both ways, unfortunately. I want new IP's from everyone, please.
Each one of these IPs should release like more than 100 games to reach Mario levels. They aren't that milked.
Sony has a history of releasing more IPs than the others each gen, specially if we count only the ones focused to core gamers.

Definitely a jab at the WiiU, where even a main 2D Mario can't save the console.

NSMBU was good, but regardless, it wasn't by any means one of those "holy shit" Mario titles, and we had just gotten a NSMB game on 3DS like two months prior. It wasn't exactly some new mindblowing next-gen Mario game that people were expecting as the launch title and for Nintendo to reveal at last year's E3.

hwy_61

Banned
I must say, I wish all marketing in video gaming got at each other this way. It takes me back to arcade days, where I would talk shit to my friends about their skill, and vice versa. I for one welcome this brand of marketing!!

Your move, Nintendo.

Rubius

Maybe you can help me. How many titles are listed below?

Mario Tennis Open
NSMB2
NSMBU
Paper Mario Sticker
Mario Party 9
Mario Olympics
Mario 3D Land
Mario Kart 7

Mario Kart, Mario Tennis, Paper Mario and Super Mario Bros are different genre. Same mascot, totally different gameplay. Its like counting Playstation All star as a Uncharted game because of Nathan.

Ricky 7

Things are getting pretty serious in the console wars. We now have Panic Mode Nintendo and Arrogant Sony. Does Microsoft have a second form?

Piggus

People being offended by this/taking it seriously is funnier than the actual ad lol. Relax! Breath! A little smack talk isn't going to hurt Nintendo, Microsoft or you.

All i'm trying to say is that people acting like Sony's exclusive software is leagues better than what Nintendo puts out are delusional. They both have games that are at the top of their respective genres. Like Gran Turismo for racing and Galaxy for 3d platforming.

uh, Sony has been embarassing everyone else in terms of first and second party software for a good long while.

More higher software in more genres isn't really a debate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom