• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

''Oh, Yay, Another Mario Game.'' Step up to Playstation 2/20

Status
Not open for further replies.
A thread to make us remember why they call it the console war and not the console pillow fight.

Vicious passive-aggressiveness is reaching critical levels in here.

PBF020-Skub.gif

KillGore

Nintendo's software shits on Sony's from a great height.

lol, no

"Oh, Yay, Another Killzone Game."

"Oh, Yay, Another God of War Game."

"Oh, Yay, Another Uncharted Game."

Works both ways, unfortunately. I want new IP's from everyone, please.

I don't know, I think Sony has done pretty well introducing new IPs this gen, especially this late in the console cycle. With Uncharted, Infamous, Last of Us, Beyond Two Souls, etc.

I guess it would be bad if you didn't like shooters though.

Sendou

I actually like that Sony is bringing quite a lot of new titles/IPs to the market. I wish Nintendo was still doing that. People are absolutely neglecting Sony's PSN efforts.

Who is? Probably not this forum who voted Journey as the GOTY. Sound Shapes was pretty nice too btw. Hope they keep that going through next-gen.

waypoetic

Banned
Yeah, there's only version of Killzone that they released 3 times!

don't kill me, it's all fun and games

Killzone (PS2) - 2004 (You play as : Jan Templar)
Killzone : Liberation (PSP) - 2006 (You play as : Jan Templar)
Killzone 2 (PS3) - 2009 (You play as : Thomas 'Sev' Sevchenko)
Killzone 3 (PS3) - 2011 (You play as : Thomas 'Sev' Sevchenko)
Killzone : Mercanary (PSV) - 2013 (You play as : Arran Danner)

Sony knows what their fans crave and gives it to them.
In other words, they've probably got new IPs AND bullshit.

I think the event is PS4 only

I don't get this post. Or what's in the brackets.

PhantomR

Banned
To get attention, sure. But I don't think arrogance or mocking your competitors is good for your image.

LOL, you think Sony cares about that? Smack talking is their game. It's what they're known for. This isn't going to change or damage their image one bit.

The PSN debacle? THAT damaged their image. Not this.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Hopefully this year will bring out some great new games on the next gen platforms and we are in full swing as the PS3 and 360 are needing to be retired.

There are more games in the New Super Mario Bros franchise alone than main entries in all of the franchises you mentioned... That doesn't include all the other Mario games that also are mostly the same year in year out, or the remakes. I can't wait for the inevitable Super Mario 64U.

Sony gives plenty of great new IPs - The Last of Us and Beyond: Two Souls for two upcoming examples.

NSMB, NSMBWii, NSMB2, NSMBU. I guess the new Luigi DLC if you want to count that? Compared to:

Uncharted 1, 2, 3, Golden Abyss
God of War 1, 2, 3, (soon) Ascension, Chains of Olympus, Ghosts of Sparta
Killzone 1, 2, 3, Liberation, (soon) Mercenary

Mad_Ban

Oh man. GAF is returning to the 07/08 days :) And it's only going to get better!

As for the ad itself, it's not really how I'd go about hyping up the PS4 reveal. But it's certainly generating talk, which is what I think they wanted.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
I think this is pretty funny and harmless.

This year is going to be something else.

Yeah, it was a joke. You don't need to make a fucking list, I don't care. I'm aware of all the Killzone games and I'm sure they're all mightily different or blah blah blah I'm not an FPS guy so I wouldn't give a damn either way.

LastNac

I want new IPs as well,but come on man, how many sports titles has Nathan Drake had compared to Mario?

I love Nintendo, but Sony launch new IP for the core every year. I think they can get away with having a lot of sequels more so than Nintendo.

None of those IPs have had 8 games release in the span of a single year though, unlike a certain mustachioed mascot who got whored out something awful during late-'11 to late-'12.

KaiserBecks

Not really as there were 3 of each made on the home consoles while there are at least 10x more mario games made in total. See this link for more details.

I'm having problems understanding your point here. What exactly is a "Mario Game"? And how is this worse than creating a new IP and making the same type of game 3 times in a row (not even counting 2 God of War games on PSP and 1 Uncharted on Vita)?

prwxv3

I can't believe there is a 7 page thread about a google add. I can see a huge thread if Kaz or someone else at top Sony management said this but not a google add.

rouken

There is not 100 different versions of either Uncharted, Killzone or God Of War.

Mario on the other hand, well - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_video_games_featuring_Mario

lol. you're comparing franchises that launched this decade to a franchise that's been on 2 decades of gaming and still popular like crazy and spawned games on multiple genres?

i do know that sony wants that kind of franchise on their system, you could see that they've tried a couple of times since the ps1 era (crash, spyro, jak, ratchet, sly, sackboy)

I was a pretty big console warrior last time around, but I'm over it now. I wonder if people ever only participate in one console war and we get new armies every generation.

SkylineRKR

lolz no one should take this seriously. Its marketing shit. I love it because these are funny lines and they actually do what they suppose to; they ignite talks.

Sony is, for the first time since 1995, a challenger again. And it shows. They try to make their brand look and sound cool just like they did back then. Might work out.

AniHawk

There are more games in the New Super Mario Bros franchise alone than main entries in all of the franchises you mentioned... That doesn't include all the other Mario games that also are mostly the same year in year out, or the remakes. I can't wait for the inevitable Super Mario 64U.

Sony gives plenty of great new IPs - The Last of Us and Beyond: Two Souls for two upcoming examples.

the last of us should be pretty good. beyond will probably be horrendous, but that's okay because it comes with this warning label:

255px-Quantic_Dream_Logo.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom